Speculation: 2016-2017 Trade Rumors III - Free Agency Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
We're paying a left-shooting LW next season. He's big (6'3") and he isn't a big scorer, but has eclipsed 30 points. He would probably be the top LW on our depth chart.

Too bad we're paying him to play for Edmonton.

You got me excited and then threw me on the ground.

That trade has never ever made sense for me. Not like we lost Crosby but come on Bob

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

That trade has never ever made sense for me. Not like we lost Crosby but come on Bob

agreed.

I didn't like trading Maroon, as history as shown that 4th liners, who can fight, and actually play hockey are valuable. Maroon could also play in the top 6 if needed.

I didn't like the timing because IMO, you don't subtract forward depth at the deadline. Not when you're trying to be a contender.

The return is what makes that trade ****ing ass though. I consider getting a 4th and us retaining negative value. I'd easily rather have waived Maroon than retaining salary.

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
For what it's worth, this is pretty much what I thought GMBM meant by interesting i.e. it was a negative statement.

A) He knew resigning Lindholm/Rakell wouldn't be easy and that kind of puts everything on hold.
B) He almost has to trade one of the big three D. And try and get a decent return. While trying to trade one/some of the other defensemen instead/as well.
C) He doesn't have much to spend on forwards, especially not before issue B (and therefore A) is dealt with.

From our perspective it goes:
"Define interesting."
"Oh God, oh God, we're all gonna die."

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Maroon basically would make here what Raymond+Boll now makes + retention which we pay anyway. Let`s see how those 2 newcomers do, but oh well

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Maroon basically would make here what Raymond+Boll now makes + retention which we pay anyway. Let`s see how those 2 newcomers do, but oh well

Raymond may have a minor resurgence and do ok in a bottom 6 role for us but I can fairly confidently say that Boll won't be anything but a liability for us. The guy is a useless plug who should be on the minors.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Raymond may have a minor resurgence and do ok in a bottom 6 role for us but I can fairly confidently say that Boll won't be anything but a liability for us. The guy is a useless plug who should be on the minors.

Well, I guess he can't play hockey inside of a jail...:laugh:

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005

It's funny because it's true, it's sad because it's true.
Well, I guess he can't play hockey inside of a jail...:laugh:
Whydon'tyoutakeaseat.gif
For what it's worth, this is pretty much what I thought GMBM meant by interesting i.e. it was a negative statement.

A) He knew resigning Lindholm/Rakell wouldn't be easy and that kind of puts everything on hold.
B) He almost has to trade one of the big three D. And try and get a decent return. While trying to trade one/some of the other defensemen instead/as well.
C) He doesn't have much to spend on forwards, especially not before issue B (and therefore A) is dealt with.

From our perspective it goes:
"Define interesting."
"Oh God, oh God, we're all gonna die."
If he never intended to spend on forwards, why even bring up the "big left-shot LW"? He's just opening himself to disappointment.
agreed.

I didn't like trading Maroon, as history as shown that 4th liners, who can fight, and actually play hockey are valuable. Maroon could also play in the top 6 if needed.

I didn't like the timing because IMO, you don't subtract forward depth at the deadline. Not when you're trying to be a contender.

The return is what makes that trade ****ing ass though. I consider getting a 4th and us retaining negative value. I'd easily rather have waived Maroon than retaining salary.
"It's not a lot of money when it's an overpay and makes our GM look good. It's a lot of money when it's an overpay and it makes our GM look good for getting rid of it. It's a lot of money when it's savings and it make our GM look good. It's a lot of money when it's the difference between our offer and another team's offer and they choose the other team so it makes our GM look good. It's not a lot of money when our owners should raise our budget so it makes our GM look good."

DaDucks*

i think the maroon fans, and the pro rebuild group, could find common ground with Maroon being the top LW going into next season.

Oct 18, 2011
Vermette is just another bandaid just like santorelli/horcoff/raymond etc just a typical move for this organization to make, he won't be any sort of difference maker, we need a top 6 scoring winger even if rakell is in the top 6, you still have to construct a 3rd line that can score. this off-season is an unmitigated disaster

Markus078

Feb 26, 2003
Austria
Visit site
That's what happens when you can't draft forwards for ****

The Ducks are fine at drafting forwards, they just didn't pic them very often in the first round before this draft.

2015 #59 Nattinen - can be a top 6 player
2014 #10 Ritchie - can be a top 6 player
2013 #45 Sorenson - will be a fine middle 6 player if he stays healthy
2012 #38 Kerdiles - so far disappointment
2011 #30 Rakell - well on the way to be a top 6 player
2011 #53 Karlsson - middle 6 player

There is not much wrong with those choices and their progression.

Oct 18, 2011
lmao i forgot about jared boll, that's a carlyle special right there, i was fine with trading maroon but how idiotic is it that for what we're paying that guy+what we're paying the oilers for maroon, how the ducks end up with a far worse player. murray fails again.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
i think the maroon fans, and the pro rebuild group, could find common ground with Maroon being the top LW going into next season.

Probably. But do you not think Maroon is a better option to play bottom 6 minutes than any one of our forwards not named Rakell (assuming he's the 3C and not 1LW) next season?

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
The Ducks are fine at drafting forwards, they just didn't pic them very often in the first round before this draft.

In franchise history our best drafted forward outside of round 1 is Matt Cullen. We are not good at drafting forwards outside of round 1.

Rakell was a nice selection having good production this year and Ritchie has the size and skill just needs to work hard getting in better shape and become a top 6 player that is expected of him.

Hoping Nattinen becomes a top 6 forward but until he does...

Middle 6 players are fine but every team drafts many such players so...

I can't stand how bad we have been at drafting and developing forwards outside round 1 you would think we would be able to get a Benn or a Pavelski or even a Hornqvist quality player outside round 1.

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
In franchise history our best drafted forward outside of round 1 is Matt Cullen. We are not good at drafting forwards outside of round 1.

Rakell was a nice selection having good production this year and Ritchie has the size and skill just needs to work hard getting in better shape and become a top 6 player that is expected of him.

Hoping Nattinen becomes a top 6 forward but until he does...

Middle 6 players are fine but every team drafts many such players so...

I can't stand how bad we have been at drafting and developing forwards outside round 1 you would think we would be able to get a Benn or a Pavelski or even a Hornqvist quality player outside round 1.

You're right Anaheim hasn't done much for landing talent in late rounds. But when it comes to that, an extremely large portion of it falls down to luck. It's not like Dallas staff were sitting there in the 5th round going "alright, here's our art ross pick, lets go with Benn".

Scouting isn't an exact science especially when it comes to predicting which players from late rounds (with glaring holes in their game) will make drastic strides and become NHL stars. Unless it's being done consistently (Detroit is the only example I'd accept and even that is a small sample size), the majority of it is luck.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California

Look at 2010,2009,2008

Etem, DSP, Holland, Palmieri, Deschamps, O'Dell

Only Palmieri met expectations and he was given away.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Look at 2010,2009,2008

Etem, DSP, Holland, Palmieri, Deschamps, O'Dell

Only Palmieri met expectations and he was given away.

"I traded Palms because I didn't want to have to pay him next off-season".

How can anyone defend this clueless ****?

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
"I traded Palms because I didn't want to have to pay him next off-season".

How can anyone defend this clueless ****?

It doesn't need defending. Nobody can really believe Murray was serious about that. He didn't like something about KP's attitude or play and doesn't badmouth players, so he made something up. It ended up being utterly devoid of logic. No chance that was his actual thought process.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
It doesn't need defending. Nobody can really believe Murray was serious about that. He didn't like something about KP's attitude or play and doesn't badmouth players, so he made something up. It ended up being utterly devoid of logic. No chance that was his actual thought process.

Probably not. But what does it say for his thought process that that is what he came up with to go public with? That's right up there with "I didn't think they'd all sign so fast" and, "I should have processed the paperwork to make Gibson eligible for the AHL playoffs."

Sometimes you really have to wonder just what he is thinking. :shakehead

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
Probably not. But what does it say for his thought process that that is what he came up with to go public with? That's right up there with "I didn't think they'd all sign so fast" and, "I should have processed the paperwork to make Gibson eligible for the AHL playoffs."

Sometimes you really have to wonder just what he is thinking. :shakehead

BM Thinking "How can I get more swedes on this team?" "How can my feet smell if they don't have a nose" "Should I join valiant, mystic, or instinct"

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
lmao i forgot about jared boll, that's a carlyle special right there, i was fine with trading maroon but how idiotic is it that for what we're paying that guy+what we're paying the oilers for maroon, how the ducks end up with a far worse player. murray fails again.

This signing demonstrates to me that RC has not changed his ways at all. All his talk about learning to adapt to the modern game and the Ducks sign Boll? Not only to one season but Barstool and the hedgehog had the sense to sign this worthless player to a 2 year contract?

Hopefully I am wrong and Boll never sees the NHL ice but I will not be surprised when he is in the opening night lineup.

I also just noticed the Ducks are still paying Fistric! For several more years! He's our Bobby Bonilla!

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
This signing demonstrates to me that RC has not changed his ways at all. All his talk about learning to adapt to the modern game and the Ducks sign Boll? Not only to one season but Barstool and the hedgehog had the sense to sign this worthless player to a 2 year contract?

Hopefully I am wrong and Boll never sees the NHL ice but I will not be surprised when he is in the opening night lineup.

I also just noticed the Ducks are still paying Fistric! For several more years! He's our Bobby Bonilla!

I still don't understand the fistric buyout. I thought he was pretty decent with us and wasn't getting paid a ton from what I remember.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Didn't he have severe back issues? Would've been better to LTIR him.

Yeah, his back got really bad shortly after that deal was signed. He missed a lot of time off and on IIR. I'm not sure how we managed to find a healthy window where we could actually buy him out but we did.

Edit: LTIR only saves cap space which we had no issue with. He still would have had to be paid. A buyout saves us real money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad