Proposal: 2014/15 Season Trade Rumours and Proposals vol. IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Hoffman is okay but lack of hockey IQ will prevent him from being a great player

I don't see a lack of hockey IQ. I sometimes see a lack of intensity, which I also see in Zibanejad. I think both are in learning mode and are still a work in progress. Thry need to up their game, dictate the level of play and develop a consistent high work level.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
It's all about the skills.

You could see Karlsson's game-breaking speed as a rookie.
You can see Hoffman's goal scoring ability and hands.

I see a ton of hard work and effort from Lazar.....I don't see a high skill level. Skills can still be developed at his age, but it's a lot harder to develop those skills when playing in the NHL where he has to 'keep it simple' to be effective. He has to be in junior where he has the ability to 'be fancy' and do some dipsy doodle moves against weaker competition. That's how you develop those hands.

Agreed. Players don't develop their high level skills during a game. It takes hours and hours of practice to develop their puck handling and shooting skills.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
Greening is pretty smart about where to be on the ice, IMO. He simply does not have the skill level or consistent drive that you see from better players.

Definitely hard to get a read on Greening.

Condra's IQ is off the chart though.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I would say Turris has a higher IQ than karlsson. (If were actually having this discussion, I think IQ is something very few of us here know how to measure) Karlsson is an absolute go getter. He's faster than 99% of te league. That's a big part of his game, he's not exactly cerebral with the puck.

LOL, what? Karlsson has near the best IQ in the league. Hands down. Helm and Grabner are faster than 99% but not near top 100-200 in the game.

It's actually not hard to see who has high IQ.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
LOL, what? Karlsson has near the best IQ in the league. Hands down. Helm and Grabner are faster than 99% but not near top 100-200 in the game.

It's actually not hard to see who has high IQ.

Definitely agree that Karlsson seems much more of an instinct-driven player than a cerebral one.

It's why he makes some really, really dumb plays sometimes.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Definitely agree that Karlsson seems much more of an instinct-driven player than a cerebral one.

It's why he makes some really, really dumb plays sometimes.
It's true. For me it's like. The elite IQ guys are the ones you rarely go "wow. That was dumb". Or @what on earth was he thinking"

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It's true. For me it's like. The elite IQ guys are the ones you rarely go "wow. That was dumb". Or @what on earth was he thinking"

It depends.

If you have one guy on the team with amazing vision, but his teammates don't see what he sees, it can often look like the stupidest play of the century (you know, like you-know-who and his million drop passes to the opposing team).

And, sometimes, a guy may have a great hockey IQ or vision, but just doesn't have the wheels or skills to put into motion what he sees on the ice.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Phillips has played 4/7 games since Cameron has came on... if we get to the deadline and Phillips is below 50 games on the season, I bet he gets dealt to a contender that thinks he can be a compliment to their 3rd pair/leadership group. Wonder what he would return... if a team really wanted him, I think we could get a surprising return. I call it the Legwand principle.

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
Phillips has played 4/7 games since Cameron has came on... if we get to the deadline and Phillips is below 50 games on the season, I bet he gets dealt to a contender that thinks he can be a compliment to their 3rd pair/leadership group. Wonder what he would return... if a team really wanted him, I think we could get a surprising return. I call it the Legwand principle.

I would be over the moon if the Sens got a 2nd round pick and a prospect for Phillips. I do not think he is likely to return that much, though. Especially given that he will have a year remaining on his contract.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
It depends.

If you have one guy on the team with amazing vision, but his teammates don't see what he sees, it can often look like the stupidest play of the century (you know, like you-know-who and his million drop passes to the opposing team).

And, sometimes, a guy may have a great hockey IQ or vision, but just doesn't have the wheels or skills to put into motion what he sees on the ice.

It is the difference between Spezza and Gretzky or Crosby. Spezza has elite vision... But he lacks the ability to see where his teammates will be. Especially with poorer linemates. Alfie and Heatley had elite IQ's... Knew how to anticipate Spezza anticipating them. Crosby is better at playing with less skilled/smart players then Spezza (obviously). Gretzky had a complete sense of anything that would happen on the ice. It didn't really matter all that much if his linemate is Kurri or a far less smart or skilled player... He would find a way for them to score.

IQ is hard to really measure. A guy like Robitaille scored a ton of goals for 15 years+... Completely lacking speed. Sometimes with great linemates, sometimes as by far the best player on his line. He knew EXACTLY where to be to score all the time. Far more important then his skills or even his shot.

Karlsson could really use elite players around him. Imagine prime Karlsson on the ice with Prime Pizza line? He would be scoring like Coffey. Heck Pizza line mostly played with Phillips-Volchenkov!

Stone is so noticeable on the ice... On both offence AND defence. You can tell he sees the game at a very high level and has great anticipation and intelligence. Combine it with grit and a high compete level. Reminds me of a bigger, slower Alfredsson that is not as dynamic...however... In my experience it seems cerebral players of his type keep improving year after year after year.. Even into their 30's. Hope he does.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
It is the difference between Spezza and Gretzky or Crosby. Spezza has elite vision... But he lacks the ability to see where his teammates will be. Especially with poorer linemates. Alfie and Heatley had elite IQ's... Knew how to anticipate Spezza anticipating them. Crosby is better at playing with less skilled/smart players then Spezza (obviously). Gretzky had a complete sense of anything that would happen on the ice. It didn't really matter all that much if his linemate is Kurri or a far less smart or skilled player... He would find a way for them to score.

IQ is hard to really measure. A guy like Robitaille scored a ton of goals for 15 years+... Completely lacking speed. Sometimes with great linemates, sometimes as by far the best player on his line. He knew EXACTLY where to be to score all the time. Far more important then his skills or even his shot.

Karlsson could really use elite players around him. Imagine prime Karlsson on the ice with Prime Pizza line? He would be scoring like Coffey. Heck Pizza line mostly played with Phillips-Volchenkov!

Stone is so noticeable on the ice... On both offence AND defence. You can tell he sees the game at a very high level and has great anticipation and intelligence. Combine it with grit and a high compete level. Reminds me of a bigger, slower Alfredsson that is not as dynamic...however... In my experience it seems cerebral players of his type keep improving year after year after year.. Even into their 30's. Hope he does.

I would have stone in the upper echelon of hockey IQs on this team. You can see he is making plays just based on his smarts. He's not turning in after burners and catching up to someone after makin a mistake. He's not blowing by defenders through sheer ohysical ability. I would say it's stone, Turris, karlsson.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
I would be over the moon if the Sens got a 2nd round pick and a prospect for Phillips. I do not think he is likely to return that much, though. Especially given that he will have a year remaining on his contract.

At 2 mil, if a team is trading for him at the deadline they should have faith in him for the next season. I agree we won't get that much, but I think we could get a potential NHL prospect for him (which would be a huge win imo)

Blotto71

May 12, 2013
Over There
At 2 mil, if a team is trading for him at the deadline they should have faith in him for the next season. I agree we won't get that much, but I think we could get a potential NHL prospect for him (which would be a huge win imo)

Agreed. And given the finer points :))) of Phillips game, there should be suitors.

Blotto71

May 12, 2013
Over There
Phillips will never be traded along as BM is our GM

I think if a legit contender expressed interest Phillips would very much consider being a "rental" and then retiring - have to think he'd like a picture of himself holding the cup hanging behind the bar.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Fish wanted out.

No. Fisher wanted to be a career Senator. He cried the day he was traded. He built a house here WITH Carrie, and they were both beyond happy to spend the rest of Mike's career here.

We were re-tooling/re-building, and we needed to move him for assets. It's as simple as that. The only place he wanted to play OTHER THAN OTTAWA was Nashville, because of Carrie's career, and Murray obliged him.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
No. Fisher wanted to be a career Senator. He cried the day he was traded. He built a house here WITH Carrie, and they were both beyond happy to spend the rest of Mike's career here.

We were re-tooling/re-building, and we needed to move him for assets. It's as simple as that. The only place he wanted to play OTHER THAN OTTAWA was Nashville, because of Carrie's career, and Murray obliged him.

Yip. Him and Chris Kelly were the pieces we were willing to move that had good value. He did not want to be moved as I remember as well.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
phillips wont be moved he is well respected in the locker room and could be the first life-time senator

there is very little upside in trading phillips

this team needs to trim off some guys like Smith, Condra and Greening

then again there isn't really a rush to bring anyone up from bingo outside of Pageau when lazar comes back

If you can find a move that improves the sens going into next year then you do it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad