Proposal: 2014/15 Season Trade Rumours and Proposals vol. IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I doubt Phillips is traded. The team does want to have him end his career here, and is sensitive to having guys like this leave after the whole Alfie thing. The only way he leaves is if he asks to go.

Having said this, he is pretty upset about being in the pressbox now. If he get in to one out of every three games or so I would not put it past him to ask for a trade when deadline time is rolling around.

HispanicAtTheDisco

Oct 17, 2014
Ottawa, Ont.
I doubt Phillips is traded. The team does want to have him end his career here, and is sensitive to having guys like this leave after the whole Alfie thing. The only way he leaves is if he asks to go.

Having said this, he is pretty upset about being in the pressbox now. If he get in to one out of every three games or so I would not put it past him to ask for a trade when deadline time is rolling around.

Or just retire and get paid 2.5 million to not play.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He's a competitive guy and he's got enough in the tank to be a useful third pairing dman: retiring is admitting defeat

Methot's injury has completely ****ed the team over

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
He's a competitive guy and he's got enough in the tank to be a useful third pairing dman: retiring is admitting defeat

Methot's injury has completely ****ed the team over

Methot's injury could very well be the difference between the playoffs and just missing. Might even lose him for nothing now.

Really shows how important Methot was I guess.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Methot's injury could very well be the difference between the playoffs and just missing. Might even lose him for nothing now.

You're right, he is critically important to our success. Which is actually rather sad for the rest of our D corps, but that's kind of obvious at this point. Frustrating, we can't play him, can't trade him, and I'd be terrified to re-sign him.

Methot should have re-signed long term at 4.7/yr (or more) when he had the chance. Now he's not much of an asset at all to the team.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

When you are a cap floor team your margin of error is razor thin

Anyone in our top 4 missing most of the year would have been (was even!) disastrous

If the team wants to keep trending upward they are going to need to do something about that number 2 dman spot

Not doing anything about it is simply not an option if the goal is see the team improve

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
When you are a cap floor team your margin of error is razor thin

Anyone in our top 4 missing most of the year would have been (was even!) disastrous

If the team wants to keep trending upward they are going to need to do something about that number 2 dman spot

Not doing anything about it is simply not an option if the goal is see the team improve

And if they do anything about it i hope its for a good long term solution. No patch unless its from free agency.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think it shows how shallow our D is. It if was Ceci or Karlsson the result would have been the same.

Our problem is our LD side is paper thin without Methot. Phillips, Boro and Wiercioch are all adequate in a 6th D role, but we need one to play a 1st pair role.

Tbh, I think most teams would suffer a significant drop if they lost a top 4 D for a significant amount of time. The difference is, we're a bubble team from the start. I also think having Karlsson's partner go down has the greatest effect. With Karlsson playing half the game, his partner is also out there a ton. So by losing Methot, and Cowen not having the chemistry (or maybe it's just that they don't want to break him and Ceci up) we see the worst case (outside of losing Karlsson I suppose).

How does Detroit look without Dekeyser, Washington without Carlson? Philly without Coburn?

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
Our problem is our LD side is paper thin without Methot. Phillips, Boro and Wiercioch are all adequate in a 6th D role, but we need one to play a 1st pair role.

Tbh, I think most teams would suffer a significant drop if they lost a top 4 D for a significant amount of time. The difference is, we're a bubble team from the start. I also think having Karlsson's partner go down has the greatest effect. With Karlsson playing half the game, his partner is also out there a ton. So by losing Methot, and Cowen not having the chemistry (or maybe it's just that they don't want to break him and Ceci up) we see the worst case (outside of losing Karlsson I suppose).

How does Detroit look without Dekeyser, Washington without Carlson? Philly without Coburn?

IMO teams with depth are the ones that can handle significant injuries. Methot is on our top pairing so it definitely hurts more. It also underscores the fact that we are loaded up on 5/6/7 D without having guys knocked on the door for a top 4 spot.

Having said this, Ceci has been brilliant this season given his age, and Cowen has turned it around big time over the past 10 games or so.

To answer your last point, how does Wpg look with major injuries all along their D including their top pairing? The teams that can deal with injuries are higher up in the standings than those that cannot.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
IMO teams with depth are the ones that can handle significant injuries. Methot is on our top pairing so it definitely hurts more. It also underscores the fact that we are loaded up on 5/6/7 D without having guys knocked on the door for a top 4 spot.

Having said this, Ceci has been brilliant this season given his age, and Cowen has turned it around big time over the past 10 games or so.

To answer your last point, how does Wpg look with major injuries all along their D including their top pairing? The teams that can deal with injuries are higher up in the standings than those that cannot.

I suppose. The funny part is that Methot has missed about the same number of games as their entire top 4. Is it worse to have one guy out long term, or multiple guys out short term? Idk, but if the point is Winnipeg is better prepared for an injury to it's D, I'd agree.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Forget making trades when it might make a difference! The time is near. Within a few weeks Sens management is duty bound to make desperation hail Mary moves now that the team is well out of the playoffs.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Forget making trades when it might make a difference! The time is near. Within a few weeks Sens management is duty bound to make desperation hail Mary moves now that the team is well out of the playoffs.

Im gonna guess Wiercioch + 2nd for washed up rental dman we cant afford to retain, he sucks and we still easily miss the playoffs.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
when was the last time ottawa traded for a washed up old player?

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Trading a pick for Hemsky last year when it was already clear we weren't making the playoffs was asinine. Granted he wasn't old, but I think calling him washed up would be fair.

i don't think hemsky is a good example at all. If you can bring in talent who you believe will work here and isn't old like hemsky then i would be all for it. We would have had a good chance at resigning him if spezza didn't leave

ottawa gave up a 5th and a 3rd..i would do that deal again for another type of player who may be in a similar situation to bring in more skill

i doubt ottawa is looking to bring in a commadore or stillman yet some of you act like that is what is going to happen :shakehead

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Trading a pick for Hemsky last year when it was already clear we weren't making the playoffs was asinine. Granted he wasn't old, but I think calling him washed up would be fair.

We actually weren't that far away from a playoff spot when that trade happened if i recall correctly. The problem is that the Sens just kept on playing like ****.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
buy low is exactly the type of deal this team should be making or another bobby ryan deal (maybe Orielly

we have prospects... we have youth ... and we will get a few more good players in this years draft

we can certainly afford to trade some picks since most of these prospects won't get much of a chance here

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
We actually weren't that far away from a playoff spot when that trade happened if i recall correctly. The problem is that the Sens just kept on playing like ****.

It was the timing. It we picked him up a month earlier it could have potentially made a difference. We were pretty much out by the trade deadline when you consider how the Bettman point squashes teams together at the end of the year. It would have taken an epic run to make it in, and the team was not a Hemsky away from making an epic run.

I give management a pass on Hemsky for different reasons. He and Spezza were tons of fun to watch when the math said the team was out of it. It gave people a good reason to keep watching games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad