2016-17 roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Matty P works his butt off on the boards, but Petan and Dano have yet to play enough with us to show they're effective there. Simply put though, they can get out muscled regardless of how tenacious they are.

And whatever line they are up against will get out skilled, out quicked and out speeded regardless of how big they are. If you find a player who is skilled, quick, fast and big keep him. They are pretty rare. By itself, size is not a factor. All else being equal it is better to have more size but all else is rarely equal. These small players have been succeeding against bigger players all their lives by using the attributes they have to counteract the effects of size. And they have probably not had a 'minder' looking after them much of the time. A 'minder' is seldom effective even if he is on the ice at the appropriate time.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I really really really like this. Personally I'd like to add one more veteran top 6 forward to that but otherwise it's pretty perfect. Have Petan/Armia/Dano/Lowry/Burmi rotating in around the bottom 4 spots (all would play lots and injuries happen). Maybe release Albert and Brassard and add some borderline NHLer/key AHLers for callups.

However I am much too jaded to even try to hope for something resembling that.

Ehlers - Scheifele - Wheeler
Perreault - Little - Stafford
Connor - Burmi - Armia
Lowry - Copp - Dano
There are some Question marks there. If we draft a near ready NHLer or if Petan pushes his way in what happens to Stafford? I don' t see him as a particlarly good fit in that lineup. I prefer trading him before the draft for a pick or two. Chevy may see value in his experience and want him around as insurance in case one of the kids is less ready than expected. Will Copp be 4C or will it be Lowry? Maybe they will switch back and forth occassionaly. Will Burmi play 3C? Recent play says yes but if not Perreault and Lowry are options.

Thor and Peluso though should never see the ice except for a few select games. Even when there are injuries there will be better options in the A. If we limit this to when we are healthy I think TNSE will have to recognize that there is no place for those 2. Will Maurice really choose Thor over Lowry/Dano?

Trouba - Buff
Enstrom - Myers
Morrissey - Postma
That's what it should be but given Maurice's dislike of Postma I expect Stu will still slot in on the 3rd pair. He may be on the right side or maybe he makes Morrissey move over. Alternatvely we get Chiarot there. Mau didn't seem to mind using him that way despite his not very good play on the right. Better than Stu at least.

I understand your skepticism but it is going to be much harder to rationalize playing those 3 next year. Just as he had to let go of Slater and Harrison after last year I believe he will accept that Thor, Peluso and Stu just can't win spots any longer.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Ehlers - Scheifele - Wheeler
Perreault - Little - Stafford
Connor - Burmi - Armia
Lowry - Copp - Dano
There are some Question marks there. If we draft a near ready NHLer or if Petan pushes his way in what happens to Stafford? I don' t see him as a particlarly good fit in that lineup. I prefer trading him before the draft for a pick or two. Chevy may see value in his experience and want him around as insurance in case one of the kids is less ready than expected. Will Copp be 4C or will it be Lowry? Maybe they will switch back and forth occassionaly. Will Burmi play 3C? Recent play says yes but if not Perreault and Lowry are options.

Thor and Peluso though should never see the ice except for a few select games. Even when there are injuries there will be better options in the A. If we limit this to when we are healthy I think TNSE will have to recognize that there is no place for those 2. Will Maurice really choose Thor over Lowry/Dano?

Trouba - Buff
Enstrom - Myers
Morrissey - Postma
That's what it should be but given Maurice's dislike of Postma I expect Stu will still slot in on the 3rd pair. He may be on the right side or maybe he makes Morrissey move over. Alternatvely we get Chiarot there. Mau didn't seem to mind using him that way despite his not very good play on the right. Better than Stu at least.

I understand your skepticism but it is going to be much harder to rationalize playing those 3 next year. Just as he had to let go of Slater and Harrison after last year I believe he will accept that Thor, Peluso and Stu just can't win spots any longer.

Sign me up! Im too lazy to dig up the thread for the 2017-18 rosters so lets have a peak.
Ehlers Scheif Wheeler
Connor Little PulJu/Laine/Nylander OR Petan if we draft D man
Dano MP Armia
Lowry Copp Lemieux

I think MP stays if we draft Chych, and he goes if we don't.

Enstrom Buff
Chych Trouba
Morrissey Myers

I think Stu goes if we draft Chych, he gets extended for 5 years if we don't ;)

Helly
Comrie

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Sign me up! Im too lazy to dig up the thread for the 2017-18 rosters so lets have a peak.
Ehlers Scheif Wheeler
Connor Little PulJu/Laine/Nylander OR Petan if we draft D man
Dano MP Armia
Lowry Copp Lemieux

I think MP stays if we draft Chych, and he goes if we don't.

Enstrom Buff
Chych Trouba
Morrissey Myers

I think Stu goes if we draft Chych, he gets extended for 5 years if we don't ;)

Helly
Comrie

Not sure how Chevy will handle MP. I would consider him part of the veteran core that is shepherding the kids. Great by example leader. Great productivity and Corsi. I extend him 3 year (about 4.5 AAV) this off season. He is just too good to lose. We do not want to risk becoming the Oil by getting rid of too many veterans. With MP and counting Scheif as a vet we only have 4 in our starting 12. Stafford is the one to go if we start overflowing with Fs.

I don't believe there is any possibility of Stu being extended even 5 minutes. In spite of all his good work that would be a firing offense for Chevy. Stu's current contract is bad enough.

Chych is borderline NHL ready. I expect he would do another year of junior. But even if he wins a job and we go with your D I think Stu stays around somewhere until his contract expires.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Not sure how Chevy will handle MP. I would consider him part of the veteran core that is shepherding the kids. Great by example leader. Great productivity and Corsi. I extend him 3 year (about 4.5 AAV) this off season. He is just too good to lose. We do not want to risk becoming the Oil by getting rid of too many veterans. With MP and counting Scheif as a vet we only have 4 in our starting 12. Stafford is the one to go if we start overflowing with Fs.

I don't believe there is any possibility of Stu being extended even 5 minutes. In spite of all his good work that would be a firing offense for Chevy. Stu's current contract is bad enough.

Chych is borderline NHL ready. I expect he would do another year of junior. But even if he wins a job and we go with your D I think Stu stays around somewhere until his contract expires.

I have no problem with Stu and Thor on this team to provide leadership. The question is, why can't they do it being #7 and 13 on the depth chart next season. They can show kids the ropes, lead by example and step in just fine when there is injury, or Thor can step in if you want a scrapper. This is where PMo needs to figure it out. If those guys don't like those roles than Chevy needs to trade them both but first step would be for coach to put the best 20 on the ice. I really wish someone in the media would just grill him a bit more about Stu and his advanced stats.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
And whatever line they are up against will get out skilled, out quicked and out speeded regardless of how big they are. If you find a player who is skilled, quick, fast and big keep him. They are pretty rare. By itself, size is not a factor. All else being equal it is better to have more size but all else is rarely equal. These small players have been succeeding against bigger players all their lives by using the attributes they have to counteract the effects of size. And they have probably not had a 'minder' looking after them much of the time. A 'minder' is seldom effective even if he is on the ice at the appropriate time.

Ehhh I disagree. Petan's the only skill player on the line, Dano's a shooter with average hands and Perreault is more of a two way player that bangs home 15-20 a season if he's not injured. None of them are particularly slow, but speed isn't as relevant when a guy like Petan is the one you're relying on to drive the play as he tends to slow it down. The debate was whether Armia was a better option on RW than Dano, and would compliment the other two better. I like his size, puck handling, passing, and possession for the most part. I felt he would bring a bit more along the boards and help balance the line with a bit more size to make room for the other two. It wasn't a comment to mean small = bad, and it seems to have been taken out of context.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I am going to assume no draft picks from this year make the team.

Here is the team I would like to see start the 2016-2017 season in no order...

Connor - Scheifele - Armia
Ehlers - Little - Wheeler
Perreault - Lowry - Dano
Lemieux- Copp - Burmi
Thorburn --------------->Pressbox

Chiarot Buff
Enstrom Trouba
Morrissey Myers
Stuart Postma -----------Pressbox

Helle Hutch

What I think we'll see, in no order...

Perreault - Little- Stafford
Ehlers - Scheifele- Wheeler
Connor - Lowry - Armia
Burmi- Copp - Dano
Thorburn --------------->Pressbox

Morrissey Buff
Stuart Trouba
Enstrom Myers
Chiarot Postma -----------Pressbox

Pavs Helle

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
2018-2019 roster in no order...

Connor Scheif Armia
Ehlers PLD Roslovic
Perreault Petan Dano
Lowry Copp Spacek

Morrissey Trouba
Niku Buff
Poolman Hamonic

Helle Comrie

Last edited:

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
With a little lottery luck, or just a top 4 finish, this would be pretty good IMO:

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Perreault-Little-Stafford
Connor-Matthews/PLD-Armia
Lowry (maybe Lemieux?)-Copp-Dano

Trouba-Byfuglien
Morrissey-Myers
Enstrom-Postma (maybe Poolman?)

Hellebuyck
Pavelec

That top 9 looks unreal IMO. Obviously that means we got some lottery luck, but that is 3 very even, highly offensive lines. The 4th line can be more of a shutdown line that can chip in some goals here and there. Especially if Lemieux makes it.

On D, I feel Morrissey is ready. But he's only there if TNSE finally does what's right and cuts ties to Stu. The only other question is that 3rd pairing RHD, which Postma deserves unless Poolman signs and has a real good camp.

In net, Helle starts and Pavs is a very overpaid backup.

??

Profit

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I have no problem with Stu and Thor on this team to provide leadership. The question is, why can't they do it being #7 and 13 on the depth chart next season. They can show kids the ropes, lead by example and step in just fine when there is injury, or Thor can step in if you want a scrapper. This is where PMo needs to figure it out. If those guys don't like those roles than Chevy needs to trade them both but first step would be for coach to put the best 20 on the ice. I really wish someone in the media would just grill him a bit more about Stu and his advanced stats.

I will be surprised if Thor, Peluso and Stu do not spend next year in the PB. I wish I was more confident in that statement. :laugh: I do have some doubt, deep down. But nothing else makes sense.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ehhh I disagree. Petan's the only skill player on the line, Dano's a shooter with average hands and Perreault is more of a two way player that bangs home 15-20 a season if he's not injured. None of them are particularly slow, but speed isn't as relevant when a guy like Petan is the one you're relying on to drive the play as he tends to slow it down. The debate was whether Armia was a better option on RW than Dano, and would compliment the other two better. I like his size, puck handling, passing, and possession for the most part. I felt he would bring a bit more along the boards and help balance the line with a bit more size to make room for the other two. It wasn't a comment to mean small = bad, and it seems to have been taken out of context.

I don't think the specific players matter. You are trying to defend the idea that small, skilled players require large linemates to allow them to be effective. I disagree. If it is a specific argument of Armia over Dano then Perreault and Petan are irrelevant. Right now I'm a little more confident in Armia than in Dano but I'm hoping Dano shows up at TC more ready than he has been.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
With a little lottery luck, or just a top 4 finish, this would be pretty good IMO:

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler

Trouba-Byfuglien
Morrissey-Myers

Hellebuyck
Pavelec

That top 9 looks unreal IMO. Obviously that means we got some lottery luck, but that is 3 very even, highly offensive lines. The 4th line can be more of a shutdown line that can chip in some goals here and there. Especially if Lemieux makes it.

On D, I feel Morrissey is ready. But he's only there if TNSE finally does what's right and cuts ties to Stu. The only other question is that 3rd pairing RHD, which Postma deserves unless Poolman signs and has a real good camp.

??

Profit

Don't know why you would expect more scoring from Lemieux than from Lowry. Compare their last years in junior. Lowry was no sloutch scoring at that level.

Last edited:

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Don't know why you would e pect more scoring from Lemieux than from Lowry. Compare their last years in junior. Lowry was no sloutch scoring at that level.

My expectation is that Lem outscores Lows over his career, but I don't think he'll be in the bigs next season

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler

Trouba-Byfuglien
Morrissey-Myers

Hellebuyck
Pavelec

??

Profit

I bet they profit regardless of the roster

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler

Trouba-Byfuglien
Morrissey-Myers

Hellebuyck
Pavelec

??

Profit

Matthews I would put on the 3rd line. I'd send PLD back though regardless of how good he looks in TC.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

Not even his advance stats... Stu sucks in goal differential too (which is what advance stats are all about predicting).

I agree with your point on Stu/Thor though. I'm fine with these guys giving their all and adding intangible value by helping player development with our youth, but do this in a reduced role.

This is exactly what Shawn Thornton got re-signed in Florida. They know he's not really adding any on-ice value anymore. He's just another staff member like a coach or trainer but his contract hits the cap. I mean, optimally you'd want to hire the guy as a coach rather than take the cap hit, but neither Jets nor Panthers are going to be cap ceiling teams anyways...

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Next October:

Ehlers Schiefele Wheeler
Connor Little Armia
Petan Perreault Puljajarvi
Lowry Copp Lemieux

Trouba Byfuglien
Enstrom Myers
Morrisey Postma

Hellebuyck
Pavelec

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Next October:

Ehlers Schiefele Wheeler
Connor Little Armia
Lowry Copp Lemieux

Trouba Byfuglien
Enstrom Myers
Morrisey Postma

Hellebuyck
Pavelec

I know it's hard to keep track of all these options, but Dano seems to be missing.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Next October:

Ehlers Schiefele Wheeler
Connor Little Armia
Lowry Copp Lemieux

Trouba Byfuglien
Enstrom Myers
Morrisey Postma

Hellebuyck
Pavelec

Connor starts on the 2nd line? Where are Stafford, Dano and Burmi?

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Connor starts on the 2nd line? Where are Stafford, Dano and Burmi?

I know it was a long time ago but Ehlers started in the 2LW hole last October. Sometimes that's where the best place for a new player is. With his talent and speed he belongs in the top 6 but yeah he'll probably need to be seasoned on the 3rd line.

I hope Burmi and Stafford are moved on from. Don't like those players.

I legit forgot about Dano. I guess he can fit in pretty much anywhere except ESW. I really don't know what kind of player he will become.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad