Proposal: 2014/15 Season Trade Rumours and Proposals vol. IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Im gonna guess Wiercioch + 2nd for washed up rental dman we cant afford to retain, he sucks and we still easily miss the playoffs.

I think this is a very good guess. I highly doubt we will pick anyone up who is not either on an ELC or else in the last year of a contract so we can let him walk away. We are definitely not looking to add extra millions to our payroll next season when other contracts kick in.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
It was the timing. It we picked him up a month earlier it could have potentially made a difference. We were pretty much out by the trade deadline when you consider how the Bettman point squashes teams together at the end of the year. It would have taken an epic run to make it in, and the team was not a Hemsky away from making an epic run.

I give management a pass on Hemsky for different reasons. He and Spezza were tons of fun to watch when the math said the team was out of it. It gave people a good reason to keep watching games.

I really wish brass had thrown money at Hemsky, ten million for a couple of years. Would have been nice to keep Spezza and Hemsky around for the remainder of Spezza's contract, and then another year with a little bit of flash - just to give the young guns some time in Bingo or an opportunity to play a little more insulated. Would have sent a different message to the players, potential UFA's, and season ticket holders.

It sounds expensive, but you just don't resign Michalek and don't sign Legwand. But I guess it was never an option.

Le sigh.

*edit - but that Spezza trade is looking really solid right now

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
It sounds expensive, but you just don't resign Michalek and don't sign Legwand. But I guess it was never an option.

Yeah, my preference was to use the Michalek+Legwand money to overpay for a top 4 D. But that's all in past now.

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
With Hornqvist joining the ranks of injured/sick Penguins, is there an opportunity to move Michalek, Greening, Wiercioch? Any or all would be nice.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
With Hornqvist joining the ranks of injured/sick Penguins, is there an opportunity to move Michalek, Greening, Wiercioch? Any or all would be nice.

I always thought penguins might show some interest on Michalek. The time to move him for something good is gone though. At this point might as well keep him. He has been playing well of late.
I'm sure Crosby can get greening 20 goals a season. We need to convince Rutherford of that.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Were there any top 4 Ds available to spend on?

Stralman, Niskanen, Erhoff, maybe Fayne, trade for Boychuk, or Leddy.

Next year, there's Staal, Sekera, Methot, Green, Martin, Michalek, Erhoff again,

I think all those guys would be top 4 on our team (well, maybe not some of the RD, but it wouldn't kill us to have a bottom pair of Cowen or Wier with Ceci).

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Stralman, Niskanen, Erhoff, maybe Fayne, trade for Boychuk, or Leddy.

Next year, there's Staal, Sekera, Methot, Green, Martin, Michalek, Erhoff again,

I think all those guys would be top 4 on our team (well, maybe not some of the RD, but it wouldn't kill us to have a bottom pair of Cowen or Wier with Ceci).
Soft group of fas last year. A group of guys about I get money they are nowhere near worth (I understand sometimes you have to over spend) but niskanen ? No thanks. Stralman no room. I only wanted ehrhoff. Don't think he was prepared to come play for another rebuilding team though.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I'd take Bourque over Michalek, easily. Lesser of the bad contract and understands playoff games are important.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
More interested in what Paajarvi might have to offer. Only if Greening/Michalek was waived though

I wonder if Stars would take a flyer on Heatley to see if he could mesh with Spezza and Hemsky.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
He was certainly in the discussions around whether Sens would draft him. We took Cowen and he went right after.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'd put a claim in on MPS. Waive Greening and see if he can develop a little for us.

I'd take a flyer on him if we had room on the roster. We need to move some dead weight before we could fit him in though, and it would only be for the sake of trying something different, so not sure it's worth while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad