Salary Cap: 2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster Building / Proposal Thread Part XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
What is more surprising for me and i didn't see discussed here, nhlnumber shows a bonus of 2,8 for Hayes and 0,5 for Miller.

If this is right it would carry over and hit the cap next year.

I wouldn't worry about the bonuses. Most, if not all of them, won't be earned, and the ones that are we should be able to fit under this year's cap.

I don't know which bonuses Hayes has in his contract, but these are the ones he is eligible to have:

(i) Ice time (aggregate and/or per Game). Player must be among top six (6) forwards on the Club (minimum 42 Regular Season Games played by Player and comparison group). (Note: an Entry LevelSPC may contain bonuses for both aggregate and per Game ice time; however, the maximum aggregate amount the Player may receive on account of the ice time category is $212,500.)

Hayes won't hit either of these. He's 9th in total TOI and 9th in TOI per game among qualifying fowards.

(ii) Goals: 20 Goal Minimum
(iii) Assists: 35 Assist Minimum
(iv) Points: 60 Point Minimum
(v) Points Per Game: .73 Points Per Game Minimum (minimum 42 Regular Season Games played)

Hayes is currently at 12-15-27, and .48 points per game. If he goes on a goal scoring streak, he might hit 20, but the others are not happening.

(vi) Plus-Minus Rating: Among top three (3) forwards on the Club (minimum 42 Regular Season Games played by Player and comparison group).

Hayes is currently +8, good for 7th among qualifying forwards.

(vii) End-of-Season NHL All-Rookie Team
(viii) NHL All-Star Game (selected to play or plays)
(ix) NHL All-Star Game MVP

The All-Rookie team could still happen, but the other 2 obviously did not.

Looking at that list again in terms of Miller, he isn't getting any of his performances.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Of course, srry didn't mean to be short.

I think Hayes has untapped potential on the circle down low and I think Hayes might need a bit more support in the 2 way game if he faces a center that can cover a lot of ice during a best of 7 match up. Cole at this day and age is a high maintainance player. He needs a lot of support and mostly goes into the scoring areas of the ice where he waits for others to do the hard work for him.

When ever I see a team pick up or play a player like Cole the outcome is not impressing at all. When Boston and Pittsburgh has picked up the 35+ vets for the POs. Look at Colorado this year, I think it has been a horrible move by them to add/keep those gets in Iginla, Tanguay and co. They have no speed on the ice and McKinnon and co are forced to do the dirty work for those vets, right now when speed and momentum kills everyone must contribute.

No way you get any 18 goals from Cole here in NY in the role he would play, 6 would be good, and I just think Miller is a better player.

I also like how this team is playing, I just wouldn't look at a -- to be honest -- pretty crappy player like Skille. I am mean, I have a hard time seing him winning a spot here out of camp had we acquired him during the summer.

Good points.

First, Skille is having season ending shoulder surgery, so we can end there.

Thing about Cole is, the Rangers need a player who can do that. "Float" (only for lack of a better term) around the offensive zone, and find the high percentage scoring areas by being able to find holes in the D. Cole is far from a floater, though. Even at 36, he can grind it out.

Despite your hesitations, most of his goals (14 of 18) have come 5v5. He's still a very effective player. Effective enough, in my opinion, to bump Miller from the line and roll with four-lines of depth.

I don't see this as making a move to make a move, but as a way to help.

Getting someone like Chris Stewart or Jan Hejda would be making a move to make a move.

Getting a guy like Cole allows the Rangers to run four-dangerous lines that can all drive play and put up points.

32% of the scoring chances while Cole is on the ice 5v5 are scoring chances for Cole.

Maybe that's because his teammates are doing the dirty work, but it's proof enough this guy knows where to be on the ice.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
To say the Rangers will be done in the 2nd round if they don't trade for a defenseman is borderline ridiculous. They have played as well as any team in the east this year and are on a hot streak without their best player Lundqvist. The disrespect Girardi and staal get on this board is ridiculous. It's amazing how this team has played as well as it has with such a horrific top 4 of Mcdonah Girardi staal and Klein.:D

I saw that and what a completely ridiculous statement.

To start with, 16 teams make the POs. 8 teams get out of the first round. 4 teams get out of the second round. 4 teams. Are we a lock to get out of the 2nd round, ie be a top 4 team, if we get another D or what? :facepalm:

We could end up playing a very good team in the 1st round, Boston? Pittsburgh??

John Moore and Hunwick is also playing fairly good hockey for us. I mean, I can see the room for improvement but otoh it usually takes a long time for a D to get to know a team so it's risky too to bring in the names mentioned.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Any good theories as to the big showup of team scouts during last nights game ? They had to be there to see someone ?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
To say the Rangers will be done in the 2nd round if they don't trade for a defenseman is borderline ridiculous. They have played as well as any team in the east this year and are on a hot streak without their best player Lundqvist. The disrespect Girardi and staal get on this board is ridiculous. It's amazing how this team has played as well as it has with such a horrific top 4 of Mcdonah Girardi staal and Klein.:D

Yeah saying they're 2 and done is a bit extreme with out knowing exactly how things are going to play out but he wasn't wrong when he said that this team needs another defenseman (not Hejda/Gleason/Bellemore/some other scrub who isn't as good as Moore.)

With out getting one, it greatly inhibits their chances of going 4 rounds unless they make an unforeseen move up front that just makes their group of forwards epic (better than Vermette.)

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
At this point, unless it's some sort of crazy blockbuster deal, which I find to be highly unlikely, I really doubt we'll make any significant moves. It seems the prices are all much higher than we're willing to pay, and with the cap troubles we're in, the best we'd do is rentals, and we're not willing to give away high picks and prospects for pure rentals, or at least we shouldn't be.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Besides I'm still hoping we acquire Ryan McDonagh at the deadline, which would be the best acquistion anyone got. He looked himself last night.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
The 2015 draft is sickeningly stacked. We can't compete with teams offering a 2015.

And I still feel like we overpaid for MSL and the trade was damn stupid. At least MSL wasn't a pure rental.

Still, hopefully we can make a deep run and give TB a really low 1st round pick.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Best to hold on to some of our prospects and picks. We're going to need them and need to re-stock. If anything, I'd even try to trade some of our older prospects for mid or late picks (i.e. a guy like Kristo).

Time for some of our guys to pick play up, and maybe we can snag a bottom-6 guy like a Torrey Mitchell or Ryan Carter on the cheap to use as necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad