Proposal: 2015 Offseason Trade Rumours and Proposals | Part III | 19 Goalies and Counting

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
I feel as though any player we get in a deal for Lehner, barring us adding, wouldn't be worth the trade in terms of filling a need. We lack top 4 D, and top 6 forwards. We have an abundance of bottom 6 forwards, and bottom 2 D. I really don't like the idea of trading a piece away to upgrade a bottom 6 or bottom pairing player. I'd rather gamble on a pick or potential top 6 recently drafted prospect.

If we trade Lehner for a guy who is an NHLer already, or NHL ready but will play in the bottom 6 because we want a guy who can contribute right away, I will be extremely displeased.

I understand that these guys have value, but I see the value diminished to a team in the position the Sens are in with regards to bodies and contracts already on the roster.

I see our top six forwards as:

Turris, Stone, Macarthur
Zib, Ryan, Hoffman/Michalek

Who do you believe is not a top six in that group?

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
I'm really not to high on Michalek. I'd be ok replacing him with Puempel or Prince, especially if it means putting his 4 million in salary towards something else

I find he really only gets hot for like a month and then hes so quiet, especially in the playoffs

Both guys will see limited ice time until they can be trusted, I doubt either will play on the PK.

Michalek my be a bit over paid but he is extremely useful and can play in all situations, guys like that have a lot of value.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Michalek + Lehner + Cowen + 42nd OV
for
Mickey Stone + Mickey Boedker

Pretty ridiculous fantasy trade lol, but it makes decent sense besides the fact it would never happen. I'd love both those guys from AZ, they can easily take on cap, and they get a good young goalie which is a pretty desperate need for them. Giving them a 5th pick in the top 60 basically guarantees they can also get their top or 2nd rated goalie prospect, which they need even with Lehner. Michalek is a pot sticker, Cowen is a downgrade on Stone with arguably higher potential.

delchief

Jun 10, 2006
Turris, Stone, Macarthur

Michalek. Not anymore. But he can be one in a pinch (as shown this past season) and makes an excellent, if slightly overpaid, 3rd line winger. Plus, by all accounts, a great teammate and all around good-example type player. I have no real issue with Michalek on this team. Just don't think he's a top-six'er anymore. Production wise at least.....

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
If other teams dont want Michalek, we shouldnt want Michalek. And yes, we shouldnt want Michalek. Another 'hes a solid guy', we aint winning with him - it should be clear hes expendable.

He has periods as one of our best... If not best forward... Like leading up to when he got injured.

Having him around is very valuable in a depth role if we want to role 3 top lines.. Which we do.

He is inconsistent as a scorer (but not his overall play) and he had chronic injuries he plays through and has the potential to miss games in a season... But he isn't redundant. Getting rid of him and not replacing him with a very solid forward... Would make us a worse team.

He isn't a salary or player you want to get off the roster... Or he is like the 8th, 9th or 10th player you would want to move from our roster.

If we just move him to get rid of money... And we ice near the lowest payroll team in the league... I would be angry and I think we won't do that this season.

Legwand is a decent player but his lack of speed and playing style grew to not match the rest of the roster... Michalek is similar but younger and better... Except he matches the teams style of play perfectly... He has speed still. And if Condra is not resigned... Michalek is even more needed om the PK.

I don't see Michalek not eating 15-17 mins a game even on the 3rd line if that is where he ends up... That's valuable.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I'm really not to high on Michalek. I'd be ok replacing him with Puempel or Prince, especially if it means putting his 4 million in salary towards something else

I find he really only gets hot for like a month and then hes so quiet, especially in the playoffs

You mean with a guy who hasn't even made the team yet?

Ok, nothing could go wrong with that move.

BigBush*

You mean with a guy who hasn't even made the team yet?

Ok, nothing could go wrong with that move.

Puempel looked good last year.

It's not like Michalek is playing in the top 6. I think Puempel playing along side Pageau and Lazar could get the job done.

Key thing I said though was id move Michalek if it meant putting his money towards something else (like a top 4 D)

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Turris, Stone, Macarthur

I am fine with that top 6. I don't want to add a 3rd liner cause we have a glutton of them. If we can add a top 6, we can move Hoffman/Mac to the third line.

We need a gamebreaker (I know we won't get for Lehner) up front. We 100% do not need a defensively sound 3rd liner. Would it be nice to have? Certainly, but it would be a luxury. I don't want to add to an area that is already in good shape when we have glaring holes (top 4 D) that we need to shore up. I'd rather take a pick then another 40 pt forward.

BigBush*

Michalek + Lehner + Cowen + 42nd OV
for
Mickey Stone + Mickey Boedker

Pretty ridiculous fantasy trade lol, but it makes decent sense besides the fact it would never happen. I'd love both those guys from AZ, they can easily take on cap, and they get a good young goalie which is a pretty desperate need for them. Giving them a 5th pick in the top 60 basically guarantees they can also get their top or 2nd rated goalie prospect, which they need even with Lehner. Michalek is a pot sticker, Cowen is a downgrade on Stone with arguably higher potential.

I don't think Arizona does this. Boedker has a ton of value, and Stone plays a ton of minutes, will probably play with OEL on the top pairing.

Would be an awesome trade for Ottawa. I'd consider doing that even if it meant adding our 1st overall instead of our 2nd

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I am fine with that top 6. I don't want to add a 3rd liner cause we have a glutton of them. If we can add a top 6, we can move Hoffman/Mac to the third line.

We need a gamebreaker (I know we won't get for Lehner) up front. We 100% do not need a defensively sound 3rd liner. Would it be nice to have? Certainly, but it would be a luxury. I don't want to add to an area that is already in good shape when we have glaring holes (top 4 D) that we need to shore up. I'd rather take a pick then another 40 pt forward.

I just always agree with you :laugh:

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
I don't think Arizona does this. Boedker has a ton of value, and Stone plays a ton of minutes, will probably play with OEL on the top pairing.

Would be an awesome trade for Ottawa. I'd consider doing that even if it meant adding our 1st overall instead of our 2nd

Agreed through and through, I'd throw in our 1st but would probably want a pick back. Maybe do our 1st and change Dal 2nd to OTT 2nd, with AZ adding their 2nd.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Puempel looked good last year.

It's not like Michalek is playing in the top 6. I think Puempel playing along side Pageau and Lazar could get the job done.

Key thing I said though was id move Michalek if it meant putting his money towards something else (like a top 4 D)

Michalek played in the top 6 for large chunks of the season. On both Turris and Zibby's wings. He'll probably be up there at various points in the year, thats the advantage you have with aguy like Michalek. He can play anywhere in the lineup and be a solid contributer.

Again you want to trade Michalek for the sake of trading him just to free up some money for this mythical top 4 D, and hope that a rookie can take his spot. If the team needs to free up money to bring someone in, if there is even someone available at a fair cost/salary, there are better guys to move out. Greening, Neil, Legwand etc etc

The Jangle Meister*

Turris, Stone, Macarthur

just because we have top 6 players doesnt mean they are of a higher quality than another teams top 6. Its obvious to see we need to upgrade it if we want to win, if you dont see that youre blind. Best case scenario is moving Mac of Hoffman to the 3rd line after trading for a legitimate top 6 guy - that should give us three quality lines.

The Jangle Meister*

Michalek played in the top 6 for large chunks of the season. On both Turris and Zibby's wings. He'll probably be up there at various points in the year, thats the advantage you have with aguy like Michalek. He can play anywhere in the lineup and be a solid contributer.

Again you want to trade Michalek for the sake of trading him just to free up some money for this mythical top 4 D, and hope that a rookie can take his spot. If the team needs to free up money to bring someone in, if there is even someone available at a fair cost/salary, there are better guys to move out. Greening, Neil, Legwand etc etc

Well through Michaleks numerous injuries our team has never taken a step back with him out of the lineup. Michalek can play on all lnes cuz hes a decent player, but hell yes a rookie can take his place haha thats obvious. We dont need him - and 4 mil in capspace is very useful, cant argue against that.

The Jangle Meister*

I 100% agree with this. To a tee.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Well through Michaleks numerous injuries our team has never taken a step back with him out of the lineup. Michalek can play on all lnes cuz hes a decent player, but hell yes a rookie can take his place haha thats obvious. We dont need him - and 4 mil in capspace is very useful, cant argue against that.

Its not obvious at all, ha ha. For every Stone that comes into the league and plays consistantly well, you get several that struggle to be reliable. Reliable is what Michalek is. That's what you get with solid vets, thats why you pay them big dollars. ha ha

And yes you can argue against it, ha ha thats what Im doing ha ha. The Sens have plenty of cap space anyway, what you probably mean to suggest is that they need room in the internal budget. Room they can get by moving other, less valuable, assets.

ha ha.

The Jangle Meister*

He has periods as one of our best... If not best forward... Like leading up to when he got injured.

Having him around is very valuable in a depth role if we want to role 3 top lines.. Which we do.

He is inconsistent as a scorer (but not his overall play) and he had chronic injuries he plays through and has the potential to miss games in a season... But he isn't redundant. Getting rid of him and not replacing him with a very solid forward... Would make us a worse team.

He isn't a salary or player you want to get off the roster... Or he is like the 8th, 9th or 10th player you would want to move from our roster.

If we just move him to get rid of money... And we ice near the lowest payroll team in the league... I would be angry and I think we won't do that this season.

Legwand is a decent player but his lack of speed and playing style grew to not match the rest of the roster... Michalek is similar but younger and better... Except he matches the teams style of play perfectly... He has speed still. And if Condra is not resigned... Michalek is even more needed om the PK.

I don't see Michalek not eating 15-17 mins a game even on the 3rd line if that is where he ends up... That's valuable.

1. he has never looked like our best player
2. playing well with Turris and Stone seems fairly common with any roster player
3. yes, he gets injured way too often
4. getting rid of him would not make us a worse team, we have the pieces to replace him already
5. 8th player you want to get rid of, still want to get rid of him
6. Michalek should not be the perfect match of player our team wants to build
7. He is valuable, but he is not needed in our team. Best case scenario is he has value on a trade market
8. You would wan to trade him in a package for a roster player
9. Everything you told me, tells me he would be a great piece for another team to pick up in a package for a better forward - and it seems we want a legit top 6, because guys like Milo arnt good enough.

The Jangle Meister*

Its not obvious at all, ha ha. For every Stone that comes into the league and plays consistantly well, you get several that struggle to be reliable. Reliable is what Michalek is. That's what you get with solid vets, thats why you pay them big dollars. ha ha

And yes you can argue against it, ha ha thats what Im doing ha ha. The Sens have plenty of cap space anyway, what you probably mean to suggest is that they need room in the internal budget. Room they can get by moving other, less valuable, assets.

ha ha.

An injury prone player is the opposite of Reliable haha like what?!
we wont have tons of cap once we sign our 4 RFA's
sure you can say some prospects wont pan out, imo Puempel should be able to play a 3rd-4th line LW role. If you disagree thats fine, just my opinion.
unlike the useless players we have been trying to move for a year or so (ie Greening)
Michalek must have some value on the trade market according to you. So move his 4 million to get the right fit for our team.
You can argue if you want, but its a very poor argument to pump Michaleks tires. Hes a piece we should be willing to move. Thats all im saying.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
An injury prone player is the opposite of Reliable haha like what?!
we wont have tons of cap once we sign our 4 RFA's
unlike the useless players we have been trying to move for a year or so (ie Greening)
Michalek must have some value on the trade market according to you. So move his 4 million to get the right fit for our team.
You can argue if you want, but its a very poor argument to pump Michaleks tires. Hes a piece we should be willing to move. Thats all im saying.

aside from one season where he played 22 games, he has played no fewer than 66 games since joining the Senators.

Of course the team is willing to move him if it benefits the team, but you're arguing that he should be moved to free up cap space for a mythical player than may not even exist because . .. rookies!

Thats a poor argument.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
If Ottawa wants to contend, they need an Eakins in their bottom 6 and an O'Reilly in their top 6 extra or someone like that.

Example:

Hoffman-Zibanejad-Ryan
O'Reilly-Turris-Stone
MacArthur-Eakins-Lazar
Puempel-JGP-Condra

That's a contending roster.

With that being said, if Puempel breaks out next year like Hoffman did for us this year, then we are just as good.

I think management high on Puempel and so am I. I really really hope he or Prince break out for us next year. But yea.

Anderson/Lehner for Eakins.

2015 1st+Wiercioch+Prince/Puempel for O'Reilly/Pavelski

The Jangle Meister*

aside from one season where he played 22 games, he has played no fewer than 66 games since joining the Senators.

Of course the team is willing to move him if it benefits the team, but you're arguing that he should be moved to free up cap space for a mythical player than may not even exist because . .. rookies!

Thats a poor argument.

False, I said move him for a roster player. Another poster suggested a pick to free up 4 million in cap space.

I have said 4 million in cap space is valuable - true
I have said one of Ottawas prospects can come in next season and play a 3rd-4th line LW role - My opinion, you clearly think Puempel and Prince will not be better for this team than Michalek. I disagree, but thats fair you have an opinion.

Mainly, You have already admitted Michalek is a secondary piece. You can win with him as long as your primary pieces are good enough. According to you. And you said 66 games like a good thing, just 1/4 of the season gone LOL

So, it should be obvious Ottawa's primary pieces are not good enough to win - since we havnt passed the 2nd round. If this is the case, then logically you would assume moving one or two of those secondary pieces for a primary piece would be the best case to put your team closer into contention.

If you can package him for a top 6, thats my ideal scenario. If you are directly ready to sign a top 4 and need the space, try to move his 4 million salary to do so. If Michalek gets injured this off season and couldn't start next season, would we be doomed, not at all and better yet we can see what we have in recent 1st round picks. If the team moves him to free up cap, you would have to assume thats too improve the team. Moving him for cap space would mean 1 of two things, we need the money to sign a player on our team more useful than Milo or we need the money to sign a FA.

Move him if it improves our team you say, Exactly. Thankyou for letting me teach you about Michalek, and the progression our team should be moving in. Tap dat ass

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad