Prospect Info: 2015 NHL Entry Draft Thread V: McDAVID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Here's my mock draft up to the St. Louis pick

1st - McDavid
4th - Hanifin(trade Draisaitl+)
15th - Zacha
33rd - Juulsen
55th - Lindgren
85th - Samsonov

Extremly optimistic I know.

Better yet:
1. McDavid (best player this draft)
16. ROY (best RD this draft)
33. Kylington (best Euro available)
55. Samsonov (best goalie this draft)

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Better yet:

At this point it's hard to call Kylington the best Euro but I agree with the rest. I'd be very happy with those picks. If Kylington is gone by 33 then pick Roslovic if he makes it that far

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Matthews is one of the oldest players eligible for the 2016 draft. So yeah, he should be dominating.

That said, inb4 Oilers win Matthews next year. ;)

The Oilers miss out on playoff spot due to ROW's and everyone is crushed. Then a week later they win the 2016 lottery.

Imagine the reaction here, on HF as a whole and in the Toronto based hockey media.

In all seriousness though, the Oiler's 2016 #1 pick will be very valuable. It is again a draft with exceptional top end talent and because of the new lottery structure any non-playoff pick will be significant. That is an asset that I would dangle very hard for a defenseman.

OilerOlli*

The Oilers miss out on playoff spot due to ROW's and everyone is crushed. Then a week later they win the 2016 lottery.

Imagine the reaction here, on HF as a whole and in the Toronto based hockey media.

In all seriousness though, the Oiler's 2016 #1 pick will be very valuable. It is again a draft with exceptional top end talent and because of the new lottery structure any non-playoff pick will be significant. That is an asset that I would dangle very hard for a defenseman.

Right, and there should be zero doubts that the 1st round pick for 2016 is untradeable. At least before draft day.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
http://thehockeywriters.com/meet-the-steal-of-the-nhl-draft/

Any thoughts on Erie Otters d-man Travis Dermott?

These guys are calling him potential steal of the draft.

McDavid & Strome get so much hype you wonder if this guy has flown under the radar.

No he hasn't really flown under the radar, he's a smaller offensive dman that put up good offensive numbers buy didn't light up the league.

He's a genuine power play qb but I take his offensive numbers with a grain of salt just because of how offensive his team is with McDavid, Strome, Brincate etc etc. One thing I will give him a pass on is his size. 5'11" isn't big but iirc he is 200 lbs. He's not tall but he is very solid and isn't terrible defensively like so many of the young offensive dmen.

I wouldn't have a problem with taking him with Montreal's 2nd or we could wait and grab Alexandre Carrier in round 3, I'm a big fan of his too.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Better yet:

Kylington wont fall that far he'll be top 15. IF we got him with any pick other that 1oa it'd be a steal.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
One thing I read a lot is... xxx player won't fall... and xxx player won't fall... out of the top 10/15.

Thing is... when you add up all the players that supposedly won't fall.. it's usually more than 10/15 players :) ... so someone basically HAS to fall out of that top 10/15 group almost by default.

I think if the Oilers keep that pick and draft at #16 (and ideally a #15) they will a get a solid pick... likely someone with size+skill will still be around at that spot. There seems to be enough solid prospects in this 1st round that there will still be a very good prospect available at that point.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
One thing I read a lot is... xxx player won't fall... and xxx player won't fall... out of the top 10/15.

Thing is... when you add up all the players that supposedly won't fall.. it's usually more than 10/15 players :) ... so someone basically HAS to fall out of that top 10/15 group almost by default.

I think if the Oilers keep that pick and draft at #16 (and ideally a #15) they will a get a solid pick... likely someone with size+skill will still be around at that spot. There seems to be enough solid prospects in this 1st round that there will still be a very good prospect available at that point.

I'm skeptical someone will fall. I think it's a pretty defined top13 at this point and after that it's a big dropoff. So if someone from the top13 falls then some team will have gone for a pretty big reach. The only one I could potentially see fall to our pick is Timo Meier. I bet a few teams have him pretty low while others are really high on him. I don't see Crouse/Rantanen/Zacha or any of the top D-men (Provorov/Werenski) falling to us.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Right, and there should be zero doubts that the 1st round pick for 2016 is untradeable. At least before draft day.

I think you can trade that pick and protect it if turns out to win the lottery by switching to a 2017.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I'm skeptical someone will fall. I think it's a pretty defined top13 at this point and after that it's a big dropoff. So if someone from the top13 falls then some team will have gone for a pretty big reach. The only one I could potentially see fall to our pick is Timo Meier. I bet a few teams have him pretty low while others are really high on him. I don't see Crouse/Rantanen/Zacha or any of the top D-men (Provorov/Werenski) falling to us.

No doubt there is a solid consensus of the top 12/13/15 etc players... but obviously every NHL team will have a slightly different list and some lists will not look like the consensus list once it gets past 12/13 etc... in fact most likely don't.

It's all speculation but let's say Kylington and Roy are higher on some NHL team lists than shown on consensus lists... then even though consensus says they aren't going to go top 15.. they might sneak up there... leaving 1 or 2 "consensus" higher rated players to drop.

Maybe some GM has a hard on for size and selects Bittner or Carlo higher than expected... there's a lot of variables that can make some players rise and fall... and I highly doubt the consensus top 13/15 will be taken without some surprise reaches and falls.

I'd be very happy with Meier at 15/16 by the way... I think he easily goes top 10.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Since Calgary made the second round and the Penguins lost, is that Penguins first now the 15th overall?

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
Better yet:

^this probably fills our system's needs quite well, though if they do get Jeremy Roy at #16, i doubt they would take a second RD with pick #33. if i had to guess, they'd probably go after a power forward at that spot. could be players like RW Christian Fischer or RW Nikita Korostelev or C Adam Musil, maybe a big Euro like C Alex Dergachyov or LW Filip Ahl....these guys all have great size!

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I don't expect them to either. I was just referring to them having to make it through to the 3rd round in order for the PIT 1st to become 15 overall.

It's not yet? That's weird, I thought it was per round of the team, or does that not count until Conference finals?

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
No he hasn't really flown under the radar, he's a smaller offensive dman that put up good offensive numbers buy didn't light up the league.

He's a genuine power play qb but I take his offensive numbers with a grain of salt just because of how offensive his team is with McDavid, Strome, Brincate etc etc. One thing I will give him a pass on is his size. 5'11" isn't big but iirc he is 200 lbs. He's not tall but he is very solid and isn't terrible defensively like so many of the young offensive dmen.

I wouldn't have a problem with taking him with Montreal's 2nd or we could wait and grab Alexandre Carrier in round 3, I'm a big fan of his too.

So he's Danny Syvret?

Syvret got like 50 2nd assists on Perry/Schremp goals in London. lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad