Prospect Info: 2015-16 Rangers Prospects Thread Part II (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 2.19.16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Back to this thread; why is Kovacs not listed as a top-10 Rangers prospect in any of the lists? I think he's a safer bet to be an NHL player than many of these dudes.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Saarela had an issue with a coach in Finland. People bring up the injuries but he hasn't missed many games. I read that stuff about the coach in a draft preview article from last June. Duclair had an issue with Roy and a high ankle sprain. Saarela was really good in the U18 for Finland last spring but he still went late in the 3rd.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Saarela had an issue with a coach in Finland. People bring up the injuries but he hasn't missed many games. I read that stuff about the coach in a draft preview article from last June. Duclair had an issue with Roy and a high ankle sprain. Saarela was really good in the U18 for Finland last spring but he still went late in the 3rd.

The year before his draft year he only played 29 games because of the concussion.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I am okay with us trading away 1st rounders if we keep drafting these gems in the 3rd, but why are we then trading those gems away as well?

Contemplate this: If they're so good at finding third round gems, think about what they can do with 1st rounders......lol Lets keep'em man.

Who knows it might work out better than trading #1's and top prospects for a #1 PMD and using him as a #5 option. (shaking my head over Yandle's usage by AV)

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I'd rather not play with fire hoping that a possible first-round talent slipped to the third round every year. We've been pretty lucky these past few years with how our mid-round picks have turned out.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Contemplate this: If they're so good at finding third round gems, think about what they can do with 1st rounders......lol Lets keep'em man.

Who knows it might work out better than trading #1's and top prospects for a #1 PMD and using him as a #5 option. (shaking my head over Yandle's usage by AV)

I agree that we should keep the prospects, but the playing field is more even with first round picks, scouting doesn't have to be as good. You certainly don't need to be a scout to know McDavid is good. Look at how bad Edmonton has scouted in recent seasons, they had picked terribly after the first round prior to 2015, but they hit on Draisaitl, Hall, RNH because it doesn't take great scouting to know they were going to be very good NHL players.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'd rather not play with fire hoping that a possible first-round talent slipped to the third round every year. We've been pretty lucky these past few years with how our mid-round picks have turned out.

It happens every year though, a potential first round talent going into the season slips out of the first two rounds. It usually happens with multiple prospects. Some teams don't have the confidence in their scouts to trust them that these players will bounce back, and some teams prefer to pick players on the up rather than players on the down.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
It happens every year though, a potential first round talent going into the season slips out of the first two rounds. It usually happens with multiple prospects. Some teams don't have the confidence in their scouts to trust them that these players will bounce back, and some teams prefer to pick players on the up rather than players on the down.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to this philosophy if we were trading off assets to garner extra mid-round picks. I just don't think constantly trading first round picks is a good idea if you're basing those decisions on being able to possibly find a good player in the 3rd or 4th.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Halverson continued his terrific play, stopping 36 of 37 for the W. He finally got the GAA under 3 and his SV% is up to .908.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Halverson continued his terrific play, stopping 36 of 37 for the W. He finally got the GAA under 3 and his SV% is up to .908.

His SV% since returning from WJC got to be in .920+ range while GAA at 2.50 or lower, no? That turnament does wonders for prospects' development.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to this philosophy if we were trading off assets to garner extra mid-round picks. I just don't think constantly trading first round picks is a good idea if you're basing those decisions on being able to possibly find a good player in the 3rd or 4th.

Yeah to be honest I would rather have 2 2nds and 2 3rds than 1 first, unless we are talking top-5

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
His SV% since returning from WJC got to be in .920+ range while GAA at 2.50 or lower, no? That turnament does wonders for prospects' development.

He's certainly been playing up to his talent level.

However, his earlier struggles, if taken with the right approach, can be far more valuable to his development than if he picked up right where he left off after last season.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Yeah to be honest I would rather have 2 2nds and 2 3rds than 1 first, unless we are talking top-5

I think the Rangers have done very well with trying to find talent in the second and third rounds, but long-term nothing beats having those first round picks.That's where your best odds of finding talent and higher-end talent exists.

But you do raise an interesting point as to how much a first round pick is worth. Hypothetically, four picks in the top 90 might be worth one pick in the top 30, depending on where all the picks are.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I know this will be a stupid comment, but I would rather a 1st and multiple picks in the 2nd/3rd.

Not having a 1st, to me, means taking a 'safer' player in the 2nd round. Teams must get players out of a NHL draft.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
He's certainly been playing up to his talent level.

However, his earlier struggles, if taken with the right approach, can be far more valuable to his development than if he picked up right where he left off after last season.

I hear you and completely agree. I made a comment awhile ago in Buchnevich thread that his trade to SKA and subsequent adjustments (dealing with new linemates, limited ice time, different role, new city etc) are good for his overall development in the long run.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I know this will be a stupid comment, but I would rather a 1st and multiple picks in the 2nd/3rd.

Not having a 1st, to me, means taking a 'safer' player in the 2nd round. Teams must get players out of a NHL draft.

See: Gropp, Ryan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad