2014 Training Camp Thread

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I can't believe the uproar this has caused, Sven would not be able to crack hardly any other NHL team in the league, he's not ready. I don't understand why people think he deserves a spot...

- he had a so-so training camp, basically did nothing stat wise despite many opportunities

- he didn't have a great year in the AHL last year

- until he actually dominates the AHL, he has more to learn down there

- there aren't enough minutes for him in the NHL right now

- it's not he is Calder eligible so it doesn't matter when he shows up this year

Nyquist is a perfect example of why it's okay to wait for a prospect. I don't see a player ready for the NHL and mentally if he's "sad and confused", then he's not mentally prepared to be an NHL player yet either. He needs to change his attitude or else I could care less if he makes it or not.
excellent post Trae

lucaseider

Apr 15, 2006
mactown
He wasn't exactly stapled to the bench for the entire pre-season. Was pretty easy to see what he was (and especially wasn't) capable of.

That said, I probably shouldn't be surprised at the reactions from everyone. Saw similar reactions last season too.

Give me a break, i thought he was fine the whole preseason. Maybe we should hold everyone to the same standard and others who arent great defensively (like godreau and monahan) should be playing in adironack too.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Give me a break, i thought he was fine the whole preseason. Maybe we should hold everyone to the same standard and others who arent great defensively (like godreau and monahan) should be playing in adironack too.

Monahan's a two-way forward. His defensive game is one of his main strengths. Gaudreau is a relentless back-checker with excellent stick skills and he reads the play well in the defensive zone. But I would say Sven has caught up a long way. Seems like he is being evaluated from a purely statistical standpoint, though. If he'd put that backhander into the roof of the net in the Jets' game rather than into the glass, maybe we're having a different conversation right now.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Monahan's a two-way forward. His defensive game is one of his main strengths. Gaudreau is a relentless back-checker with excellent stick skills and he reads the play well in the defensive zone. But I would say Sven has caught up a long way. Seems like he is being evaluated from a purely statistical standpoint, though. If he'd put that backhander into the roof of the net in the Jets' game rather than into the glass, maybe we're having a different conversation right now.

Mhm. I am not seeing the logic in the argument that he was defensively poor this time around. I thought he has improved a lot in that area as well as looking much stronger on the puck.

lucaseider

Apr 15, 2006
mactown

i really dont find either of their defensive games that much better than sven. Dont find anything wrong with what he said either, just said he was disappointed, i would be more upset if he wasnt disappointed.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I can't believe the uproar this has caused, Sven would not be able to crack hardly any other NHL team in the league, he's not ready. I don't understand why people think he deserves a spot...

- he had a so-so training camp, basically did nothing stat wise despite many opportunities

- he didn't have a great year in the AHL last year

- until he actually dominates the AHL, he has more to learn down there

- there aren't enough minutes for him in the NHL right now

- it's not he is Calder eligible so it doesn't matter when he shows up this year

Nyquist is a perfect example of why it's okay to wait for a prospect. I don't see a player ready for the NHL and mentally if he's "sad and confused", then he's not mentally prepared to be an NHL player yet either. He needs to change his attitude or else I could care less if he makes it or not.

But the important thing is that you do care to some degree. :D

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Good question. I'm thinking Gio and Brodie, then Russell and Wideman. Could see Gaudreau, Monahan, Hudler as the top unit. Glencross-Colborne-Raymond the 2nd.
A healthy Wideman is more valuable to our PP than Russell or Brodie, he has a bomb that no one else on the team has and gives us 1 more weapon.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
In preseason, it's been Wideman and Giordano on the top unit.

On an unrelated note, this is the first time since his draft year that Sven hasn't made the team out of camp, so that probably plays into his reaction.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
You know after taking everything in some more, I really think that Sven did not make the team because he did not contribute much offensively. I thought he was just fine defensively, and while I think he looked more than solid in the offensive zone and created some nice plays, the fact remains he did not produce much statistically. If he would of scored 6-8 points this preseason and played defensively the way he did, I don't think management could have left him off the roster.

If he goes to Adi, continues to play well defensively, and dominates offensively as the team's top scorer, he will be back before we know it, maybe even before the end of the month.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Pat Steinberg ‏@Fan960Steinberg 4h4 hours ago
#Flames lines at practice: Hudler-Monahan-Glencross; Raymond-Backlund-Colborne; Byron-Stajan-Setoguchi; Bollig-Bouma-McGrattan

Interesting. Gaudreau had the flu today, so wasn't practicing, but it looks like the extras left out were David Jones and Markus Granlund (who I expect will get sent down now that he's no longer injured). I'm guessing Gaudreau slots in for Byron or Setoguchi, and those lines get shuffled a little bit.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Pat Steinberg ‏@Fan960Steinberg 4h4 hours ago
#Flames lines at practice: Hudler-Monahan-Glencross; Raymond-Backlund-Colborne; Byron-Stajan-Setoguchi; Bollig-Bouma-McGrattan

Interesting. Gaudreau had the flu today, so wasn't practicing, but it looks like the extras left out were David Jones and Markus Granlund (who I expect will get sent down now that he's no longer injured). I'm guessing Gaudreau slots in for Byron or Setoguchi, and those lines get shuffled a little bit.

Hmm thats very interdesting. Is Jones injured as well?

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Baertschi needs to get his **** together and understand that it's a matter of development, not respect. He has a lot more to learn in the A, and if he can suck it up and play well, he will. If he doesn't, his time here is running out.

Completely agree with AF on this one.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Baertschi needs to get his **** together and understand that it's a matter of development, not respect. He has a lot more to learn in the A, and if he can suck it up and play well, he will. If he doesn't, his time here is running out.

Completely agree with AF on this one.

That said, it's not just Baertschi's loss if he doesn't develop. It's the team's loss too. Part of management is catering to how your players respond to criticism, and understanding the best way to get through to them. Baertschi's response made it seem like there was a break-down in communication. I find it pretty weird that the coaches and management would just cut him without having prepared him for that beforehand.

As much as they can criticize his attitude in that response, now it's their problem.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
How did Agostino look? I know he was sent down last week. Just curious as to how he looked against his peers...

fallsviewafro*

How did Agostino look? I know he was sent down last week. Just curious as to how he looked against his peers...

Also interesting to know given that Hanowski is essentially a writeoff at this point, so the Iggy return is looking Feaster-er and Feaster-er every year.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
You know after taking everything in some more, I really think that Sven did not make the team because he did not contribute much offensively. I thought he was just fine defensively, and while I think he looked more than solid in the offensive zone and created some nice plays, the fact remains he did not produce much statistically. If he would of scored 6-8 points this preseason and played defensively the way he did, I don't think management could have left him off the roster.

If he goes to Adi, continues to play well defensively, and dominates offensively as the team's top scorer, he will be back before we know it, maybe even before the end of the month.

Hence the confusion.

Last year, the message was "don't worry about offense, just work on defense and your play without the puck."

After doing that, the message this year "eh, great hustle but we want more offense. Oh, and even though we're rebuilding, we're still going to ice a veteran heavy roster."

SwissLeaf

Feb 6, 2012
@diaz_raphael_61 confirms one-year-deal with @NHLFlames.

According to Nicolas Berger (beatwriter of Diaz' Swiss club, EV Zug)

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Also interesting to know given that Hanowski is essentially a writeoff at this point, so the Iggy return is looking Feaster-er and Feaster-er every year.

I'd wait at least till the mid point this season before writing him off. He did alright in the AHL last year as a rookie. But yeah, I wouldn't really have high hopes for either (Agostino/Hanowski)... but then one never knows.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Calgary Flames ‏@NHLFlames 4m4 minutes ago
The #Flames have assigned defenceman Tyler Wotherspoon to the @AHLFlames.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad