Speculation: 2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster building / proposal thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Stralman wanted exactly what we gave Boyle, plus three more years. That's not outrageous considering that Boyle's a decade older than him.

According to Brooks, so take it for what it's worth, Stralman wanted a lot more from the Rangers then what he received from Tampa:

Anton Stralman got five years at $4.5 million per from Tampa Bay after initially asking for considerably more than that to remain in New York.

Link to entire article.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
What about Vrbata replacing Pouliot? Not sure if we have the cap space, but he could be interesting

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
Well, St Louis's stats with us from last year translate to 17 goals and 26 assists, 43 points, over 82 games. Probably a fair assumption.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
Not really. Players need time to adjust. He has done so already.

He'll probably have new linemates, so he may have another adjustment period. And he will be a year older. And we don't have Steven Stamkos for him to feed for assists.

Hopefully we'll get more than 17-26-43 from him next year, but I would not guarantee it.

nikonsniper*

Adding Jt miller is good but I DONOT LIKE OUR CENTERS TOP TO BOTTOM. We are too small and too slow and pretty void of creativity. This will hurt us. Big time.

Not sure what sather was doing today other than building a really solid wolf pack team.

There was only one skilled/creative center on the market, and he went to go play for one of his daddys teams, so we really had no shot there.

The only other place to reliably find centers like that is with lottery picks, and we never tank to get them.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
First share yours that told you he wouldn't put up those numbers and would be riddled with injuries now, too.

Actually, check the post again. What I said was I would NOT guarantee it - because I don't have your crystal ball!

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
We need someone to Centre MSL and Hags...throwing a reclamation project name who would come cheap ($1M) Peter Mueller. His concussion woes are a thing of the past, he showed serious potential before the inury trouble, MSL could reignite that skill he showed in Phoenix

I was thinking of PM yesterday (someone on the net mentioned him). I want whoever we bring in to play physical and I don't think you can count on that from PM. He played last season in Switzerland, which is a notoriously soft league. I don't think anyone can say his concussion concerns ar a thing of the past with any confidence. Might still be worth a shot.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
He'll probably have new linemates, so he may have another adjustment period. And he will be a year older. And we don't have Steven Stamkos for him to feed for assists.

Hopefully we'll get more than 17-26-43 from him next year, but I would not guarantee it.

While I agree that MSL is no guarantee to be a PPG player with us, I would say that 20-30-50 is a reasonable minimum to expect from a full season.

I would hope he's closer to 25-45, but we'll see.

Also, MSL scored at the same rate with Stamkos and without Stamkos. Let's not pretend that Stamkos "made" MSL or something, because that's just false.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Presume these players are on the roster: Nash, Stepan, St. Louis, Hagelin, Miller, D. Moore, Fast, Lindberg, Glass at forward. McDonagh, Girardi, Staal, Boyle, Klein, and Kostka at defense. Lundqvist and Talbot in goal. That leaves $13,638,333.

We have to sign Zuccarello, Kreider, Brassard, and J. Moore and attempt to add forward talent. If we estimate a squeezing everyone you wind up with Zuccarrello at $3.5 million, Kreider at $2.5 million, Brassard at $4 million, and Moore at $1.5 million. That eats an additional $11.5 million. We're left with the following roster plus $2,138,33 in space:

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Zuccarello-Brassard-St. Louis
Hagelin-Miller-Fast
Lindberg-Moore-Glass
???

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Boyle
Moore-Klein
Kostka

Lundqvist
Talbot

So if we get all of our RFAs to go along with team friendly contracts we have $2 million and change to add a top nine forward. This is a downgrade at forward barring breakouts from the Miller/Fast/Lindberg group. Dan Boyle might upgrade the offense from the blueline, but he's a drop off from Stralman defensively. We're also not just hoping for, but relying on three rookies to grab spots in Miller, Fast, and Lindberg.

The situation is pretty dire and the cap crunch illustrates that we can't afford to be paying Klein $2.9 million for third pairing minutes. I know people hate Diaz, but I'd bring him in at $900K, flip Klein for a second round pick, and use the space to make some upgrades to the forward core.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
If I were Slats I would go heavily after Kevin Hayes, a 22 y/o left shooting 6'4 LW/RW who scored 60 in 40 in College.

He will become a UFA on 15 August if Chicago can't sign him. Chicago will get a mid-2nd round pick as compensation for Hayes if not signed, and we can't top that offer. But we could give up a lower pick to get Chicago's permission to talk to Hayes, the price for that shouldn't be more than say a 5th round pick. We couldn't sign Hayes before the 15 August without formally acquiring his rights -- but we could get a handshake deal with him and I don't see too many agents screwing Slats over and I don't see why Hayes should change his opinion. We would more or less have to "promise" him a spot on the roster, but that shouldn't be impossible...

Kreider-Step-Nash
Hayes-Brass-Zucc
Hagelin-Miller-MSL
Glass-Moore-Fast
McD-Girardi
Staal-Boyle
Moore-Klein

Hayes has done a real good job playing with Gaudreau in College, and Gaudreau is a player in the same mold as Brass and Zucc. Hayes could do alright in that role. He is a big kid with good hands and smarts. He is good at adjusting to a smart play-maker. He also has a past as a center and is a bit of a lottery ticket to find one of those bigger centers, although that isn't likely.

I am not at all sold on that Hayes is a perfect fit for us, I think he skates well when he gets his speed up but he isn't gritty nor intense enough to be that big player type that just eats up Ds on the forecheck and he doesn't quite move well enough to be a big offensive threat. At least not at this point in his career. BUT, he is a good hockey player. He would do perfectly al right with Brass and Zucc and probably get decent stats. He would be a young big kid playing on an ELC in the NHL doing quite well in other words, IE if nothing else he would get a lot of value as a trade chip.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Getting Boyle should help boost the stats of our forwards, at least when everyong gets settled in.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Zuccarello wants 4 years at $20M.

Zuccarello's agent, Craig Oster, reiterated his optimism Wednesday when he told the Daily News that the Newport Sports team had a "good" meeting with Gorton at last weekend's NHL draft in Philadelphia. Oster said Zuccarello knows the Rangers have a cap squeeze, the Blueshirts know he's valuable, and they simply have to find a contract that fits both of their needs.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/h...ds-internally-article-1.1853063#ixzz36P4ywxnL

How much for 3 years?

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Zuccarello wants 4 years at $20M.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/h...ds-internally-article-1.1853063#ixzz36P4ywxnL

How much for 3 years?

Well if he is starting at 4 years $20 million, you could assume the Rangers and he would settle at a 4 years $16 or $18 million.

3 years they could be looking at $10.5 or $12 million I would think.

It becomes a pay me now or pay me later type thing. Buy out an extra year of free agency but pay more now or buy out a year less of free agency and pay less (but might end up paying much more when the 3 years are up).

5 4 Fighting

Registered snoozer
Feb 13, 2013
Bk all day
Ola, if Jimmy Hayes can be a good player with players like Johnny G. In college or guys like Zuccarello and Brass, how come a perrenial powerhouse in the Hawks didn't see that potential and put him alongside the better Kane and Sharp? We already tried out Beach in Connecticut and he was a failure, I don't think we will be going for Hayes anytime soon, even though you might be right with the potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad