2016-17 roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
Glad this thread was made.

I don't know if you can go into this assuming we get a top three pick. If you build your roster based on what we know for sure, then it's a lot easier to determine where our needs are and where the bottlenecks might be.

I imagine our top 6 being absolutely locked in for next year, as follows:

Wheeler- Scheifele- Ehlers
Stafford- Little - Perreault

Now, I know some feel Armia, etc. could move up to replace some of those second line guys, and some are considering trading Stafford but for the sake of not getting too abstract we should deal with players strictly in the system right now.

That means there are 6 bottom six positions, which I imagine like this

Armia- Burmistrov - Dano
Thorburn- Copp - Lowry

The only reason I put Thor there is because I can't imagine management doing anything else but what they've done with him his whole career up to this point. I want to be proven wrong, but unfortunately this exercise is based in realism and here we are. I hate that 4th line, btw. Not totally sold on Lowry yet, and I think there are more dynamic players that could take his place...however, where's he to go? Maybe swapping with Dano on the third line?

I also have reason to believe they are going to continue to give Dano NHL minutes, rather than send him back to the AHL. I also think they like Copp up with the big club.

THE REST

These are the guys that are in the running for roster spots, listed roughly in order of which are going to make the jump the quickest

Peluso - He'll be the 6th forward. I hate it, but again...realism. They can't seem to part with him, so there's no reason to think it'll change.

Petan - Might be the guy that slots in if any one of the others gets traded.
Connor- I put him here because while I think he signs with the Jets this year, he won't make the team in his first season. Not that he's not necessarily good enough, I just can't see who they're gonna move out to make room for him.
Lipon- I think he's shown enough to have him as a legitimate 4th line replacement. Once he gets to the big club, he could very well stick. Better to start the year in the AHL though.
Kosmachuk- I like what I've seen, but again...AHL player for now.
Lemieux- Definitely needs some pro seasoning. I'm unfamiliar with him, but there's no benefit in trying to rush him up.

Who am I forgetting....aside from our potential draft pick.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Peluso and Thorburn are still gonna play regular minutes and tear down our 4th line next year imo. We'll see but i haven't seen anything yet in meaningful soruations that has changed my opinion on chevy and maurice making smart decisions in the bottom 6.

I'm afraid we might see Thorbs on the 4th line next year. I could actually see Thorbs starting to get some spot duty, like Peluso this season (maybe for selected games where Maurice thinks he wants a bigger / tougher line-up, for some reason).

I would be very surprised if we see both on the same game roster. If Thorbs is injured, we might see Peluso sub in for certain games.

I would be surprised if Thorbs gets more than 7-8 minutes a game in the games he plays.

If the Jets are in a race, I could see Maurice sitting Thorbs for long stretches.

Tombsy

Jun 23, 2011
Any predictions on contracts for the RFAs?

I had one buddy suggest Lowry get 8 x 4 (32mil) :shakehead

I figured 2 x 1.5 max.

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
Any predictions on contracts for the RFAs?

I had one buddy suggest Lowry get 8 x 4 (32mil) :shakehead

I figured 2 x 1.5 max.

Agree more with you.

There are a lot of guys who want Lowry to succeed so badly, but after having seen a little bit of what's coming I don't think we need to promise him anything yet. Let him compete with the rest of the kids, imo.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Screen_Shot_2016_03_23_at_12_39_43_PM.png

What I'd suggest to Maurice if no trades, buyouts, or FA signings... (yes I know this would not happen)

Also, if Fin drafted instead, shift Little to 2C and put Fin on wing.
If lower draft (guy getting sent back to CHL/USHL/NCAA), slide Little to 2C and graduate Dano and Armia. Let 4th line be a fight to the death between Moose players for either wing or Copp at 4C and move Burmi to wing.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Overall I agree with the rosters posted on this thread with a couple of exceptions. Why is Copp being penciled in as the 4th line C? At this point lowry and burmi are both better than him for being that same kind of player. Copp could benefit from a year in the minors so that he can feel some genuine offense again.

Stafford needs to be traded. I see no room for him in the jets top 6 and he is crap in a bottom 6 role. We should trade him at the draft for a pick.

Stafford's slot should be given to a veteran bottom 6 player like Stempniak acquired from free agency to provide some stability and proven success. I would want Chevy to go out and offer Stempniak a 2 year 2.75 million per year contract and have him be the leadership core on the bottom lines. Not only that, he would also be nice bait for the expansion draft

Petan/Scheif/Wheeler
Ehlers/Little/Dano
Connor/Perrault/Armia
Lowry/Burmi/Stempniak

It sucks to split up Schwheelers line but doing so gives us 3 balanced scoring lines and one good defensive line that can pitch in

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

What I'd suggest to Maurice if no trades, buyouts, or FA signings... (yes I know this would not happen)

If lower draft (guy getting sent back to CHL/USHL/NCAA), slide Little to 2C and graduate Dano and Armia. Let 4th line be a fight to the death between Moose players for either wing or Copp at 4C and move Burmi to wing.

I really really really like this. Personally I'd like to add one more veteran top 6 forward to that but otherwise it's pretty perfect. Have Petan/Armia/Dano/Lowry/Burmi rotating in around the bottom 4 spots (all would play lots and injuries happen). Maybe release Albert and Brassard and add some borderline NHLer/key AHLers for callups.

However I am much too jaded to even try to hope for something resembling that.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB

How do you think that Moose lineup will do?

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg

I'm maybe not as high on Dano yet as you are. Why him above Armia after how dominant Armia was beginning to look before his injury? The guy is a big bodied checking machine who has good puck handling and an eye for his teammates. Dano was referred to as still an amateur by Maurice, indicating his effort wasn't always there. He's looked okay so far with Burmi and Perreault, but they were nowhere near the line of Ladd/Lowry/Armia who looked down right scary to play against.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I like this. I think Perreault plays C instead of Petan to begin.

What did we get for Stafford? Probably not that much in the off-season. Maybe more at the TDL.

I'd play Armia above Dano. He's impressed me more than Dano so far.

Quite soon I want to shuffle things around and have Connor and Ehlers on the same line.

thistleswamp

Second Overall
Jun 7, 2011
Deloraine

Stafford?

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
I'm maybe not as high on Dano yet as you are. Why him above Armia after how dominant Armia was beginning to look before his injury? The guy is a big bodied checking machine who has good puck handling and an eye for his teammates. Dano was referred to as still an amateur by Maurice, indicating his effort wasn't always there. He's looked okay so far with Burmi and Perreault, but they were nowhere near the line of Ladd/Lowry/Armia who looked down right scary to play against.

I wasn't particularly impressed with that line. To my eye, Perreault-Burmi-Dano has been better + played tougher minutes.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Agree with this vis-a-vis Dano versus Armia. I think Armia has a much more sophisticated game in all zones, and Maurice has started to love what he brings. I think we'll see him play with more skilled players, and continue to build a role on the PK.

thistleswamp

Second Overall
Jun 7, 2011
Deloraine
Any concerns starting two rookies on the same line
(eg. Connor - Matthews - Little)
even with the potential offensive firepower, you don't think they may be in a little too deep defensively? Or do we shelter them, thus taking away minutes from Little - who historically has excelled against top competition?

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
ehlers - chef - wheels

connor - litts - armia

perreault - petan - laine

burmi - lowry - dano

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
Ehlers Scheifele Wheeler
Stafford Little Armia
Connor Perrault Petan
Dano Lowry Lipon
Burmi Thorburn

Trouba Byfuglien
Enstrom Myers
Morrisey Postma
Chiarot

Helle
Pavelec

Moose: Stuart, Peluso, Copp

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Stafford?

Oops. Oh well. Only one trade then. Stafford for picks. Too lazy to adjust... It's too late now; I'm too deep in.

Any concerns starting two rookies on the same line
(eg. Connor - Matthews - Little)
even with the potential offensive firepower, you don't think they may be in a little too deep defensively? Or do we shelter them, thus taking away minutes from Little - who historically has excelled against top competition?

Not really, no concerns.

Rookies are only an issue when they are not better than the alternative.

Last edited:

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
I wasn't particularly impressed with that line. To my eye, Perreault-Burmi-Dano has been better + played tougher minutes.

When I watched them they hemmed teams in their own zone and dominated possession for lengthy shifts. Dano strikes me as more of a finisher, someone kind of like Ladd who parks his ass in front of the net and knocks in rebounds or loose pucks near the slot. Only place I think he's got Armia beat is his shot, at least for now.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
When I watched them they hemmed teams in their own zone and dominated possession for lengthy shifts. Dano strikes me as more of a finisher, someone kind of like Ladd who parks his ass in front of the net and knocks in rebounds or loose pucks near the slot. Only place I think he's got Armia beat is his shot, at least for now.

Which is why Dano works well with Perreault-Petan.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
too small & soft imo. would get crushed

need a big fin on the right. preferably the shooter (laine) but armia/pulju would work

LOL, no...

Perre-Burmi-Dano was not really much bigger and dominated bigger players.

Big is not some aspect separate from others. It's just of one of many attributes that makes a player good or bad.

You don't need a certain amount of size; you need a certain amount of effectiveness.

thistleswamp

Second Overall
Jun 7, 2011
Deloraine
Is Petan a centre next year? has he shown anything to support that theory so far in the A? Hasn't played any C with the big club to date (edit: IIRC).
Jets should absolutely try him out there, slide him to LW if it doesn't work out. Good evidence Perreault can be effective at C.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad