Prospect Info: 2015 NHL Entry Draft Thread V: McDAVID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Continue here from the last thread.

Some posts:

I agree with your brother. I guess not everyone does, however.

I could certainly see some scouts and NHL teams having different orders from #1 through #3... and definitely from #3-#5.

For certain McDavid/Eichel go 1-2 but after that I could see a variety of scenarios depending on which teams draft 3-4-5.

If Arizona picks 3rd, I do believe it's Marner they take, regardless of bpa being Hanifin.

I feel comfortable with us getting the choice of Strome and Hanifin at 3 and 4. I prefer D pick, but I'd be excited to see Strome as well!

So these are the comparisons that I've come up with so far. Let me know if you agree or not. (I'm not saying these guys are as good or better but just in terms of style).

Hanifin- Pietrangelo
Provorov- Doughty
Marner- Briere
Werenski- Yandle
Strome- Spezza
Crouse- Nash
Rantanen- Koivu
Barzal- Duchene

Maybe not top3 but if Marner and his Knights can knock out McDavid\Strome and co next round and if Marner continues to outproduce both McDavid and Strome in the playoffs then he will make a strong case for 4th overall. 3rd overall if ARI is drafting at 3.

If a non bottom 4 team wins the lotto then we could be drafting 4th with McEichel+Hanifin already taken. This Erie vs London series might decide who we pick 4th overall.

I have not read or seen anywhere where Hanafin isnt the sure fire #3 man.

Your right though after 3, picks 4 through 10 team depending.

Crouse isn't a Nash comparable.

Thats my opinion

I'm hoping Rantanen falls to the Oilers if Pitts misses the playoffs regardless of who we pick with the 1st pick.

Rantanen is such a weird player to me. He's a rangy skater who has good North-South speed, but needs to work on his edges in close. He has surprisingly good hands, but they're deceptively slow. Almost like Perron, in that he goes inside and out on a defender, and albeit not using quickness, still wins 1 on 1. His acceleration doesn't seem to be great, but his high speed isn't an issue at all.

I really don't know how to project him. He's a boom/bust guy for me. It's either he puts it together and turns into a fabulous players, or he's just one of those prospects that can't make the next step.

Hanifin hasnt shown the grit of Doughty. Pietrangelo I can live with based on stats\size and the 1 game ive seen Hanifin play.

Eberle hasnt shown the speed or grit of Marner. Production in junior is not even close. Yakupov checks more boxes than Eberle when making comparisons to Marner.

Oilers NEED to trade up to get Provorov if he slips to 8-11 due to Russian factor. Move Pitt 1st (16-20) + 2nd + prospect for him

If you came out of the draft with Hanifin and Provorov, the D-core is set for the next 10 years

Hanifin-Provorov
Nurse-Klefbom
Marincin- Schultz/Laleggia

That is pretty amazing d-unit

I have no doubt that Hanifin is the consensus #3 and is likely #3 on almost every draft ranking list out there.

Saying that though, I would be fairly confident in saying that if we could see the draft list of all 30 teams in the NHL... not all 30 would draft Hanifin at #3 if they actually had that pick.

I think MOST teams would not have Hanifin at No. 3. Not that he isn't deserving, but many teams are reluctant to take a defenseman that high guys like Marner and Strome are available and may step into the roster sooner.

So your comparing on Junior to Junior what kinda player they will turn out to be at the NHL level?

That was my comparison?

Edit what am I drunk? that didnt even make sense

I meant your comparing junior to juniors, I was comparing prospects to NHL player.

The grit thing is pretty over rated when you have only seen Hanafin play 1 game?

Like I said.....this draft is a little different. 1 through 3 are locked in stone in my opinion.

Not sure. Hanifin/Marner are almost carbon copies to Jones/ Drouin, both in terms of style and how each rose in the draft year. Jones/Hanifin were top 4 regarded to start the draft year, Drouin/Marner were less regarded but both rose drastically.

Even a team like Tampa loaded with young forwards took Drouin.

I agree with the poster above that Hanifin could absolutely drop beneath Strome/Marner. Unlikely, but possible

I am going to wager we see some very big suprises in the top 10 this year. Not sure what, but something like Barzel going 3rd or a top 5 projected player falling to 15 (ala Grigenko)

That would be sweet, but we don't need, nor NEED to do that to get a great return from Pitts' 1st. If they miss the playoffs, we're practically guaranteed a good player. Timo Meier, for example, is a stud at 14.

Your D-core has 6 LHD, and 1 RHD (Schultz), which isn't necessarily a disaster, but isn't optimal. At that point, you'd probably be looking to deal Klefbom and Marincin for equivalent righties. Starts to look like the Blues a bit. Except I'd have

Hanifin- Nurse
Provorov- xxx
Laleggia- xxx

xxx = two-way, responsible rhd, (Fayne or Klefbom clones)

Ask Shattenkirk if he minds being on the 2nd pairing, :p

It's funny because Hanifin compares himself to Doughty but I don't see him being quite as good offensively as Doughty and doesn't make the big hits Doughty does.

Here's my thought on player comparisons. This is 100% correct and nobody can tell me anything differently:

Hanifin- Hanifin
Provorov- Provorov
Marner- Marner
Werenski- Werenski
Strome- Strome
Crouse- Crouse
Rantanen- Rantanen
Barzal- Barzal

:D

Man I hate comparisons. They are who they are. Just my opinion.

It's not just 15 points, but that he was ridiculous good in that series against a pretty decent hockey team with one of the best goalies in the OHL. For me he is still #5, but let's also recognize that what he did in the regular season was pretty special.

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010
@dousedinoil, it's not offense/points that separates Doughty and Hanifin. It's physicality and aggression. Once he's playing in the AHL, I'll be interested to see if that's something he can develop further.

Doughty's 08 draft numbers aren't more impressive than Hanifin's.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
This is something new I hadn't seen posted in here before. The NHL is apparently going to make video of the draft lottery process available to the public. So that should shut up everyone who thinks they're going to rig the pick to Arizona or Toronto.....

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/n...-draft-lottery-available-for-first-time-ever/

I'm 100% convinced if the Oilers win the lottery they won't give them 1st overall.

I don't care if it's on TV, they can edit videos convincingly.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
@dousedinoil, it's not offense/points that separates Doughty and Hanifin. It's physicality and aggression. Once he's playing in the AHL, I'll be interested to see if that's something he can develop further.

Doughty's 08 draft numbers aren't more impressive than Hanifin's.

Why is this directed at me? I didn't compare Hanifin to Doughty. I agree that Doughty is more physical and aggressive. I don't see Hanifin putting up 59 points like Doughty did either.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I'm 100% convinced if the Oilers win the lottery they won't give them 1st overall.

Even if it was rigged, we already have 3 1st overall selections. We should be the last fan base that is complaining.

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010
Why is this directed at me? I didn't compare Hanifin to Doughty. I agree that Doughty is more physical and aggressive. I don't see Hanifin putting up 59 points like Doughty did either.

You're the one who laughed at Hanifin's own style comparison of himself to Doughty.

In his draft year, Doughty had 50 points in 59 games.

This year, as a 17 year old in College, Hanifin's offensive totals pro-rated to the CHL were a ppg, similar to that of Provorov's. Both Doughty and Hanifin played for low-scoring teams in their draft year.

It's only the physicality that's a question mark when it comes to Hanifin.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
You're the one who laughed at Hanifin's own style comparison of himself to Doughty.

In his draft year, Doughty had 50 points in 59 games.

This year, as a 17 year old in College, Hanifin's offensive totals pro-rated to the CHL were a ppg, similar to that of Provorov's. Both Doughty and Hanifin played for low-scoring teams in their draft year.

It's only the physicality that's a question mark when it comes to Hanifin.

We already have a physical d man in Nurse. That being said, Hanifin/Provorov won't disappoint me. Just stay away from Crouse.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
PHP:

There is a representative of every team in the these draws. I can't believe some people think that the lottery can be rigged.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
PHP:

There is a representative of every team in the these draws. I can't believe some people think that the lottery can be rigged.

The way I see it :
McDavid to Buffalo = Fine.
McDavid to Arizona = Bettman.
McDavid to Oilers = WTF THAT'S NOT FAIR, THEY WILL RUIN MCDAVID, THEY ALREADY GOT 3 FIRST PICKS, ITS A CONSPIRACY, THEY RIGGED IT. -Hf and media outrages-
Finally.. McDavid to Toronto = endless TSN mcdavid leafs blahblahblah stanley cup playoff blahblahblah best player AINEC blahblahblah.

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant
This is something new I hadn't seen posted in here before. The NHL is apparently going to make video of the draft lottery process available to the public. So that should shut up everyone who thinks they're going to rig the pick to Arizona or Toronto.....

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/n...-draft-lottery-available-for-first-time-ever/

Throw in the fact that the ability to edit video has not yet been invented and it's totally legit.

:sarcasm:

Toronto or Philly.

:naughty:

mgc.gif

Last edited:

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
I doubt the Penguins will even miss the playoffs, Sens really screwed themselves by losing twice to the Leafs, that being said if they did happen to slip out and they won the lottery for us that would be the most hilarious, catastrophic thing to ever happen :laugh::laugh:

Walking out of the draft with McDavid and Hanifin and a future lineup of:

Hall - McDavid - Yakupov
Pouliot - RNH - Eberle
Slepyshev - Draisatl - XXXX
Lander - Yakimov - Chase

Nurse - Hanifin
Klefbom - XXXX
Marincin - Schultz

Brossoit/O'Connor

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009

I can't believe some people think this can happen. A system has been established to protect the lottery's integrity. The auditor guarantees that.

Nuge93

Stuck in a "Rebuild"
Jun 27, 2013
Stay away from Crouse and whatever player we get I'll be happy with :yo:

Titsuple

Jun 23, 2009
edmonton
If the Oilers won the draft lottery what would Buffalo have to give you to accept trading them the first overall pick?

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009

So according to that report, they are doing it the same as previous years where they videotape the lottery and provide it to the teams later on for them to investigate it's authenticity. Representatives from each team that can win the lottery are there to receive the results just like in past years. What's from stopping them from running the lottery until they get the team they want to win and showing that to all the teams? I still think it's an Arizona win.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I doubt the Penguins will even miss the playoffs, Sens really screwed themselves by losing twice to the Leafs, that being said if they did happen to slip out and they won the lottery for us that would be the most hilarious, catastrophic thing to ever happen :laugh::laugh:

Walking out of the draft with McDavid and Hanifin and a future lineup of:

Hall - McDavid - Yakupov
Pouliot - RNH - Eberle
Slepyshev - Draisatl - XXXX
Lander - Yakimov - Chase

Nurse - Hanifin
Klefbom - XXXX
Marincin - Schultz

Brossoit/O'Connor

It would be Epic if Tambo was in the crowd. Wonder what his facial expression would be?

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
I can't believe some people think this can happen. A system has been established to protect the lottery's integrity. The auditor guarantees that.

these are just words though, who is this auditor? How do we know its not just some guy the NHL hired to pretend?

Conspiracccyyy maaaaaaannnnn

I'm still weary after the Crosby draft, them changing all these rules right before the McDavid lottery concerns me as well but it's just paranoia, I have nothing to go off.

I still believe they would not give the Oilers 1st overall though, call me crazy but I don't think they would let it happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad