2014 Training Camp

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

D Brendan Ellis is congratulated on first pro contract. Not clear if NHL or AHL, so I've put it here.

Edit: appears to be NHL deal. (He is listed on early rookie roster "as of 9/2". But Sharks have not announced.)

Last edited:

sr228

Sep 16, 2007

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Kelowna Rockets @Kelowna_Rockets
Rockets vet Rourke Chartier on way back from San Jose Sharks camp tomorrow in advance of Saturday season opener #yup #letsgo #3moresleeps

Camp head count is shrinking by the day. This is actually a smart move in my opinion, I think they should do the same with Lebanc, Sadowy and Schoenborn as well.

Also, Yonkman (who LS mentioned a little while back) won't be a PTO for the Sharks, he's been invited to Calgary's main camp.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
With training camp finally getting under way there are two questions I'm hoping get answered tomorrow...

First, I've heard that one or two players (not Sheppard or Torres) are nursing injuries so I'm curious to see if they'll be involved in the on ice sessions tomorrow.

Second, whether or not one of Braun or Demers, or possibly Burns, are moved to LD.

I have quite a few other questions but I doubt those get answered for another 2 weeks.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
First, I've heard that one or two players (not Sheppard or Torres) are nursing injuries so I'm curious to see if they'll be involved in the on ice sessions tomorrow.

Think I know one of those as I haven't seen him skate this week. May have a good idea of the other. And there's a third that skipped a few skating sessions. So I've got three veteran candidates for that.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Think I know one of those as I haven't seen him skate this week. May have a good idea of the other. And there's a third that skipped a few skating sessions. So I've got three veteran candidates for that.

And their names are...??

Don't withhold information!! :sarcasm:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
There were 15 forwards and 5 defense on the ice for rookie skating drills yesterday.

(Plus one player in orange. And one guy was sporting full cage.)

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
There were 15 forwards and 5 defense on the ice for rookie skating drills yesterday.

(Plus one player in orange. And one guy was sporting full cage.)

Ya, 9 or 10 more players have been "released".

Having around 52-54 (or less since 2 are already injured) players for camp is a much more reasonable number.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Ya, 9 or 10 more players have been "released".

Having around 52-54 (or less since 2 are already injured) players for camp is a much more reasonable number.

@PollakOnSharks · 6m
@PollakOnSharks Math update: Eleven players being trimmed from #SJSharks roster. Leaves 50 (plus Torres, who still faces knee surgery).

Looks like 50.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Thanks for posting this Kirby. Great interview.
I am really pulling for this kid. No offense to Irwin or Hannan.

I haven't heard much about him in camp so far. Has anyone seen him skate??

I've seen him play several times but unless he (or someone else) is moved to their off side he isn't competing with Irwin or Hannan for a roster spot.

If Mueller or KA don't stick I'd guess that Fedun might have the inside track on the #7 spot.

dwood16

Sep 28, 2009
L.A.
spencerjacob.bandcamp.com
I've seen him play several times but unless he (or someone else) is moved to their off side he isn't competing with Irwin or Hannan for a roster spot.

If Mueller or KA don't stick I'd guess that Fedun might have the inside track on the #7 spot.

Well shouldn't the Sharks go ahead and play him on his off side and see what he's capable of there? I know it's not an easy transition for some guys but Fedun seems like a good puck handler, skater and smart guy. Not sure if he's played on his off side previously either.

Doesn't Burns play on his off side?

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Well shouldn't the Sharks go ahead and play him on his off side and see what he's capable of there? I know it's not an easy transition for some guys but Fedun seems like a good puck handler, skater and smart guy. Not sure if he's played on his off side previously either.

Doesn't Burns play on his off side?

The Sharks coaching staff has been fairly adamant about playing right handed D on the right and left handed D on the left at evens.

Stuart has been the only d-man that spent any kind of significant time on both sides.

I'm really, really, REALLY hoping that they're aware of how awful the LD is and get away from that but I won't believe it until I see it.

dwood16

Sep 28, 2009
L.A.
The Sharks coaching staff has been fairly adamant about playing right handed D on the right and left handed D on the left at evens.

Stuart has been the only d-man that spent any kind of significant time on both sides.

I'm really, really, REALLY hoping that they're aware of how awful the LD is and get away from that but I won't believe it until I see it.

I seem to remember a time when the Sharks had NO right handed d-men. Then came along Tom Preissing and some wins, lol.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
brodiebrazilCSN 1:37pm via TweetDeck
Chirps from #SJSharks camp...

@Vlasic44 to me: "I don't know how you have 14,000 tweets"

dwood16

Sep 28, 2009
L.A.

As long as I've been watching hockey I still am unsure of the differences from playing on the two sides.

It seems like the off side is good for offense and one timers but makes it harder on keeping the puck in the offensive zone. Probably harder to play defense and get pucks out on defense too?

Am I close?

Bowie22

blow it up
Jul 20, 2012
Santa Clara, CA
Kevin Kurz ‏@KKurzCSN 1m
Here is the breakdown of the two groups for training camp #SJSharks

Bx22CKOCEAAxbof.jpg

Bowie22

blow it up
Jul 20, 2012
Santa Clara, CA
Hopefully we see Goldobin with Hertl and Thornton. :D

edit: nvm Scott is in Thornton's group. inb4 Hertl-Scott-Thornton. John Scott best center NHL15.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad