Proposal: 2015 Offseason Trade Rumours and Proposals | Part III | 19 Goalies and Counting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Here is an idea, how about secretly kidnap Hammond and ship him to the Caribbeans. Then we won't have to worry about trading Lehner. :sarcasm:

The Jangle Meister*

Trading Lehner will suck, get a good return so I dont have to complain

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
THAT WASN'T EVEN THE PURPOSE OF THIS EXCERCIZE!!! :rant:
I'm not comparing ANYONE to Lehner!!!

This was the original question asked:

I mean... you guys are trying to twist the argument into this whole other thing. "Moving the goalposts" x 1000. Come on, it's ridiculous and YOU know it. :shakehead

That wasn't the original question asked. That was a vague assumption which I then challenged asking for goalies who fit a certain requirement, that Lehner falls under, and "have fizzled completely". The whole point of what I was asking for was to show not many do and the ones that did, which UnfinishedSpezza supplied, ended up being top goalies in the league. Even the ones Vesa made comparables too, that were somewhat acceptable, still ended up being number 1 goalies in this league(Pavelec, Khudobin, Smith).

So if the Oilers were to trade for Lehner, who would you be most interested in getting back? Assume 1st overall, Hall, Nuge, and Nurse are untouchable since they probably wouldn't trade them for anything but a stupid overpayment?

For me:

1. Klefbaum
2. Eberle
3. Marincin
4. 16th overall
5. Draisaitl
6. Yakupov

Just to clarify I don't mean straight up. I mean making a package for one.

For me it'd be completely diff. Klefbom just as unlikely to get as their top 4 untouchables, imo.

1)Draisaitl
2)Eberle

3)Yakupov

4)16th overall

I'd only wish to trade Lehner for a piece that would/has potential to help us significantly so that even if Lehner finds his game again and becomes number 1 for nother 10 years for another team, we still got an asset that is also important to our success.

I think if Murray tries hard, he can get Draisaitl out of Edmonton for Lehner+

They have McDavid/RNH down the middle for next decade+ and can afford to move him while they get potential number 1 goalie for next decade+

While we add insurance down middle in case Zibanejad/Turris don't become legitimate number 1 C's.

I wouldn't mind Yak too. I think he'd break out with us and be a legitimate top liner. His tenacity and goalscoring ability+drive could be perfect here.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Here is an idea, how about secretly kidnap Hammond and ship him to the Caribbeans. Then we won't have to worry about trading Lehner. :sarcasm:

It's a no win situation.

Prior to re-signing Hammond, it was written in the fabric of time that which ever goalie Ottawa chooses to trade will end up becoming a Vezina level goalie on a cup contender and we'll later find out that the player we get back in return is actually Cory Conacher wearing a fake mustache as a disguise or something.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Anderson + cowen for oreilley

Pretty sure anderson hated colorado and they hated him. I know a lot of things changed management wise but i doubt either want that. Colorado also have Varlamov who is a good goalie and basically does what anderson does in facing a ton of shots and giving his team a chance to win

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I would like to see Lehner traded because Andy is the better goalie going forward, and Lehner is unlikely to turn out as good as Andy will be in a few years, let alone right now. He also doesn't seem to be good as a backup, and a back up role doesn't seem to suit the amount of development he needs to get his game on track. The team also seems to like Andy and Hammond, so it seems like a no-brainer.

He has some interesting potential that is mostly unrealized as of yet, but he's done exactly nothing for people to be slobbering all over him, other than show flashes of potentially being good one day, sandwiched between consistent holes in his game, and hints of personality issues. There have been better young tenders that have turned out worse, and far more reasons for caution than for blind ferverance.

Normally I would be fine with holding on to him to see how he develops, but now I'm plagued with the irrational enjoyment of seeing him gone just to watch the tears from certain posters.

Jesus what this place can do to a person.... !

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I would like to see Lehner traded because Andy is the better goalie going forward, and Lehner is unlikely to turn out as good as Andy will be in a few years, let alone right now. He also doesn't seem to be good as a backup, and a back up role doesn't seem to suit the amount of development he needs to get his game on track. The team also seems to like Andy and Hammond, so it seems like a no-brainer.

He has some interesting potential that is mostly unrealized as of yet, but he's done exactly nothing for people to be slobbering all over him, other than show flashes of potentially being good one day, sandwiched between consistent holes in his game, and hints of personality issues. There have been better young tenders that have turned out worse, and far more reasons for caution than for blind ferverance.

Normally I would be fine with holding on to him to see how he develops, but now I'm plagued with the irrational enjoyment of seeing him gone just to watch the tears from certain posters.

Jesus what this place can do to a person.... !

Lehner did have a better first 30 games then Gibson and he did have 1 good good 31 game season in bingo. He also was good in his one OHL year and in the calder playoffs when he first got there

His development looks pretty fd up because he never played more then 45 games in a year since junior and that was a split in the AHL and NHL

Kinda funny how people harp on anderson having only shortened seasons when Lehner hasnt really ever carried a ton of games.

I'd say keep lehner but looking at the stats its pretty weird were going to trust a guy who has never played more then 45 games in a year and who looks flawed in net as are starter

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Lehner did have a better first 30 games then Gibson and he did have 1 good good 31 game season in bingo. He also was good in his one OHL year and in the calder playoffs when he first got there

His development looks pretty fd up because he never played more then 45 games in a year since junior and that was a split in the AHL and NHL

Kinda funny how people harp on anderson having only shortened seasons when Lehner hasnt really ever carried a ton of games.

I'd say keep lehner but looking at the stats its pretty weird were going to trust a guy who has never played more then 45 games in a year and who looks flawed in net as are starter

Well Lehner really hasn't been given a chance to run with the ball for long period of time, like you said he hasn't played a lot and it's really hard to judge a goalie who's been on and off a lot out of the lineup and I'd expect him to regress too.

Lehner had .940 sv% on average in half of his starts a couple seasons ago and last year what is a terrible year still had .905 sv% not bad.

I say his potential+ability he has shown already deserve to be kept around unless we get an offer for a substantial piece that could be just as influential on this roster as Lehner could be.

If Anderson was 30 we wouldn't be having this debate but dont see point in keeping Anderson over Lehner unless we are going for it next 2 years.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
You guys are out of control with these trade proposals.

We are trading Lehner and one of our young forwards for a better forward and that is pretty much that.

Writing is on ze wall.

Book it.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Well Lehner really hasn't been given a chance to run with the ball for long period of time, like you said he hasn't played a lot and it's really hard to judge a goalie who's been on and off a lot out of the lineup and I'd expect him to regress too.

Lehner had .940 sv% on average in half of his starts a couple seasons ago and last year what is a terrible year still had .905 sv% not bad.

I say his potential+ability he has shown already deserve to be kept around unless we get an offer for a substantial piece that could be just as influential on this roster as Lehner could be.

If Anderson was 30 we wouldn't be having this debate but dont see point in keeping Anderson over Lehner unless we are going for it next 2 years.

Thats partly why id keep lehner over anderson

Salary
and to me a huge thing that would bother me is if lehner went to some place and put up huge numbers. It wouldnt bother me if anderson goes to edmonton and puts up huge numbers which i think hes very capable of.

If you keep anderson i say go for it but if you are unwilling to go for it and add what necessary through spending or hole you created ie to many bad contract i say trade anderson.

Saying lehner had a .940 save percentage in half his starts a few years ago doesnt mean much to me. He only had 61 starts prior to this year and im guessing if you are using half his starts you are taking the start of last season combined with his previous seasons.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
For me it'd be completely diff. Klefbom just as unlikely to get as their top 4 untouchables, imo.

1)Draisaitl
2)Eberle

3)Yakupov

4)16th overall

I'd only wish to trade Lehner for a piece that would/has potential to help us significantly so that even if Lehner finds his game again and becomes number 1 for nother 10 years for another team, we still got an asset that is also important to our success.

I think if Murray tries hard, he can get Draisaitl out of Edmonton for Lehner+

They have McDavid/RNH down the middle for next decade+ and can afford to move him while they get potential number 1 goalie for next decade+

While we add insurance down middle in case Zibanejad/Turris don't become legitimate number 1 C's.

I wouldn't mind Yak too. I think he'd break out with us and be a legitimate top liner. His tenacity and goalscoring ability+drive could be perfect here.

I don't think Edmonton has any interest in giving up Draisaitl. The deal would have to be lopsided in their favour for them to give him up. Draisatl could play as a 3rd line centre or a top 6 winger, or a mix of both, plus plenty of special teams ice time going forward. He was just drafted by them 3rd overall and is one of the top prospects in all of hockey right now, I'm sure they view him as a potential great piece moving forward. To have a young player with that type of talent on a cheap contract, even for just a few years, is huge for any team. They'd have to be wowed by an offer for him to be moved before ever giving him a chance to hit his potential for them at the NHL level.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Lehner has .914 in 86 games.

Bobrovsky also played for 3rd and 6th best team in NHL at his time with Flyers. While Lehner has played on terrible defensive teams that have just made playoffs or finished bottom 10.

Yup...so anything less then that is a massive failure

The Jangle Meister*

You guys are out of control with these trade proposals.

We are trading Lehner and one of our young forwards for a better forward and that is pretty much that.

Writing is on ze wall.

Book it.

what forward is the question though

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
We will have to add a significant plus to Lehner for Edmonton to even remotely consider trading Draisaitl, and even then the possibility they move him is probably slim to none.

The Jangle Meister*

Still think we have the potential to get ROR, Wiercioch just seems like a good piece for them with his age cap and potential - we would obviously need to add. Our 1st + Puempel Chiasson or Michalek/Macarthur

Zibanejad-ROR-Stone
Hoffman-Turris-Ryan
Macarthur-Pageau-Lazar

if we are getting a top 6 guy for Lehner, we are either adding a significant amount to get Eberle or maybe Oshie. People never speculate on what Buffalo would offer...would hate to see BM get a guy like Moulson..yuck lol

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Still think we have the potential to get ROR, Wiercioch just seems like a good piece for them with his age cap and potential - we would obviously need to add. Our 1st + Puempel Chiasson or Michalek/Macarthur

Zibanejad-ROR-Stone
Hoffman-Turris-Ryan
Macarthur-Pageau-Lazar

if we are getting a top 6 guy for Lehner, we are either adding a significant amount to get Eberle or maybe Oshie. People never speculate on what Buffalo would offer...would hate to see BM get a guy like Moulson..yuck lol

Do you think Melnyk would over pay to get ROR not to test FA?
Do you think ROR can be convenced not to test FA?

I mean he wanted Ryan type money on a one year deal. He accepted less on a two year deal so he could hit UFA and have leverage

I think the sens could easily acquire ROR if they really wanted him. A bigger challenge is signing him

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Meh its Andy that moves he has more value,The team needs to know what they have in Lehner anyhow ,its not like he is going to wreck our cup hopes for next season :laugh:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

I mean he wanted Ryan type money on a one year deal. He accepted less on a two year deal so he could hit UFA and have leverage

I think the sens could easily acquire ROR if they really wanted him. A bigger challenge is signing him
Yeah ROR isnt happening

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Meh its Andy that moves he has more value,The team needs to know what they have in Lehner anyhow ,its not like he is going to wreck our cup hopes for next season :laugh:

Murray said he will trade the goalie he gets the best offer for. Lehner seems to be getting much more interest then anderson which isnt surprising considering the cap crunch and andy's age.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Murray said he will trade the goalie he gets the best offer for. Lehner seems to be getting much more interest then anderson which isnt surprising considering the cap crunch and andy's age.
BM says alot of things ,who knows tbh .I could see an arguement for either ,iam going with my gut on this one

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
If we must trade Lehner(but I hope we don't) really hope Murray makes a package for Draisaitl. Dude could become our Toews, if all develops correctly.

The Jangle Meister*

well clearly I am not in Senators management, all I can speculate on is if we have the pieces to trade for him. In the Scenario that we do trade for him, I would have to assume both of your questions would already be answered 'yes' by management.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad