Prospect Info: 2015 NHL Entry Draft Thread V: McDAVID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Trade the pick. The Oilers' window to win started last Saturday. Have to do it while McDavid, Yak, Drai, Klef, Nurse are cheap. Can't afford to pay everyone $6M/year.

This may sound weird but this is sort of the reason I think we should keep the pick. We have McDavid for the next 15 years. At some point we might have to trade an Eberle/Yakupov for cap relief. When this happens it would be nice to have a cheap replacement already in the system. A guy like Timo Meier would help.

I mean ideally you acquire a top pairing dman but that isn't easy. I wouldn't move the pick for bandages. It is still a very valuable pick.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Trade the pick. The Oilers' window to win started last Saturday. Have to do it while McDavid, Yak, Drai, Klef, Nurse are cheap. Can't afford to pay everyone $6M/year.

Yup, and reality is McDavid will probably be closer to 12 mill a year.

Win the cup in the next three years.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
This may sound weird but this is sort of the reason I think we should keep the pick. We have McDavid for the next 15 years. At some point we might have to trade an Eberle/Yakupov for cap relief. When this happens it would be nice to have a cheap replacement already in the system. A guy like Timo Meier would help.

I mean ideally you acquire a top pairing dman but that isn't easy. I wouldn't move the pick for bandages. It is still a very valuable pick.

Sure, but bandage is a funny word, it implies some one who really doesn't help the team. If that is the case then ya, don't trade the pick. However I think we can do better than a bandage for the pick. I think we can get some one who puts us over the top.

Blue Bullet

Feb 27, 2002
Bon Accord, AB
Visit site

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I have a good feeling one of the top 10 guys Zacha/Rantanen/Werenski/Barzal/Crouse will fall to the Pitts pick. If not, I'm happy with either Meier/Svechnikov/Harkins/Connor/Bittner/Roy.

Connor McOilers

We have the precious
Feb 16, 2013
There's no way that Crouse drops out of the top-10. Hell, if I were Toronto, I would probably take a long look at him at #4 if the Yotes take Strome. He'd be the perfect complement on the wing to Nylander at C.

True good chance he's gone, but is just haven't heard nearly as much excitement over him since the word jr's and with so much depth in this draft I wouldn't be surprised if teams passed due to the lack of offence.

Who knows though, even if he's there I'd still rather have a starting goalie or solid defencemen.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
True good chance he's gone, but is just haven't heard nearly as much excitement over him since the word jr's and with so much depth in this draft I wouldn't be surprised if teams passed due to the lack of offence.

Who knows though, even if he's there I'd still rather have a starting goalie or solid defencemen.

No goalies that are good enough for Crouse are unavailable and the ones that available are simply not worth Crouse.

Connor McOilers

We have the precious
Feb 16, 2013
No goalies that are good enough for Crouse are unavailable and the ones that available are simply not worth Crouse.

No starting goalies worth more than a prospect that's a few years away? When we have mcdavid on an elc that shouldn't be wasted like the others were of we want to be able to win something before having to ship one or more of them out to stay under the cap?

I agree that the 16th pick probably isn't the one to trade for a goalie, if anything the goalie market of the last few years should show that we could get something done with those two 2nd rounders at least. Might even be able to address it through free agency, but still I'd take a quality roster player over more magic beans, it's time to move past that point. 10 years down the road we might not win the trade, but that's not the point anymore.

OilerOlli*

I have a good feeling one of the top 10 guys Zacha/Rantanen/Werenski/Barzal/Crouse will fall to the Pitts pick. If not, I'm happy with either Meier/Svechnikov/Harkins/Connor/Bittner/Roy.

Don't see it. Imo there is a pretty clear Top 13.

1 McDavid
2 Eichel
3 Hanifin
4 Strome
5 Marner
6 Crouse
7 Werenski
8 Rantanen
9 Barzal
10 Zacha
11 Provorov
12 Connor
13 Meier

Don't think one of them will drop to 16. Perhaps, with a slim chance Meier. But not really likely.
Perhaps an offensive D like Chabot or Roy is who they will be interested in when they pick at 16.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
No starting goalies worth more than a prospect that's a few years away? When we have mcdavid on an elc that shouldn't be wasted like the others were of we want to be able to win something before having to ship one or more of them out to stay under the cap?

I agree that the 16th pick probably isn't the one to trade for a goalie, if anything the goalie market of the last few years should show that we could get something done with those two 2nd rounders at least. Might even be able to address it through free agency, but still I'd take a quality roster player over more magic beans, it's time to move past that point. 10 years down the road we might not win the trade, but that's not the point anymore.

I see Crouse/Zacha/Rantanen/Bittner/Svechnikov as the perfect winger for RNH-Eberle. I wouldn't move the pick knowing we could have something magical down the road for a goalie we could get with 2 2nds or through free agency.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Don't see it. Imo there is a pretty clear Top 13.

1 McDavid
2 Eichel
3 Hanifin
4 Strome
5 Marner
6 Crouse
7 Werenski
8 Rantanen
9 Barzal
10 Zacha
11 Provorov
12 Connor
13 Meier

Don't think one of them will drop to 16. Perhaps, with a slim chance Meier. But not really likely.
Perhaps an offensive D like Chabot or Roy is who they will be interested in when they pick at 16.

One thing you have to take into consideration is every teams have their own rankings. This draft is top 20 heavy, and a team will reach if they feel a player is BPA or the right fit for the team. Remember guys like Crouse, Rantanen, Zacha, Werenski all have question marks and will scare scouts away a bit. Look at last year, Barbashev was ranked top15 and fell to the Oilers 2nd.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Great thread, who should the Oilers take for their 15/16th pick if they don't trade it?

after watching the U18 tourny i am completely sold on Jeremy Roy, he reminds me of a 18 year old kris letang. we have a number of bigger dmen in the system it would be awesome to have a potential letang.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
Later Round Players You'd Like To See The Oilers Take.

for me, a few of these guys would be first from Europe....d-men like Jonas Siegenthaler, 6' 2" and 220, Yegor Rykov, 6' 2" 215, Erik Cernak, 6' 3" 205, and forwards like C Julius Nattanen, 6' 2" 190, and RW Roope Hintz, 6' 3" 185.

from NA, it would be guys like LW Erik Foley, 6' 185, LW Graham Knott, 6' 3" 190, LW AJ Greer, 6' 3" 205, RW Roy Radke, 6' 3" 205, and d-men like RD Loik Leveille, 6' 225, RD Andrew Nielsen, 6' 3" 205, LD Jeremy Lauzon, 6' 2", 195....mostly size and talent if you didn't already notice. the Oilers MUST still draft bigger.

these are just some examples. what do you think? tell us about players we may not know much about that would be good Oiler pickups in the later rounds if you care to! :)

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
With our last pick I'd grab Vladimir Tkachev. Doesn't look like he had the greatest season, but I'd like to see him come back in the fall to training camp, to see what he's able to do. At the least I think he'd be a good option in the AHL, and the later picks are generally wild cards anyway that barely ever turn out. I doubt he gets drafted by anyone else but he could get a couple tryout offers... why not just lock him down if he's still there in the 7th round?

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009

Two Connors in the first round. That'd be a good haul.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Even if none of those guys drop, I'd be thrilled if we can snag Kylington

Yep, Kylington or Roy at 16. If we can package up our 2nd and the Pitts 1st to move up and grab Provorov I'd be all over that trade as well.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Funny, becuase I have been bashing Crouse all year for being too high, but I would love to grab him at 16. If Werenski is still there got to take him, doubt it though.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
With our last pick I'd grab Vladimir Tkachev. Doesn't look like he had the greatest season, but I'd like to see him come back in the fall to training camp, to see what he's able to do. At the least I think he'd be a good option in the AHL, and the later picks are generally wild cards anyway that barely ever turn out. I doubt he gets drafted by anyone else but he could get a couple tryout offers... why not just lock him down if he's still there in the 7th round?

too many teams saw him in the pre season--some feel a team will grab him in the third or fourth or if they an extra pick late in the 2nd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad