Speculation: 2016-2017 Trade Rumors III - Free Agency Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
He wasn't particularly worth a 1st rounder, but I do think the signs were there that he could have improved his stock.

That said, when there is talk about trying to sell off prospects before their value drops, this could be a situation where Murray did try to do that and just guessed wrong.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I understand the frustration with moving KP, especially for the return. He was definitely worth a 1st rounder and didn't like the move from the get go. Glass half full though, we wouldn't have Nattinen w/out trading KP. I think there were multiple reasons BM got rid of KP that have been mentioned in the past and KP went to a better situation for himself. I'm happy with Nattinen and his potential for our future.

People are judging what Palmieri was worth based on last year, not on his performance prior to being traded. He was inconsistent, couldn't stay healthy, and disappeared in the playoffs two straight seasons. His career high was 14 goals and 31 points. That's middle 6 production, and that doesn't net you a 1st rounder as a return.

I definitely don't think Palmieri was worth a 1st going into last off-season.

What upsets me about that whole ordeal is that we traded him for futures, which is exactly what we didn't need. Plus, last season, we had the perfect spot for him.

If he was traded for a more proven scorer, I could understand the reasoning. What Murray did and said was just **** all around with this move.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I definitely don't think Palmieri was worth a 1st going into last off-season.

What upsets me about that whole ordeal is that we traded him for futures, which is exactly what we didn't need. Plus, last season, we had the perfect spot for him.

If he was traded for a more proven scorer, I could understand the reasoning. What Murray did and said was just **** all around with this move.

How are we supposed to trade a inconsistent scorer for a more proven scorer? Sometimes trading a player who isn't working for futures and pieces that were used to add another player is a good option.

We didn't really have a spot for him at the start of the season. He wasn't playing with Getz or Kes. At the time, Rakell was playing LW with Getz; so that leaves Palms playing on the 3rd line like usual where he continues to be another inconsistent scorer.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
How are we supposed to trade a inconsistent scorer for a more proven scorer? Sometimes trading a player who isn't working for futures and pieces that were used to add another player is a good option. .

Like I said in an earlier post, I meant as part of a package for a better player.

As for the bold: That's correct, but when we dealt Palmieri was probably the exact opposite of the right time. You know it's a mistake when we're having guys like Santorelli and Garbutt tried on the top line.

We didn't really have a spot for him at the start of the season. He wasn't playing with Getz or Kes. At the time, Rakell was playing LW with Getz; so that leaves Palms playing on the 3rd line like usual where he continues to be another inconsistent scorer.

I am just stunned that someone can believe this. Bruce said it all off-season that he wanted to spread the scoring out, and that Getz and Perry would be tried on separate lines.

I just don't understand this part. When do you consider it "at the time"? Palms was traded in the off-season. We most certainly had a spot for him then. When he left, we filled that vacated spot with Stewart.

To start last pre-season, Getz and Perry were split up. They were also split up to start the regular season. I am not sure how you can come to the conclusion that there was no spot for him.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Like I said in an earlier post, I meant as part of a package for a better player.

As for the bold: That's correct, but when we dealt Palmieri was probably the exact opposite of the right time. You know it's a mistake when we're having guys like Santorelli and Garbutt tried on the top line.

I am just stunned that someone can believe this. Bruce said it all off-season that he wanted to spread the scoring out, and that Getz and Perry would be tried on separate lines.

I just don't understand this part. When do you consider it "at the time"? Palms was traded in the off-season. We most certainly had a spot for him then. When he left, we filled that vacated spot with Stewart.

To start last pre-season, Getz and Perry were split up. They were also split up to start the regular season. I am not sure how you can come to the conclusion that there was no spot for him.

Because splitting up Getz and Perry didn't work until we got Perron, so Bruce stopped trying it. At that point, there wouldn't be a top 6 spot for Palms. Palms wasn't really suited for a bottom 6 role, which is the only role he was getting here.

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
Because splitting up Getz and Perry didn't work until we got Perron, so Bruce stopped trying it. At that point, there wouldn't be a top 6 spot for Palms. Palms wasn't really suited for a bottom 6 role, which is the only role he was getting here.

You will never change the views of some on that trade.

You are either in the BM traded a young 30 goal score for a second round pick camp, or the Silf beat our Palms for the second line RW during the playoffs and there was not a spot for him in the top 6 camp.

If Palms had an average year(like the year he was traded), we would not be discussing that trade. The problem is that he had a great year.

I was a big fan of Palms, but I was still okay with the trade at the time since Silf had a break out playoffs.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
You have to remember that the team had high hopes for hagelin who was supposed to add a lot more scoring and speed to the team. When hagelin didn't work out and palmsee excelled in a different system it made the whole palms deal look a lot worse.

The one thing I respect from Bruce is that he puts on premium on playoff performance and palms was horrible in the playoffs and hagelin was known as a big time playoff performer in new York and which was evident with pit. If your game drops off significantly in the playoffs when everything speeds up I would take a serious look at trading you as well.

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
While i do think we're still a playoff team, i expect our next window for the cup to be in two years, 2018. Vatanen, silf, manson, should be in their primes. Hampus should be a #1 by then. Theodore and Montour should be coming into the team, possibly Larsson. While Getz and Perry will be older, their actual salaries I do believe will be less.

Plus we get 10 million when cogliano, bieksa, and stoner (if all are still around then) come off the books.

That's my hope at least to get me through this trying offseason.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
People are judging what Palmieri was worth based on last year, not on his performance prior to being traded. He was inconsistent, couldn't stay healthy, and disappeared in the playoffs two straight seasons. His career high was 14 goals and 31 points. That's middle 6 production, and that doesn't net you a 1st rounder as a return.

His per game and per minute production was of a second liner. His 2014 playoffs he had 3 goals in 9 games playing barely any minutes, there was no issue there. In 2013 he was one of our best forwards with 3 goals in 5 games. At $1.4M and a gaping hole on Getzlaf's right wing there was no reason to trade him. IMO he shouldn't have been traded for a second, BM was better off holding on to him.

And I'm not playing the hindsight game, I disagreed with the trade at the time (unless we were going to add a legit top 6 player to replace him which we didn't) and I still disagree with it now.

The one thing I respect from Bruce is that he puts on premium on playoff performance and palms was horrible in the playoffs and hagelin was known as a big time playoff performer in new York and which was evident with pit. If your game drops off significantly in the playoffs when everything speeds up I would take a serious look at trading you as well.

Hagelin wasn't a big game performer in 2015 with only 2 goals in 19 games. He was good in 2014 with 7 goals in 25 games but also had a year with 0 goals in 17 games. He's very up and down in terms of playoff production. Last season he was lucky enough to click and get hot on the Bonino and Kessel line.

Oct 18, 2011
palmieri never had a consistent role, his p/60 suggested he should see consistent top 6 minutes and PP time, and that translated to the devils when he was put in that role and the team didn't demote him down the lineup everytime he had a slump

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I don't remember hagelin in the playoffs for the Rangers but I remember several Rangers fans saying he stepped it up in the playoffs. Points don't always tell the story.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
I don't remember hagelin in the playoffs for the Rangers but I remember several Rangers fans saying he stepped it up in the playoffs. Points don't always tell the story.

That was the story, and he wound up being on the most productive playoff line this year so go figure. I think that was why Murray went for him, but he just didn't fit this team at all.

Oct 18, 2011
before he was traded he was starting to fit in, but perron was so good it all worked out, which is why it irritates me murray did not fight harder to re-sign perron, considering what he went to STL for

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
before he was traded he was starting to fit in, but perron was so good it all worked out, which is why it irritates me murray did not fight harder to re-sign perron, considering what he went to STL for

Yeah, the couple games before he was traded the line of him, Kes and Silf started to gel. I also think he was dealing with an injury, because he wasn't very fast and that's his calling card. No inside information on that, maybe it was just mental, but it definitely appeared he wasn't full speed.

Perron just mentioned he would have preferred staying in Anaheim, but that he would have left a lot of money on the table. He also left money on the table to go to Stl over MTL, so BM was lowballing him. I wish we could have kept him as well, but I think BM knows we need 2 top 6 guys and a ballpark of what it'll take to resign Rakell/Lindholm. If we could have dumped Stoner at the draft, maybe we do resign Perron, but BM said he wasn't comfortable signing Perron (at the requested $$$) without having Rakell/Lindholm signed.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

It didn't work because we didn't have a winger good enough for that top RW spot next to Getzlaf.

The point is that they wanted those two to be on separate lines all off-season. It didn't work well until Perron got here, because Stewart sucks, and Hagelin was a terrible fit. Considering that Palmieri's best stretches were when he was on his natural side, and the how productive he was last season; it's not far fetched that he would have been a much better option than anyone that played on Getzlaf's RW not named Perry. So yes, there was a spot for him. There's a reason they had the twin's split up all pre-season and opening night.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
So... Jake Gardiner and Josh Manson are better players than Fowler.

There an amazing amount of shallow thinking on the main boards.

Also, water is still wet.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Jakob Silferberg and Josh Manson are the best players on the Ducks. We should look in to trading Lindholm and Getzlaf before the league gets wise.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Trading Lindholm or fellow top 10 defenseman Josh Manson would be ridiculous guys. Crazy how most people don't realize Manson is that good yet.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Careful now, we wouldn't want to give Rangers and Sabres fans more ammo. :laugh:

Ah, but he is. He's the 7th ranked defenseman in Corsi differential from last season on NHL.com, and since nothing else matters in hockey he's the 7th best defenseman in the league. Hockey is so simple now that I have achieved enlightenment.

My god this site has brought my sarcasm to new heights this summer.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Ah, but he is. He's the 7th ranked defenseman in Corsi differential from last season on NHL.com, and since nothing else matters in hockey he's the 7th best defenseman in the league. Hockey is so simple now that I have achieved enlightenment.

My god this site has brought my sarcasm to new heights this summer.

Ever since the league started to Crack down on fighting and rivalries corsi stat nerds replaced the old school fans.
This website is the product and why hockey is not as entertaining as it used to be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad