2014-2015 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
No doubt Jacob De La Rose…He has offensive upside that Gauthier doesn't have. IMO. I'm never impressed when I watch Gauthier play…but again, that's my personal opinion.

I find it hard to say wich one has the best offensive upside, they but have a low ceiling.

Analyzer*

No doubt Jacob De La Rose…He has offensive upside that Gauthier doesn't have. IMO. I'm never impressed when I watch Gauthier play…but again, that's my personal opinion.

He doesn't really have an offensive upside.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Player like Connor Crisp are a dime dozen too... Look at Ryan White or Greg Stewart they never achieved much with the habs. Duclair unlike Locke has all the physical tools to have a bigger impact at the NHL level.
The only down I have on Duclair is his tendency to play on the perimeter and to not drive the net.
It's just sad to see such a talented local player passed over so many times by the habs brass.

Perimeter player...we have an abundance of them players, what we need is a power forward who can grind, a guy that'll lean on smaller players and grind them down, if we never draft them we'll never have them. Remember when we drafted Ben Maxwell, nice player, smart hockey sense, played the perimeter to a tee...one pick later, Milan Lucic....we all know how that turned out! (now I have to be specific on saying that Crisp will not turn into Lucic or some people on this board will assume that's what I'm saying and are licking their chops at an opportunity to bash me), but if you never take a chance on a bigger player, you'll never get them. We have players in the mold of Duclair, what we need and lacking is size with talent and grit, I like the Crisp pick, just have to wait and see if he turns into Anthony Stewart, Kyle Clifford or a carrer minor leaguer

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

I agree with DLR - although the difference I see is skating. Gauthier is getting away with it in junior because of his size advantage - this will disappear in the pro's.

DLR is a beautiful skater - I believe his game will translate well to the NHL. Gauthier I have my doubts.

As for Crisp - sometimes you need to take risks in the draft - especially if you are looking for a fighter that can actually play on your top 3 lines. I would rather risk a 3rd than a 1st - like many of these guys seem to get drafted.

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
I agree with DLR - although the difference I see is skating. Gauthier is getting away with it in junior because of his size advantage - this will disappear in the pro's.

DLR is a beautiful skater - I believe his game will translate well to the NHL. Gauthier I have my doubts.

As for Crisp - sometimes you need to take risks in the draft - especially if you are looking for a fighter that can actually play on your top 3 lines. I would rather risk a 3rd than a 1st - like many of these guys seem to get drafted.
The main thing about the draft is not to mess up the 1st round picks. When you get 1st round lemons it can really hurt the long term health of the team. Now if you can pick up NHL players beyond the 1st round then you can really build a powerful team. Think of guys like Gallagher who become gifts when chosen so far down the draft. Who cares if the team takes chances on guys like Crisp in later rounds. The 1st round flops like Leblanc, Fisher is where it hurts.

I thin they went after someone like Crisp hoping he can become a decent 3rd liner. Think of a guy like McPhee, they help you win in the POs.

Mayo8898

May 18, 2014
Per @Tessab25, Martin Reway wanted to play pro hockey this year to support is family back home. That's why he left junior.

I hope some of you feel bad :shakehead

Last edited:

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I have watched Martin Reway closely and I have some doubt that he would play in the NHL. Incredibly skilled but he was cherry picking all the time and not moving his feet to get open.
I like his hands tough!

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I have watched Martin Reway closely and I have some doubt that he would play in the NHL. Incredibly skilled but he was cherry picking all the time and not moving his feet to get open.
I like his hands tough!

I think Reway making the NHL is entire dependent on Lefebvre being gone and someone who will work with young guys being brought in. Lefebvre's solution to everything is scratch young guys or break up chemistry for old guys. It would just end in another Avtsin situation where he'd score a goal have an assist an show chemistry with someone then he'd be scratched 10 games because he didn't backcheck. Then he'd be brought back in the lineup to play on the fourth line and be scratched for not putting up points there.

Last edited:

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I think Reway making the NHL is entire dependent on Lefebvre being gone and someone who will work with young guys being brought in. Lefebvre's solution to everything is scratch young guys or break up chemistry for old guys. It would just end in another Avtsin situation where he'd score a goal have an assist an show chemistry with someone then he'd be scratched 10 games because he didn't backcheck. Then he'd be brought back in the lineup to play on the fourth line and be scratched for not putting up points there.

Avtsin is sure showing the Habs how good he really is since returning to the mother land... :sarcasm:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I like his hands tough!

yeah the biggest problem i saw is not moving his feet enough. That's the only thing I see and some bad decisions with the puck.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Avtsin is sure showing the Habs how good he really is since returning to the mother land... :sarcasm:

Ruined players stay ruined. Not saying he was the next Ovechkin, but his stint in Hamilton pretty much killed his career.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

He literally was better in the KHL at 18 years old than before reaching Hamilton and returning to KHL. Pretty easy to see someone's career was ruined. ;)

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Ruined players stay ruined. Not saying he was the next Ovechkin, but his stint in Hamilton pretty much killed his career.

This is one of the most repeated fallacies on this board. Teams do not make or ruin prospects but they can slow or expedite their development. Avstin was a turd that they tried to polish.....end of story. As for Reway, he plays an adolescent form of shinny. He has some physical tools but he is completely clueless about the pro game. He is currently a bag of tricks but has to grow up and play a team game. I am not saying that Reway will never play in the NHL but he needs to completely re-invent his approach to the game if he plans on being anything other than a star in a second tier Euro league.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
This is one of the most repeated fallacies on this board. Teams do not make or ruin prospects but they can slow or expedite their development. Avstin was a turd that they tried to polish.....end of story. As for Reway, he plays an adolescent form of shinny. He has some physical tools but he is completely clueless about the pro game. He is currently a bag of tricks but has to grow up and play a team game. I am not saying that Reway will never play in the NHL but he needs to completely re-invent his approach to the game if he plans on being anything other than a star in a second tier Euro league.

What's the backing on this? There's been many cases in the NHL where prospects struggle with one team then flourish after moving to a new team/environment. Environment has a big impact on development, be it in sports or life IMO.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
What's the backing on this? There's been many cases in the NHL where prospects struggle with one team then flourish after moving to a new team/environment. Environment has a big impact on development, be it in sports or life IMO.

You realize that you are supporting my statement right?

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
We were high on him in the second round and his uncle was a scout for us at the time.

I haven't seen any evidence that we we seriously interested in him. Seems like the usual scenario on this board where unfounded speculation magically becomes facts two years down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad