Prospect Info: 2015-16 Rangers Prospects Thread Part II (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 2.19.16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Which is why i laugh when people say we haven't drafted well.

Back in the late 90's and early 2000's we stunk at drafting, but over the last decade we have been very, very good with the limited amount of 1st round picks or high draft picks.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I love Kovacs intensity. He is a total badass. I have never seen a swedish player like him. I like Saarela he is not huge but he doesn't play weak. I think he is very talented.

He's actually Hungarian but his family lives in Sweden. I guess kinda like how Zuc is Italian but from Norway.

The fact that he's not listed as a top 10 prospect for the Rangers is a joke. Nothing is certain but the kid looks like he's gonna be a royal pain in the butt to the league with some skill. Rangers haven't had a guy like that since Avery.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He's actually Hungarian but his family lives in Sweden. I guess kinda like how Zuc is Italian but from Norway.

The fact that he's not listed as a top 10 prospect for the Rangers is a joke. Nothing is certain but the kid looks like he's gonna be a royal pain in the butt to the league with some skill. Rangers haven't had a guy like that since Avery.

I think Zucc's father is Sicilian and his mother Norwegian, IIRC.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Back in the late 90's and early 2000's we stunk at drafting, but over the last decade we have been very, very good with the limited amount of 1st round picks or high draft picks.

The only pick I care about from the early 2000's our our 2000 7th rounder... :)

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Fogarty had ND's only goal. It was his 22nd point and established a career high for him.

Halverson came up 1:04 short of his first shutout, but did stop 27/28 to get the victory. He's red hot and really salvaged his season.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Saarela was once considered to be the best 1997-born prospect in all of Finland. The head shots dropped him to the late 3rd.

Anybody who watched him at the U18's last April or before knows this kid was a special talent. Elite, top-line potential. The question was his health. That's it.

It's should still be a concern. He's literally a Komarov elbow or a Simmonds sucker punch from living in Troy Aikman Land.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Gropp had a goal and an assist last night. That gives him 59 points on the season, which eclipses his 58 from last year and is a new high for him in 12 fewer games.

Morrison had an assist on his team's only goal.

Iverson didn't play again. He's been in and out of the lineup since he had his clocked cleaned on a dirty hit that got the other guy suspended. He's had a **** year either way. Looks like an AHL contract guy at this point.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Gropp had a goal and an assist last night. That gives him 59 points on the season, which eclipses his 58 from last year and is a new high for him in 12 fewer games.

Morrison had an assist on his team's only goal.

Iverson didn't play again. He's been in and out of the lineup since he had his clocked cleaned on a dirty hit that got the other guy suspended. He's had a **** year either way. Looks like an AHL contract guy at this point.

Iverson was suspended. He took out an opposing player on Friday and the WHL suspended him for the Saturday. He could be suspended for more than one game. I like Iverson. He provides some toughness and sometimes dirty play. Bottom six forward who can wing and center. Right handed shot. The Rangers have room to give him a SPC.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Kovacs scored today. 20th goal of the season.

He just doesn't suck at shootouts/penalty shots. He's like a mini-Zucc.

Kovac is having a good year on the stat sheet although the numbers don't jump out on you.

In a league with 14 teams, he is 19th overall in scoring and 5th overall in goals. He also must have some record for goals scored on PSs, seems like he has 3-4 of them on the year. In Europe you can choose the shooter on a PS too, but they are still so rare.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Iverson was suspended. He took out an opposing player on Friday and the WHL suspended him for the Saturday. He could be suspended for more than one game. I like Iverson. He provides some toughness and sometimes dirty play. Bottom six forward who can wing and center. Right handed shot. The Rangers have room to give him a SPC.

Maybe. He hasn't progressed at all since being drafted, either statistically or in terms of his on-ice ability. He's just a bigger Shane McColgan. I'm reluctant to write off any prospect, but three years of stagnation doesn't bode well for a guy's chances of making the NHL.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Iverson is a really good skater and though not tall he has a big body and he likes to play physical. If anyone sees him as top 9 material in the NHL they're out to lunch but as a potential 4th liner energy winger with some edge to his game that's realizable. I don't know if I'd offer an ELC but it wouldn't hurt the Rangers signing him to an AHL deal.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
The 2014 Draft was a weak one depth-wise, so in retrospect, Gorton and Clark were correct in grabbing two goalies early. You can't even argue against taking Iverson or Nanne or Walcott or Mantha because it seems as if only a handful of Europeans and one or two CHL'ers drafted after the 2nd round are worth a ****.

Granted, the Nejelzcheb/Walcott picks were brutal. So the garbage we in in Hartford has a lot to do with striking out from a depth standpoint.

This draft needs to be BPA all the way but late-1998 birthdays. No more reaches and late bloomers.

I would pillage the European prospect pool. Draft Russians and Finns, Danes and Swedes. Sign some young KHL overage talent if possible.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
Can we draft Czechs and Hungarians too? How about Germans? No German love? We need a Swiss Superman.

I trust the Rangers to get the best player available regardless of where he comes from.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Can we draft Czechs and Hungarians too? How about Germans? No German love? We need a Swiss Superman.

I trust the Rangers to get the best player available regardless of where he comes from.

Nejezchleb is Czech, Kovacs is of Hungarian decent and Diaz is our Swiss Superman. If only we claimed Ehrhoff, we'd have a German player too

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
The 2014 Draft was a weak one depth-wise, so in retrospect, Gorton and Clark were correct in grabbing two goalies early. You can't even argue against taking Iverson or Nanne or Walcott or Mantha because it seems as if only a handful of Europeans and one or two CHL'ers drafted after the 2nd round are worth a ****.

Granted, the Nejelzcheb/Walcott picks were brutal. So the garbage we in in Hartford has a lot to do with striking out from a depth standpoint.

This draft needs to be BPA all the way but late-1998 birthdays. No more reaches and late bloomers.

I would pillage the European prospect pool. Draft Russians and Finns, Danes and Swedes. Sign some young KHL overage talent if possible.

Still getting two potential starting goalies in one draft is a win in my book.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Maybe. He hasn't progressed at all since being drafted, either statistically or in terms of his on-ice ability. He's just a bigger Shane McColgan. I'm reluctant to write off any prospect, but three years of stagnation doesn't bode well for a guy's chances of making the NHL.

The Rangers spent ELC's on Kantor,MSC and Nicholls. ELC material. Iverson is a big body. The Rangers need more size. Iverson gives them that.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The Rangers spent ELC's on Kantor,MSC and Nicholls. ELC material. Iverson is a big body. The Rangers need more size. Iverson gives them that.

He would give the Rangers more size if he was capable of making an NHL roster. He's no different than the three guys you listed in that he's extremely unlikely to have what it takes to make the NHL. I think you can probably get him on an AHL deal. I can't see other teams lining up to give him an ELC.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
He would give the Rangers more size if he was capable of making an NHL roster. He's no different than the three guys you listed in that he's extremely unlikely to have what it takes to make the NHL. I think you can probably get him on an AHL deal. I can't see other teams lining up to give him an ELC.

who makes it, and who doesn't, is so unpredictable
player development isn't always a straight line

Iverson is a 20 year old, with size, who's put in 4 years as a WHL regular,
and who Gordie's team saw enough in to pick in 3d round

i respect everyone's right to their opinions, but I don't think we can really know this yet: "he's extremely unlikely to have what it takes to make the NHL"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad