2015 NHL redraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
DeBrusk has to go lower now with his performance this year and his playoffs too date. Guy has a high motor on both ends of the ice scored yesterday and had 7 hits. Two goals so far and his speed is giving the Leafs problems. He does everything Marner does, just a little less flashy but without any fanfare.
Marner is quickly becoming one of the best players at running a PP, which is something I don't think Debrusk can do. He's playing well, but I don't think he does everything Marner does.

While I do think he has outperformed what people projected of him, there is a case to be made that he should slip a little. You can't really take him over Barzal, Connor, Boeser, and Aho. Then there is Konecny also behind him. Now, he's probably moved ahead of at least Zacha, Strome, and Crouse, but then it gets debatable with a guy like Meier.

This draft looks to be in a position to go down as an all-time great draft class, with very few teams unhappy with their pick (unless they are lamenting passing on Barzal).

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Marner is quickly becoming one of the best players at running a PP, which is something I don't think Debrusk can do. He's playing well, but I don't think he does everything Marner does.

While I do think he has outperformed what people projected of him, there is a case to be made that he should slip a little. You can't really take him over Barzal, Connor, Boeser, and Aho. Then there is Konecny also behind him. Now, he's probably moved ahead of at least Zacha, Strome, and Crouse, but then it gets debatable with a guy like Meier.

This draft looks to be in a position to go down as an all-time great draft class, with very few teams unhappy with their pick (unless they are lamenting passing on Barzal).

Marner would go earlier now maybe 2nd over all and is far out performing the softer Matthews and Nylander. He is in for a huge payday now, going be looking at 7 - 8 million. Easily my favourite Leaf to watch as he is an excellent player. The ones that played major Junior are better adapted to the smaller ice and grind of the NHL playoffs vs the larger ice surface trained players. It was only a comparison in the checking department and steals, DeBrusk out hits him and is more physical maybe a better scorer but Marner is more polished and creative on offense. They play different styles but are effective in their roles. Still they would not be close in the draft position separated by at least 10 spots. They both moved down 2 spots, that is not debatable anymore. He is no longer known as DeBust that everyone pegged him to be. He has at least passed Crouse, Gurianov and maybe Zacha.

Minus running the power play he has 3 power play points but gets very little press. If DeBrusk was on the Leafs we would see all his replays but we do not, shame really they are missing on a lot of little things he does. Wish he had line mates that could keep up to him, Krejci and Nash are not fast at all. In a few years he will have guys like Frederic, Fitzgerald, Donato or Studnicka centering him and probably Senyshyn on the other side. I still take him above Connor, he has a much more complete 200 foot game. I would say he goes anywhere between 11 and 14.

Carlo also drops down to the 1st round with his play to date, shame he missed the playoffs again in the last week with injuries, hurt the Bruins losing their #4 defense man. He was playing top 2 when Chara/McAvoy were out and was excellent. Still too early to say without seeing everyone in the show. Some take longer then others or the depth of the teams means players have to be better then proven stars to get into the lime light. At least the Bruins lead the league in rookie pts this year and puts them in position to transition with the strong drafting they did. Even if they missed on one, it is a guessing game, sheer numbers is their strength and it will show, it already has with 6 rookies playing so far in this series.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Jake Debrusk's legend is growing. Game 7 winner. 2 goals on the night to beat the Leafs. He has impressed me all series. Bruins have a good one here. What a coming out party this series. A player with talent and heart.
I have been told here every time I bring him up that he would drop in the selection process. Maybe if people actually watched him, he is finally getting some love from the commentators. Watch what he does all over the ice and his never give up attitude. Bruins fans have been lucky to watch him grow this year. He leads the rookies in scoring so far, 7 pts in 7 games, 22 hits. His 5 goals tie him with Pasta, Ovi, Kucherov and Courturier.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I have been told here every time I bring him up that he would drop in the selection process. Maybe if people actually watched him, he is finally getting some love from the commentators. Watch what he does all over the ice and his never give up attitude. Bruins fans have been lucky to watch him grow this year. He leads the rookies in scoring so far, 7 pts in 7 games, 22 hits. His 5 goals tie him with Pasta, Ovi, Kucherov and Courturier.

He doesn't have the flashy numbers like other players his age. But in the biggest game in his career, of many young players career in game 7. He was the best of them all tonight. That says something. To be able to perform at the biggest time and stage. That is priceless. Really an under the radar player from the 2015 draft class. But I think people are catching on if they witnessed tonight's game 7 and not only that the entire series.

Reactions: FanSince72

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Provorov at #10? Yikes.

McDavid
Eichel
Werenski
Provorov
Rantanen
Marner
Barzal
Boeser
Hanifin
Aho
Strome
Zacha
Connor
DeBrusk
Konecny
Chabot
Eriksson-Ek
Dunn
Larsson
Carlo

My Top 20, with honorable mentions including Sprong, Beauvillier, Carlsson, Meier, and Samsonov.

5 months later....

Think that list still looks quite accurate honestly. Would have Provorov as the #3 by a wide margin now, and Marner would be further down then #6. Timo Meier gets a huge rise for me as well as I really liked the way his game steadily improved this season.

Think my Top 10 right now would go as follows:

McDavid
Eichel
Provorov
Barzal
Rantanen
Werenski
Boeser
Marner
DeBrusk
Meier

With Connor, Hanifin, Konecny, Dunn, and Aho just outside the Top 10.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
5 months later....

Think that list still looks quite accurate honestly. Would have Provorov as the #3 by a wide margin now, and Marner would be further down then #6. Timo Meier gets a huge rise for me as well as I really liked the way his game steadily improved this season.

Think my Top 10 right now would go as follows:

McDavid
Eichel
Provorov
Barzal
Rantanen
Werenski
Boeser
Marner
DeBrusk
Meier

With Connor, Hanifin, Konecny, Dunn, and Aho just outside the Top 10.
How is Meier ahead of Connor

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
How is Meier ahead of Connor

Pretty easily.

Connor has had the major benefit of playing alongside two of the games very best players in Scheifele and Wheeler for large parts of this season.

Meier has not had the same benefit. The production maybe isn't there for Meier like it is Connor already, but he got better and better as the year went along and to me what's perhaps most important to look at with Meier is his shots and shot attempts and how that continued to improve this year.

It's a very good sign that he's driving the offense for himself and creating offense himself moreso then just benefiting from those around him.

I'll admit I'm higher on Meier then others probably are but I dont really care that much, I expect him to break out in a big way next season production wise and make the people who doubt him look silly.

And Provorov over Barzal and Rantanen

Are you serious?

This one is honestly as easy as it gets. Provorov is a #1D that was a massive reason his Flyers made the playoffs this year. They're supposed to be in another developmental season this year and not expected to make the playoffs but the play of Provorov on the defensive end both at driving the play offensively and at shutting things down in his own zone was a huge reason for them making playoffs.

This one really isn't even close at all. Provorov is far and away the 3rd best player from that draft right now. He has elite #1D written all over his game and has had that for a very long time.

Barzal is going to have to do what he did this year as the #1C and guy teams plan a defensive strategy around, before I'd even consider putting him at #3.

And I'm as big of an Avs fan and Rantanen fan as it gets. Provorov is easily ahead of both guys and easily the #3 prospect right now.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
DeBrusk has to go lower now with his performance this year and his playoffs too date. Guy has a high motor on both ends of the ice scored yesterday and had 7 hits. Two goals so far and his speed is giving the Leafs problems. He does everything Marner does, just a little less flashy but without any fanfare.

You were saying?

Yasuo

Sep 7, 2016
Mcdavid
Barzal
Eichel
Provorov
Rantanen
Werenski
Boeser
Marner
Aho
Connor
Hanifin
Debrusk

That's my top 12

Reactions: Dache

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Marner had a hell of a first round. 9 points in 7 games. If anything he moves up in any redraft.
So by your logic Matthews moves down a few spots because he had a bad series? I like Marner but there's no way I pick him 3rd, infront of guys like Barzal and Provorov. The others are also debatable

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
So by your logic Matthews moves down a few spots because he had a bad series? I like Marner but there's no way I pick him 3rd, infront of guys like Barzal and Provorov. The others are also debatable
Oh I think most have Matthews moving down due to this series. I've seen the responses.

Last edited:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
If you think Barzal will regress than you are in effect saying he is going to magically lose his incredible ability to hunt down and possess the puck next season. It wasn't an accident that his line was the only one on his entire team that wasn't an advanced stats tire fire.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
If you think Barzal will regress than you are in effect saying he is going to magically lose his incredible ability to hunt down and possess the puck next season. It wasn't an accident that his line was the only one on his entire team that wasn't an advanced stats tire fire.
Or it could mean you think the Islanders will play a much less run and gun system and play more defensive, thus taken some opportunities away.

Reactions: Tripod

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Or it could mean you think the Islanders will play a much less run and gun system and play more defensive, thus taken some opportunities away.
This is one of the common misconceptions about the Islanders: their defense was bad because they played "run and gun". Their defense was awful because the coach literally implemented a defensive system that basically required his players to play the position completely wrong. Guys were taught NOT to block shooting or passing lanes and allowing clean unobstructed shots on goal was the entire point of the system. Only Doug Weight or people high on bath salts think that is a good strategy.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

Yeah, but perhaps Toronto will play a much less and run and gun system and play more defensive, taking some opportunities away from Marner.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Yeah, but perhaps Toronto will play a much less and run and gun system and play more defensive, taking some opportunities away from Marner.
Or maybe Marner will play more than 16:28 per game. Do you know how low that is for 69 points? Barzal got more than 1:30 per game.
Barzal would never score that much under Babcock.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Or maybe Marner will play more than 16:28 per game. Do you know how low that is for 69 points? Barzal got more than 1:30 per game.
Barzal would never score that much under Babcock.

I'm sure if Barzal had Babcock as his head coach instead of Doug Weight he'd have scored way more than 85 points. I'd shudder at the amount of offense a coach like Babcock would be able to pull out of a talent like Barzal.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I'm sure if Barzal had Babcock as his head coach instead of Doug Weight he'd have scored way more than 85 points. I'd shudder at the amount of offense a coach like Babcock would be able to pull out of a talent like Barzal.
:laugh::laugh:
Barzal would have never gotten that ice-time or opportunities trust me.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
:laugh::laugh:
Barzal would have never gotten that ice-time or opportunities trust me.

What am I supposed to say to this? "Oh yeah well Matthews would be a third liner on the Islanders! Na na na boo boo!"

Had the Leafs taken Barzal instead of Marner in 2015, or even made the trade with Edmonton for 16th overall to add Marner & Barzal, Barzal would be a massive focal point of your offense and get plenty of "opportunities". He'd be a focal point of the offense for any team that traded for that 16th overall to draft him, zero doubt in my mind.

But hey, if you want to smugly claim he'd be a 4th liner on Toronto cause Kadri & Bozak would hold him back, feel free too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad