Speculation: 2016-2017 Trade Rumors III - Free Agency Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
We were trying to win a cup, it wasn't unnecessary. The stupid part was not playing wiz even once in the playoffs.

It's still beyond me why people say this. Wiz was poor to bad in the games at the end of the regular season.

They lost 1 game in the first two rounds, why screw up the chemistry? No coach makes that move. After that, playing him required removing Beauchemin, removing Despres, or removing Vatanen. None of whom would he have been an upgrade for.

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
Common sense says we need more impact forwards. If you're staring at just the depth chart, than yes, LW is where the biggest vacancy goes. Although, that's partially because we have to have Rakell at center right now. Let's look at the current depth chart of who we know. I'm not going to include guys like Raymond, who are just there because of a lack of options:

____ - Getzlaf - Perry
Cogliano - Kesler - Silfverberg
____ - Rakell - ____
Garbutt - Wagner - Boll

Injured: Thompson

I see the reasoning behind wanting a LW. Don't get me wrong, I want a LW. However, IMO, if you're going to spend big money on a forward, make it a center. Rakell is a better winger, so not only are you getting a great center, but you also gain a top 6 winger. I just think the whole, LW, left handed thing gets very overblown. We had a great fit at LW in Perron. Rakell was also great on the twin's wing. Yeah, it's Getzlaf and Perry, but Murray mentioned that as the spot he wanted to "upgrade". That's a mistake. If you put all of your money on one line, we'll be the team that lost against Nashville the first time again.

One of the other reasons I want a center, is getting another great one, would give us a similar outline to the cup team (with out the elite defenseman though).

Cup year duos:
Getz-Perry
McDonald-Selanne
Pahlsson-Moen

Ideally, now:
Getz-Perry
RNH/Duchene-Rakell (possibly different winger depending on other moves we made)
Kesler-Silfverberg

Riddle me this batman, what's a more pressing NEED right now..top 6 LW or a top 6 center?

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Riddle me this batman, what's a more pressing NEED right now..top 6 LW or a top 6 center?

Would depend on quality of both obviously. I'd call Rakell a 3rd line center, but at wing, I'd consider him a top 6 winger. Therefore: Top 6 winger and 2nd line center > Top 6 winger and 3rd line center.

I'll put it this way. Give me Duchene over Landeskog easily.

Obviously we need more wingers because we can't even ice a team right now with out plugging AHL players all over the lineup.

My point is that if you're going to spend big money and big assets on another forward, I'll take the center. Makes us deeper, and Rakell has already proven to be a better winger.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Would depend on quality of both obviously. I'd call Rakell a 3rd line center, but at wing, I'd consider him a top 6 winger. Therefore: Top 6 winger and 2nd line center > Top 6 winger and 3rd line center.

Obviously we need more wingers because we can't even ice a team right now with out plugging AHL players all over the lineup.

My point is that if you're going to spend big money and big assets on another forward, I'll take the center. Makes us deeper, and Rakell has already proven to be a better winger.

Good point. I'll also add that Vermette can play LW. In the event that you're not using Cogliano with Kesler/Silfverberg for whatever reason, I think Vermette could slide nicely into that role while still providing insurance at center. He could also play with Rakell on LW but take most of the faceoff duties.

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012

Naturally everyone takes the center. A center would also cost more money and more in assets.

But realistically that's not happening. A top 6 LW will be easier to acquire and a more pressing need. Any center that comes in is probably gonna be considered a 3C(even Duchene) - like Raks. A center at this point is a luxury, not a need.

We don't have the forwards to even make a strong third line... If you get Duchene then have no one to put on his wing if you stick Rakell in the top 6

Landeskog Getz
Kes Silf
Rakell Perry

Is just as good as:

Getz Perry
Kes Silf
Duchene Raks

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Naturally everyone takes the center. A center would also cost more money and more in assets.

But realistically that's not happening. A top 6 LW will be easier to acquire and a more pressing need. Any center that comes in is probably gonna be considered a 3C(even Duchene) - like Raks. A center at this point is a luxury, not a need.

We don't have the forwards to even make a strong third line... If you get Duchene then have no one to put on his wing if you stick Rakell in the top 6

Landeskog Getz
Kes Silf
Rakell Perry

Is just as good as:

Getz Perry
Kes Silf
Duchene Raks

If you're strictly basing this off of a top 6/bottom 6, but in this case you'd have a stacked top 9, with 2 very capable offensive lines and one dynamite shutdown line at even strength.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

Again, that depends on the player. I know I sound like a broken record with the Landeskog talk, but since Murray has been linked to him, I think it's fair. Anyway, if Murray is interested in Landeskog, he knows he's going to pay a premium. I think Landeskog would take just as much, if not more, than Duchene.

Now, if it's someone like Tatar, you're correct. However, he's not in the same league as the two I mentioned.

If we're not talking someone the value of Landeskog, than you're right. However, Murray wanted an upgrade over Perron. Is Tatar an upgrade? Possibly, but I don't see how you let Perron walk, and then spend big assets on Tatar. It's possible, but it doesn't match Murray's comments IMO.

We don't have enough forwards if we just add a top 6 LW either, so this comment is irrelevant. So if we get a top 6 LW, how does that make us better as opposed to getting Duchene?

Landeskog Getz
Kes Silf
Rakell Perry

Is just as good as:

Getz Perry
Kes Silf
Duchene Raks

I strongly disagree.

Unless you're going to put a very strong defensively LW on Rakell and Perry's line, they're just going to get dominated by deep teams again. Rakell isn't good enough defensively and in the faceoff circle to be a center right now. He may be in a year or two, but like our said, our window is shrinking, not growing. That's why I say you think of "now" more than the future. Rakell is currently a much better winger than a center.

Edit: Let me point out that I would like Landeskog if we're going to trade Fowler for a LW. He's probably the best fit. I just don't think it's smart to spend big money/assets on another winger if you can get a nearly identical, value wise, center.

Last edited:

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
Again, that depends on the player. I know I sound like a broken record with the Landeskog talk, but since Murray has been linked to him, I think it's fair. Anyway, if Murray is interested in Landeskog, he knows he's going to pay a premium. I think Landeskog would take just as much, if not more, than Duchene.

Now, if it's someone like Tatar, you're correct. However, he's not in the same league as the two I mentioned.

If we're not talking someone the value of Landeskog, than you're right. However, Murray wanted an upgrade over Perron. Is Tatar an upgrade? Possibly, but I don't see how you let Perron walk, and then spend big assets on Tatar. It's possible, but it doesn't match Murray's comments IMO.

Unless you're going to put a very strong defensively LW on Rakell and Perry's line, they're just going to get dominated by deep teams again. Rakell isn't good enough defensively and in the faceoff circle to be a center right now. He may be in a year or two, but like our said, our window is shrinking, not growing.

How many teams can go deep to match up Raks Perry? Youve mentioned Pitt.. And they won the Stanley Cup. During the regular season, in a defensive zone face off.. You can go Kes Silf, Getz and his wing, 4th line center before you throw Rakell out there.

I'd rather have a C like RNH or Duchene, but in reality we probably have to settle for Tatar + . If we add a top 6 LW, we can rotate 3 lines and go to 2 stronger lines when necessary.. In reality.. Ducks are screwed either way.

Also ,
A top 6 LW doesn't have same value as top 6 center.. The center is more valuable

PhoenyX

Dec 13, 2009
Toronto
I don't care if we get a centre or LW, just as long as they can score 25+ goals for us. We need more than just Perry to score.

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
That may be true as well, but the shooting side was what was explicitly mentioned by Murray and made it sound like we had no interest whatsoever.

Solid excuse.. Sounds better than saying "David proffered his time in STL and was looking to go there."

More concerning for me, was Murray saying we couldn't come close to same term. But again, that can be posturing.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Solid excuse.. Sounds better than saying "David proffered his time in STL and was looking to go there."

More concerning for me, was Murray saying we couldn't come close to same term. But again, that can be posturing.
People seem to think Murray is the worst liar/spin control artist ever. Time after time again he says something that I think is dumb and ridiculous, but supposedly it's some kind of reasonable cover story? He offers such specific, otherwise weak excuses that I can't really do anything other than assume he's speaking the truth.

Why not just say something generic like "we were looking to go in another direction."

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Perron says all the right things after signing in STL, and everybody here wants to assume he never wanted to stay? That's weak. Players always say positive things when coming to a new team. And why not lay it on thick when he's been there before? Given Bob's statement about not being able to make a comparable offer and his constant blaming of the Swedes for how awful the roster currently looks, I'm inclined to believe Perron wasn't given a chance to stay.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Perron is like putting your money on red and hoping it hits...50/50. the guy could be a 30 goal scorer or a healthy scratch and I wouldn't be surprised either way. Personally, I'd rather spend $4 million on someone who was a bit more of a sure thing. We'll see what BM comes up with in return for Fowler.

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
Perron is like putting your money on red and hoping it hits...50/50. the guy could be a 30 goal scorer or a healthy scratch and I wouldn't be surprised either way. Personally, I'd rather spend $4 million on someone who was a bit more of a sure thing. We'll see what BM comes up with in return for Fowler.

He's never scored 30 goals before

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I think perron did well primarily because he played with Getzlaf and I wouldn't be surprised if stl is ttying to get out of that contract by the tdl. I don't think anyone in the league can slow the game down and control the pace like getzlaf and it just so happened that perron needed that pace to be effective.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I think perron did well primarily because he played with Getzlaf and I wouldn't be surprised if stl is ttying to get out of that contract by the tdl. I don't think anyone in the league can slow the game down and control the pace like getzlaf and it just so happened that perron needed that pace to be effective.

You may well be right. But right now he looks like Wayne Gretzky compared to the signings we've made so far.

SirQuacksALot

A Garibaldi in Kelp
Mar 16, 2010
You may well be right. But right now he looks like Wayne Gretzky compared to the signings we've made so far.

18dbk1.jpg

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
How many teams can go deep to match up Raks Perry? Youve mentioned Pitt.. And they won the Stanley Cup. During the regular season, in a defensive zone face off.. You can go Kes Silf, Getz and his wing, 4th line center before you throw Rakell out there.

That line struggled badly against deep, quick teams. Pittsburgh and Tampa immediately come to mind. Maybe not putting them with someone as slow and bad defensively as Maroon or McGinn will help, but we'd need a very good defensive forward, who has scoring touch to play with them. Not saying it'd be bad, but no where close to as good as the pairs with Duchene.

I'd rather have a C like RNH or Duchene, but in reality we probably have to settle for Tatar + . If we add a top 6 LW, we can rotate 3 lines and go to 2 stronger lines when necessary.. In reality.. Ducks are screwed either way.

This is all I was saying. Also that if Murray was going to spend big money on another forward, it should be a center. People get way too hung up on the LW thing IMO. Rakell was fine as a LW.

Also ,
A top 6 LW doesn't have same value as top 6 center.. The center is more valuable

Agreed. That's just another reason to prefer a top 6 center like I was saying though...

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
People seem to think Murray is the worst liar/spin control artist ever. Time after time again he says something that I think is dumb and ridiculous, but supposedly it's some kind of reasonable cover story? He offers such specific, otherwise weak excuses that I can't really do anything other than assume he's speaking the truth.

Why not just say something generic like "we were looking to go in another direction."

Yeah, Murray gets a lot of excuses here that I don't understand. He was quoted of saying "I traded Palmieri because I didn't want to have to pay him next off-season" which is one of the dumbest ****ing things I've ever heard a GM say. Posters defending Murray said "he didn't mean it". Da****?

Perron says all the right things after signing in STL, and everybody here wants to assume he never wanted to stay? That's weak. Players always say positive things when coming to a new team. And why not lay it on thick when he's been there before? Given Bob's statement about not being able to make a comparable offer and his constant blaming of the Swedes for how awful the roster currently looks, I'm inclined to believe Perron wasn't given a chance to stay.

Agreed. It's unfair to say Perron didn't want to be here, when Murray admitted that he couldn't offer the same contract, which was very fair.

Perron was nearly PPG here until his injury. He was physical and had great chemistry on Getzlaf's LW. What 4 million dollar player that's available is going to do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad