Prospect Info: 2014 NHL Draft Discussion Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I don't necessarily think that is the case. I don't think it's a guarantee that we would be worse, to be honest with you.

You remove one of our best players, get nothing for next years roster in return. I don't think we're trading Kane for just a pick(s) Roster player(s) have to be involved somehow.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
I would trade Kane for first overall in a second.

The Avs went from worst to first with a 1st round pick and new coach. Jets still basically have a new coach...

Get a legit Centre in Reinhart. Or reunite Morrissey with Draisaitl.

JJ McCubbin

Apr 15, 2014
You remove one of our best players, get nothing for next years roster in return. I don't think we're trading Kane for just a pick(s) Roster player(s) have to be involved somehow.

Surely the #1 pick goes straight into the roster for next year?

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

The Avs went from worst to first with a 1st round pick and new coach. Jets still basically have a new coach...

1) All first picks are not created equal.
2) Most of their success was goaltending.
3) They didn't trade Landeskog to aquire the first pick.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I wonder if there is a domino effect that would happen. Trade Kane for #1, trade Buff for winger (Marchand).

Draft a C #1, and winger or dman at #9.

How would a Kane trade and Buff trade connected as dominos? You mean like full on "**** this, let's blow it up" mode?

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road

You forgot to mention the Avs also got stellar goaltending which I think was their biggest reason for success. The Avs also didn't need to trade an asset to get that #1 pick.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

All good points.

I'd still rather have another first line center than Kane though.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Surely the #1 pick goes straight into the roster for next year?

Drouin didn't stick last year. He would be the consensus 1st overall if he were in this years draft. There's no guarantees. It's considered a weak draft.

19kiefer94

Jun 3, 2014
Winterpeg
Why does everyone want to trade Kane? young 30 goal scorers do not grow on trees... I would much rather trade Wheeler right now. Dont get me wrong I f***ing love Wheeler but there are 2 reasons I want to see him traded.
1. He is in his prime and his value has sky rocketed this past year
2. Again he is in his prime, and by the time we have enough assets to contend, he will be not nearly as useful to our run.
With new mgmt in Pitts and Crosby's desire for a winger, I would like to see Wheels shipped there for their 2014/2015 1st rounder and ( i know im dreaming) Olli Matta.
Same goes for Ladd, Buff, and Little.
I dont think they need to go right now all at the same time, but over the next season and a bit, that would be ideal.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
How would a Kane trade and Buff trade connected as dominos? You mean like full on "**** this, let's blow it up" mode?

I'd see trading Kane as the start of blowing up the Atlanta core. For a #1 pick? I'm not really a fan of it myself because I like Kane and see him as part of the legit, younger core we're building. Sorry, I still think Kane played fantastic hockey when matched up with Scheifele/Wheeler and that's his true game when he has guys who skate with him. Thorburn/Jokinen/Setoguchi? Yeah, big, fat, efffing NO. That's what hurt his production (and some infected knuckles) so I'm not keen on moving him. Trading him for a top four pick next year? Sure, sign me up.

But if you do trade Kane for the #1 this year, then blow the damn Atlanta group up. Off with Buff for something in return - Philly's first and a roster player. Unload Ladd too while you're at it. Ladd should bring a very nice return as well.

I just don't see the Jets doing that though. Last year Chevy expended effort to re-sign significant pieces of what seems to be his interpretation of the core - Little, Wheeler and Bogosian. Jeez, we can't even imagine him really admitting the Pavelec error and now we're thinking he's going to abandon his recently signed core? Nah, not happening.

I don't disagree with doing it because I don't see these guys getting it done here either.
-the goaltending is an issue and that undercuts everything
-we're playing a high quality third line player from a Cup champion as a first liner (Frolik)
-we folded like a house of cards when our rookie second line center went down for the season
-our bottom six are not sufficiently competitive compared to the top 16 teams in the league
-we've got a weak left defensive side (that could be quickly resolved by Morrissey if he knocks down the door)

Buff, Ladd and eventually Toby will be over 30 when the young guys are competitive. Even with these guys we finished how far ahead of Calgary? Ugh.

Do or do not and I think Chevy's of the latter mind.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011

Landeskog >>> Kane. The Jets wouldn't have to improve as much as the Avs did. The Avs were a complete tire fire in 2013. At least the Jets were somewhat of a competitive team last year.

I'm just not a fan of Kane and feel it's time to move on and get some assets before he loses value.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
Can someone please explain to me why I should get excited about the Jets possibly picking Larkin? All I've heard about him is that he has a high compete level.
-who does he play like
-how many point could he get in the nhl in your opinion?
-#2 or #3 center in the future?
-what are his skills? Sniper? Playmaker?
:help:

jetkarma*

Landeskog >>> Kane. The Jets wouldn't have to improve as much as the Avs did. The Avs were a complete tire fire in 2013. At least the Jets were somewhat of a competitive team last year.

I'm just not a fan of Kane and feel it's time to move on and get some assets before he loses value.

Or increases his value.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Can someone please explain to me why I should get excited about the Jets possibly picking Larkin? All I've heard about him is that he has a high compete level.
-who does he play like
-how many point could he get in the nhl in your opinion?
-#2 or #3 center in the future?
-what are his skills? Sniper? Playmaker?
:help:

Did you read Terrel's take on him? He did a great job summarizing...

http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2014/6/11/5773786/terrels-2014-draft-rankings-part-5-1-10-aaron-ekblad-sam-bennett-leon-draisaitl-NHL

8. C Dylan Larkin (US National Development Program, USHL) - Even among a very strong USNDTP crop Larkin has made his presence known. He broke out in a big way this year and solidified the centre of the ice between great wingers like Alex Tuch and Sonny Milano. He has a superb hockey IQ in both ends of the rink. He understands both how to find the soft areas in the offensive zones and how to check hard in the hard areas of the defensive zone. He not only plays a strong a two-way game but he adds slick hands and strong offensive instincts. His shot is quick and deceptive. While he still needs to add strength and refinement to his reads he has superb two-way instincts for the next level. He can potentially play all 3 forward positions with huge success.

Birthdate: July 30, 1996. Height: 6'0''. Weight: 192lbs.

NHL Projection: Smart, slick twoway 1st line center

Comparable: Patrick Marleau

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
For those who say Kane is part of our young core remember he is a UFA in four years so he will most likely be moved in the next 2 to 3 seasons depending on how our franchise progresses. its not a hate winnipeg thing its just that I see Evander going UFA when this contract is done.

I would take a good hard look at trading Kane for the 1st pick this year but it would be completely dependent on how the Scouts and GM weight the BPA. I am not that worried about this season (with Pavs apparently coming back) and anyone we get at 1 "could possibly" replace Kane's point production in the next 24 months.

Secondly we would need to measure this option against existing options that might be in play. If TNSE have a 2 x top 6 roster players, high end prospect, and 1st round pick in the hopper (not saying they do) then that might trump the 1st overall swap.

I am ok riding it out for another year or 2 with Kane and I would rather move older core pieces but if the deal is right I have no problem moving him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad