Speculation: 2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster building / proposal thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thesensation19*

Maybe Nash would work nicely with Zuccarello and Brassard. However, I really think that line needs is a more energetic and willing forechecker. A guy who can help win the loose puck battles and keep possession and make moves quickly. Nash is not much of that.

Steve Ott?

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Maybe Nash would work nicely with Zuccarello and Brassard. However, I really think that line needs is a more energetic and willing forechecker. A guy who can help win the loose puck battles and keep possession and make moves quickly. Nash is not much of that.

Steve Ott?

Zucc and Brass are both good suppressors, so they fit well with Nash. But considering that we only have 7 legit offensive forwards and that Nash is the best on the team at generating his own offence, he should be the one on the "3rd line" creating matchup nightmares for the opposition. Hagelin or Kreider won't be able to have the same impact in that role.

Compare:

Zuccarello-Brassard-Nash
Kreider-Stepan-St. Louis
Hagelin-Miller-UFA/Fast
Glass-Moore-Fast/Lindberg

to

Kreider-Stepan-Zuccarello
Hagelin-Brassard-St. Louis
UFA/Fast-Miller-Nash

I'd go with option B every time.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Zucc and Brass are both good suppressors, so they fit well with Nash. But considering that we only have 7 legit offensive forwards and that Nash is the best on the team at generating his own offence, he should be the one on the "3rd line" creating matchup nightmares for the opposition. Hagelin or Kreider won't be able to have the same impact in that role.

Compare:

Zuccarello-Brassard-Nash
Kreider-Stepan-St. Louis
Hagelin-Miller-UFA/Fast

to

Kreider-Stepan-Zuccarello
Hagelin-Brassard-St. Louis
UFA/Fast-Miller-Nash

I'd go with option B every time.

I go option A all day everyday.

Although I happen to think it will be:

Hagelin-Lindberg-Fast/Kristo as the 3rd line.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I go option A all day everyday.

Although I happen to think it will be:

Hagelin-Lindberg-Fast/Kristo as the 3rd line.

In my book:

Kreider-Stepan-Zuccarello > Zuccarello-Brassard-Nash

Brassard is a black hole offensively 5v5, carried by Zucc and Pouliot in 13-14. Kreider-Stepan-Zuccarello was our best line last year, I can see Kreider scoring 30 if that line is kept together.

Hagelin-Brassard-St. Louis > Kreider-Stepan-St. Louis

Hagelin is a possession monster both ways and a good 5v5 scorer, St. Louis a great scorer but a defensive liability. 2nd option will score more, but Hags+Brass are better defensively 5v5 than Kreider+Stepan.

UFA/Fast-Miller-Nash > Hagelin-Miller/Lindberg-UFA/Fast

Nash can score by himself, and we should be able to find players that cover for him defensively. Hagelin's possession driving is wasted with unproven players, though the line is less risky.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If I had to guess right now as to what the roster will look like, here it is:

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Chris Kreider ($2.150m) / Derek Stepan ($3.075m) / Martin St. Louis ($5.625m)
Rick Nash ($7.800m) / Derick Brassard ($4.200m) / Mats Zuccarello ($4.200m)
Carl Hagelin ($2.250m) / Oscar Lindberg ($0.675m) / Danny Kristo ($0.850m)
Tanner Glass ($1.450m) / Dominic Moore ($1.500m) / Marek Hrivik ($0.642m)
Daniel Carcillo ($0.825m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan McDonagh ($4.700m) / Dan Girardi ($5.500m)
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Dan Boyle ($4.500m)
John Moore ($1.400m) / Kevin Klein ($2.900m)
Matt Hunwick ($0.600m) /
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($8.500m)
Cameron Talbot ($0.563m)
BUYOUTS
Wade Redden ($0.000m)
Brad Richards ($0.000m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,879,167; BONUSES: $128,333
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,120,833

Sub out Hrivik and Kristo for Fast/Haggerty or Bourque and I think that's it

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Wow Viper. You must hate JT Miller.

No, I don't hate him at all. I actually really like him. But I would rather see the more defensively responsible center in Lindberg come up to help with some defensive zone draws and PKing and allow JT to have a full season in the AHL rounding out his game as a center. This organization needs him to develop as a center. Not a winger.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
No, I don't hate him at all. I actually really like him. But I would rather see the more defensively responsible center in Lindberg come up to help with some defensive zone draws and PKing and allow JT to have a full season in the AHL rounding out his game as a center. This organization needs him to develop as a center. Not a winger.

Who's to say that Lindberg is NHL ready? Sames goes for Kristo. The organization obviously thinks Miller and Fast are further along.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Hrivik is an interesting idea for 4th line winger. Never really though of that one. Wouldn't have any pressure to provide offensively, just kill penalties and buzz around a bit, for almost no hit on the salary cap. The other name I've heard is Ryan Bourque, though he hasn't got the same size.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Sather said Miller will be on the team. The organization liked his progress in the AHL. It's time for him to play in the NHL. Point per game player. Work and live with his mistakes.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I absolutely cannot wait for the game or games where Stepan or Brassard are hurt and Miller and Lindberg are both in the lineup. These boards will be hilarious.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I absolutely cannot wait for the game or games where Stepan or Brassard are hurt and Miller and Lindberg are both in the lineup. These boards will be hilarious.

Yes. I look forward to Stepan being chastised for his 60-point/solid 2-way performance.

Then Lindberg being commended for "looking good" despite not doing a thing.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006

Right now they're both in anyway.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Yes. I look forward to Stepan being chastised for his 60-point/solid 2-way performance.

Then Lindberg being commended for "looking good" despite not doing a thing.

I can definitely find entertainment value in that.

I do think that Lindberg is closer to being able to contribute than you are giving him credit for, but he's still going to have to prove it.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I can definitely find entertainment value in that.

I do think that Lindberg is closer to being able to contribute than you are giving him credit for, but he's still going to have to prove it.

Havent seen him play a minute outside of last pre-season, and I don't pretend to think I know what the future holds for him.

But it is quite clear what the organization thinks considering they gave shots to both Miller and Fast in the playoffs. Then again, the Rangers remained fairly healthy at center, so maybe thats a reason Lindberg didn't get a sniff.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
One big concern I have for the center ice position is faceoffs.

Stepan and Brassard are notoriously bad, and younger players do have a tendency to struggle in that area. Moore has been OK but not consistently great.

With our top 3 centers taking most of the offensive zone faceoffs, that has a big impact on our offensive chances.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Havent seen him play a minute outside of last pre-season, and I don't pretend to think I know what the future holds for him.

But it is quite clear what the organization thinks considering they gave shots to both Miller and Fast in the playoffs. Then again, the Rangers remained fairly healthy at center, so maybe thats a reason Lindberg didn't get a sniff.

He is behind Miller, I think (camp could easily change that). But when we thought Stepan was going to miss more time, Lindberg was the guy that was pencilled into the lineup. Miller was already hurt by then, but it's pretty obvious that management is high on Lindberg too.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse

Stepan and Brassard are notoriously bad, and younger players do have a tendency to struggle in that area. Moore has been OK but not consistently great.

With our top 3 centers taking most of the offensive zone faceoffs, that has a big impact on our offensive chances.

large part of why we cant get the pp clicking.

losing the majority of o zone faceoffs with the pp makes things difficult.

KreiMeARiver*

If the opening day roster has any 2 of Fast/Kristo/Bill Lumberg in the lineup, I recommend ingesting a large amount of essence of nightshade.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
If Moore takes another step forward the way he did last year (he was much better towards the end of the season than at the start), he will be a quality defenseman. Then Klein will almost certainly get traded with either McIlrath or Allen taking over #6 duties. One of them (or both) will almost certainly be ready for that in the upcoming season. That would save us $1.5 to $2 (depending on the bonuses they hit). If that happens, we can get some depth. As constituted today, the Rangers are a bad hockey team that has no depth, and will collapse as soon as injuries hit. I don't see the current team being more than a borderline playoff squad.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
^^^^

You heard it here first. We're a bad, marginal playoff team with no depth.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
^^^^

You heard it here first. We're a bad, marginal playoff team with no depth.

I wouldn't say we're bad, but we aren't what we were last season. We have the roster of a bubble team.

Out:
Stralman
B. Boyle
Pouliot
Richards
Dorsett

In:
D. Boyle
Glass
kids (three of Miller/Fast/Lindberg/Haggerty/Hrivik)

The depth is gone. We're worse defensively with Dan Boyle replacing Stralman, regardless of your opinion on the added offense. Our RFAs are likely to eat almost all of our remaining cap space. The only way this team contends is through either a major trade or giant leaps from the rookie forwards. I just hope they make the playoffs so that they don't windup giving Tampa a ticket in the McDavid lottery.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
But... but... it's basically the same team as last year. You guys worry too much.

I mean, seriously. The in and out in the lineup is not the important thing here. Staying:

Hank
McDonagh
Girardi
Staal
Moore
Klein
Kreider
Stepan
Nash
Zuccarello
Brassard
St. Louis
Hagelin
Moore

This is the same frickin hockey team.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

Faceoffs doesn't account for much IMO. Non issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad