2014 NHL Re-Draft top 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He's good but there's nothing crazy about where he was drafted. When all is said and done he could easily land in the #6-8 area in a re-draft. Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennett, Draisatl, Larkin and Nylander all have real, legit chances at being more valuable players in the long run.

We will see in time, Ehlers already looks very good. From what I see He would already be the best fwd on the Leafs and even perhaps Carolina.

Regardless, my point was if people think this is a fluke how he is playing. They will be wrong. Ehlers has too much talent and drive to not continue progressing. His game is already very good and he is likely to continue to get better. The only way I can see him regressing is as with most rookies, the NHL season is long, and he may become fatigued. But all in all, he will be one of the best players picked in the 2014 draft.

I am confident in saying this.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
1. Ekblad
2. Larkin
3. Reinhart
4. Draisaitl
5. Ehlers
6. Bennett
7. Nylander
8. Pastrnak
9. Dal Colle
10. Fabbri/Sanheim

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
We will see in time, Ehlers already looks very good. From what I see He would already be the best fwd on the Leafs and even perhaps Carolina.

Regardless, my point was if people think this is a fluke how he is playing. They will be wrong. Ehlers has too much talent and drive to not continue progressing. His game is already very good and he is likely to continue to get better. The only way I can see him regressing is as with most rookies, the NHL season is long, and he may become fatigued. But all in all, he will be one of the best players picked in the 2014 draft.

I am confident in saying this.
I agree that Ehlers looks legit, what I'm saying is less about him "regressing" or being a fluke (which I don't think) and more that the draft class looks too strong to throw out wild statements like it being crazy how Ehlers went undrafted for 8 whole picks.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I agree that Ehlers looks legit, what I'm saying is less about him "regressing" or being a fluke (which I don't think) and more that the draft class looks too strong to throw out wild statements like it being crazy how Ehlers went undrafted for 8 whole picks.

Other than Ekblad, I don't think it is an outrageous statement at all. A lot will depend on how the players from 2-8 do in the NHL. Which none will be head and shoulders better than Ehlers from what I can see thus far.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Well, at least we can all agree that the 2014 draft was way underrated..

Sooo much talent..

And this year looks like a legit rookie year, its awesome..

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
for sure, and thats fine, all I did was ask that we for once get an explanation for why they think Nylander will be the 2nd best player.

also its funny that they all rank Ehlers a tier below. only Ehlers, no one else.
so its clealy leaf fans being ******** over Ehlers ranking pver Willie.

:shakehead You can't be serious....

Here's my list from earlier in this thread:

1. Ekblad
2. Nylander
3. Bennett
4. Ehlers
5. Larkin
6. Pastrnak
7. Reinhart
8. Draisaitl
9. Dal Colle
10. Sanheim

Ekblad is the clear #1.
2-5 was really close for me and could be in a different order tomorrow.
6-8 were all really good, I just prefer the upside of 2-5.

Yup, I totally went out of my way to rank Ehlers in a tier lower....

You seem to be more concerned with Leafs fans lists than anyone else's. It's an opinion, something to look back at in 5 years and see how close you were. Stop trying to make everything controversial.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
:shakehead You can't be serious....

Here's my list from earlier in this thread:

Yup, I totally went out of my way to rank Ehlers in a tier lower....

You seem to be more concerned with Leafs fans lists than anyone else's. It's an opinion, something to look back at in 5 years and see how close you were. Stop trying to make everything controversial.

you are one i a million buddy :laugh:

Its not about leafs fans, and as I mmentioned you have no idea the flack and bs some of us hhad to put up with during the course of the summer.

btw my dad is from toronto and is a major leafer.

in all honesty I just want a sane, objective reason as to why Nylander is #2.

and to answer ypur question, alot of leaf lists incl. bias that reaches whole new levels of subjective, hence so many reacting to them :)

ill tone it down, but id still like to know what makes people think willie should be 1or 2.

take Ehlers and Larkin out of it, just answer that one question.

Stop acting victimized and try to look at some of your co fans insane lists and reasonings.

This is a forum for hockey discussion, if we keep the language sober, we are allowed think and write that certain fans come with insane claims.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel

Its not about leafs fans, and as I mmentioned you have no idea the flack and bs some of us hhad to put up with during the course of the summer.

and to answer ypur question, alot of leaf lists incl. bias that reaches whole new levels of subjective, hence so many reacting to them :)

ill tone it down, but id still like to know what makes people think willie should be 1or 2.

Stop acting victimized and try to look at some of your co fans insane lists and reasonings.

This is a forum for hockey discussion, if we keep the language sober, we are allowed think and write that certain fans come with insane claims.

Honestly, what do you want? Anytime someone posts a list with Nylander ranked high, you criticize it. When they explain their reasoning, you just say they're biased in a condescending manner.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015

Oh give me a break.... There are plenty of posters (some Jets fans) who have put Ehlers at 2-3 and Nylander at 8-10 and you haven't said a thing about that.

You're clearly not going to listen to reason regarding Nylander, you have made that beyond obvious.

Here's why I ranked Nylander 2nd:

I believe the Ekblad is the best player in the draft and then there is a 2nd tier of Nylander, Ehlers, Larkin and Bennett. I think all 4 of them are close and it's truly personal preference.

I prefer Nylander because I believe he will be an elite #1C in the NHL. I have watched Nylander play in Sweden and in the AHL and if you actually watch him you can see just how off the charts his skill is.

I ranked him higher than Ehlers because I think Ehlers will be a #1W and I just prefer a #1C.

I rated him higher than Larkin because I think he has a higher ceiling and will be the better player 5-6 years from now.

Lastly, him and Bennett are really close for me. They were the 2 players I wanted the Leafs to get on draft day, but didn't think either would fall. Luckily Nylander did. The thing is they are also two very different players and bring different skill sets. They're both future stars and I rated Nylander higher because I think he has higher natural offensive talent.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Oh give me a break.... There are plenty of posters (some Jets fans) who have put Ehlers at 2-3 and Nylander at 8-10 and you haven't said a thing about that.

I'm not a Jets fan, based on how Ehlers looks in games and his play this year. What is wrong with this?

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
I'm not a Jets fan, based on how Ehlers looks in games and his play this year. What is wrong with this?

Nothing, just like there's nothing wrong with ranking Nylander at #2. That was my point. Look at the context of my post.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Nothing, just like there's nothing wrong with ranking Nylander at #2. That was my point. Look at the context of my post.

Considering how many 2014 draftees are playing in the NHL, and how many drafted from the same draft are producing at the AHL level. I can see why this post could be read as home team biased. Nylander is still in the AHL putting up numbers similar to Vrana, Kempe, and Ritchie. It would be like having one of those guys ranked at #2. Can you see why someone would question this? And I say this saying Nylander is a good prospect but only actually doing it at the NHL level will justify that high ranking.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Considering how many 2014 draftees are playing in the NHL, and how many drafted from the same draft are producing at the AHL level. I can see why this post could be read as home team biased. Nylander is still in the AHL putting up numbers similar to Vrana, Kempe, and Ritchie. It would be like having one of those guys ranked at #2. Can you see why someone would question this? And I say this saying Nylander is a good prospect but only actually doing it at the NHL level will justify that high ranking.

First off, points aren't everything. None of those 3 are in Nylander's tier. I mean seriously Kempe? He has 5 points in 11 AHL games. The other 2 have played a fraction of Nylander's games in the AHL, we don't know if they're putting similar numbers up, the sample size is too small for that.

And I don't know why this is so hard to understand. This is a re-draft. It's not a ranking. The draft is for taking the best player in the long run, not the best player today.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
IMHO:

Ekblad

Nylander
Reinhart
Bennett
Ehlers
Larkin
Draisaitl
(In any order)

Dal Colle
Pastrnak
Sanheim
(In any order)

My top 10

If the question was rank the players on their NHL accomplishments, then this would have merit. But considering this is a re-draft it is asking "Who will come out of this draft as the best?". But like always, you spin irrelevant comments in a post to try to make other Leaf fans look like homers just to prop yourself up as "unbiased" and "objective".

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
First off, points aren't everything. None of those 3 are in Nylander's tier. I mean seriously Kempe? He has 5 points in 11 AHL games. The other 2 have played a fraction of Nylander's games in the AHL, we don't know if they're putting similar numbers up, the sample size is too small for that.

And I don't know why this is so hard to understand. This is a re-draft. It's not a ranking. The draft is for taking the best player in the long run, not the best player today.

It's the best player period. That could be today or 2, maybe even 3 years from now if we are being reasonable. Players ranked 2nd overall in the draft are producing younger today. We see it all over the NHL with high picks. I don't think we need to wait till the player is nearing UFA status(the long run) to know who the best players of this draft are going to be.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
IMHO:

Ekblad

Nylander
Reinhart
Bennett
Ehlers
Larkin
Draisaitl
(In any order)

Dal Colle
Pastrnak
Sanheim
(In any order)

My top 10

If the question was rank the players on their NHL accomplishments, then this would have merit. But considering this is a re-draft it is asking "Who will come out of this draft as the best?". But like always, you spin irrelevant comments in a post to try to make other Leaf fans look like homers just to prop yourself up as "unbiased" and "objective".

I am not sure how to respond to this is another, we are Leafs fans and we are hated type of posts.

My reply was on Ehlers, and why the poster was saying he at #2 or #3 was outrageous based on his play in the NHL thus far but again this is turning into another thread about Nylander and unless posters here agree that he is #2 to Ekblad. We are all haters.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Objectively, it's hard to see how right now you can place Nylander second when there are players scoring at the same rate that he is scoring but doing it in the NHL. And some of those players have a better two way game as well.
Could he end up as the second best player? Absolutely. But if you're rating them right now, I can't see how you put him above Ehlers, Draisaitl and Larkin.

Last edited:

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa

If you move the goalposts to where you can say Fleury can be ranked #1 and Nylander at #65 then what is the point?

It actually has to have some legitimate rationale that a honest objective fan can buy into.

1)Ekblad is a no brainer

2)Reihart is not wowing anyone but his recent play suggests he is marginally worthy of the #2 overall

3)Draisaitl had a rough start and dispassionate 5 games in the AHL but there is no doubt he is a premier talent and is showing it now. He doesnt leech off RNH and Hall, he holds is own and makes them even better.

4)Bennett- looks ineffective, then looks great. I would drop him down but hes starting to roll with Gaudreau.

Dal Colle -does not look ready and might have issues off ice that are not his fault but are slowing his development. Isnt in the top 10 for now.

5)Ehlers - Ehlers is #5 because he is flourishing at the NHL level and has all the trademarks of a guy who will pot 30 or even 40 goals and 80 points one day. He isnt there yet but he is a 20 goal guy right now who is dangerous almost every shift.

6) Larkin- had a fast start and is talented but I dont know if he can keep it up or improve upon his talent the way the others will who were drafted in the top 10 will? #6 for now but is definitely a top 10 talent so far

7)Nylander - is #7 because while he has high end skill, he is not in the NHL and he isnt exactly setting the AHL on fire. He has a point a game which is fine but if he was #2 on this list he would be fighting for the AHL scoring title or thereabouts in the top 5. Once he gets to the Leafs we can see how he does and judge another day

8)Pasternak - is playing well in Boston but I think his ceiling is lower than these others who will push past him as they develop. I dont see high end skill plays form him as much as these others.

9) Ritchie - is a much better prospect than he was a year ago but again, he has limited time in the AHL butis flying, While he has a point a game with 8 of them goals, I would prefer to give him some more time.

10)Mc Cann -while he only has 5 points so far he has a world class shot and instincts. He was drafted way too late and I rank him at 10 with expectations he will soon pass a few of these others.

Fleury is a project. His development will take years and so while he could very well end up almost as good as Ekblad, today is not that day.

Virtanen is likewise a long term project. He has the physical tools and speed but does not have the IQ of the others and Benning keeping him up in vancouver is pure political theater. Feel bad for Shinkaruk and Gaunce.

I have tried to be as objective as I can. I suppose we can all sit here and disagree all day but in the end we have to back up the claim with reasonable rationale.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Objectively, it's hard to see how right now you can place Nylander second when there are players scoring at the same rate that he is scoring but doing it in the NHL.
Could he end up as the second best player? Absolutely. But if you're rating them right now, I can't see how you put him above Ehlers, Draisaitl and Larkin.

Exactly. No one is saying Nylander is a bad prospect. Infact everyone I have read here says the opposite.

He is a good prospect, but placing him at #2 at this point in time, and I stress this point in time. As I can see some posters pointing to this thread. With a Gotcha moment. Is just premature.

This draft is already looking like a very, very, good draft. There are plenty of more worthy candidates at #2 at this point in time of discussion.

Does Nylander have the potential to be #2 one day, yes. You can say that for others too. But right now it is not an option. At this point in time.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
im a leafs fan saying nylander isnt #2 as of now, i agree he could have the potential of #2 but right now hes not, hes not in the nhl(whether hes not good enough or a management issue) at the end of the day hes not there so he cant show case everything while others can so him being top 10 is fine, wait a bit and lets see how things go

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I am not sure how to respond to this is another, we are Leafs fans and we are hated type of posts.

My reply was on Ehlers, and why the poster was saying he at #2 or #3 was outrageous based on his play in the NHL thus far but again this is turning into another thread about Nylander and unless posters here agree that he is #2 to Ekblad. We are all haters.

That wasn't a "we are Leaf fans everyone hates us" type post. That was I'm tired of your BS, and your self proclamation as a "objective leaf fan".

The poster you quoted didn't have a problem with Ehlers being #2-3. If you actually read you would see that he said you can't put him #2-3 definitevly or put a large gap between Ehlers or 5 other guys in the draft (inclouding Nylander) as 2-7 are all equally calibre prospects, a claim with which Most people agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad