Prospect Info: 2014 NHL Draft Discussion Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
I'm getting very excited for Friday. With all the rumblings around the top pick and how over the board the top 10 is, it should make for a very exciting first round.

Really hope Chevy can pick up at least a 2nd round pick somehow.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I'm getting very excited for Friday. With all the rumblings around the top pick and how over the board the top 10 is, it should make for a very exciting first round.

Even Lawless is getting excited.
@garylawless: hearing a lot of teams are trying to move up. Philly, Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary all pushing. Philly the most aggressive right now #nhl

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Even Lawless is getting excited.
@garylawless: hearing a lot of teams are trying to move up. Philly, Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary all pushing. Philly the most aggressive right now #nhl

Good. I hope that the Jets aren't "aggressively" pursuing a higher pick this year. If someone wants Kane, let them come and try to pry him loose with a very good offer. Otherwise, the Jets should keep him.

I still maintain that draft picks are over-valued at this time of year. The time to trade for draft picks is at the trade deadline (e.g. Douglas Murray for two 2nd rounders), and the time to trade them away is at the draft (e.g. Frolik for a 3rd and a 5th).

I hope Chevy doesn't get too caught up in the hype and overpay for a higher draft pick. #9 should be fine this year.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012

The best way I see that happening is by trading Burmi's rights. Last time I looked, Button had Virtanen listed at #43, right where Washington drafts second. Burmi could play with his countrymen and we would get something substantial for a depreciating asset.

Good. I hope that the Jets aren't "aggressively" pursuing a higher pick this year. If someone wants Kane, let them come and try to pry him loose with a very good offer. Otherwise, the Jets should keep him.

I still maintain that draft picks are over-valued at this time of year. The time to trade for draft picks is at the trade deadline (e.g. Douglas Murray for two 2nd rounders), and the time to trade them away is at the draft (e.g. Frolik for a 3rd and a 5th).

I hope Chevy doesn't get too caught up in the hype and overpay for a higher draft pick. #9 should be fine this year.

Fully agree with this. First round picks have an enormous premium this time of year (I still can't believe the Canucks gave up Schneider for a #9 and, if I were Chevy, I would easily do so this year for a proven goalie of his value).
It may be possible to trade for a second rounder without selling the farm and I would gladly offer Burmi or Postma for same. I think the depth of this years top-40 will be seen as very high quality in the fullness of time.

jetkarma*

The best way I see that happening is by trading Burmi's rights. Last time I looked, Button had Virtanen listed at #43, right where Washington drafts second. Burmi could play with his countrymen and we would get something substantial for a depreciating asset.

You think at this moment we would get pick #43 for Burmistrov? Or anything close to that?

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada

If Virtanen falls out of the top 12, I'll be extremely surprised.
Also, Button is bipolar and has no idea where to rank Virtanen. He once said Virtanen compares to Raffi Torres and then recently said he has "huge upside and could be a grand slam pick". NEVER trust Buttons rankings....

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
You think at this moment we would get pick #43 for Burmistrov? Or anything close to that?

I dunno, to be honest. But I look at Burmi as a still very young, talented, great defensive #3 centre with #2 upside. If you were a GM in the market for same, and had some tacit understanding from his agent that he would sign with your team next March, what would you pay?

If Virtanen falls out of the top 12, I'll be extremely surprised.
Also, Button is bipolar and has no idea where to rank Virtanen. He once said Virtanen compares to Raffi Torres and then recently said he has "huge upside and could be a grand slam pick". NEVER trust Buttons rankings....
Virtnen wasn't the main point of the post...he was just an example of one of many talented players that may still be left at #35-45.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad