Prospect Info: 2014 NHL Draft Discussion Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetkarma*

So Talon says he has one legit offer for the first pick. Kane? :D

Pretty sure it's Vancouver , almost constant updates about that here . They want Reinhart ( so it appears ) and are actively attempting to make that happen.

Saying that ,Tallon says it's a 30% chance a trade happens.

What isn't being said much is that maybe we get a trade for 2 , 3 or maybe even 4 , depending on what team wants to move up and who goes at the top of the draft.

They had Edmonton's radio guy on 1290 and he said he thought it would be either Vancouver or Winnipeg that would/could move up fwiw and said he would stay at 2 if he was Buff and 3 if he was the Oilers.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Tried watching Button's Mock on TSN, don't know how they expected to make a half-hour show out of that, I've been more engaged watching lines being painted on the road.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
Tried watching Button's Mock on TSN, don't know how they expected to make a half-hour show out of that, I've been more engaged watching lines being painted on the road.

I don't know what it is but I am just turned off by anything that Button is involved in. Can't stand him. I think it's because he yells everything he says.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Just curious... when was the last time someone actually traded the #1 overall pick going into a draft and was not a result of a previous trade that just ended up being the #1 pick?

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Just curious... when was the last time someone actually traded the #1 overall pick going into a draft and was not a result of a previous trade that just ended up being the #1 pick?

Usually that happens when there is no consensus number 1 pick. The last time was in 2003 when the Penguins moved up and drafted Fleury. The year before in 2002 the Blue Jackets and Panthers swapped picks.

But that was between teams ranked 1 and 3. There was no "consensus" picks either of those drafts.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Seeing a guy like Ehlers (with Nylander after) in our spot in Button's mock makes me even less interested in moving the 9th in a move for the 1st. Maybe if it was the 9th with Buff, but certainly not with Kane.

I think the 4th or 5th picks are the ones to target via trade. Especially pick 5. You have to think 5 is the most available pick, and should be much cheaper to acquire than 1. Plus, it only takes one team to go slightly off the board, and you've got one of the top centers there. Otherwise the "worse" you can do is Dal Colle (who one publication has at #1).

If I was Chevy I would be working harder to go after #5.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
To be fair , Button has said multiple times he thinks Virtanen would be selected high in the first , as opposed to where he rates him ( not a mock draft ) .

He may be right , wrong , somewhere in between , but he has seen him 30 / 40 times and lives in Calgary so I respect he is taking a strong position.

Then the implication then is the Canucks' scouts can't make it over to the next province to get as good a read on Virtanen as a guy who lives in Calgary.

IMO Virtanen is a much better prospect then most here give him credit for. Watching the U18's he looked like the best player on the ice for Canada, and a lack of hockey sense certainly wasn't evident. Watching his highlight packages, he looks more like an NHLer then most other guys rated in the same general area. Tons of speed, NHL ready shot, tough along the boards, mows over guys in the corners, cuts hard to the net and has the in your face edge. Unless the Jets are able to move up and get one of the top centers, I can see them taking a guy like Virtanen at #9.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Then the implication then is the Canucks' scouts can't make it over to the next province to get as good a read on Virtanen as a guy who lives in Calgary.

IMO Virtanen is a much better prospect then most here give him credit for. Watching the U18's he looked like the best player on the ice for Canada, and a lack of hockey sense certainly wasn't evident. Watching his highlight packages, he looks more like an NHLer then most other guys rated in the same general area. Tons of speed, NHL ready shot, tough along the boards, mows over guys in the corners, cuts hard to the net and has the in your face edge. Unless the Jets are able to move up and get one of the top centers, I can see them taking a guy like Virtanen at #9.

I thought he looked pretty good in the U18's as well. And that was with a bum shoulder.

I have read all the concerns on this guy as well, and while there are others I would rather have, if the Jets ended up with him I wouldn't be too upset. His young age alone would give me a lot of optimism.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I thought he looked pretty good in the U18's as well. And that was with a bum shoulder.

I have read all the concerns on this guy as well, and while there are others I would rather have, if the Jets ended up with him I wouldn't be too upset. His young age alone would give me a lot of optimism.

What I find interesting is with all the talk about trading up in the draft with Kane, is that Kane is probably the best NHL comparable to Virtanen. Strengths: Big, Fast, North South player, plays tough along the boards and corners, has a great cut to the net with a hard quick release and is a natural goal scorer. Weakness: Lack of hockey sense, doesn't use team mates well, and has a temper that gets the best of him at times.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
LW Ehlers
LW Ritchie
LW Perlini
C/W Larkin
RW Nylander
RW Virtanen
RW Fiala
C Fabbri
D Fleury
RW Tuch

Provided someone top five don't fall on draft day, I'd be okay with any of these guys.

Even Kapanen and Milano wouldn't upset me.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I'm sure the Jets have done their due diligence on Virtanen. If they select him, then they will be pretty confident about his character and overall hockey sense. His skillset, size and style make him an intriguing player. He's reported to be one of the very fastest skaters in the draft, and obviously a terrific shot.

He's also one of the youngest members of this draft class, missing eligibility for next year's draft by just one month. Draisaitl is 10 months older, and Ritchie is 8 1/2 months older than Virtanen.

bigplay41*

May 5, 2010
Winnipeg
In all seriousness tho does anyone actually think the jets would risk a first round pick on a kid who is 5"11 165lbs?? Seems to go against everything they stand for.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
In all seriousness tho does anyone actually think the jets would risk a first round pick on a kid who is 5"11 165lbs?? Seems to go against everything they stand for.

I would hope so. He's a teenager, chances are he's going to fill out his 5'11 frame. And with his talent level, that is intriguing. Claude Giroux is 5'11 172lbs and was listed as that at the time of his draft. Ehlers appears to be a pretty legitimate talent. I would be thrilled if we selected Nikolaj Ehlers 9th overall. At his all-around talent level and package, he brings something nobody else does in this organization, top to bottom, NHL, AHL and junior level, in my opinion.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

When Hillier was interviewed by Leafs TV he said their philosophy was to pick the best talent available. He then followed up by saying that Chevy has the final say.

Now how does this org define best talent available? That's the unknown variable.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
When Hillier was interviewed by Leafs TV he said their philosophy was to pick the best talent available. He then followed up by saying that Chevy has the final say.

Now how does this org define best talent available? That's the unknown variable.

Tipping a scale is a talent... right?

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Their first two picks last year averaged around 5'10" and 175 lbs (Petan and Morrissey), so I would say that they are not obsessed with size over skill. If they think that Ehlers is the best player, they'll pick him.

bigplay41*

May 5, 2010
Winnipeg
I dunno seems like a highly unlikely pick to me undersized and European do not fit Chevys criteria if we look back at his last 3 drafts

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Does anyone know where we will be able to watch the second day of drafting (rounds 2 through 7)?

edit: It looks like the NHL Network will have it. Does that mean they will be streaming it or do you have to be subscribed to it?

edit 2: never mind.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad