Proposal: 2015 Offseason Trade Rumours and Proposals | Part III | 19 Goalies and Counting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Garrioch tweeted that we are trying to sign Wideman before he hits UFA. I wonder if he gets a one way or if he gets a high AHL salary two way.

Real good news. I knew Murray wouldn't just let him walk.

BigBush*

Awesome. I said a few weeks ago that I wouldnt be surprised if Wideman re-signs. A team may offer him a 1-way contract, lets hope not.

He has a good opportunity in Ottawa to make the team as he could take Gryba's spot on the 3rd pairing

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
False, I said move him for a roster player. Another poster suggested a pick to free up 4 million in cap space.

I have said 4 million in cap space is valuable - true
I have said one of Ottawas prospects can come in next season and play a 3rd-4th line LW role - My opinion, you clearly think Puempel and Prince will not be better for this team than Michalek. I disagree, but thats fair you have an opinion.

Mainly, You have already admitted Michalek is a secondary piece. You can win with him as long as your primary pieces are good enough. According to you. And you said 66 games like a good thing, just 1/4 of the season gone LOL

So, it should be obvious Ottawa's primary pieces are not good enough to win - since we havnt passed the 2nd round. If this is the case, then logically you would assume moving one or two of those secondary pieces for a primary piece would be the best case to put your team closer into contention.

If you can package him for a top 6, thats my ideal scenario. If you are directly ready to sign a top 4 and need the space, try to move his 4 million salary to do so. If Michalek gets injured this off season and couldn't start next season, would we be doomed, not at all and better yet we can see what we have in recent 1st round picks. If the team moves him to free up cap, you would have to assume thats too improve the team. Moving him for cap space would mean 1 of two things, we need the money to sign a player on our team more useful than Milo or we need the money to sign a FA.

Move him if it improves our team you say, Exactly. Thankyou for letting me teach you about Michalek, and the progression our team should be moving in. Tap dat ass

You said to move him because a rookie can take his place and the team wouldn't lose a step. Now you're changing your argument saying that he should be moved to bring in a better player, or to free up space for a better player. I agree with that, if that better player is there and signed or available in a package including Michalek.

Of course that isn't what you said originally, even though now you're pretending that it is.

What im arguing against is moving him for the sake of moving him just incase a better fit is out there. To get rid of a proven, reliable player and roll the dice on a rookie.

You haven't educated anyone on anything, despite the condescending nature of your posts.

Well through Michaleks numerous injuries our team has never taken a step back with him out of the lineup. Michalek can play on all lnes cuz hes a decent player, but hell yes a rookie can take his place haha thats obvious. We dont need him - and 4 mil in capspace is very useful, cant argue against that.

replacing Michalek on the 3rd of 4th line with Puempel - Yes, nothing can go wrong.

If other teams dont want Michalek, we shouldnt want Michalek. And yes, we shouldnt want Michalek. Another 'hes a solid guy', we aint winning with him - it should be clear hes expendable.

BigBush*

False, I said move him for a roster player. Another poster suggested a pick to free up 4 million in cap space.

I have said 4 million in cap space is valuable - true
I have said one of Ottawas prospects can come in next season and play a 3rd-4th line LW role - My opinion, you clearly think Puempel and Prince will not be better for this team than Michalek. I disagree, but thats fair you have an opinion.

Mainly, You have already admitted Michalek is a secondary piece. You can win with him as long as your primary pieces are good enough. According to you. And you said 66 games like a good thing, just 1/4 of the season gone LOL

So, it should be obvious Ottawa's primary pieces are not good enough to win - since we havnt passed the 2nd round. If this is the case, then logically you would assume moving one or two of those secondary pieces for a primary piece would be the best case to put your team closer into contention.

If you can package him for a top 6, thats my ideal scenario. If you are directly ready to sign a top 4 and need the space, try to move his 4 million salary to do so. If Michalek gets injured this off season and couldn't start next season, would we be doomed, not at all and better yet we can see what we have in recent 1st round picks. If the team moves him to free up cap, you would have to assume thats too improve the team. Moving him for cap space would mean 1 of two things, we need the money to sign a player on our team more useful than Milo or we need the money to sign a FA.

Move him if it improves our team you say, Exactly. Thankyou for letting me teach you about Michalek, and the progression our team should be moving in. Tap dat ass

I agree with this. I dont mind Michalek, but he's nothing special. Prince or Puempel could be as good as him right now.

If we werent a budget team id probably just leave him on the 3rd/4th line.

aside from one season where he played 22 games, he has played no fewer than 66 games since joining the Senators.

Of course the team is willing to move him if it benefits the team, but you're arguing that he should be moved to free up cap space for a mythical player than may not even exist because . .. rookies!

Thats a poor argument.

I get what you're saying. Im not one to usually says to dump vets for rookies. I dont think Michalek has much of an impact on the team though. He's a decent depth player. I just really want Murray to lean the roster out this off season. Legwand, Michalek, and Cowen all cost a lot considering what they bring to the team. Hopefully that money could be put towards a legit top 6 player or a top 4 D, whether its this summer, by the trade deadline, or next season.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Friedman's take on Ottawa's goalies:

“Buffalo is a team – I think they want to try to start to get better, but I could see Buffalo as a team if they don’t get who they want – and I think Tim Murray likes Craig Anderson a lot, but I’m not convinced that Ottawa is going to trade him – I could see them maybe going for a short-term stop-gap, whether it’s Antti Niemi or Hiller or something like that.

“Edmonton – I could see Edmonton having interest in Lehner, but I’m not sure they’re going to want to give up what Ottawa wants.

delchief

Jun 10, 2006
Wiercioch is a legit top-4 dman and Gryba is a legit bottom pair defender. No need to get rid of useful players who we've groomed and are still improving (well, at least in Wiercioch's case).

Think Chicago would take Gryba on their bottom pairing right now? If you say anything but 'yes' you're deluding yourself.

Cowen is a complete mystery but his skating, frequent injuries, and bouts of baffling terrible play cannot be ignored.

Phillips is simply an old player who has outgrown his usefulness. He'll be a 7th dman for one more year and (likely) retire a Senator. Is that so terrible, really? Why crap on the guy now? He's not hurting the team at this point.

WhiteLight*

Wiercioch is a legit top-4 dman and Gryba is a legit bottom pair defender. No need to get rid of useful players who we've groomed and are still improving (well, at least in Wiercioch's case).

Think Chicago would take Gryba on their bottom pairing right now? If you say anything but 'yes' you're deluding yourself.

Cowen is a complete mystery but his skating, frequent injuries, and bouts of baffling terrible play cannot be ignored.

Phillips is simply an old player who has outgrown his usefulness. He'll be a 7th dman for one more year and (likely) retire a Senator. Is that so terrible, really? Why crap on the guy now? He's not hurting the team at this point.

huh? Of course he's hurting the team.

So that's 4 defencemen. You say Phillips is the 7th D. That means there's 3 spots left. Karlsson, Ceci, Methot, Boro, Wideman. 3 spots for 5 guys. Plus, no room to acquire an upgrade.

I think it's absolutely fair to want to move out some guys, or "crap" on them as you say.

delchief

Jun 10, 2006
Cowen is perhaps the guy to move out. Because he's expensive for what he brings (or what he doesn't) and it's reasonable to predict that his ceiling won't be as high as the organization thought when they drafted him.

Phillips is what he is at this point - a 7th or 8th dman. So what? One more year. Who is he blocking? Wideman? It is quite possible that Wideman will NEVER play in the NHL. He might, but there is absolutely no guarantee. Claesson? Ok, maybe. But he's young and will get his chance just like Borowiecki did.

Face it, the Sens D is deep in middling guys. The one middling guy I'm least worried about is Phillips because he's gone after this season. Probably to a role with the club as an assistant. That is A good thing.

Until one of these unproven defensive prospects actually does something to force their hand I have no huge problem with how the team is handling their D corps. I would prefer they trade Cowen but can live with it if they don't.

People need to calm down and accept reality. There is no young thoroughbred d-man in the Sens organization who is being held down so Chris Phillips can play instead. The team wouldn't sacrifice winning for Chris Phillips. There is no blind spot for Chris Phillips. He's a veteran, spare defender and this is his last season. Period. If there's anyone being overlooked it's Wiercioch - aka our top point-producer in the playoffs this year....

NNYSens

Aug 28, 2014
I don't see the need for a "game-breaker", in fact, I wish they would doing nothing with this roster besides resign the RFAS (minus Chiasson), buyout/trade greening, legwand, and give puempel a chance. Oh and trade a goalie for a promising prospect. Think of the leaps made by zibby, stone, pageau, hoffman, wiercioch last year. Not to mention Turris, guy is quietly a #1 center now. What is wrong with sticking to the developing that has worked for these guys and give them 1 more year to see how much better they can get together, then tinker if it doesn't work.

Mac-Turris-Ryan
Hoff-Zibby-Stone
Michalek-Pag-Lazar
Puempel-Smith-Hot hand out of bingo
Neil

Meth-Karlsson
Wiercioch-Cecil
Boro-Wideman

I wouldn't mind seeing that come out of camp. Give Bobby another shot with Turris and put the young studs together on the 1B line. Stone would rack up more assists than I could count setti n g up Hoff and Zibby.

Just saying I'd like to give it another year before I tinkered too much. These guys are young and like to play together. Give them the chance.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I doubt it's enough to stop him from at least seeing if anyone would give him a 1-way after he hits UFA.
Maybe ,iam sure we will try to do something .We paid Corey Locke 250k to play on the farm ,we could offer him that with a min of nhl games played .Just to buy us some time

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I wouldn't call wier a legit top 4, but he is definitely an NHL'er.He can find the back of the net and make tape to tape passes, he is still young enough to fix his weak spots. Cowen needs a change he isn't gonna reach his potential here, ship him off west. Gryba can play in his own zone, but he doesn't know how to transition and ideally Wideman should take his spot. Phillips god damn it this guy ****ing sucks, can't even imagine how much worse he is gonna be after missing a good chunk off the season on top of his regression. Boro is a great 7th. Just get rid of Gryba, Cowen and Phillips.

I can see Edmonton being a good suitor for Phillips. Edmonton is his hometown or close to it. Peter Chiarelli has shown interest in him for years, and for a team going for it, it would help having that "vet" presence around McDavid, and the youngins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad