2014-2015 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Goalies take a long time to develop and projecting anything positive or negative right now is just extremely stupid..

Fucale wins games. He is technically proficient and he is calm in the net. He's a smart kid with a great personality. He has a lot going for him and there's a lot of developing left to do.

He's never going to be better than Price but he can develop into a number one goalie who will find a way to win games. He's a great insurance policy for Price.

That being said, our scouting staff needs to stop looking for technically proficient goalies and finding athletic goalies. You can teach technical aspects but you can't teach pure athleticism. That's where Finland has come to the forefront of developing goalies recently. Canada is lagging behind but have been making efforts to change how they develop kids.

You need a certain base, you can't teach a goalie that is all over the place technically to be Carey Price. It's like skating, any player can improve their skating, but you won't go from Doug Murray to max Pacioretty no matter how long and hard you train...

Analyzer*

I never watched too much of Vail, but it's still strange to see this guy, who was lauded for being such a complete player by his coach and OHL management, have such a hard time adjusting to the pro game.

He apparently doesn't take to training.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
You need a certain base, you can't teach a goalie that is all over the place technically to be Carey Price. It's like skating, any player can improve their skating, but you won't go from Doug Murray to max Pacioretty no matter how long and hard you train...

Price is athletic as well. You can refine technical aspects but the reason Murray can't skate as well as pacioretty is because he isn't as athletic. Even if you perfected Murray's technique he won't skate like patches.

You can't change genetics. If you have an athletic goalie you can refine technique. If you have strong technical ability you will never change how many fast twitch fibres you have.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I have watched a lot of Reway in the Czech league this year and his defensive play is not very good, he floats too much for my liking. No way I would call him very sound defensively or a very complete two way player. Agree on the rest of the comments about his offense though, the kid is a real treat to watch with the puck but he's got to work harder as he can be lazy at times imo.

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014
I have watched a lot of Reway in the Czech league this year and his defensive play is not very good, he floats too much for my liking. No way I would call him very sound defensively or a very complete two way player. Agree on the rest of the comments about his offense though, the kid is a real treat to watch with the puck but he's got to work harder as he can be lazy at times imo.

I read that in the Hockey future site :
«Reway is a fierier player that has grit and a good work ethic. He reads the play well defensively and his solid positioning allows him to use his stick to break up passes in his end of the rink. »
I thought it was not that far from the description from the Overtime Sports Nation site.
But when i read your posts, i would say, maybe they are going too far on on his defensive skills.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
I read that in the Hockey future site :
«Reway is a fierier player that has grit and a good work ethic. He reads the play well defensively and his solid positioning allows him to use his stick to break up passes in his end of the rink. »
I thought it was not that far from the description from the Overtime Sports Nation site.
But when i read your posts, i would say, maybe they are going too far on on his defensive skills.

If his 'work ethic' was that great, he wouldn't have been into constant arguments with Benoit Groulx last year, Groulx being Mister Work Ethic par excellence.

David Thicke

May 6, 2011
Montreal, QC

This was my description of his game in the QJMHL for his draft year and not this season on the bigger ice surface in Europe. He started to float more defensively in his last season in the Q after being drafted as he tried to push his offensive game more than the defensive play. Him and Emile Poirier were the Olympiques' main offensive weapons. He did have arguments with Groulx over his back checking but not his positional play in the defensive zone. Reway is an opportunistic defender and is always cheating defensively to beat the opposition defender at his blueline. His hockey sense and vision are excellent so he can read the play well and surely can improve his defensive game but the big question mark, is will he? The bigger ice surface is not going to help it as he can escape more easily and this makes him a dangerous offensive player so he will cheat even more in the defensive zone.

Looking forward to watching him today against Team Canada to see how he responds to the North American ice after the switch to Europe. Might take him a few games to re-adjust. I will watch more closely to his overall game in this tournament.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Martin Reway could actually be THE best prospect piece we could add in a trade. A guy who doesn't intend to come in the NHL before 2 or 3 years, the possibility that he could never fix his overall defensive game, could be enticing to the Habs in trading him yet, could be worth the risk for other teams based on his offensive game that they could change him and work with him. Reway at the deadline, could be last year's Collberg....If so though, be sure to keep the guy we're getting more than 20 games....

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Price is athletic as well. You can refine technical aspects but the reason Murray can't skate as well as pacioretty is because he isn't as athletic. Even if you perfected Murray's technique he won't skate like patches.

You can't change genetics. If you have an athletic goalie you can refine technique. If you have strong technical ability you will never change how many fast twitch fibres you have.

There is still a certain window to develop a goalie into an NHL starter, if a guy requires 10 years of development, then it's a waste of time. You want a guy with a good enough base that you can coach him up in 3-4 years and have a potential NHL starter by then.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Martin Reway could actually be THE best prospect piece we could add in a trade. A guy who doesn't intend to come in the NHL before 2 or 3 years, the possibility that he could never fix his overall defensive game, could be enticing to the Habs in trading him yet, could be worth the risk for other teams based on his offensive game that they could change him and work with him. Reway at the deadline, could be last year's Collberg....If so though, be sure to keep the guy we're getting more than 20 games....

With the KHL losing traction as a result of the dropping ruble and price of oil, I think Reway will be in the AHL next year if the Habs want to sign him.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

He could land us something but it's a tough call whether to give up on him or not.

I feel like at best he could be a good player for a couple years but then just kind of fall off IMO. At the same time his upside is too tantalizing. I trust management if they think he's got attitude problems that can't be fixed.

Definitely agree that I wouldn't want to trade him for just a rental.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Reway has the potential to be Balej part two. I'd definitely consider trading him plus a third round pick for a top 6 forward rental like Tlusty.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

Having seen him for two years, he really doesn't impress me. Ply on top of that he couldn't get along with Groulx and you got a real problem. Honestly his play doesn't impress me. I don't think it'll translate to the NHL.

I'm asking myself why Timmins would pass on Duclair & Sang yet pick this kid. Even if the rumours of his attitude were true - and they're not - at least Duclair has size & speed. I was real high on Duclair but figured Timmins knew more about the kid's attitude than I did so I accepted that they didn't draft him.

Lehkonen is another one. Why is Timmins so high on this kid? He speaks of him as if he was the steal of the draft. I look at that kid and I see an average bottom 6 player at best.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Having seen him for two years, he really doesn't impress me. Ply on top of that he couldn't get along with Groulx and you got a real problem. Honestly his play doesn't impress me. I don't think it'll translate to the NHL.

I'm asking myself why Timmins would pass on Duclair & Sang yet pick this kid. Even if the rumours of his attitude were true - and they're not - at least Duclair has size & speed. I was real high on Duclair but figured Timmins knew more about the kid's attitude than I did so I accepted that they didn't draft him.

Lehkonen is another one. Why is Timmins so high on this kid? He speaks of him as if he was the steal of the draft. I look at that kid and I see an average bottom 6 player at best.

Surely only because Reway was just a 116 pick. So at one point...why not take a guy like him at that spot? Where for Duclair, while I don't agree, they had other guys on their mind and 71 was too soon for him. How you could go for a clear 4th line player instead of a possible gamebreaker is beyond me....but they have seen Crisp play more than I did. I wasn't a fan of Duclair. Clearly not top 2 rounds. But round 3? Made sense. And Ho-Sang...well you're talking 1st round here. And frankly, you might have in Scherbak, a Ho-Sang with better work ethic. My way of drafting would indeed be to go with pure talent. Of course, if the kid is total jack-ass with no aspiration in life and worst human being on the planet....I'd probably would forget him. But kids are kids and it's really tough to know where they will end up in their life and the kind of maturity and development they'Ll be able to have.

As far as Lehkonen is concerned....also a wait and see approach for me. I haven't seen 1 game so far where he blew me away. Clearly not his type of game. Maybe he's a Seth Griffith type of player. He works hard. I think he's pretty solid for a guy his size. But I just don't see it....so far. Reason why at one point, when people keep saying that we have so many small kids up front and so on....I will believe that a natural process will take its course. We won't have all those kids around at the same time. And I guess that the Crisp pick was to make up for the smaller kids in the system...yet Duclair is not that small of a player. Mind you, Duclair didn't help himself with such an average draft year....to say the least.

ebis

Dec 10, 2012
Czech Republic
Reway has the potential to be Balej part two. I'd definitely consider trading him plus a third round pick for a top 6 forward rental like Tlusty.

Reway has repeatedly stated that he doesn't want to play in NA since the World Championships are more important to him than NHL.

Chara-3

May 7, 2007
Reway has repeatedly stated that he doesn't want to play in NA since the World Championships are more important to him than NHL.

No. He only said he would not be allowed to play at WCH if he would be playing QMJHL playoff. Which is one of the reasons why he opted for Sparta. Another reason was he wanted to play men league to improve other aspects of his play.

Regarding Balej. Reway is already better than Balej ever was. He is having a great season with Sparta. The only juniors who managed to put similar numbers in Czech league were Hudler, Havlat and Hertl. I am not telling he will ever make it to NHL but trading him now is just too early. Let's wait, his price won't be any lower after the season.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Surely only because Reway was just a 116 pick. So at one point...why not take a guy like him at that spot? Where for Duclair, while I don't agree, they had other guys on their mind and 71 was too soon for him. How you could go for a clear 4th line player instead of a possible gamebreaker is beyond me....but they have seen Crisp play more than I did. I wasn't a fan of Duclair. Clearly not top 2 rounds. But round 3? Made sense. And Ho-Sang...well you're talking 1st round here. And frankly, you might have in Scherbak, a Ho-Sang with better work ethic. My way of drafting would indeed be to go with pure talent. Of course, if the kid is total jack-ass with no aspiration in life and worst human being on the planet....I'd probably would forget him. But kids are kids and it's really tough to know where they will end up in their life and the kind of maturity and development they'Ll be able to have.

I got the sense that he wouldn't have picked Ho-Sang even if he fell to him in the 2nd round.

Anyway Reway reminds me of a DD with a bad attitude and without the speed. He is probably even smaller than DD.

In my mind I don't see a Habs (or even a NHL) future for Reway or Lehkonen. De La Rose on the other hand...wow...I was excited last year and I'm even more excited this year. This kid is gonna make a difference on any team he plays on. So I guess you win some and you lose some.

On a really OT note, I'm impressed by Darnell Nurse. This kid is gonna be something special. He has size, speed to burn and can handle the puck. If MB can sweet talk MacT into a trade for this kid, he might save Nurse's career. We all know that the Oilers will only screw up this kid.

I like Bowey & Morissey but Nurse reminds me a little of Larry Robinson and I have the feeling he'll become the best of the lot..

Last edited:

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
I got the sense that he wouldn't have picked Ho-Sang even if he fell to him in the 2nd round.

Anyway Reway reminds me of a DD with a bad attitude and without the speed. He is probably even smaller than DD.

In my mind I don't see a Habs (or even a NHL) future for Reway or Lehkonen. De La Rose on the other hand...wow...I was excited last year and I'm even more excited this year. This kid is gonna make a difference on any team he plays on. So I guess you win some and you lose some.

On a really OT note, I'm impressed by Darnell Nurse. This kid is gonna be something special. He has size, speed to burn and can handle the puck. If MB can sweet talk MacT into a trade for this kid, he might save Nurse's career. We all know that the Oilers will only screw up this kid.

I like Bowey & Morissey but Nurse reminds me a little of Larry Robinson and I have the feeling he'll become the best of the lot..

You say you watched him for two years, and this is an actual conclusion that you came to? How could anyone take you seriously about the kid after something like this?

Reway is so much faster and shiftier than Desharnais, I can't for the life of me understand how you'd think otherwise, and they literally play nothing alike! Reway has no problem attacking the defense and scoring, DD would never try that! He'd hold the puck and look to pass. Reway can pass as well and has hands that DD could only dream of.

Literally the only thing DD has on Reway, is work ethic on the ice, and that may be the most important thing. IMO that's the only thing that will stop Reway from being the next Johnny Gaudreau in the NHL.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
so is McCarron's goal today independent of his shootout goal or do SO goals count towards their stats in junior? I thought it was just overseas they did that if I'm not mistaken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad