2015 NHL redraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Yeah no matter how leafs fan shape it Barzals just a level above Marner (for that matter rantanen as well) I just think there's no way around it. We'll have to wait for next year and see if Barzal regresses if Tavares leaves but he just looks like a franchise player everytime I watch him. Just stands out so much

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
This is what I think about Barzal: I think Jack Eichel is the most criminally and ridiculously underrated player in the entire sport. He is close to a PPG player for the team offense forgot, and is dismissed because he is stuck on a team that except drafting Casey has done nothing but make gigantic mistake after gigantic mistake resulting in an embarrassing car wreck of a roster. Eichel is the real deal and if he ever gets to play with something resembling a passable NHL roster he will carry us. That said, if you want to say Barzal is better while I would significantly disagree I wouldn't say that opinion is completely insane.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
And Provorov over Barzal and Rantanen
because #1 D > Winger

Provorov & Werenski both go ahead of Rantanen in a re-draft.

IMO it would go:

McDavid
Eichel
Barzal
Provorov
Boeser (could easily go #2 in a re-draft if he turns into a perrenial Rocket contender)
Werenski
Rantanen
Marner
Aho
Connor

then Hanifin, Konecny, DeBrusk etc

Reactions: Sayonara77

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Sounds like Werenski might have possibly torn his rotator cuff back in game #14

And he still was tied for 2nd in goals for a Dman. I don't think 20-25+ is out of the question for him sometime in his career.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Yeah no matter how leafs fan shape it Barzals just a level above Marner (for that matter rantanen as well) I just think there's no way around it. We'll have to wait for next year and see if Barzal regresses if Tavares leaves but he just looks like a franchise player everytime I watch him. Just stands out so much

You might be right.

These things get very hard to measure for me though when you factor in team systems and match ups. Barzal without Taveres would obviously be dealing with tougher competition game in and game out. He could very well rise to the occasion.

You could also ask the question how much is offensive production affected by the Islanders system. They seem to pay no attention to D and want to trade scoring chances. How many players would see a bump in their numbers in that system?

Barzal looks like a good one though, I'm really not sure which of the two has the higher offensive ceiling, but Barzal does play C which suggests he is doing a harder job, but also in a position more prone to points.

Reactions: 22FUTON9

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
What am I supposed to say to this? "Oh yeah well Matthews would be a third liner on the Islanders! Na na na boo boo!"

Had the Leafs taken Barzal instead of Marner in 2015, or even made the trade with Edmonton for 16th overall to add Marner & Barzal, Barzal would be a massive focal point of your offense and get plenty of "opportunities". He'd be a focal point of the offense for any team that traded for that 16th overall to draft him, zero doubt in my mind.

But hey, if you want to smugly claim he'd be a 4th liner on Toronto cause Kadri & Bozak would hold him back, feel free too.

And if you want to hallucinate things people say and then rebut them to yourself I guess that's your right to.:help:

He was not saying he'd be our 4rth line C, he's saying he would get less ice time. The guy you quoted actually used ice time as the basis of his argument. Our forward group gets it's minutes pretty evenly spread around, that was his point. Your fictional account was amusing though so I'm going to try:

"If you're saying Barzal is the best player in the league I have to tell you he is not. Na na na boo boo!"

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

I wouldn't. I would pick Aho > Hanifin given what I know right now. That said, it's not a slam dunk and I wouldn't complain if someone felt the other way around.

IMO, Aho is the best player on the Canes right now, and still has lots of room to grow. He's 20 years old in his 2nd season in the NHL (and on NA ice) and this season, his point total is the best a Canes player has had since Eric Staal's 70 points in 11/12. His 29 goals is also 3rd best behind Skinner's two 30+ goal seasons over that same stretch. When you take into account the complete player he is, with his incredible hockey sense and the chance that he plays center going forward, to me it's Aho > Hanifin.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
FORWARDS
McDavid
Marner
Eichel
Barzal
Boeser
Aho
Rantanen
Connor
Debrusk
Strome
Konency
Malgin

Defence
Chabot
Provorov
Werenski
Hanifin
Dunn
Nutivaara

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Hey everyone! How about that Pavel Zacha guy?

*cries*

tenor.gif

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
But he did in fact get a lot of ice-time.The coach on the Leafs never hands ice-time to any young player.

I think you missed my post. Barzal is number 10 in the entire NHL in P/60 regardless of how many mins he played.

giphy.gif

Never mind that Barzal gets less ice-time than Matthews and Marner only gets a minute less than Barzal.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I wouldn't. I would pick Aho > Hanifin given what I know right now. That said, it's not a slam dunk and I wouldn't complain if someone felt the other way around.

IMO, Aho is the best player on the Canes right now, and still has lots of room to grow. He's 20 years old in his 2nd season in the NHL (and on NA ice) and this season, his point total is the best a Canes player has had since Eric Staal's 70 points in 11/12. His 29 goals is also 3rd best behind Skinner's two 30+ goal seasons over that same stretch. When you take into account the complete player he is, with his incredible hockey sense and the chance that he plays center going forward, to me it's Aho > Hanifin.
I was in agreement until the last sentence. I think aho will likely be a winger long term. And even if he is the more talented, Hanifin has 1D potential and that is more valuable than any forward minus a franchise center (which Aho is not- again in my opinion)

Regardless, I’m pumped we have both

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
He's really not and neither is Rantanen.
What did Leaf fans tell all of you early in the season and no one listened when there were threads asking if Marner is the nextt Yakupov? Leaf fans stated he needs more TOI and better linemates and you'll see what he can do. The second that occurs Marner was easily as good if not better than Barzal and Rantenan the rest of the season and continued it into the playoffs.
16:28 TOI and 69 points. That says it all. He spent time on the 4th line this season.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
You might be right.

You could also ask the question how much is offensive production affected by the Islanders system. They seem to pay no attention to D and want to trade scoring chances. How many players would see a bump in their numbers in that system?

The repeated comment that the isles coaches somehow told players "Don' worry about playing defense, just score ' is one of the most ridiculous on these boards.

Why do people think JHS was banished to the ahl?
Barzal and Beau were defensively responsible and JHS was not.

Isles were hardly a strong defensive team before CDH missed half a season and Boychuk 18 straight games. Having to play four rookie or sophmore defensemen sunk the isles. It is also a sign of what a lousy job Weight and his staff did in making adjustments, when injuries hit.

Reactions: LordNeverLose

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
He's really not and neither is Rantanen.
What did Leaf fans tell all of you early in the season and no one listened when there were threads asking if Marner is the nextt Yakupov? Leaf fans stated he needs more TOI and better linemates and you'll see what he can do. The second that occurs Marner was easily as good if not better than Barzal and Rantenan the rest of the season and continued it into the playoffs.
16:28 TOI and 69 points. That says it all. He spent time on the 4th line this season.
So much focus on Barzal from Leaf fans :laugh:

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
The repeated comment that the isles coaches somehow told players "Don' worry about playing defense, just score ' is one of the most ridiculous on these boards.

Why do people think JHS was banished to the ahl?
Barzal and Beau were defensively responsible and JHS was not.

Isles were hardly a strong defensive team before CDH missed half a season and Boychuk 18 straight games. Having to play four rookie or sophmore defensemen sunk the isles. It is also a sign of what a lousy job Weight and his staff did in making adjustments, when injuries hit.

Last I checked there was no system in hockey that preached "don't pay any attention to defense" however some systems are more prone to scoring while sacrificing some defense.

Try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad