Proposal: 2015-2016 Season Trade Rumours & Proposals | Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The prices the last couple of days shows this is a huge sellers market. You better believe someone is willing to overpay for him.

Well, a sellers market for Dmen. Has a standard been set for 3rd line centers yet?

I'm hoping we can offload Wier for a 2nd.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I 100% believe we can get a second rounder for Smith, and we need to do it.

Smith has scored 13 goals which is more than a number of players that so many on here prefer over Smith like Prince & Zibanejad. It's time this team start taking a step forward & picks & prospects are not going to help this team win games & start taking this team to another level. Smith does so many things for this team which most on here either don't notice or don't care, luckily we have a coach & a GM that realize the importance of players like Smith & Boro to this team.

Why don't we get rid of Pageau, Wideman & Prince for 2nd rounders & get rid of the small players on this team?

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
We should make a pitch for Drouin or Yakupov but try not to overdo it.

I wouldn't mind trading away Smith and/or Weircioch if we can get return but if not - I wouldn't bother. Because the reason for trading then becomes to open up space for younger players who can develop. We've managed to get our younger players opportunities up until now. Why trade away Smith for nothing?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Smith is totally gonna sustain that 19% Shooting percentage guys. Better hold onto him. This is totally sustainable and we shouldn't sell because this asset is only going up! /s

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Why Trade Smith at all? He is a versatile bottom 6r that can PK and slide up when needed. Good guy to keep.

# 1 to go on my list is Chiasson
2 is Neil
3 Boro

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Smith has scored 13 goals which is more than a number of players that so many on here prefer over Smith like Prince & Zibanejad. It's time this team start taking a step forward & picks & prospects are not going to help this team win games & start taking this team to another level. Smith does so many things for this team which most on here either don't notice or don't care, luckily we have a coach & a GM that realize the importance of players like Smith & Boro to this team.

Why don't we get rid of Pageau, Wideman & Prince for 2nd rounders & get rid of the small players on this team?

No. 1234

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
i have no problem in keeping smith if we are using him in the right role, seeing him on pp unit 1 and hoffman on 2 is very very annoying and honestly if he was used in the right role i doubt anyone would want him traded

for a significant portion of the season he played more than half of our top 6 guys, blah blah intangibles but more often than not you really need your skill guys to win you games. You give smith 3rd/4th line minutes (like last game) and the whole issue goes away

that being said he is playing way above his head atm (probably his best/2nd best season in the nhl) so it might be worth it to sell high on him

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Smith isn't really a big guy, nor does he really use what size he has all that effectively, and he leaves a lot to be desired in other aspects of his game. He wins faceoffs, and thanks to a completely unsustainable Sh% has hit a career high in goals, but don't be fooled, he isn't going to provide offense long term, and his defensive play is average at best.

Between Paul and Lazar, and Pageau, there isn't a lot of room for him as a center in the bottom 6. When MacArthur returns, there's no way we need Smith in the top 6. Hoffman and by the looks of it Dzingel make LW in the top 9 out of the question for him. Now's the time to take advantage of Smith's all time high value. You should be happy, it might make room for Paul in the lineup.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Why Trade Smith at all? He is a versatile bottom 6r that can PK and slide up when needed. Good guy to keep.

2 is Neil
3 Boro

You might be able to get a 3rd round and 4th round pick for that group.

You move Smith because he brings back value and is being squeezed out by Pageau, Lazar, and maybe Paul up the middle, MacArthur, Hoffman, Dzingel, maybe Paul at LW.

That doesn't even take into account Prince, or Puempel potentially making the team.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013

I love smith, and I always did, and I knew playing with Greening and Neil so much hindered him. BUT at the same time this asset is worth a lot right now, and its time to cash in on it.

Boro serves no importance to this team though so I don't know what you are going on about with there.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

2 is Neil
3 Boro

My list is different than yours.
1. Prince
2. Wideman
3. Pageau

i have no problem in keeping smith if we are using him in the right role, seeing him on pp unit 1 and hoffman on 2 is very very annoying and honestly if he was used in the right role i doubt anyone would want him traded

for a significant portion of the season he played more than half of our top 6 guys, blah blah intangibles but more often than not you really need your skill guys to win you games. You give smith 3rd/4th line minutes (like last game) and the whole issue goes away

that being said he is playing way above his head atm (probably his best/2nd best season in the nhl) so it might be worth it to sell high on him

How is Smith to blame for where he is playing, blame the coach not Smith? So is Pageau playing over his head let's get rid of him instead.

Smith isn't really a big guy, nor does he really use what size he has all that effectively, and he leaves a lot to be desired in other aspects of his game. He wins faceoffs, and thanks to a completely unsustainable Sh% has hit a career high in goals, but don't be fooled, he isn't going to provide offense long term, and his defensive play is average at best.

Between Paul and Lazar, and Pageau, there isn't a lot of room for him as a center in the bottom 6. When MacArthur returns, there's no way we need Smith in the top 6. Hoffman and by the looks of it Dzingel make LW in the top 9 out of the question for him. Now's the time to take advantage of Smith's all time high value. You should be happy, it might make room for Paul in the lineup.

Smith does a lot more than Prince & he has been shifted to LW where he can challenge Prince for a roster spot instead of at centre. When MacArthur returns we will have three small soft LWers & Prince makes four. IMO when MacArthur returns Dzingel will be sent back to Bingo it will be next yr at training camp that will decide what happens on LW not the end of the season. I look forward to having both Smith & Paul in the lineup & getting rid of the little players that make this team so soft.

You might be able to get a 3rd round and 4th round pick for that group.

You move Smith because he brings back value and is being squeezed out by Pageau, Lazar, and maybe Paul up the middle, MacArthur, Hoffman, Dzingel, maybe Paul at LW.

That doesn't even take into account Prince, or Puempel potentially making the team.
That's ridiculous because a 3rd round pick may or may not bring back value & if it does it is still yrs away & doesn't help now. Ottawa is at the point now where they are near the end of their rebuild & need players who can contribute now so that they can take the next step & not continuously being in the process of rebuilding. At some point it has to end. Keep Smith & get rid of Pageau.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
How is Smith to blame for where he is playing, blame the coach not Smith? So is Pageau playing over his head let's get rid of him instead.

pageau isnt playing on the top unit though

and i agree we need to be blaming cameron, im still on board with getting rid of cameron, issue is with cameron being 'really good buddies' with melnyk and with us going through coaches like candy i dont see it happening

thats why im for the money ball approach, either coach starts using some common sense or we trade pieces so he is forced to use comoon sense

also side note on pageau i dont think he has consistently gotten more ice time then our top 6 forwards like smith has so i dont understand that argument

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Those players can play hockey.

1) Borowiecki
2) Neil
3) Chiasson

Those three are the wastes of this team

Agreed. I have always supported Neil but I'd be ok with him moving over for a younger player at this point.

I like Boro as a person and I like his spirit but he can go to and make room for one of our younger developing D.

Chiasson well... I have nothing good to say about him.

Those 3 make us more bad than good.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I love smith, and I always did, and I knew playing with Greening and Neil so much hindered him. BUT at the same time this asset is worth a lot right now, and its time to cash in on it.

Boro serves no importance to this team though so I don't know what you are going on about with there.

Well I would agree that Smith is an important & valuable asset especially to this team & should be kept & I would trade a number of other players including Pageau before I would trade Smith. A draft pick does not improve this team right now so what is the point of acquiring a 3rd rd pick which may or may not help you in 3 to 5 yrs time? Where is the value in that when this team should be posturing to take the next step now & not wait for some draft pick/prospect to mature.

Are you unaware that BM at the beginning of this season extended Boro with a new 3 yr extension? Are you unaware that the coach, the GM & his teammates love this guy? I am willing to bet $100 right now with anyone that Boro will not be traded from this team this season or this summer & will be in the lineup for next yr. This organization love this guy more than Wiercioch, more than Wideman & more than Claesson, they are not going to move him even though this board hates him. They see his hits, his blocked shots, his fights, his leadership & his defensive play as valuable to the team, more valuable in fact than anything else the other three bring which is why he is in the lineup & they are not.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

2 is Neil
3 Boro

Yeah but what can you get for those guys?

Smith is never going to be more valuable than he is right now.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Smith is a guy soon to be weeded out by younger players. Coincidentally his value is at an all time high. Almost too perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad