Pre-Game Talk: 2016 Canucks Development Camp

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Fantastic as always. Much appreciated.

Really looking forward to seeing Demko, Boeser, Stecher and Juolevi in the big boys camp. Not expecting anything out of the group, just want to see how they fit in.

Juolevi will get a good grasp of what he needs to do over the summer.

He won't be there. Back to school.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Excellent! Very balanced as well. Often I find that summaries of camps are so positive on almost every player that they aren't that useful. You've kept it very balanced and pointed out both the positives and the negatives which makes it very useful info for someone like me who hasn't seen a lot of some of these players.
Thanks.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Thanks, Orcatown. I appreciate your taking the time to give us your observations. Looks like Stukel might be one of those nice surprises for the future.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
I'm not sure what you mean by this?

Allow me to translate:

Mogilny to Bure said:
Though I did not attend the development camp myself, I have, upon close reading of the first-hand testimonial offered by those who were indeed present, concluded that Jakob Stukel is, unlike Jake Virtanen, a good hockey player.

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
I think it's funny that people who were hating on the Stukel pick because Ty Ronning was on the board, are now saying Stukel is a superior player than Jake Virtanen whom we drafted 6TH OVERALL

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Actually, the more I look at Stukel (which isn't much cause I didn't follow him at all before the draft) I'm getting excited about this pick. Had a down draft year because it was really his first in the league and he was coming off a major injury and a year lost. Then 34 goals (first on the team by a wide margin) and ppg in 56 games with Calgary.
I'll be watching this coming year with great curiosity...

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Actually, the more I look at Stukel (which isn't much cause I didn't follow him at all before the draft) I'm getting excited about this pick. Had a down draft year because it was really his first in the league and he was coming off a major injury and a year lost. Then 34 goals (first on the team by a wide margin) and ppg in 56 games with Calgary.
I'll be watching this coming year with great curiosity...

Eh, still a d+1 season and below PPG. Watched his highlights and I didn't see a lot of NHL style goals. Mostly out-speeded the D and finished in tight. No complaints for a 6th rounder but he sure looks a lot like a poor man's Emerson Etem to me. Not really getting the hype.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Although I do agree that Stukel does reminds me a bit of Virtanen.
But Stukel's speed, shot and hitting are all a downgrade when compared to Virtanen.
The gap is big enough to make one a top 10 pick and the other a 4th round pick

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
He looks faster than virt with a worse shot but better instincts close in tight to the goal.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Interesting, Lockwood reminded me a ton of Virtanen too in regards to skating style/stride + ability with his edges.

In regards to toolbox Virtanen is a grade A model for draft targets, it seems that Stukel and Lockwood have different utilizations of their tools than Virtanen but both could potentially reach the NHL based off of these tools. Time will tell, it is exciting though.

As long as we keep away from the McKenzie Stewart type selections and more towards offensive talents I am content.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
I think it's funny that people who were hating on the Stukel pick because Ty Ronning was on the board, are now saying Stukel is a superior player than Jake Virtanen whom we drafted 6TH OVERALL

He is not a superior player at this point.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010

its not that funny tbh

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Eh, still a d+1 season and below PPG. Watched his highlights and I didn't see a lot of NHL style goals. Mostly out-speeded the D and finished in tight. No complaints for a 6th rounder but he sure looks a lot like a poor man's Emerson Etem to me. Not really getting the hype.

Not getting too hyped. Just very curious about how he develops in the next two years.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Virtanen is without a doubt the most underrated prospect we've ever had.

Major shoulder surgery. Coach benches him after scoring 2 goals in 2 games.

Poor draft+1 season on a terrible team.

He's a power forward. Give him more than 1 season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad