2015-16 AHL affiliate - San Diego Gulls: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
It's the playoffs - anything can happen. Texas finished #3 in the Pacific, behind the Gulls, but won the head-to-head season series against the Gulls 5-1, so coming home with three games to play isn't a guarantee of advancing. Assuming they do win two of three at home, the next round is against Ontario, who were WAY in front in the regular-season standings, but the Gulls went 8-4 against them in the head-to-head, so who knows how the playoffs will work out, especially with all the Kings' players and all the Ducks' players eligible to be sent down (as well as all the ATOs on both squads).

Any team that gets out of the Pacific will likely have a relatively unknown opponent to face in the Conference finals, given the 60 of 68 games that were played in-division, and should the Pacific representative reach the CC Final, they're almost guaranteed to have an opponent they've never seen before.

I would say there is "a visible path to the Cup", personally, but wouldn't go so far as to say "a good chance". The biggest factor, to me, is which Gulls team shows up for the majority of games -- they can be bafflingly inconsistent from game to game.

Sadly, that's Ducks DNA.

ChaseANA

Apr 12, 2015
Larsson, Pettersson, and Sörensen all with the Gulls now. Will they play? :)

Norduck

youllneverquackalone
Feb 9, 2015
CA
Larsson, Pettersson, and Sörensen all with the Gulls now. Will they play? :)

I would be surprised to see any of them in the line-up tonight, Eakins will probably want them in some practices first. But might see Sörensen sometime this series, could see any or all if they impress in practice get in if the Gulls advance to the second round. Still not optimistic about their chances, though getting Wags and Theo back is a good boost.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Theodore, Wagner, and Larsson taking warm-ups.

Larsson sporting #43

You beat me to it - I was just about to post nearly this same thing. I'm six rows behind the home penalty box. It feels like forever since the regular season finale! Lots of people appearing to be new to the VVCC wearing their Ducks gear so far...

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
I'll be watching this game. Hopefully Larsson plays.

Edit ~ Larsson and Sorensen were just announced as scratches, among many others.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
First period thoughts:

- Theodore is dominant so far
- Welinski still reminds me of Wisniewski
- Cooper is probably our most physical defenseman
- Sgarbossa is a great puck-handler
- Noesen is going to the net... still want to see more form him
- Quiet period from both Kossila and Kase
- Ritchie is finishing every check and has had some good looks/shots
- Laganiere is fumbling the puck a lot... clearly nervous
- Cramarossa is a crafty player

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
1-0 at the break. I'm MUCH happier with how the offense has looked tonight than I have been in a while, even when the team was winning - nice passing and setup plays, and some really clear TEAM work in addition to the Theodore freelance rushes that alcolol mentioned. Montour's goal was a beautiful one timer cannon on the PP. Texas has had opportunities, and a combination of Doby's skill and outright luck has kept them off the board. Already some scrums after the whistles - there could be some truly bad blood if any of these games become runways in either direction.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
This team definitely has the talent to go far in the Calder Cup Playoffs. Khudobin in goal is huge for them, and having Shea back gives even more freedom to Montour to play his game.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
WOW! Sexy goal from Sgarbossa. Literally walked through the defense

It was DAMN sexy indeed! He faked not just the Stars' d-men out of their jocks, but Campbell still doesn't know where the shot came from. I believe Khudobin got an assist on that one.

Ritchie's goal was off a great cross-pass setup from Mueller. The Gulls dominated possession in the period, outshooting the T-Stars 21-8 in the period. That's right, 21 SOG in a single period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad