2014 Training Camp Thread

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Gaudreau doesn't fall into the "9 game" group. He signed an NHL contract, not an entry level.

Oh, **** me, duh. Well, regardless, once Raymond is healthy, Gaudreau will probably be sent down, yes? Basically he's just the first callup, the first callup just happens to have occurred at the start of the season.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Additionally, there's not really room for him on the NHL roster permanently, anyways. Once Raymond is healthy, Gaudreau will probably be sent down, too. I don't see why the Sven camp is so upset. It's a matter of one player getting nine games over the other.

1) Raymond is already healthy. Both Gaudreau and Raymond are in the lineup.

EDIT: No need to pile on regarding 9 games.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
1) Raymond is already healthy. Both Gaudreau and Raymond are in the lineup.
2) Johnny Gaudreau has no junior team to be sent down to. His contract is unable to slide a year no matter what. There is no concept of 9 games with Johnny.
3) Sven has already played 9 games in the NHL. His contract is not able to slide anymore. There is no concept of 9 games with Sven.

I thought Raymond was on IR - am I thinking of someone else? Or did he just get back to game shape?

I addressed the nine-game matter in my previous post, I forgot that JG wasn't on an entry level and Sven is naturally not going to have to be sent back to junior, which I didn't think of, either. I guess what I really meant, to clarify, is that if Raymond is on IR (which it appears he's not) it's a matter of Gaudreau simply getting first callup rather than Sven, but that both will be in the AHL for most of the season because the team is stocked with veterans.

However, if Raymond really isn't on IR, then I understand a bit more where Sven is coming from, although his first goal of course should be to play strong hockey at any level.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
Oh, **** me, duh. Well, regardless, once Raymond is healthy, Gaudreau will probably be sent down, yes? Basically he's just the first callup, the first callup just happens to have occurred at the start of the season.
I don't know about that. He got his low number 13 today. Of course, if he plays really poorly, he'll be demoted, but I don't really see that right now.

Flamesarmstrong22

May 2, 2012
Toronto
I don't know about that. He got his low number 13 today. Of course, if he plays really poorly, he'll be demoted, but I don't really see that right now.

This… obviously a # doesn't mean much but I think in this situation with the flames giving Johnny his #13 today that it signals he may be up with the big club for a while

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA

Where though would there be space for him in the lineup? If we are fully healthy:

Glencross - Backlund - Hudler
Raymond - Monahan - Setoguchi
Byron - Stajan - Colborne
Bollig - Bouma - McGrattan
Jones

or some permutation of that

Doesn't really look like there's space for him in that lineup, unless we send a UFA signing down (which the team has basically already made clear isn't happening), or if we send Byron down and shuffle the remaining LWs, which I think is a dumb move considering Byron is at a key place in his development.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Where though would there be space for him in the lineup? If we are fully healthy:

Glencross - Backlund - Hudler
Raymond - Monahan - Setoguchi
Byron - Stajan - Colborne
Bollig - Bouma - McGrattan
Jones

or some permutation of that

Doesn't really look like there's space for him in that lineup, unless we send a UFA signing down (which the team has basically already made clear isn't happening), or if we send Byron down and shuffle the remaining LWs, which I think is a dumb move considering Byron is at a key place in his development.

I think their plan is to rotate Gaudreau, Jones, Setoguchi and Byron in and out of the lineup depending who's playing well (while moving others guys around in the lineup to account for the difference in positions)

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
I think their plan is to rotate Gaudreau, Jones, Setoguchi and Byron in and out of the lineup depending who's playing well (while moving others guys around in the lineup to account for the difference in positions)

I feel like that's basically a recipe for disaster. Either give Gaudreau a full-time spot or let him play top six in Adirondack. Just give Byron a roster spot period. We should never have signed Setoguchi or Raymond.[mod]

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I feel like that's basically a recipe for disaster. Either give Gaudreau a full-time spot or let him play top six in Adirondack. Just give Byron a roster spot period. We should never have signed Setoguchi or Raymond.[mod]

The Raymond signing was necessary. You can't go into a season with holes in your top 6 and no proven options in case the rookies don't work out.

And the Setoguchi signing is slightly irrelevant. He isn't bumping anyone out of a roster spot as it stands right this minute. He's in the press box for the opener. He's an option if the other options fail. He's got a low enough cap hit that management won't blink about sending him down if necessary, and he was obtained for nothing, so there is no fear of him being claimed if that happens. He's your typical no risk, potential reward signing.

Last edited:
May 27, 2012
Earth

The Raymond signing was a good one.

Edit: what Anglesmith said really.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
The Raymond signing was necessary. You can't go into a season with holes in your top 6 and no proven options in case the rookies don't work out.

And the Setoguchi signing is slightly irrelevant. He isn't bumping anyone out of a roster spot as it stands right this minute. He's in the press box for the opener. He's an option if the other options fail. He's got a low enough cap hit that management won't blink about sending him down if necessary, and he was obtained for nothing, so there is no fear of him being claimed if that happens. He's your typical no risk, potential reward signing.

I see where you're coming from, I suppose, although I think management would certainly think twice before sending Seto down - given that they could've done it already, moved Raymond to the right side and given Gaudreau a permanent roster spot on the second line.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I see where you're coming from, I suppose, although I think management would certainly think twice before sending Seto down - given that they could've done it already, moved Raymond to the right side and given Gaudreau a permanent roster spot on the second line.

Seto isn't in the lineup. Sending him down would therefore make no difference to the lineup.

Aug 21, 2014
Guy Flaming @TPS_Guy
According to @ttneilhodge secs ago on TPS, the #Oilers beat the #Flames by one day with their camp invitation to Vlad Tkachev. @DuckMillard

@ttneilhodge is Neil Hodge who covers the QMJHL for the Montcton Times & Transcript

Looks like the Flames also invited Vladimir Tkachev but where a day late.

From Sureloss on CP.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
I'm for one glad we tried to take a chance on Tkachev. Like our very own JG, he's tiny but tremendously skilled. In fact, he's pretty much a Russian clone of Johnny.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
Treliving's gotta up his speed game. But we wouldn't be able to sign the bro anyways, so there is that.

Aug 3, 2010
I'm for one glad we tried to take a chance on Tkachev. Like our very own JG, he's tiny but tremendously skilled. In fact, he's pretty much a Russian clone of Johnny.

Except that the team couldn't own his rights via signing because he's a draft-eligible only player. So why showcase a player when you can't own the contract?

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
So Burliving and co. didn't know Tkachev couldn't be signed or they didn't care? Not exactly encouraging info there.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
Except that the team couldn't own his rights via signing because he's a draft-eligible only player. So why showcase a player when you can't own the contract?

They didn't have to showcase him by letting him play in games. If they knew he's still draft-eligible (though debatable), I'm sure they invited him just to get a better look at him closely. That's exactly why camp invites happen.

Aug 3, 2010
They didn't have to showcase him by letting him play in games. If they knew he's still draft-eligible (though debatable), I'm sure they invited him just to get a better look at him closely. That's exactly why camp invites happen.

How many times do players get signed on a PTO and aren't expected to play a single preseason game if they're fully healthy?

You're arguing rhetorical semantics. Teams don't sign players so they can make sure they have the inside track on their gym workouts. They want to know how they look in game situations.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
So Burliving and co. didn't know Tkachev couldn't be signed or they didn't care? Not exactly encouraging info there.

Were we under the impression that confusing aspects of the CBA was uncommon? ;)

This is basically the same as how there were teams lining up to sign ROR to an offer sheet, but only Calgary ended up looking bad from it. There were other teams, I'm sure, besides Calgary and Edmonton who were looking to sign Tkachev, but only Edmonton really took criticism for it in the end.

I don't believe that's really true. Teams invite players to camp if they think they can strengthen the organization. If there is no chance they give the player a contract out of it, then the player is simply taking a spot and opportunity away from someone who they can offer a contract to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad