Proposal: 2015 Offseason Trade Rumours and Proposals | Part III | 19 Goalies and Counting

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
I'd be a bit hesitant in breaking up our 3rd line from last year if we're able to sign Condra.

More like:

MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Puempel-Zibanejad-Ryan
Hoffman-Eakin-Michalek
Condra-Pageau-Lazar

wow.

Yah, that is filthy. (relatively speaking, when you consider we are a budget team)

BigBush*

I like it but it annoys me that we could just resign Condra instead of trading a guy like Lehner to replace him. Eakins is better offensively but it's definitely not a big need. I feel like Michalek or Puempel could definitely play that role. I feel like Eakin is probably about the best return we'll get for Lehner but I'd be willing to add much more if it gets us a real good player.

The way I see it, Lehner is likely to be a starter within the next two years and if he becomes the goalie that he's able to become we'll want to rip Murray's head off for only having a guy like Eakin to show for. I'd rather have a pick than Eakin simply because it gives guys like Prince and Puempel a chance to play and we have a good scouting staff and could definitely find a real good piece in the early 2nd. We don't have a real need in our lineup ATM unless it's a legitimate top line player or a top 4 D and we don't get that unless we add some quality pieces to Lehner so might aswell take Lehners contract off and use the money to sign key players, give a good chance to the youngsters and get a good pick in the process.
To be fair though, we said 2 years ago Lehner would likely be the starter in 2 years.

The fact that it didn't happen makes is just as likely that he wont be a starter 2 years from now

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
This is the way I see it and for the record I do like to have your opinion.

Hoffman - Zibanejad - Ryan
MacArthur - Turris - Stone
Puempel/Prince - Pageau - Lazar
Michalek - Smith/Grant/Legwand - Chiasson/Robinson

Our top 6 stays the same whether Eakin is here or not, he isn't better than any of our top 6 players then the 3rd line has already showed some great chemistry and Pageau put up similar numbers to Eakin in what was his first real NHL season so there's reason to believe he will be able to put up better numbers next season especially with Lazar growing and Puempel adding a scoring touch to that line. The 4rth line is still very good. Michalek is better than a 4rth liner without a doubt, he could play the 3rd line also if ever Puemps/Prince isn't working. Then you have 3 options at the 4rth line C and let's be honest these guys play 10 min a night too. Not a fan of Chiasson at all but he can play a 4rth line role, I'd also like to see what Robinson can do.

So if we add Eakin all it does is that: (because the other players don't change, of course you can change the lines)

Puempel/Prince - Eakin - Lazar
Michalek - Pageau - Chiasson/Robinson

So basically you give less responsabilities to Pageau to give more to Eakin while they both provide the exact same thing. Smith has already put up 12-15 goals on the 4rth line himself and for all we know could do that next season, If not it's no big deal we have two other guys that can play that role.

Personally I though our bottom 6 was good enough last season and it will be even better next season with Lazar, Puempel/Prince, Pageau all gaining some experience. Lehner was a big part of the future in Ottawa and trading him for a very slight upgrade on the bottom 6 is not a good idea. If Lehner becomes a #1 (which I believe he will and most fans believe he will) then we'll have a guy that score 15 goals on our 3rd line to show for while we already had that. If you go through the draft, there's a chance you get a legitimate top 6 F or top 4 D and I'm aware that it's going to take 3-4 years but I'd rather get a player like these guys in 3-4 years than a guy we don't need right now since we alredy have a ton of guys that can play that role. Also keep in mind that we need to keep good drafting and getting good picks being a budget team because when all our young guys develop to their full potential theres no way we'll be able to keep all of them. In 3-4 years guys like Turris, Karlsson, Zibanejad, Lazar, Hoffman, Stone, Ceci will be making a lot more money than they are now so atleast if we have some high quality guys in the pipelines to replace the guys we won't be able to keep due to salary restrictions then we'll be in business for a long time. The Ducks are doing this also and they look like they'll be good for a hell of a long time. I'd rather go ahead and look towards the future than to get a slight bottom 6 upgrade if we don't need it.
This is all logical ,i am looking more at what we can do to win this season without selling the real core part, of our upcoming youth .If we can dump guy,s like Legwand /smith/ neil and probably milo.While adding a good young bottom 6 guy like Eakin it makes makes sense,and would make us a far better team .But if we cant, the yes i agree keep what we have get the pick and move on.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I feel as though any player we get in a deal for Lehner, barring us adding, wouldn't be worth the trade in terms of filling a need. We lack top 4 D, and top 6 forwards. We have an abundance of bottom 6 forwards, and bottom 2 D. I really don't like the idea of trading a piece away to upgrade a bottom 6 or bottom pairing player. I'd rather gamble on a pick or potential top 6 recently drafted prospect.

If we trade Lehner for a guy who is an NHLer already, or NHL ready but will play in the bottom 6 because we want a guy who can contribute right away, I will be extremely displeased.

I understand that these guys have value, but I see the value diminished to a team in the position the Sens are in with regards to bodies and contracts already on the roster.

delchief

Jun 10, 2006
Puempel-Zibanejad-Ryan

Wellllllll.......

Let's not go anointing Puempel a fixture in our top-6 just yet. Kid hasn't proven anything at the NHL level thus far. And who's the play-maker on that line?

If you're going with the Eakin scenario then, IMHO, you don't need to re-sign Condra. Let him walk and go with something like....

Mac - Turris - Ryan
Hoffman - Zib - Stone
Puempel - Eakin - Michalek
Smith - Pageau - Lazar
(Neil, Chiasson?)

Oct 10, 2010
9MM on the 3rd line is a waste of $$$ in my opinion - Trade him for a pick and have Puempel or Prince replace him.

Use that $4M and put it towards d-man.

That's what a budget team should do anyways i think.

The Jangle Meister*

Two seasons ago he and Chiasson had the exact same amount of point.

Just a weak mediocre, opposite of trying to win now move. If we trade for Eakin I will punch someone, especially when we dont make it past the 2nd round again.

Typical 'hes a good player' type move, where in the end we dont win ****. Dont go for Eakin Murray, if thats the piece from dallas its not "a really good offer" - look at other teams.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
9MM on the 3rd line is a waste of $$$ in my opinion - Trade him for a pick and have Puempel or Prince replace him.

Use that $4M and put it towards d-man.

That's what a budget team should do anyways i think.

Michalek is a rather versatile player, he can play well on any of the three top lines, brings a solid 2 way game and is tough along the boards even when the puck isn't moving in. I like him on the team for 4 mill.

But lets say you want to trade him. How many teams can afford to take on 4 million in salary without sending any back? How many of those even want Michalek? How many of those are willing to offer enough picks to make it worthwhile for the Sens?

Then where does the defenseman come from? Do you overpay to get a UFA defenseman, do you find one in a trade? What does it cost to get him?

There are just so many factors that go into switching things up like that. Even if one side of the whole thing works ouyt, the other might not.

The Jangle Meister*

Eakin makes sense because he would be great as our 3rd line C

Not sure why there's so much hostility towards Eakin as a possible Lehner return. He's basically been a 40 point forward the past 3 seasons and plays an honest two-way game. Not exactly an easy player to find, especially one that's 24, affordable and is going to be an RFA once his contract is up.

because everything that Eakin brings we have in our team already or in our farm. Hes an affordable two way guy - then why the **** would you want him. Doesnt take our team a step forward, just a ball-less trade in general. 40 points three seasons in a row means hes tapped out, we dont need him at all - so dont trade for him. Its really simple.

The Jangle Meister*

Michalek is a rather versatile player, he can play well on any of the three top lines, brings a solid 2 way game and is tough along the boards even when the puck isn't moving in. I like him on the team for 4 mill.

But lets say you want to trade him. How many teams can afford to take on 4 million in salary without sending any back? How many of those even want Michalek? How many of those are willing to offer enough picks to make it worthwhile for the Sens?

Then where does the defenseman come from? Do you overpay to get a UFA defenseman, do you find one in a trade? What does it cost to get him?

There are just so many factors that go into switching things up like that. Even if one side of the whole thing works ouyt, the other might not.

If other teams dont want Michalek, we shouldnt want Michalek. And yes, we shouldnt want Michalek. Another 'hes a solid guy', we aint winning with him - it should be clear hes expendable.

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010
If other teams dont want Michalek, we shouldnt want Michalek. And yes, we shouldnt want Michalek. Another 'hes a solid guy', we aint winning with him - it should be clear hes expendable.

Says who? He took less money to stay with us. He's no world-beater, but let's not pretend he's useless either. Hell, he played a big part in our success during that run.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

You need more than Kane toews and bossa to win the cup. You need solid pieces behind them. Michalek is what he is, and yes you can win with him if he's not a primary piece. Its not like 4 million is a ridiculous salary for the guy. Knock off 500k and he's an absolute steal.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Says who? He took less money to stay with us. He's no world-beater, but let's not pretend he's useless either. Hell, he played a big part in our success during that run.

How quickly people forget. Michalek is a streaky scorer but he brings a reliable 2 way game and is always a threat. He is a very useful, versatile player

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
If we're not getting Dallas's Eakin, what about Dallas Eakins?

:laugh: :handclap:

Also: Michalek is worth is money . Only 2 years left at 4M is good for what he brings. If he's traded so be it but I wouldn't be mad if not.

BUCKLE UP

MVPTP
Nov 30, 2009
Ottawa
If we're not getting Dallas's Eakin, what about Dallas Eakins?

What_5e4a0a_2517384.jpg

BigBush*

How quickly people forget. Michalek is a streaky scorer but he brings a reliable 2 way game and is always a threat. He is a very useful, versatile player

I'm really not to high on Michalek. I'd be ok replacing him with Puempel or Prince, especially if it means putting his 4 million in salary towards something else

I find he really only gets hot for like a month and then hes so quiet, especially in the playoffs

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
These two can be moved ,lots of teams have interest in Zsmith ,Neil makes nothing and would be a welcome add for a rebuilding team looking for protection .Greening is a buyout ,and legwand could be moved as a cap dump in a deal .Or as a cap filler to a rebuilding club ,looking to gain the cap floor without the long term comittment.These guys are blocking nothing .people need to see this

We still have all 4 of them... That definately is blocking people. We need to get rid of 3 of them. That leaves 14 forwards still if 3 of the 4 are gone.

It might be possible to move all of them individually... Getting rid of all of them (save 1) will be difficult and may not happen.

BigBush*

We still have all 4 of them... That definately is blocking people. We need to get rid of 3 of them. That leaves 14 forwards still if 3 of the 4 are gone.

It might be possible to move all of them individually... Getting rid of all of them (save 1) will be difficult and may not happen.

Wouldn't be surprised if Legwand and Michalek were used as throw ins with deals involving Lehner and Cowen.

Getting rid of those guys clears up like 10 mill in the budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad