2014-2015 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Thrower has low end IQ in his zone and he makes a lot of dumb mistakes. I don't see much of an NHL future for him and the injury makes it worse. I watched him a lot while he played in Saskatoon, likely nothing more than another Morgan Ellis - lots of hype but little development.

Man...you should've been there to enlighten Bergevin, Dudley and Timmins on draft day and on the day they signed him. :shakehead

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Yes.
The 2012 NHL draft other than Galchenyuk and Hudon don't look good at all.
For 2013 I have a huge problem to see Timmins go for a potential 4th liner at best in Connor Crisp over a local talent like Duclair....
All others pick are not bad.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
Yes.
For 2013 I have a huge problem to see Timmins go for a potential 4th liner at best in Connor Crisp over a local talent like Duclair....

Duclair. The same guy who's former coach passed on three times. I can see why Timmins didn't pick him. Duclair is having success now, but we shall see how long it lasts.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Duclair. The same guy who's former coach passed on three times. I can see why Timmins didn't pick him. Duclair is having success now, but we shall see how long it lasts.
Duclair has way more upside than Crisp not even comparable.

Newsflash 18 years old will mature.

I respect Roy but him passing over Duclair does not mean **** all if Duclair become a good NHLer.

ebis

Dec 10, 2012
Czech Republic
No. He only said he would not be allowed to play at WCH if he would be playing QMJHL playoff. Which is one of the reasons why he opted for Sparta. Another reason was he wanted to play men league to improve other aspects of his play.

Yes he did. First google result:

http://sport.aktuality.sk/c/178085/martin-reway-nic-nie-je-viac-ako-reprezentacia/

Look at the last quote in bold when asked about the World Championships:

"I've already said a number of times that it is my dream. If I had to decide between NHL and WC, I would choose WC. Nothing is more important than the national team. Everyone wants to win the Stanley Cup, I prefer being successful in the national jersey."

Although, I'm not sure if a nice x million contract wouldn't change his mind. Anyway, a hattrick today against Germany :handclap:

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
Yes he did. First google result:

http://sport.aktuality.sk/c/178085/martin-reway-nic-nie-je-viac-ako-reprezentacia/

Look at the last quote in bold when asked about the World Championships:

"I've already said a number of times that it is my dream. If I had to decide between NHL and WC, I would choose WC. Nothing is more important than the national team. Everyone wants to win the Stanley Cup, I prefer being successful in the national jersey."

Although, I'm not sure if a nice x million contract wouldn't change his mind. Anyway, a hattrick today against Germany :handclap:
https://twitter.com/hc_wjc/status/550139755921281025

"I want my next hat trick at the Bell Centre to be in a @CanadiensMTL jersey.''

Sounds like a guy who isn't interested in coming over to North America.

ebis

Dec 10, 2012
Czech Republic
https://twitter.com/hc_wjc/status/550139755921281025

"I want my next hat trick at the Bell Centre to be in a @CanadiensMTL jersey.''

Sounds like a guy who isn't interested in coming over to North America.

:laugh:

Or just a guy that says something else to Slovak media and something else to NA media. Things like this could bite him in the ass in the future.

In any case, I would love to see him in NHL, even if it means no WC.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Man...you should've been there to enlighten Bergevin, Dudley and Timmins on draft day and on the day they signed him. :shakehead

Things change, he hasn't developed as expected IMO. Injuries and coaching have played a huge role in how he's progressed and it hasn't all been positive. Tough and mobile, I like him as a player but I don't expect he's likely to be making the jump to the NHL anytime soon as Tyson was speculating.

I'm not saying he was a bad pick or that he didn't deserve a contract, I'm saying he's had a rough development and I think his post-draft season needs to be considered rather than seen as an anomaly. The pressure was on in Saskatoon and he really **** the bed, that's a pretty big red flag.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Yes.

Hindsight is flawless, isn't it. ;)

I'm the first guy you'll see posting and demanding the team to draft local, but you have to go back in time, in the mindset at the time, to really understand this one.

After a great rookie season, Duclair didn't show any progress in his game. He even was suspended by P. Roy for a game for not respecting team rules. I'm confident that a lot of teams had a red flag or a black dot beside his name at the draft, reminding them that they shouldn't get anywhere close to this kid. He didn't care playing defense, he wasn't giving it his all on the ice and seemed to have stagnated.

And then came the draft, the Crisp pick was a surprise to pretty much anyone. And I don't remember many people complaining that we didn't get Duclair with that pick. You see people complaining today because Duclair settled and came back on the right track after a horrible draft year. How I see it personally, the Rangers gambled with Duclair, and they won the Jackpot. It's obvious to any hockey neophytes that Duclair has more skill in his pinky than Crisp will ever have, but at the time of draft, Duclair was far from looking like a sure thing.

Good on the Rangers for gambling, but for a rare time, you won't see me complain on the Habs missing on local talent.

:laugh:

Or just a guy that says something else to Slovak media and something else to NA media. Things like this could bite him in the ass in the future.

In any case, I would love to see him in NHL, even if it means no WC.

Him playing the NHL won't prevent him necessarily from playing in the WC. Teams getting eliminated in the 1st/2nd round of the playoffs lend their players to national teams. Plus, we all wish it to happen yearly, but nothing guarantees the Habs will always make the playoffs!

Oh and, would he make the NHL, there will be soon be an NHL organized World Cup every 4 years before the NHL season, so he could still represent his country.

PricePkPatch*

I remember the 2012 draft. Someone actually posted on the main board "can we agree Montreal won the draft?"

How times change...

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I remember the 2012 draft. Someone actually posted on the main board "can we agree Montreal won the draft?"

How times change...

Shows that, in most cases, drafting 18 years olds is a total crapshoot, considering the amount of development remaining to make it to the NHL.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Yes.

Bozon and Thrower have looked very good at times but both had major injuries/illness last year, the jury is very much out on them for another couple years.

If Crisp is a "4th liner at best" then we can call Duclair a "career minor leaguer" since we KNOW what players will be in 3-4 years.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Bozon and Thrower have looked very good at times but both had major injuries/illness last year, the jury is very much out on them for another couple years.

If Crisp is a "4th liner at best" then we can call Duclair a "career minor leaguer" since we KNOW what players will be in 3-4 years.

I've lost a bit of hope with Thrower, but I'm with you for Bozon. I still believe a lot in him.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Duclair has way more upside than Crisp not even comparable.

Newsflash 18 years old will mature.

I respect Roy but him passing over Duclair does not mean **** all if Duclair become a good NHLer.

So it's ok to talk about Duclair's upside but not Crisp's because Duclair will develop and Crisp won't?

At this point Duclair has only shown flashes like a D'agostini or Palushaj, it proves nothing.

CH4

Jul 21, 2004
Chicoutimi
He has the tools to be very good defensively like Datsyuk does.

Martin Reway as good defensively as Datsyuk? :amazed:

maybe we haven't seen the same player.

The reway I saw cheated a lot defensively to create attack, floated in order to get breakaways leaving his team in trouble.

Now he was still awesome as you can float if you score goals like a machine, but Datsyukian defense is way out of reach for him IMO, it's not in his DNA

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Martin Reway as good defensively as Datsyuk? :amazed:

maybe we haven't seen the same player.

The reway I saw cheated a lot defensively to create attack, floated in order to get breakaways leaving his team in trouble.

Now he was still awesome as you can float if you score goals like a machine, but Datsyukian defense is way out of reach for him IMO, it's not in his DNA

You're in grade 2???

seriously, your reading needs A LOT of work, go back and read my post, then read yours...

"has the tools to be very good defensively like Datsyuk does"

Speed, quickness and great anticipation. What he does with those tools is yet to be determined. Most offensive players float and look for offensive chances at 17-18-19, this isn't breaking news. That's why the AHL is there, to teach skill players how to play at both ends...Andrighetto Gallagher Beaulieu are all examples of players that are 200% better defensively than they were 2-3 years ago.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
As of right now the 2013 draft looks like it could be a very strong draft for the Habs with all their picks looking like they have NHL potential…I agree that 2012 doesn't look as good anymore with Collberg having been traded and struggling, Vail struggling, Nystrom having gone back to Sweden and Thrower and Bozon's futures as huge question marks. Galchenyuk is obviously awesome and if Hudon stays healthy, he should be a pretty good player for us down the road.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
With the KHL losing traction as a result of the dropping ruble and price of oil, I think Reway will be in the AHL next year if the Habs want to sign him.

he's under contract in the Czech league next year unless he has an out clause he should be back with Sparta.

Reway has the potential to be Balej part two. I'd definitely consider trading him plus a third round pick for a top 6 forward rental like Tlusty.

funny you bring up Balej, I was watching Reway and kept hearing the announcers say Balej so I looked it up and it was in fact our Balej playing in the Czech league. he didn't look anywhere near as good as he did in Hamilton but I felt at the time that he was helped in a big way by Pleks. I think Reway could be a lot better then Balej if he can improve his defensive game and effort.

You say you watched him for two years, and this is an actual conclusion that you came to? How could anyone take you seriously about the kid after something like this?

Reway is so much faster and shiftier than Desharnais, I can't for the life of me understand how you'd think otherwise, and they literally play nothing alike! Reway has no problem attacking the defense and scoring, DD would never try that! He'd hold the puck and look to pass. Reway can pass as well and has hands that DD could only dream of.

Literally the only thing DD has on Reway, is work ethic on the ice, and that may be the most important thing. IMO that's the only thing that will stop Reway from being the next Johnny Gaudreau in the NHL.

agreed, Reway is very shifty and can be a real treat to watch but the lack of effort at times would get him benched by the current coaching staff for sure.

I could be wrong but I can't remember any of our NCAA forward prospects produce like that as a freshman. Let alone one picked in the 7th round

Has anybody seen him? I remember reading one of those brief talent analysis bits and he sounded pretty unimpressive.

Pacioretty- 39 pts in 37 games.
Kristo- 36 pts in 41 games.
Leblanc- 23 pts in 31 games.
MacMillan had 23 pts in 42 games.

I've seen Evans a few times, good speed and has some hands, we'll see how much he improves over the next few years. he's at a good program with a good coach so hopefully he can turn into something.

TheGreatGazoo

Aug 6, 2007
Jeremy Gregoire got back form his injury on December 28th, he has one assist so far in todays game against Chicoutimi (still on going,),this is his 3rd game since coming back, he was named the second star in his first game back against Quebec on the 28th.

Corax

May 1, 2007
The only fail is you, bud, twisting stats to fit your agenda.

DD
juniors had point totals of 51, 97, 118 & 108
echl 106
AHL 58, 78

Reway
junior 50, 62
in the czech league 21 in 23 games (I'll bet you the ECHL is a superior league to that czech league)

DD's numbers reveal a player that could sustain his production over a whole season. Not like Reway who is a part time player. On top of that he left The Q because he couldn't change his spoiled attitude to the game so he went to a small pond where he'd be a big fish.

And the cherry on top of this cake: DD plays in the NHL. Let's see if Reway makes it that far.

Wooow, I think I threw up in my mouth. Seriously, goes downhill for you each post you write. Through NHL break, some players played there. Can you imagine someone even considering AHL or or those beer leagues to keep in form?

PricePkPatch*

Meh. 6 points game for McCarron. Not even the sole point leader for that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad