2014 Training Camp Thread

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
How did Agostino look? I know he was sent down last week. Just curious as to how he looked against his peers...

I think he looked pretty good. To me the biggest issue I see is that he needs quite a bit more muscle. I think he's far to lanky for the type of game he plays. But he's a fun player to watch, he skates hard and has good speed. His relentless puck pressure often results in turnovers, and several times his line generated some offensive chances. I think if he can about gain 15 lbs over the next 2 years, he should be a staple on the 3rd line wing. He plays like Callahan, but doesn't have that ceiling, I think a Glencross type of career is realistic for him. He should have a good year in Adirondack.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'd wait at least till the mid point this season before writing him off. He did alright in the AHL last year as a rookie. But yeah, I wouldn't really have high hopes for either (Agostino/Hanowski)... but then one never knows.
People write off guys they know nothing about and **** all over players that are traded for fan favorites.

Somehow they expect a player (Hanowski) that is being shaped into a bottom 6 checking forward to come in and make an impact when he barely sees the ice. He played one pre-season game, was mostly invisible but made no mistakes but because he was cut he was "disappointing". Honowski will continue his transformation into a checking forward this season and probably see middle 6 time with the ADK Flames.

Agostino was excellent in camp, was very good in the pre-season contests he saw. He worked very hard, created offensive opportunities and was good defensively. When he was cut it was actually a surprise. Agostino will likely be in the top 6, possible shifted to RW. He is going to be a fan favorite in ADK.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Means he's healthy, though, so that's why it's news. :handclap:
frabz-GOOD-NEWS-EVERYONE-f0f2f0.jpg

fallsviewafro*

People write off guys they know nothing about and **** all over players that are traded for fan favorites.

Somehow they expect a player (Hanowski) that is being shaped into a bottom 6 checking forward to come in and make an impact when he barely sees the ice. He played one pre-season game, was mostly invisible but made no mistakes but because he was cut he was "disappointing". Honowski will continue his transformation into a checking forward this season and probably see middle 6 time with the ADK Flames.

Agostino was excellent in camp, was very good in the pre-season contests he saw. He worked very hard, created offensive opportunities and was good defensively. When he was cut it was actually a surprise. Agostino will likely be in the top 6, possible shifted to RW. He is going to be a fan favorite in ADK.

I've written Hanowski off precisely because he only got one preseason game; in other words, management saw enough and wanted to give the time to other kids.

It has nothing to do with me judging him more critically than his peers because he was part of an underwhelming return for Iggy and everything to do with the fact that his upside isn't anything special. There are no shortage of guys that can do what he does... Moreover management went out and signed guys like Wolf/BvB after Hanowski was already in the org.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I've written Hanowski off precisely because he only got one preseason game; in other words, management saw enough and wanted to give the time to other kids.

It has nothing to do with me judging him more critically than his peers because he was part of an underwhelming return for Iggy and everything to do with the fact that his upside isn't anything special. There are no shortage of guys that can do what he does... Moreover management went out and signed guys like Wolf/BvB after Hanowski was already in the org.
Writing someone off because of limited action has to be one of the most ridiculous things I have heard.

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
http://www.blick.ch/sport/eishockey...artley-hat-sven-fertig-gemacht-id3178942.html

Here is an interesting article with quotes of Sven's father in the Swiss press. Says the following:

- His dad was talking to Sven on Sunday, Sven is disappointed and doesn't know what he did wrong. He was working very hard to prove he belongs. (The newspaper states that Hartley told him last year his effort level is not enough - not sure if that actually has been told or made up by the newspaper).

- After Sven got injured at the WC in spring (broken rib, out for 6 weeks), Sven travelled earlier to Calgary to train for 9 weeks with Flames fitness coach Ryan van Asten. He put on an extra 9 pounds of muscle and was top 10 in fitness tests when the camp started (they write top 10 out of 60 guys, not sure if that is an accurate number).

now it gets interesting:
- Sven's Agent Andy Rufener sais the following: He thinks Sven deserved to be on the roster. He saw every preseason game and there is really no discussion about that. He thinks Hartley has a problem with Sven.
(Remember this is the same agent that Nino Niederreiter has and that publicly asked for a trade away from the Islanders).

- Sven's dad agrees and says that Hartley likes physically strong players while Sven is obviously rather technically strong and was put into a straitjacket last year, was not allowed to play his game anymore and completely got lost and lost confidence.

- The dad says he doesn't know what the Flames plans with Sven are and in his (the dad's!) opinion a trade might be best for everyone.

- Also says that various teams were interested in making a trade for Sven but the Flames said no.

Now these are all quotes from either Sven's dad or his agent. Also keep in mind that this newspaper is really looking for clicks and make sure their wording goes in a spectacular direction.
What bothers me is that his agent, similar to what he did with Nino, goes to the press and whines about it, this should not be the way things are done.

I really hope Sven still works out in Calgary, I think he is a great guy and personality. I also don't think he has an attitude problem, he just wants to play in the NHL and live his dream. He might be impatient, but from what has been told on here he did work on his weaknesses as asked and is just disappointed at the moment. Let's see how he starts into the AHL season. And please don't flame away on him, these were not his personal quotes.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
http://www.blick.ch/sport/eishockey...artley-hat-sven-fertig-gemacht-id3178942.html

Here is an interesting article with quotes of Sven's father in the Swiss press. Says the following:

- His dad was talking to Sven on Sunday, Sven is disappointed and doesn't know what he did wrong. He was working very hard to prove he belongs. (The newspaper states that Hartley told him last year his effort level is not enough - not sure if that actually has been told or made up by the newspaper).

- After Sven got injured at the WC in spring (broken rib, out for 6 weeks), Sven travelled earlier to Calgary to train for 9 weeks with Flames fitness coach Ryan van Asten. He put on an extra 9 pounds of muscle and was top 10 in fitness tests when the camp started (they write top 10 out of 60 guys, not sure if that is an accurate number).

now it gets interesting:
- Sven's Agent Andy Rufener sais the following: He thinks Sven deserved to be on the roster. He saw every preseason game and there is really no discussion about that. He thinks Hartley has a problem with Sven.
(Remember this is the same agent that Nino Niederreiter has and that publicly asked for a trade away from the Islanders).

- Sven's dad agrees and says that Hartley likes physically strong players while Sven is obviously rather technically strong and was put into a straitjacket last year, was not allowed to play his game anymore and completely got lost and lost confidence.

- The dad says he doesn't know what the Flames plans with Sven are and in his (the dad's!) opinion a trade might be best for everyone.

- Also says that various teams were interested in making a trade for Sven but the Flames said no.

Now these are all quotes from either Sven's dad or his agent. Also keep in mind that this newspaper is really looking for clicks and make sure their wording goes in a spectacular direction.
What bothers me is that his agent, similar to what he did with Nino, goes to the press and whines about it, this should not be the way things are done.

I really hope Sven still works out in Calgary, I think he is a great guy and personality. I also don't think he has an attitude problem, he just wants to play in the NHL and live his dream. He might be impatient, but from what has been told on here he did work on his weaknesses as asked and is just disappointed at the moment. Let's see how he starts into the AHL season. And please don't flame away on him, these were not his personal quotes.
He had to beat out Gaudreau for the spot and he lost. He had a solid training camp but by no means deserved a roster spot from it. He could use at least a half year in the AHL, if he can consistently play like he does every few periods he will be an NHLer. But he can't right now and doesn't deserve to be an NHLer.

He came back strong after an awful season but it's a long process for a lot of people and management owes him nothing.

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
I feel like on a different team Sven would have made it. At this point I think a trade IS best for everyone before it starts to look like Calgary is full of shut when it comes to their own motto. I'm sure we could get a good D prospect for him. Don't want to trade Sven, but management is kind of forcing it.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
Thanks for the post Shawn Hiens 44. I don't often follow Swiss sports pages.

I'm sure that Sven is absolutely ecstatic that his dad is getting involved in this. Time for Sven, his agent and his Dad to shut up and let him talk by his play on the ice. Other prospects are starting to pass him. His training camp was average at best.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
He made a lot of great passes but none of them were capitalized on. I almost wonder if he would have made the team if some of them would have went in.

I really don't want to see the guy get traded, but I feel like he would thrive on a different team. I'm torn on the issue.

If he does go I just hope we get good value for him.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Interesting but doubt much comes of it. Niederreiter had a bit more pedigree as a former 5th overall draft pick and his agent could exploit that. And a decent trade will be hard to come by as Baertschi's value isn't exactly sky high.

But regardless, on most teams, especially rebuilding ones, guys like Baertschi and even Ferland would have made the NHL roster, or at least got some games to start the season. On the Flames though? They'll both make the team next season (assuming they're not traded) not because of improvement or anything like that, but because they'll both be waiver eligible and the organization won't risk losing them for nothing.

Of course, now that Baertschi has been sent down there's the whole revisionist history of him having a subpar camp.

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
Thanks for the post Shawn Hiens 44. I don't often follow Swiss sports pages.

I'm sure that Sven is absolutely ecstatic that his dad is getting involved in this. Time for Sven, his agent and his Dad to shut up and let him talk by his play on the ice. Other prospects are starting to pass him. His training camp was average at best.

You are welcome, its a pleasure to contribute for once!

I agree, Sven will not be happy about this, wont help him with the Flames organization.

Time to light the AHL up!

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
You are welcome, its a pleasure to contribute for once!

I agree, Sven will not be happy about this, wont help him with the Flames organization.

Time to light the AHL up!

Thanks for the contribution.

As much as I am sure the newspaper jazzed this up to some extent, where there is smoke there is fire.

I would assume there is growing tension between his camp and management.

Also, how can people say he had a bad, awful or even just average camp when he was one of the last cuts from the team? That doesn't make any sense. Seems like some revisionist history to me.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The part that bugs me is the part where Sven doesn't know what he did wrong. He had a decent camp and shouldn't think of it like that, he needs to look at what others (ie. Gaudreau) did right.

The Hartley not liking him because he is not physically strong part is such a load of crap, if that was the case Gaudreau wouldn't be there either.

If this quotes from his dad are true no wonder he is coming off like a Swiss Miss rather than a future star. Kid needs to take a good hard look in the mirror because the 3 players the Flames drafted after him are all close to surpassing him in their value to the organization.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Also, how can people say he had a bad, awful or even just average camp when he was one of the last cuts from the team? That doesn't make any sense. Seems like some revisionist history to me.
Being a final cut doesn't always mean that much, Kanzig was one of the final cuts last year for no other reason than they thought it was good for his development.

You also have to consider that Jones, Backlund & Raymond all were injured until the final game of the pre-season, so they needed to hold onto a couple extra bodies.

fallsviewafro*

Writing someone off because of limited action has to be one of the most ridiculous things I have heard.

Management didn't give him the time of day and signed a bunch of guys who fill the same role... Pretty telling if you ask me. Past that, Hanowski has never had a particularly bright upside so I'm not sure why your knickers are in a knot over this.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Management didn't give him the time of day and signed a bunch of guys who fill the same role... Pretty telling if you ask me. Past that, Hanowski has never had a particularly bright upside so I'm not sure why your knickers are in a knot over this.
Or maybe they already know what they have in him between having a full season in the AHL and some NHL time. No one thinks he's ready to be an NHL player right now because his game is still transforming. He will likely spend another full season in the AHL and be apart of their leadership core, maybe even their captain.

Saying your point is highly flawed is not "having my knickers in a knot", I am not even sure why you figured I was even the slightest bit bothered.

Richi

Oct 20, 2013

Well, it is a Blick article, so the quotes may be written down a lot more provocative than they were originally intended...

And Rufener is an idiot, look at how well things went with Nino. Granted he's a decent player for the Wild now, but with more development (also the Islanders's fault) and no controversy (his nearby refusal to play in the AHL/a half year of (intentional?) bad play in the AHL) he could be two years ahead and already be a top-line winger and not a third-liner. As it is now it remains doubtful that he'll ever reach that level.

Baertschi should just shut up and continue to work hard and he'll get his chance. And I think that's what he'll do.
One additional thing he should to do is to get his father to not interfere and fire Rufener.

fallsviewafro*

Or maybe they already know what they have in him between having a full season in the AHL and some NHL time. No one thinks he's ready to be an NHL player right now because his game is still transforming. He will likely spend another full season in the AHL and be apart of their leadership core, maybe even their captain.

Saying your point is highly flawed is not "having my knickers in a knot", I am not even sure why you figured I was even the slightest bit bothered.

Hmmm...

Somehow they expect a player (Hanowski) that is being shaped into a bottom 6 checking forward to come in and make an impact when he barely sees the ice. He played one pre-season game, was mostly invisible but made no mistakes but because he was cut he was "disappointing".

Between you implying that I don't know anything and saying I only think he's a writeoff because he was part of the Iggy return - both baseless accusations - you probably shouldn't be surprised when people call you out for getting rustled over it.

Pretty sad that you call me ridiculous and that I know nothing simply because I dared call a career bottom 6 guy a writeoff after management brought in several players of his type after he had been in our org for more than a year. Not getting a decent look in the preseason - his second camp with the team - tells me all I need to know.

Here's an idea: how about you don't demean people's opinions without cause, and I won't tell you you've got your knickers in a knot. Deal?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad