Prospect Info: 2015 NHL Entry Draft Thread V: McDAVID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I'd like the Oilers to get Meier with that #16 pick if he's still available (very unlikely he would be) or else a dman like Roy... but like others I see the Oilers probably dealing the pick for help on D.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Is it bad that I don't care about the deke/pass as much as Barzal's release on that play?

Not at all. It was meant to. Cody posted that video in the Mathew Barzal thread but I thought it'd be worth to show a little bit of Chabot as well since people around here are probably not so familiar with him :) But yes, Barzal has been unreal in the U18's. No way of us getting him though!

McBdayz15

Sep 21, 2007
Edmonton
Yeah, well, I'm having great difficulty picturing a scenario where the Oilers keep that pick anyway.

Oh I agree with you 100% I think the only question that remains is if that pick is going to be used getting us a Dman or a Goalie.. The end of June can't come quick enough now!

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I thought they might have kept the Pittsburgh pick, as originally next season was going to be a "developmental" year.

McDavid changed everything. Almost a guarantee now that Mac T will trade the 1st.

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
I would also like to see the pick dealt for help on defence or in goal, but if we can't find the right return these would be the players I want if they are there with our pick:

Highly Unlikely:
Mikko Rantanen
Mathew Barzal
Ivan Provorov
Zach Werenski

More Reasonable:
Pavel Zacha
Timo Meier
Kyle Connor
Evgeny Svechnikov
Jeremy Roy

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I would also like to see the pick dealt for help on defence or in goal, but if we can't find the right return these would be the players I want if they are there with our pick:

Highly Unlikely:
Mikko Rantanen
Mathew Barzal
Ivan Provorov
Zach Werenski

More Reasonable:
Pavel Zacha
Timo Meier
Kyle Connor
Evgeny Svechnikov
Jeremy Roy

Yes, please. Also, Chabot, Kylington, and Harkins.

coolwasabi

Dec 18, 2005
Vancouver, Canada
Oilers picking 1st and (likely) 15th!

The pick we got for David Perron - who has been seriously slumping for months now - is looking good to turn into the 15th overall.

If the Flames (up 3-1) advance and the Penguins (down 1-3) don't, then that pick becomes 15th overall, the lowest of the playoff teams.
edit: as pointed out below, the pick only becomes a 15th if Calgary makes it to the Conference Finals.

15th overall nets a good prospect or, even better, can be used in a draft day trade for help now.
For example:
- Cory Schneider was traded for a 9th overall pick (Bo Horvat)
- Semyon Varlamov was traded for an 11th overall pick (Filip Forsberg) and a 2nd rounder.

Hopefully, we can get a top-4 dman or starting goalie with that pick (perhaps packaged with a prospect).

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I believe the Flames need to make it to the conference finals before the pick would drop a spot.

So, it's likely they pick 16th. Not 15th.

Apathetic

Oct 29, 2010
Downtown
The pick we got for David Perron - who has been seriously slumping for months now - is looking good to turn into the 15th overall.

If the Flames (up 3-1) advance and the Penguins (down 1-3) don't, then that pick becomes 15th overall, the lowest of the playoff teams.

15th overall nets a good prospect or, even better, can be used in a draft day trade for help now.
For example:
- Semyon Varlamov was traded for an 11th overall pick (Filip Forsberg) and a 2nd rounder.

Hopefully, we can get a top-4 dman or starting goalie with that pick (perhaps packaged with a prospect).

I don't think Calgary's pick becomes lower unless they make the conference finals.

Why

Jan 15, 2014
Edmonton
Looks like things might finally start going our way!! Maybe Mac T pulled off something decent here. I still want him gone tho!

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012

For example:

Worth noting that Varlamov was traded before the season and Schneider was traded at the draft, explaining the differences in trade value.

McKappa

philip bruhberg
Oct 16, 2011
Edmonton
If we keep the pick I want to take a serious look a Jeremy Roy, who is a RHD from the QMJHL. Unless Pronovov or Werenski somehow falls to us we should take Roy. Wouldn't mind Chabot either if Roy is taken by Dallas.

I have very mixed feeling about Kylington though, apparently he's been doing less than stellar recently. But I feel like he has huge upside. Wasn't he in top 5 contention before Strome/Marner came into the picture?

As for forwards, Zacha could be worth looking at if he falls to the Oilers. He might be a little boombust though.

bolobow

May 3, 2006
Trade the pick. The Oilers' window to win started last Saturday. Have to do it while McDavid, Yak, Drai, Klef, Nurse are cheap. Can't afford to pay everyone $6M/year.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
Yup. The Oilers have entered a three year ELC window with McDavid. The next two years are huge since Draisaitl, Nurse, Yakupov are all on very reasonable deals.

The Oilers have to make some serious pitches for a no.1 goalie and two top 4 defensemen.

In the ideal world, the top 5 d in two years are:

UPGRADE
UPGRADE
Klefbom
Nurse
Fayne

coolwasabi

Dec 18, 2005
Vancouver, Canada
I believe the Flames need to make it to the conference finals before the pick would drop a spot.

So, it's likely they pick 16th. Not 15th.
Ah. My bad. I stand corrected!
So long as the Penguins are eliminated though, we can at least be assured that it will be a 16 or 15. Pretty good :)

Ideally, they make a trade with a team in cap hell. Something like Penguins' Pick + something else (Marincin?) for Brent Seabrook.

1Boliever

Previously HH
Jan 10, 2014
Canada
If we keep the pick I want to take a serious look a Jeremy Roy, who is a RHD from the QMJHL. Unless Pronovov or Werenski somehow falls to us we should take Roy. Wouldn't mind Chabot either if Roy is taken by Dallas.

I have very mixed feeling about Kylington though, apparently he's been doing less than stellar recently. But I feel like he has huge upside. Wasn't he in top 5 contention before Strome/Marner came into the picture?

As for forwards, Zacha could be worth looking at if he falls to the Oilers. He might be a little boombust though.

My guess is that Calgary would take Roy if he is available (which is likely 1 pick before Edmonton's.

McQuixote

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton, AB

Highly Unlikely:
Mikko Rantanen
Mathew Barzal
Ivan Provorov
Zach Werenski

More Reasonable:
Pavel Zacha
Timo Meier
Kyle Connor
Evgeny Svechnikov
Jeremy Roy

What are the thoughts on a guy like Bittner? Does watching a guy like Saad in the playoffs make Bittner an attractive option for our team? Or at 16 is there just too much "better" talent available to consider him?

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
What are the thoughts on a guy like Bittner? Does watching a guy like Saad in the playoffs make Bittner an attractive option for our team? Or at 16 is there just too much "better" talent available to consider him?

This is more it. I haven't seen Bittner play a whole lot with them being in the opposite conference as the Rebels. I do like what I have seen in my limited viewings, a big guy and can skate pretty well. I definitely wouldn't be upset if they used Pitt's pick on him. I just like the others a bit more.

Connor McOilers

We have the precious
Feb 16, 2013
I'm on board with trading Pittsburgh's pick for d or a starting goalie, but hypothetically if the pick is used and Lawson Crouse is on the board do we look his direction? I assume MacT likes him plenty based on size and physicality, but the lack of offence is obviously an issue when there's likely to be a ton of talent at that position in this draft.

When we were picking 3rd I would personally have kicked MacT's ass myself if they reached for him, and originally the Pittsburgh pick wasn't expected to be low enough to have a shot at him, but the new circumstances make me wonder if he's worth the risk. Could be the top 6 power forward that diversifies our forward group, or could be more along the lines of Moroz.

I'm on board with trading Pittsburgh's pick for d or a starting goalie, but hypothetically if the pick is used and Lawson Crouse is on the board do we look his direction? I assume MacT likes him plenty based on size and physicality, but the lack of offence is obviously an issue when there's likely to be a ton of talent at that position in this draft.

When we were picking 3rd I would personally have kicked MacT's ass myself if they reached for him, and originally the Pittsburgh pick wasn't expected to be low enough to have a shot at him, but the new circumstances make me wonder if he's worth the risk. Could be the top 6 power forward that diversifies our forward group, or could be more along the lines of Moroz.

There's no way that Crouse drops out of the top-10. Hell, if I were Toronto, I would probably take a long look at him at #4 if the Yotes take Strome. He'd be the perfect complement on the wing to Nylander at C.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Perron has three goals in his last 31 games(playoffs and regular season) and we're getting a mid first rounder in a deep draft.

Wicked trade. Good job Mac-T :handclap:

6 God

Jul 12, 2013
Perron has three goals in his last 31 games(playoffs and regular season) and we're getting a mid first rounder in a deep draft.

Wicked trade. Good job Mac-T :handclap:

Yup. And his attitude was going to become cancerous too.

I dont blame him though, he was disgruntled because we were losing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad