Not open for further replies.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Stemming from the last thread, I'm interested, if the Jets could deal Kane in some sort of a deal to say, Florida for the top pick, how many would do it?

I would. As I said in the previous thread, going by the last decade + of top picks, they've panned out quite well, and I think this years will too. I love Bennett and/or Reinhart, take your pick and having one of them lining up with Scheifele here in a 1-2 at centre would be stellar. Both will be strong NHL talents from the centre position, in my opinion, and both will be better than Kane, quite possibly sooner rather than later. Especially when you consider Kane is 22 (23 in August) and has 5 years experience and still hasn't really established himself. I think in due time Bennett/Reinhart will be just as good or better in shorter time than it's taken Kane to this point.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Stemming from the last thread, I'm interested, if the Jets could deal Kane in some sort of a deal to say, Florida for the top pick, how many would do it?

Only as part of a bigger deal. Straight up it's a bad deal for the Jets.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario

I would. As I said in the previous thread, going by the last decade + of top picks, they've panned out quite well, and I think this years will too. I love Bennett and/or Reinhart, take your pick and having one of them lining up with Scheifele here in a 1-2 at centre would be stellar. Both will be strong NHL talents from the centre position, in my opinion, and both will be better than Kane, quite possibly sooner rather than later. Especially when you consider Kane is 22 (23 in August) and has 5 years experience and still hasn't really established himself. I think in due time Bennett/Reinhart will be just as good or better in shorter time than it's taken Kane to this point.

Who's going to be playing LW on our 2nd line then?

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

I'd throw that back to the Jets scouting staff. If they feel the 1st pick can be a franchise player and shift the fortunes of this team, more so than Kane, then why not?

People will disagree with me, but I'm concerned with Kane's lack of production this year (didn't take the next step) and his injuries. If there are a few more pieces added, fine, but I'd consider it. I would definitely do it if our scouts say the guy we get will be a franchise changer, in a positive way.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Only as part of a bigger deal. Straight up it's a bad deal for the Jets.

Is it, though? Maybe in the near short-term, for say, a year, but long-term I disagree. At the latest a year from now (or during the 2015-16 season), I think we'd be laughing having Bennett or Reinhart over Kane.

Kane was the #4 overall pick himself. Do we expect Bennett and/or Reinhart to be as good or better than Kane? I surely think they will both at minimum be as good, and sooner rather than later. Overall I think they'll both be better, without a doubt in my mind. And even if they were "just as good", it's a win for me because they play centre, and I'll take a quality centre over a quality winger any day of the week. Be it this coming season or a year from now, I honestly expect both to be performing at the level Kane is now, and he's 23 in two months with 5 years NHL experience under his belt.

So, I would trade Kane straight up for the #1 overall pick.

As for who would play LW in Kane's absence? well, that would be up to Chevy as the GM to fill the gap. Perhaps dealing Byfuglien can address that? Either or, we're better off for this move in my opinion in the VERY near future.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Kane is on track for ++value of a 4th pick... probabilistically I would be nervous about trading Kane for a pick but number 1 would be one I'd be willing to do.

That's why you have scouts, I know... but still makes me nervous.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I wonder if there is a domino effect that would happen. Trade Kane for #1, trade Buff for winger (Marchand).

Draft a C #1, and winger or dman at #9.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
So you're giving up on making the playoffs next year?

I don't necessarily think that is the case. I don't think it's a guarantee that we would be worse, to be honest with you. And I expect Chevy to be active this summer so it is possible we have 1-2 roster moves that could set us up nicely if we did make a much such as Kane for the #1 pick. Perhaps we deal Byfuglien for a forward who can play in the top 6? As of right now I would say that is possible. I think there is a chance Bennett and/or Reinhart could step in and produce near just as much as we've seen out of Kane in a Jets uniform. And, within no time at all I expect both to top where Kane is right now at 23 and with 5 years NHL to his name.

I don't have all of the answers, I'm not Chevy. I just know from where I sit as a fan, what I would do.

Last edited:

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I wonder if there is a domino effect that would happen. Trade Kane for #1, trade Buff for winger (Marchand).

Bingo. *If* we did that..

Ladd - Scheifele - Little
Marchand - Reinhart/Bennett - Wheeler
Frolik, etc...

(Could very well shift Reinhart/Bennett to the wing if need be short-term) given Little is a very strong centre.

= Better/equal short-term and better long-term, in my opinion.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

I'd prefer younger than Marchand.
LLWF as older core.
Leaves Scheif as oldest in next "core".

I also fear this:
Over last 3 seasons combined Bergeron WOWY's...

W/ Bergeron
2249.9 minutes
61.6% Corsi
2.43 P/60

w/o Bergeron
476.0 mins
48.3% Corsi
1.76 P/60

Last edited:

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I don't necessarily think that is the case. I don't think it's a guarantee that we would be worse, to be honest with you. And I expect Chevy to be active this summer so it is possible we have 1-2 roster moves that could set us up nicely if we did make a much such as Kane for the #1 pick. Perhaps we deal Byfuglien for a forward who can play in the top 6? As of right now I would say that is possible. I think there is a chance Bennett and/or Reinhart could step in and produce near just as much as we've seen out of Kane in a Jets uniform. And, within no time at all I expect both to top where Kane is right now at 23 and with 5 years NHL to his name.

I don't have all of the answers, I'm not Chevy. I just know from where I sit as a fan, what I would do.

If I'm making that move (trading Kane for #1), I'm doing it with the future in mind. I'm consciously saying, I think we'll need to add quality young players via the draft to have the horses to be a perennial playoff team in 2+ years, but not now.

I honestly think that's what the Jets should be doing. I'm also trading Buff for young players, great prospects or picks. I'm also willing to move Ladd at the deadline, for more young prospects and picks. I'm basically loading up with picks for 2015.

But the Jets have likely sold Ladd, Little and Wheels on a different plan. A plan that involves minor tweaks here and there (cause they all seem to believe in the core), but that has gotten them no where. So that's why I don't think they do it. But it's also why I would. This team in 3 yrs with Troubs, Scheif, Bennett, Bogo, Morrissey, maybe a Larkin (or Tuch or Ehlers or Fabbri) and other 2015 picks/and acquired prospects would be far closer IMO than where we are now.

PaperRockChamp

Oct 19, 2009
Wpg
I have a strong feeling there will be zero bodies traded away from the Jets by the draft although that's not too hard to predict.

I think he's going to give this "core" at least until the deadline to do something because that's how Chevy rolls.

We may trade our 3rd and one 4th for a 2nd, or a 4th for a "3rd liner".

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I also get that not all draft picks will work out and there's a risk, but we also know that this core is not accomplishing much of anything. They aren't getting it done as a collective group.

Is it in them, just waiting for a coach like PMo to bring it out of them? Maybe. But each year they fail, they get a little older and the odds they will continue to fail go up, IMO. You can hope your young roster players develop to push them over the top, but that seems to be failing too. Burmi is in the KHL and both Kane and Bogo have stalled a bit in their development (at least for this last year).

Edit: and there has been very little impact from rounds other than the 1st, which has been well documented.

Last edited:

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I have a strong feeling there will be zero bodies traded away from the Jets by the draft although that's not too hard to predict.

I think he's going to give this "core" at least until the deadline to do something because that's how Chevy rolls.

We may trade our 3rd and one 4th for a 2nd, or a 4th for a "3rd liner".

I can see that happening too. I think we are in for very little change for a while, as PMo tries to whip this group into shape (literally and figuratively). I just hope we can land another good piece at the draft at 9. Otherwise, may not be too much to talk about.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
If we could trade Kane for a guy our scouts are confident can become a number one center, I'd do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA