Salary Cap: 2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster Building / Proposal Thread Part XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Blackhawks and Kings going hard after Sekera.

I'll say it again that we are out in the 2nd round if we don't get another defenseman.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
i think this team right now is as good as any team in the east with a healthy hank and fast, and thats with moore and hunwick as the 6th. we don't HAVE to do anything. really.

we have a premier power forward who's on pace for 50 goals in nash.

we are one of the fastest teams in the entire league.

we have an all world goaltender who, if healthy, gives us a chance to win every game.

we have one of the top defenses in the league. 1-5

we have balanced scoring and both size and speed. this sets us apart.

if we do nothing, the rest of the league still fears us.

if we add sekera and trade jmoore and a 2nd, we will be a complete team and a cup favorite.

if we add vermette and trade mcilrath and a 2nd, we will be a complete team and a cup favorite.

if we do nothing, we are still as good as anyone.

if we send tanner glass to uranus, that may well make us unbeatable. :laugh:

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol

I'll say it again that we are out in the 2nd round if we don't get another defenseman.

We are currently 4th in the league in GA/GP, and thats with Talbot's recent attempts to tank that stat for the team.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013

The thing is we have a damn good D-corps if our top 5 can play to their potential. If McDonut is playing like he can, G isn't making stupid plays, Staal is being effective, Klein is being a boss, and Boyle isn't a liability, I don't think our corps is that bad. The question is whether the guys can step up their game.

I'm more concerned about our 4th line than anything, they're constantly taken advantage of and just look like garbage being pinned in their zone.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
We are currently 4th in the league in GA/GP, and thats with Talbot's recent attempts to tank that stat for the team.

There are underlying issues that those stats don't show.

This team is inconsistent at transitioning the puck out of their own end, significantly worse than they were last season (when they still weren't great at it.) Staal is playing too many minutes and I've said it a billion times, hes the last guy I want on the ice late in the 3rd period down by a goal.

It doesn't have to be Sekera, but someone who excels at moving the puck should be a top priority.

If not a rental, they can make a "hockey trade" and move some futures for a younger player. Wiercioch is a name that has floated around who would fit in pretty well here.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I could be wrong but I think the MZA info is planted by the Rangers to get him to lower his price. It's the same thing they did last year with Girardi and Callahan.

Without getting into whether the Rangers should or should not trade him..... if the Rangers are the ones floating this info, he should not take it as an empty threat.... Callahan did in fact get traded, so it might very well be on the table.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I'd like to think we don't need another Dman. J.Moore can step his game up in the POs which is why he should already be in the #6 spot not hunwick. The only one I worry about is Boyle. But you never know with vets come playoff time.

You dont have questions about John Moore, but you do regarding Boyle? Okay.....

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
You song have questions about John Moore, but you do regarding Boyle? Okay.....

lets not pretend that boyle hasn't been brutal on many nights.

one might actually say that the hunwick/moore pair has out played boyle on many nights.

he just hasn't been that great.

really.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
There has been maybe one NHL game where Moore or Hunwick has outplayed Boyle.

NJRangers35

Apr 11, 2011
To say the Rangers will be done in the 2nd round if they don't trade for a defenseman is borderline ridiculous. They have played as well as any team in the east this year and are on a hot streak without their best player Lundqvist. The disrespect Girardi and staal get on this board is ridiculous. It's amazing how this team has played as well as it has with such a horrific top 4 of Mcdonah Girardi staal and Klein.:D

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I don't think the Rangers "need" to make any moves to compete. I think they could handle any team, realistically, though I won't go so far as to call them the favorites.

That being said they have some weaknesses. There are some readily ascertainable problems that could be fixed by a third line center who can win faceoffs and a solid bottom pair defenseman.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Well, why not? We can disagree, but it never hurts to have a discussion about it! This is a message board, after all ;)

Of course, srry didn't mean to be short.

I think Hayes has untapped potential on the circle down low and I think Hayes might need a bit more support in the 2 way game if he faces a center that can cover a lot of ice during a best of 7 match up. Cole at this day and age is a high maintainance player. He needs a lot of support and mostly goes into the scoring areas of the ice where he waits for others to do the hard work for him.

When ever I see a team pick up or play a player like Cole the outcome is not impressing at all. When Boston and Pittsburgh has picked up the 35+ vets for the POs. Look at Colorado this year, I think it has been a horrible move by them to add/keep those gets in Iginla, Tanguay and co. They have no speed on the ice and McKinnon and co are forced to do the dirty work for those vets, right now when speed and momentum kills everyone must contribute.

No way you get any 18 goals from Cole here in NY in the role he would play, 6 would be good, and I just think Miller is a better player.

I also like how this team is playing, I just wouldn't look at a -- to be honest -- pretty crappy player like Skille. I am mean, I have a hard time seing him winning a spot here out of camp had we acquired him during the summer.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Doesn't Boyle have great numbers? I really don't understand why people have been complaining about him so much this year.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
I think Stempniak has been playing really hard lately probably in full awareness that he is being looked at as a position that can be upgraded.

And yet Glass can play like absolute crap because he knows he isn't going anywhere :joker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad