GDT: WCQF G3 | Winnipeg Jets @ Colorado Avalanche | 8pm MT | TNT/Max

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Reading some of the other team forums on here, you see a lot of admiration/envy for the speed and passing of the Avs compared to their own teams.

It's awesome for us that our favorite team isn't just winning in some horribly boring trapping style but instead wins with speed and movement and a high-octane relentless attack. The entertainment value of the Avs is sky high. We really are lucky.
True. It's a joy to watch our team. Style how you win matters.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Casey Mittelstadt was the best player on the ice for either side tonight. What a trade, what a player. I had a feeling he would be a big time playoff performer based on his WJC domination and how he elevated his game in pivotal moments, but I admit I was concerned with his speed. Nuh uh. This guy is fantastic.

Another meh game from Nathan MacKinnon. Crazy we could be up 3-0 and he hasn't had one truly great game.

Didn't like the Avs overall through 40. The 5v5 stats for the game are quite telling:

Shot attempts 55-52 Jets
Shots on goal 28-22 Avalanche
Scoring chances 31-21 Jets
High danger chances 14-6 Jets

The 2nd period was especially poor. He allowed 2 goals including one stinker but I thought Georgiev made huge saves to keep it a 1 goal defecit.

Have to be better on Sunday in game 4. Jets played arguably their best game of the series tonight but were undone by a poor PK. Avs might not get that PP luxury next game.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Casey Mittelstadt was the best player on the ice for either side tonight. What a trade, what a player. I had a feeling he would be a big time playoff performer based on his WJC domination and how he elevated his game in pivotal moments, but I admit I was concerned with his speed. Nuh uh. This guy is fantastic.

Another meh game from Nathan MacKinnon. Crazy we could be up 3-0 and he hasn't had one truly great game.

Didn't like the Avs overall through 40. The 5v5 stats for the game are quite telling:

Shot attempts 55-52 Jets
Shots on goal 28-22 Avalanche
Scoring chances 31-21 Jets
High danger chances 14-6 Jets

The 2nd period was especially poor. He allowed 2 goals including one stinker but I thought Georgiev made huge saves to keep it a 1 goal defecit.

Have to be better on Sunday in game 4. Jets played arguably their best game of the series tonight but were undone by a poor PK. Avs might not get that PP luxury next game.

Good post and agree, this was Jets best game. We need to play better in game four.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
What I love about that Middelstadt pass on the Colton goal was that Parise was there too. If Colton gets his stick lifted, Zach puts that home too. Just no chance with those guys in front

Exactly. Sometimes during the regular season we play a bit too fancy and try not to crash the net, basically not paying the price to score a goal. Now two guys front of the net. That's how you do it!

Toewsfordayz

Oct 20, 2023
Is anyone actually really surprised? Exactly as I imagined here. We are building & getting better.
I think we're all accustomed/expecting the 2022 fast blitz Avs right? We're not quite there or the league has perhaps adjusted?. If we win this year it'll be an uphill grind that's less of a "surprise" to the league. Point being is that you're right - the league is consistently changing and we're at the forefront.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Mittelstadt was indeed excellent but the Man of the Match for me was Lehtonen. Always pressuring the opponents, bringing others into the fight with him and so many quick and smart decisions with and without the puck.

He's born to play playoff hockey.

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
Whenever Bednar is let go (or leaves), some other team is going to have one hell of a coach. For all his mistakes and shortcomings that we bitch about, the man has probably developed one of the most revolutionizing style of playing hockey. I loved that one article on Denver post where a writer basically compared Bednar's tactics to modern gegenpress used by in football. Two completely different sports, but similar tactics sort of apply. Give it a read.

We should never let Bednar go. Make him our Alex Ferguson and let him be there to build another team around the new core, once MacK and Makar and co. are gone. I want the style of hockey we play under him to become pretty much synonymous with Avalanche play, even 30 years from now. So when people, who are not into ice hockey, ask who is the most entertaining team in hockey, the neutral answer gonna be Avalanche.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Rantanen didn’tt deserve two points. He really needs to get going.
He literally passed both the tying goal and had a great pass for the game winning goal. Well deserved points.

Don't you think the criticism is getting a bit out of hand? Yeah, he's not at his best, but holy crap come on. People acting like players of his caliber exist out there in myriads, like any idiot with two arms could play like he does. Somehow no one except MacKinnon out of that forward core has showed that to be true, must just be bad luck. Surely Drouin will score 100 points next season since it's just that easy.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
The Jets are doing everything they can to try and shut down MacK and Rants. Too bad for them, the entire rest of the forward core are built for playoff hockey, even more so than the '22 team.
We don't have any Newhooks or Comphers or Sturms or, to a lesser extent, NAKs needing to be sheltered on their own mediocre nothing line this time around.
Not to mention that LOC and 2024 Drouin and Landy would all be pulling their postseason weight as well

As long as 4giev only lets in 2-3 goals per game, the Cup is more than attainable

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
One thing I like about this board is losses are almost never blamed on the refs. We bitch and moan about individual calls, but only on very rare occasions actually blame losses on the officiating.

I go look at other teams boards and I see losses blamed on the refs all the f***ing time.
Ehhh…

I get what you are saying, but I think we have a fair amount of fans who primarily blame the refs when we lose. I would agree that there is at least a majority of fans here who try to call it like we see it though

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Ehhh…

I get what you are saying, but I think we have a fair amount of fans who primarily blame the refs when we lose. I would agree that there is at least a majority of fans here who try to call it like we see it though

In this league refs are quite often garbage. Especially in the regular season they make up calls to even out penalties. It's a joke.

I have liked playoff's refs more.

Polite HKYDiscussion

Jul 29, 2021
I'm super happy to win, but The Jets were up in that game until they fell completely off the rails in the third. ( All legit penalties too. The slashing call on Lowery, earlier, was lame).

It's also been un to light up Hellebuyck; he was a little bit cocky after that 1st game.

I bought into the hype of Mackinnon getting favourable match ups at home, but him and Rantanen are both not playing up to their standards.

Wasn't Mackinnon supposed to eat Monahan's line alive? The Jets' first goal was Monahan vs Mackinnon: Rantanen loses a chase for a lose puck, then Mackinnon gets beat one on one in the slot.

Really disappointed with those two.

Glad the Jets decided to beat themselves at the end there.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I'm super happy to win, but The Jets were up in that game until they fell completely off the rails in the third. ( All legit penalties too. The slashing call on Lowery, earlier, was lame).

It's also been un to light up Hellebuyck; he was a little bit cocky after that 1st game.

I bought into the hype of Mackinnon getting favourable match ups at home, but him and Rantanen are both not playing up to their standards.

Wasn't Mackinnon supposed to eat Monahan's line alive? The Jets' first goal was Monahan vs Mackinnon: Rantanen loses a chase for a lose puck, then Mackinnon gets beat one on one in the slot.

Yeah. They only scored two goals and they were both on the powerplay to tie and win. Doesn't count.

Reactions: NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

The Jets 1st goal was absolutely nobodies fault but Georgiev. Back to back awful rebounds that had no business being rebounds. And then a soft backhand from practically the goal line that he can't stop. Entirely on him, nobody else.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
The Jets are doing everything they can to try and shut down MacK and Rants. Too bad for them, the entire rest of the forward core are built for playoff hockey, even more so than the '22 team.
We don't have any Newhooks or Comphers or Sturms or, to a lesser extent, NAKs needing to be sheltered on their own mediocre nothing line this time around.
Not to mention that LOC and 2024 Drouin and Landy would all be pulling their postseason weight as well

As long as 4giev only lets in 2-3 goals per game, the Cup is more than attainable
You shut your whore mouth. Compher was a beauty. True swiss army knife middle 6 forward who only made 3.5 against the cap. Very much a part of what made that team so great. Especially against other teams so called depth like Mr 100 points RNH.

JTC is a Stanley Cup champion. Absolute gem of a human. If I were to hypothetically have a life size cardboard cutout of a member of the 2022 team shirtless and holding the cup in my bedroom it would be of JTC.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
The Jets 1st goal was absolutely nobodies fault but Georgiev. Back to back awful rebounds that had no business being rebounds. And then a soft backhand from practically the goal line that he can't stop. Entirely on him, nobody else.
Agreed that it was an awful goal surrendered by George, but on review it looks like after the first rebound, when tofolli went to shoot it again it was blocked and kicked back out by one of the skaters’ sticks (I think a Jets player), and then the terrible backhand that somehow leaked through.

Doesn’t change anything really, as it was still a horrendous goal

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
You shut your whore mouth. Compher was a beauty. True swiss army knife middle 6 forward who only made 3.5 against the cap. Very much a part of what made that team so great. Especially against other teams so called depth like Mr 100 points RNH.

JTC is a Stanley Cup champion. Absolute gem of a human. If I were to hypothetically have a life size cardboard cutout of a member of the 2022 team shirtless and holding the cup in my bedroom it would be of JTC.
f*** Compheh, this team got better by getting rid of him if not only for Bednar not being able to play him any more.

I'll repeat, f*** COMPHER. And f*** anyone who is missing him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad