2014 NHL Re-Draft top 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
"2014 re-draft- to be updated after each game"

An accurate time to redraft will be 2019 after they are all in the league

Yeah why even bother talking about players for at least the first five years :sarcasm: . This is HF, we're going to talk about players all the time. Of course it'll be easier to see who is better in 5 years time. Everybody knows this but for some reason people like you feel the need to keep posting it in every thread.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Yeah why even bother talking about players for at least the first five years :sarcasm: . This is HF, we're going to talk about players all the time. Of course it'll be easier to see who is better in 5 years time. Everybody knows this but for some reason people like you feel the need to keep posting it in every thread.

Its no problem to discuss the draft class, but redrafting 2 years out is pretty funny

as of today it would be

1. Draisaitl
2.Ekblad
3. Reinhart
4. Ehlers
5. Larkin
6. Nylander

Then in 20 days itll change with a couple hot streaks.

You could probaly forsure redraft 2009 class with assurance. But even the 2010 class is still up in the air. Redraft the class in 2011-13 and RyJO isnt top 30, redraft now and hes top 3. HF changes opinion every month or so. Drasaitl was a bust after 30 games, now hes one of the best in the class

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
The draft isn't about who makes it first, it's about who will be the best player when it's all said and done. And that is very subjective. If someone feels Nylander will be the 2nd best player from the draft, you can't really say they are wrong because you don't know.

Would you guys take Luke Schenn over Pietrangelo and Karlsson?

Because its a redraft right now. Theres a chance Nylander might be better than some of those guys but does any GM take him over guys like Larkin or Ehlers in a draft after what theyve done in the NHL so far? Someone might think Nylander may become the second best player from this draft but right now that opinion doesnt have a lot of evidence to go with it with how many are looking to be top 6 NHLers already and hes still in the AHL

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Because its a redraft right now. Theres a chance Nylander might be better than some of those guys but does any GM take him over guys like Larkin or Ehlers in a draft after what theyve done in the NHL so far? Someone might think Nylander may become the second best player from this draft but right now that opinion doesnt have a lot of evidence to go with it with how many are looking to be top 6 NHLers already and hes still in the AHL

What you're describing isn't a re-draft, it's a ranking. A re-draft is still a draft, meaning you pick the guys in the order according to how you project their NHL careers.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Its no problem to discuss the draft class, but redrafting 2 years out is pretty funny

as of today it would be

1. Draisaitl
2.Ekblad
3. Reinhart
4. Ehlers
5. Larkin
6. Nylander

You could probaly forsure redraft 2009 class with assurance. But even the 2010 class is still up in the air. Redraft the class in 2011-13 and RyJO isnt top 30, redraft now and hes top 3. HF changes opinion every month or so. Drasaitl was a bust after 30 games, now hes one of the best in the class

I'd move Draisaitl up a few spots but otherwise good list.

:sarcasm:

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

as of today it would be

1. Draisaitl
2.Ekblad
3. Reinhart
4. Ehlers
5. Larkin
6. Nylander

Indeed. It usually takes a good 5 years to judge a draft class, and even then there may be players just entering the league. '09 and '10 are for sure easier drafts to judge than one that happened a little over a year ago.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
1. Ekblad
2. Larkin
3. Ehlers
4. Reinhart
5. Draisaitl
6. Bennett
7. McCann
8. Pastrnak
9. Nylander
10. Virtanen

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Ekblad
Larkin
Draisaitl
Bennett
Ehlers
Reinhart
Pastrnak
Nylander
McCann
Virtanen

2-5 are interchangeable and I think will constantly be shifted throughout their careers, but that's my personal preference.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Watching Ehlers tonight, I am certain he is going to be one of the top 3 players from this draft class. He is a very impressive player. Relentless, hockey sense, skill, work ethic, speed, mature for his age. He's got it all to be an elite player in the NHL.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
Watching Ehlers tonight, I am certain he is going to be one of the top 3 players from this draft class. He is a very impressive player. Relentless, hockey sense, skill, work ethic, speed, mature for his age. He's got it all to be an elite player in the NHL.

hes got the unusual speed good IQ and shot which is God given but its his GRIT and determination is going to make him and all star.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
hes got the unusual speed good IQ and shot which is God given but its his GRIT and determination is going to make him and all star.

Poise beyond his years also. A 19 year old taking control on Winnipeg's PP. I liked him his draft year(had him at #7), but the way he is playing, even I am surprised. This kid is special. 8 teams passed on him. Crazy.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Poise beyond his years also. A 19 year old taking control on Winnipeg's PP. I liked him his draft year(had him at #7), but the way he is playing, even I am surprised. This kid is special. 8 teams passed on him. Crazy.

Amazed that he was able to transition so well to the NHL coming straight from that PeeWee league... :sarcasm:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Did someone say he came from a peewee league?

Well he wasnt playing against REAL MEN or anything but hey, he sure is now. :nod:

This is one of my favourite posts on this topic... A real classic.:laugh:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=106146099&postcount=537

Like I can't find a bunch of syrupy praise said by scouts for all top 20 picks in any draft in any year.

False statements? Like the Q is a lesser league... fun fact 99.9999 % of pro scouts would acknowledge that fact.

Now pretend it's a weak argument...

My original post "I'm not even a Marner fan but the Ehlers love is ridiculous, he was barely a top ten pick in a weak draft, he'd be a fringe top ten pick had he been in this year's draft. Marner puts up better numbers in a significantly more competitive league. Never understood why people don't factor in how weak the QoC is in the Q when judging talent like Drouin or Ehlers.

Ehler's scores some pretty goals but he's playing against a glorify Pee Wee league.

Take Marner and Nylander out of the conversation, Ehlers is routinely listing above Dal Colle, Strome, Provorov, Werenski, Zacha, Bennett on these boards, it's pretty funny."

It's not a Nylander vs Ehlers thing like everyone loves to shoe horn a tired debate into. Although Nylander's QoC makes for an easy argument to dismantle the Elhers hype.

Whose angry? I'm just not putting up with the lesser argument condescending the better one.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015

Yes they would because this is a re-DRAFT thread, not a ranking thread. In the draft you aim to get the best player in the long run, not the best player today.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011

He's on the second unit, but Maurice will sometimes put out the second unit first. I guess depending on how he wants matchups.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Yes they would because this is a re-DRAFT thread, not a ranking thread. In the draft you aim to get the best player in the long run, not the best player today.

Nylander was the leafs most consistent offensive threat in the pre-season games and he could easily be scoring at a ppg pace in the NHL. He's a very gifted player.

The only reason why he was stuffed into the minors is because they didn't want to burn a year on his ELC and they're trying to convert him to the centre ice position which is much easier in the minors than in the NHL.

Timashov is another player who was very impressive in pre season. Very creative. He could have easily been a first round pick.

I'd still rank Nylander ahead of Reinhart , Virtanen and McCann. Maybe even Bennett.

My list

Ekblad
Larkin
Ehlers
Draisaitl
Nylander
Bennett
Pastrnak
Reinhart
McCann
Fabbri
Virtanen
Sanheim
Ritchie

Reinhart is lower on this list because I'm not convinced his skating ability will catch up to his hockey IQ but he can still be an effective player

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
He's good but there's nothing crazy about where he was drafted. When all is said and done he could easily land in the #6-8 area in a re-draft. Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennett, Draisatl, Larkin and Nylander all have real, legit chances at being more valuable players in the long run.

FamilyGuy716

Jun 15, 2011
Amherst NY
Nylander was the leafs most consistent offensive threat in the pre-season games and he could easily be scoring at a ppg pace in the NHL. He's a very gifted player.

The only reason why he was stuffed into the minors is because they didn't want to burn a year on his ELC and they're trying to convert him to the centre ice position which is much easier in the minors than in the NHL.

Timashov is another player who was very impressive in pre season. Very creative. He could have easily been a first round pick.

I'd still rank Nylander ahead of Reinhart , Virtanen and McCann. Maybe even Bennett.

My list

Ekblad
Larkin
Ehlers
Draisaitl
Nylander
Bennett
Pastrnak
Reinhart
McCann
Fabbri
Virtanen
Sanheim
Ritchie

Reinhart is lower on this list because I'm not convinced his skating ability will catch up to his hockey IQ but he can still be an effective player

Skating is no longer an issue. It's remarkable how much better he is this year with his increased speed and strength. He's back on his development track

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto

My list

Ekblad
Larkin
Ehlers
Draisaitl
Nylander
Bennett
Pastrnak
Reinhart
McCann
Fabbri
Virtanen
Sanheim
Ritchie

His skating is no longer a problem.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008

for sure, and thats fine, all I did was ask that we for once get an explanation for why they think Nylander will be the 2nd best player.

also its funny that they all rank Ehlers a tier below. only Ehlers, no one else.
so its clealy leaf fans being ******** over Ehlers ranking pver Willie.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
He's good but there's nothing crazy about where he was drafted. When all is said and done he could easily land in the #6-8 area in a re-draft. Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennett, Draisatl, Larkin and Nylander all have real, legit chances at being more valuable players in the long run.

And the point is, so could Ehlers!

You guys just alwas need tp get Nylander into the convo.

We dont know, Nylander is good thats not the point. the point is, no matter how well the other prospects do, some leaf will always argue why Willie is better.

I for one think he should have gone higher,
I dont get why some of you are so freaking antagonistic towards Ehlers. Is it soooo hard for you guys to aknowledge what he does? that there is a possibility he ends up a minor steal?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
And the point is, so could Ehlers!

You guys just alwas need tp get Nylander into the convo.

We dont know, Nylander is good thats not the point. the point is, no matter how well the other prospects do, some leaf will always argue why Willie is better.

I for one think he should have gone higher,
I dont get why some of you are so freaking antagonistic towards Ehlers. Is it soooo hard for you guys to aknowledge what he does? that there is a possibility he ends up a minor steal?
I have no stake in the Nylander vs. Ehlers debate and I'm definitely not antagonistic against Ehlers. Was just responding to the guy saying it's crazy Ehlers was picked 9th and that he will be a top 3 player of the draft, which I think is a bit early to say at this point especially when so many other guys from that draft look so good. At this point Larkin, Pstrnak and McCann look like the 'steals' of the 1st round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad