2014-2015 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
I know it's been 1 exhibition game, but Fucale is a source of concern for me at the moment. Those 2 goals he gave up were pathetic.

Speaking strictly as a prospect, I am becoming less a fan of Fucale. Whenever I catch a game of his, I come away unimpressed. He needs to be on an offensively strong team, because he gives up softies very often. Very Fuhr like IMHO. I don't see him being successful in Montreal, and am open to using him as a trade chip.

I am always puzzled at the attention Fucale gets especially from Habs fans. I am not even sure he can be a backup one day. Not impressed at all with him.

Analyzer*

I am always puzzled at the attention Fucale gets especially from Habs fans. I am not even sure he can be a backup one day. Not impressed at all with him.

Good God, man!

You will be called a hater.

Seriously, though. I agree. Why else do people think I hope he gets dealt before people realize he isn't good/loses value ?

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
Good God, man!

You will be called a hater.

Seriously, though. I agree. Why else do people think I hope he gets dealt before people realize he isn't good/loses value ?

I think we could be a little more patient with him... We'll see.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I've never been really good at reading goalies (after Garon's impressive season in Hamilton I thought he was going to be a full time NHL starter and at the very least above average one) but in all the games I've seen from Fucale I've liked what I've seen so we'll see how he handles the pros next year as that's where I really focus my attention and put a lot of stock in how prospects respond.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Goalies take a long time to develop and projecting anything positive or negative right now is just extremely stupid..

Fucale wins games. He is technically proficient and he is calm in the net. He's a smart kid with a great personality. He has a lot going for him and there's a lot of developing left to do.

He's never going to be better than Price but he can develop into a number one goalie who will find a way to win games. He's a great insurance policy for Price.

That being said, our scouting staff needs to stop looking for technically proficient goalies and finding athletic goalies. You can teach technical aspects but you can't teach pure athleticism. That's where Finland has come to the forefront of developing goalies recently. Canada is lagging behind but have been making efforts to change how they develop kids.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Goalies take a long time to develop and projecting anything positive or negative right now is just extremely stupid..

Fucale wins games. He is technically proficient and he is calm in the net. He's a smart kid with a great personality. He has a lot going for him and there's a lot of developing left to do.

He's never going to be better than Price but he can develop into a number one goalie who will find a way to win games. He's a great insurance policy for Price.

That being said, our scouting staff needs to stop looking for technically proficient goalies and finding athletic goalies. You can teach technical aspects but you can't teach pure athleticism. That's where Finland has come to the forefront of developing goalies recently. Canada is lagging behind but have been making efforts to change how they develop kids.

I agree. Too soon to tell. Yet, I won't change my initial mind that I didn't want him at the draft, that I think he was overrated PRIOR to his drafting and that he hasn't done anything to convince me, so far, that he is better that I think he is. And again, whether he totally sucks at the WJC or is incredibly brillant, it,s not going to change my mind. Personnally, I do hope that he has a good WJC 'cause it sure would give a lot of confidence to the kid for the rest of the year and the Mem Cup. And....if we'd ever want to trade him to improve, you need some serious performance to show what you can do. But it's way too soon to tell how it will end up.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I agree. Too soon to tell. Yet, I won't change my initial mind that I didn't want him at the draft, that I think he was overrated PRIOR to his drafting and that he hasn't done anything to convince me, so far, that he is better that I think he is. And again, whether he totally sucks at the WJC or is incredibly brillant, it,s not going to change my mind. Personnally, I do hope that he has a good WJC 'cause it sure would give a lot of confidence to the kid for the rest of the year and the Mem Cup. And....if we'd ever want to trade him to improve, you need some serious performance to show what you can do. But it's way too soon to tell how it will end up.

Sounds like a post from you on Carey Price 7-8 years ago. ;-)

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Sounds like a post from you on Carey Price 7-8 years ago. ;-)

Well not really. I couldn't have said I didn't want Price before the draft, as I didn't see him play as much as I had seen Fucale play. No matter if we agreed to get him or not, Price was coming with much better qualities than Fucale is coming with.

Top Corner2

Feb 15, 2003
Visit site
I've never been really good at reading goalies (after Garon's impressive season in Hamilton I thought he was going to be a full time NHL starter and at the very least above average one) but in all the games I've seen from Fucale I've liked what I've seen so we'll see how he handles the pros next year as that's where I really focus my attention and put a lot of stock in how prospects respond.

What I like about Fucale is his calm attitude and his steady play. Goalies take a long time, but I like his attitude and I think that he will continue to progress and work hard. In the end that is the most important thing....hopefully his top end will be great....but he is in a nice position because he will have lots of time to get there.

Top Corner2

Feb 15, 2003
Visit site
I'm actually not that surprised that Big Mac got cut. That team USA team is very solid and they already have a bunch of big guys. Fashing was great for them last time around and plays a similar game.

I'm a believer when it comes to Big Mac.....but I think the WJC is not a tournament that would be well suited to his game. I think we will really see his worth in a long professional season and hopefully especially in the playoffs.

From what I have seen of him, I believe he will be the kind of player that could have a huge impact on a playoff series without even putting up a lot of points. Hopefully like Byfuglin when he was in Chicago...

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
It's really, really hard to project goalies, and I am not good at all at scouting them, but honestly, right now Condon is more impressive than Fucale. I'm not sure I'd bet on Fucale being an NHL goalie, but there's no reason not to be patient with him. Goalie prospects have minimal trade value anyway.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Like De Leo ?

Like Shane Prince, Adam Erne, Stefen Noesen, McCarron, Conor Garland, Tinordi when he was 18 and many others I'm forgetting. They're very harsh on players who chose the CHL over the NCAA. And they LOVE their NCAA players. Remember Mario Lucia on Galchenyuk's wing?:help:

Top guns will always make the team, but for 3rd / 4th line players, they will prefer NCAA over CHL.

how many players from the CHL made the US team?

http://worldjuniors.usahockey.com/page/show/701595-roster

DeAngelo, Halverson, Nedeljkovic, Carlo, Cassels, De Leo and Milano.

Last edited:

dcal64

Jul 4, 2010
Ottawa
Like Shane Prince, Adam Erne, Stefen Noesen, McCarron, Conor Garland, Tinordi when he was 18 and many others I'm forgetting. They're very harsh on players who chose the CHL over the NCAA. And they LOVE their NCAA players. Remember Mario Lucia on Galchenyuk's wing?:help:

Top guns will always make the team, but for 3rd / 4th line players, they will prefer NCAA over CHL.

Erne was on the team last year, so you are saying they are discriminating against him this year, but not last year?

Could it be that the US team has better players this year?

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Erne was on the team last year, so you are saying they are discriminating against him this year, but not last year?

I was certain he hadn't made the team last year. You're right. Who knows what's their thought process, but it's certainly not always logical.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007

In Erne's case, he didn't have a good tournament last year (on the big ice of course), missed the summer camp because of an injury and he didn't do much in the game against BU. He was probably already in the doghouse with the coach. However, you have to know what an Adam Erne on a small ice surface can give you. There could be other reasons but on talent alone he definitely should have had a spot. He had 2 goals in his first NHL game and 4 points in 8 games in the AHL last year... while they kept a player like Miles Wood who still play in prep school at 19.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
As usual the "Bust Screamers" are out to slam Hab prospects, now if in fact these Busto"s knew anything worthy, they would be scouts or working in some professional category for AHL/NHL teams. So taking shots at either Fucale or Comrie the two Canadian goalies for Team Canada just grinds on my nerves. This sort of backtalk about players that are playing for the glory of Canadian Hockey really sucks in my estimation, not to mention the Coaches and all the staff responsible for bringing our best junior players together for the WJHC's in Canada. Besides the fact they are supposed to be Hab fans, and the tournament is being played in Toronto & Montreal. One might think letting these players actually play in tournament games and earn either respect or displeasure with their efforts, regardless of whether the Team wins or not, they are working hard through their Christmas holidays, instead of being at home with family & friends, trying to win Gold for their Countrymen! Please have the class and courtesy of giving them the respect they are earning, while giving their best efforts.:nod:

Papa_Bear_21

Aug 2, 2005

I'd just wait until Waite had a chance to get his hands on him on a more regular basis before I judged Fucale.
It might be tough to remember now, but just 3 years ago, a lot of people were wondering out loud (i.e., on the radio, in print, and in forums such as these) whether Carey would ever be able to take the next step; be more consistent; join the ranks of the elite goalies in the league.

Fucale is still in junior and is only 19.

Let's all R-E-L-A-X

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Just because your goalie is lights out in WJHC doesn't mean he's a lock for a successful NHL career,
E.G. Manny Legacy, Justin Pogge, Marc Denis, Jeff Glass etc, etc
Not saying Fucale is a lock for NHL, but let's just leave his career unfold and see what happens

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
I was one of those who thought that Bergevin should have given an entry-level contract to Brady Vail. But, it seems like Bergevin took the right decision so far.
Vail this season:
AHL: 6-0-0-0
ECHL: 21-1-7-8

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
I was one of those who thought that Bergevin should have given an entry-level contract to Brady Vail. But, it seems like Bergevin took the right decision so far.
Vail this season:
AHL: 6-0-0-0
ECHL: 21-1-7-8

I never watched too much of Vail, but it's still strange to see this guy, who was lauded for being such a complete player by his coach and OHL management, have such a hard time adjusting to the pro game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad