Proposal: 2015 Offseason Trade Rumours and Proposals | Part III | 19 Goalies and Counting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
You know, I have a funny feeling Condra is really going to break out offensively next year. The kid has too much hockey sense and gets too many opportunities to get free shots on net not to improve. I wouldn't be surprised to see him hit 35-40 points next year.

I would love to get him signed for a nice cheap contract....even if it's just a 1-year deal.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Yeah, this deal for Eakin aside, Legwand has to go. No matter what imo.

Even if there is no interest in Legwand @ 3M, Ottawa could retain as much as half his salary (1.5). Then sign Condra for 1.5 (that might be low though). They don't save money, it's exactly the same, but it's trading Legwand for Condra and that in itself is a positive.

It's too bad management refuses to get creative like that, and we'll probably see Condra walk :(

Even if we trade Legwand, we still have about 5 guys that could play in our bottom 6 at this point that are not even on the roster so I don't think they'll resign Condra even if Legwand is traded.

Shanny

Let's Win It All
Jun 12, 2009
Bytown
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Stone
MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Michalek - Eakin - Lazar
Prince - Pageau - Condra
(Puempel) Smith

I'd be a bit hesitant in breaking up our 3rd line from last year if we're able to sign Condra.

More like:

MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Puempel-Zibanejad-Ryan
Hoffman-Eakin-Michalek
Condra-Pageau-Lazar

wow.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Maybe the reason I don't feel like it's necessary is because believe Pageau could very well put up 15 goals on the 3rd line himself.

Just this season he had:
50GP - 10G - 9A - 19PTS

Over 82 games that's:

17G - 15A - 32PTS

Pageau has only played 87 NHL games while Eakin has played 237 and it's not like Pageau played with Benn for part of the season so there's no reason to believe Pageau isn't on the same level to Eakin right now and there's no reason to believe Pageau couldn't put 40 points as soon as next season. Why isn't Pageau a quality linemate for Lazar, In fact they played together all season last year and they had great chemistry. Puempel also played with them for a game or two and they showed great things. Smith is a perfect guy for a 4rth line,Legwand can also play that role, Grant can also play the 4rth line. I see absolutely 0 problem with our bottom 6, there's no need to add another bottom 6 player. We need a top 4 defensemen above all, or a top line player. Eakin is good yes, no point for us to get a guy like him with all the guys battling for a spot.
Yep all of this makes complete sense,the bolded however is the biggest issue .A top 4 defenseman that would be a fit here is no where to be had .The type we need has to be drafted ,so we become a very deep 4line team of very solid two forwards and decent goaltending .That helps to mask our one very obvious weakness

WhiteLight*

You know, I have a funny feeling Condra is really going to break out offensively next year. The kid has too much hockey sense and gets too many opportunities to get free shots on net not to improve. I wouldn't be surprised to see him hit 35-40 points next year.

I would love to get him signed for a nice cheap contract....even if it's just a 1-year deal.

Yeah. Condra had his best year in 2014-15.

Even if we trade Legwand, we still have about 5 guys that could play in our bottom 6 at this point that are not even on the roster so I don't think they'll resign Condra even if Legwand is traded.

meh. I don't think so. There's always that pesky Greening, but they showed this year they don't mind sticking him in Bingo. They should buy him out (it saves Ottawa money-they don't seem to realize this).

Other than him, Chiasson and Neil are movable.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Zsmith is probably gone /neil is a bench player or moved.Hell even Milo could get a look ,pittsburgh is desparate for wingers .Its doable and it would strengthen our team :nod:

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Yep all of this makes complete sense,the bolded however is the biggest issue .A top 4 defenseman that would be a fit here is no where to be had .The type we need has to be drafted ,so we become a very deep 4line team of very solid two forwards and decent goaltending .That helps to mask our one very obvious weakness

That's why I really don't understand if we go get another 3rd line tweener at this point and again I'll say it, I really like Eakin but he's a redundant player since he plays the same style as guys like Pageau and Lazar. I'd rather get a pick and get another very good young prospect in the early 2nd and we go with the bottom 6 guys we have..

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Yeah, this deal for Eakin aside, Legwand has to go. No matter what imo.

Even if there is no interest in Legwand @ 3M, Ottawa could retain as much as half his salary (1.5). Then sign Condra for 1.5 (that might be low though). They don't save money, it's exactly the same, but it's trading Legwand for Condra and that in itself is a positive.

It's too bad management refuses to get creative like that, and we'll probably see Condra walk :(
We know the coach has his back , .If our coach wants him then BM should keep him .I think our team can get really creative when it comes to getting rid of contracts

WhiteLight*

That's why I really don't understand if we go get another 3rd line tweener at this point and again I'll say it, I really like Eakin but he's a redundant player since he plays the same style as guys like Pageau and Lazar. I'd rather get a pick,

I don't understand why you'd rather get a pick.

Having more guys like Pageau and Lazar isn't a bad thing. This team is built around players like that. Eakin pushing Neil or Chiasson out of the lineup would be awesome.

We know the coach has his back , .If our coach wants him then BM should keep him .I think our team can get really creative when it comes to getting rid of contracts

Time to do it. No time like the present

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Stone
MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Michalek - Eakin - Lazar
Prince - Pageau - Condra
(Puempel) Smith

Or without Eakin

Hoffman Zibby Ryan
MacArthur Turris Stone
Puempel Pageau Michalek
Prince Lazar Condra

That is believing Prince and Puempel can both be effective scoring and two ways... Both being sheltered by excellent two way players on their lines. Lazar could very well blossom this year and find more offence and creativity. His faceoffs and defensive skills, committment and physical play were very impressive for a young rookie that still was junior eligible.

The problem is getting rid of all the guys we have signed at forward to clear roster and salary... Not really adding an Eakin.

I would love that roster and if Smith or Neil or even Legwand were around in case of injuries or young guys struggling that would be ok... But we can't have all 3... And Greening too.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
That's why I really don't understand if we go get another 3rd line tweener at this point and again I'll say it, I really like Eakin but he's a redundant player since he plays the same style as guys like Pageau and Lazar. I'd rather get a pick,
This worth far more to this team than any 2nd rounder,a left shooting player that can score 15 to 20 goals and can play lw and center .Makes you wonder why we paid Legwand 3 mil a season then

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
This worth far more to this team than any 2nd rounder,a left shooting player that can score 15 to 20 goals and can play lw and center .Makes you wonder why we paid Legwand 3 mil a season then

Because Zibby and Pageay still had big question marks and the team wanted some options down the middle. Signing made a lot of sense.

Besides I still maintain that Legwand wasn't nearly as bad as people make him out to be. Just a tad redundant with the emergence of other players now.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Or without Eakin

Hoffman Zibby Ryan
MacArthur Turris Stone
Puempel Pageau Michalek
Prince Lazar Condra

That is believing Prince and Puempel can both be effective scoring and two ways... Both being sheltered by excellent two way players on their lines. Lazar could very well blossom this year and find more offence and creativity. His faceoffs and defensive skills, committment and physical play were very impressive for a young rookie that still was junior eligible.

The problem is getting rid of all the guys we have signed at forward to clear roster and salary... Not really adding an Eakin.

I would love that roster and if Smith or Neil or even Legwand were around in case of injuries or young guys struggling that would be ok... But we can't have all 3... And Greening too.
These two can be moved ,lots of teams have interest in Zsmith ,Neil makes nothing and would be a welcome add for a rebuilding team looking for protection .Greening is a buyout ,and legwand could be moved as a cap dump in a deal .Or as a cap filler to a rebuilding club ,looking to gain the cap floor without the long term comittment.These guys are blocking nothing .people need to see this

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

I disagree though because when you draft you can always go for guy with higher upside and this is a deep draft. Get a guy like Beauviller, Juulsen, Dermott, Roslovic, Novak, Vande Somple and you have a great top 6 player/top 4 defensemen down the road while we already have a ton of guys that can play the bottom 6 at this moment. Again,if we didn't have 3rd line C that put up the exact same numbers as Eakin and is younger I'd say yea perfect that fills a need but it doesn't. Might aswell keep Lehner if we want to get something we already have.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Because Zibby and Pageay still had big question marks and the team wanted some options down the middle. Signing made a lot of sense.

Besides I still maintain that Legwand wasn't nearly as bad as people make him out to be. Just a tad redundant with the emergence of other players now.
In some ways they still do, reinforcing them.With better players is the way to go

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
In some ways they still do, reinforcing them.With better players is the way to go

Absolutely. Legwand can contribute anywhere in the lineup and isn't breaking the bank at 3mil. Chances are the team can flip him at the deadline for some kinda pick anyway if that's the direction they want to go.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Absolutely. Legwand can contribute anywhere in the lineup and isn't breaking the bank at 3mil. Chances are the team can flip him at the deadline for some kinda pick anyway if that's the direction they want to go.

On a budget team 3M is a lot. We have players who can contribute more than Legwand right now at a cheaper price. His only advantage was that he was a LH C.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I disagree though because when you draft you can always go for guy with higher upside and this is a deep draft. Get a guy like Beauviller, Juulsen, Dermott, Roslovic, Novak, Vande Somple and you have a great top 6 player/top 4 defensemen down the road while we already have a ton of guys that can play the bottom 6 at this moment.
These guys wont be in the nhl for at least 3 to 4 years ,we already own two 2nds .Some real close nhl talent in the ahl ,and some fresh blood coming in next season .Adding another young player that has nhl experience is the right thing to do here.Our bottom 6 wasnt good enough ,our 4th line was a roll of the dice most nights ,if we can improve the team then we do it

WhiteLight*

On a budget team 3M is a lot. We have players who can contribute more than Legwand right now at a cheaper price. His only advantage was that he was a LH C.

Mind blowing how people keep saying that. 3M for Legwand isn't too bad. 2.5M for Phillips isn't too bad. 2.65 for Greening isn't too bad.

When you add them up, it makes A LOT of money.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

I disagree, i don't think that 3 million is a lot at all with a 70million dollar cap. Especially for a veteran that can sub up to the 2nd line if you need him, and can play competently anywhere below.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Mind blowing how people keep saying that. 3M for Legwand isn't too bad. 2.5M for Phillips isn't too bad. 2.65 for Greening isn't too bad.

When you add them up, it makes A LOT of money.
Phillips is ok as a 7th man i suppose .But is overpaid by about 1.8 mil a season .The other two need to go period :nod:

WhiteLight*

I disagree, i don't think that 3 million is a lot at all with a 70million dollar cap. Especially for a veteran that can sub up to the 2nd line if you need him, and can play competently anywhere below.

You can dress up Legwand however you want, but he's Ottawa's 4th best centre at best. He can't play on the 2nd line.

Ottawa doesn't spend 70. More like 55.

Ottawa spends 12M on bad players such as Legwand. 12/55 is over 20% of the budget. It's hella significant.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
You can dress up Legwand however you want, but he's Ottawa's 4th best centre at best. He can't play on the 2nd line.

Ottawa doesn't spend 70. More like 55.

Ottawa spends 12M on bad players such as Legwand. 12/55 is over 20% of the budget. It's hella significant.
Yep we need better period ,Zsmith can maybe fill that role ,but i would rather go a different route .I dont see why fans arent grasping what a another real solid young player could do for us .Specifically one that plays two positions ,and is a left handed shot :nod:

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

I don't know which team you are following, but the Sens are not going to be close to the 70M cap any time soon. We have an internal cap somewhere closer to 60M than 70M. So that 3M is a lot for basically a 4th line center. I understand the logic in signing the guy last summer. We needed a LH C to insulate Turris and more so Zib. But you can't deny that Legwand has been pretty underwhelming. Aragorn was touting a 50 point player, while I was adamant we were getting a 3rd liner at best. What we have is 25 point 4th line center earning 3M. I'm pretty sure JGP will hit that number and surpass it while not getting as many PP opportunities as Legwand next year.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
These guys wont be in the nhl for at least 3 to 4 years ,we already own two 2nds .Some real close nhl talent in the ahl ,and some fresh blood coming in next season .Adding another young player that has nhl experience is the right thing to do here.Our bottom 6 wasnt good enough ,our 4th line was a roll of the dice most nights ,if we can improve the team then we do it

This is the way I see it and for the record I do like to have your opinion.

Hoffman - Zibanejad - Ryan
MacArthur - Turris - Stone
Puempel/Prince - Pageau - Lazar
Michalek - Smith/Grant/Legwand - Chiasson/Robinson

Our top 6 stays the same whether Eakin is here or not, he isn't better than any of our top 6 players then the 3rd line has already showed some great chemistry and Pageau put up similar numbers to Eakin in what was his first real NHL season so there's reason to believe he will be able to put up better numbers next season especially with Lazar growing and Puempel adding a scoring touch to that line. The 4rth line is still very good. Michalek is better than a 4rth liner without a doubt, he could play the 3rd line also if ever Puemps/Prince isn't working. Then you have 3 options at the 4rth line C and let's be honest these guys play 10 min a night too. Not a fan of Chiasson at all but he can play a 4rth line role, I'd also like to see what Robinson can do.

So if we add Eakin all it does is that: (because the other players don't change, of course you can change the lines)

Puempel/Prince - Eakin - Lazar
Michalek - Pageau - Chiasson/Robinson

So basically you give less responsabilities to Pageau to give more to Eakin while they both provide the exact same thing. Smith has already put up 12-15 goals on the 4rth line himself and for all we know could do that next season, If not it's no big deal we have two other guys that can play that role.

Personally I though our bottom 6 was good enough last season and it will be even better next season with Lazar, Puempel/Prince, Pageau all gaining some experience. Lehner was a big part of the future in Ottawa and trading him for a very slight upgrade on the bottom 6 is not a good idea. If Lehner becomes a #1 (which I believe he will and most fans believe he will) then we'll have a guy that score 15 goals on our 3rd line to show for while we already had that. If you go through the draft, there's a chance you get a legitimate top 6 F or top 4 D and I'm aware that it's going to take 3-4 years but I'd rather get a player like these guys in 3-4 years than a guy we don't need right now since we alredy have a ton of guys that can play that role. Also keep in mind that we need to keep good drafting and getting good picks being a budget team because when all our young guys develop to their full potential theres no way we'll be able to keep all of them. In 3-4 years guys like Turris, Karlsson, Zibanejad, Lazar, Hoffman, Stone, Ceci will be making a lot more money than they are now so atleast if we have some high quality guys in the pipelines to replace the guys we won't be able to keep due to salary restrictions then we'll be in business for a long time. The Ducks are doing this also and they look like they'll be good for a hell of a long time. I'd rather go ahead and look towards the future than to get a slight bottom 6 upgrade if we don't need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad