Proposal: 2014/15 Season Trade Rumours and Proposals vol. IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Hockey IQ. The thing that everyone talks about and yet nobody seems to have a clue about.

If you play in the NHL, you have incredibly honed hockey IQ.

Yes, but we don't compare the dexterity of a heart surgeon to that of a garbage man because that muddles the context instead of clarifying it.

Hockey IQ is pretty easy to see, its about the ability to capitalize on any room or time afforded to you, and to make the best possible play in any given situation. If you chalk everything up to a lack or an abundance of hockey IQ, you lose site of the picture but you can still speak in semi-specific terms and say that Shayne Corson lacked the hockey IQ of Sergei Fedorov.

Karlsson2Turris*

He's ridiculously skilled but his lack of iq will hold him back.

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperDuper101

May 15, 2013
He's ridiculously skilled but his lack of iq will hold him back.

I think this kinda funny, I think Hoffman has great hockey IQ. He's excellent at finding the soft spots in the offensive zone, often uses his skill to get into good areas of the ice better than most other players we have, is very quick to get his shot off and doesn't second guess doing so. I'd say he actually uses what he's given very well. If there is something that's going to get better with time for him it's confidence. The more command and power he feels in this league the more hockey IQ you're going to see from him. Suggesting he doesn't have hockey IQ is hilarious.

If I was thinking about our team in terms of hockey IQ:
1. Karlsson
2. Stone
3. Turris
4. MacArthur
5. Ryan
6. Hoffman
7. Zibanejad

Probably in that order. I might be selling Turris and Ryan short a bit in the rankings. Honestly though Hoff displays good IQ on the ice.

The key question for me with hockey IQ is always:

"How often does a play die on this players stick because they either give the puck away or do something less than optimal with it"

The answer to that Q for Hoffman is not very often. Compare it to guys like Neil, Condra, Smith, etc... it's night and day. He might not be elite Crosby level Hockey IQ, but I'd say Hoffman is probably in the top 33% of the league, probably top 25% of guys who are smart with the puck on their stick. There is a reason he has great corsi and a high % of his points at even strength you know.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Thank you! Just because something is quantifiable, doesnt mean its useful. I can tell you I drank liquid 50 times today... you can tell me I'll have to pee in a bit, but you can't tell me for certain that I'm drunk.

My entire job is data analytics and integrity. Data is only as good as the context you put it in and actually advise people of its limitations. That's why bandwagon analytics people annoy me. It's nice that the whole subject is in the mainstream now, but with the mainstream comes tons of misconceptions.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think this kinda funny, I think Hoffman has great hockey IQ. He's excellent at finding the soft spots in the offensive zone, often uses his skill to get into good areas of the ice better than most other players we have, is very quick to get his shot off and doesn't second guess doing so. I'd say he actually uses what he's given very well. If there is something that's going to get better with time for him it's confidence. The more command and power he feels in this league the more hockey IQ you're going to see from him. Suggesting he doesn't have hockey IQ is hilarious.

1. Karlsson
2. Stone
3. Turris
4. MacArthur
5. Ryan
6. Hoffman
7. Zibanejad

Probably in that order. I might be selling Turris and Ryan short a bit in the rankings. Honestly though Hoff displays good IQ on the ice.

"How often does a play die on this players stick because they either give the puck away or do something less than optimal with it"

The answer to that Q for Hoffman is not very often. Compare it to guys like Neil, Condra, Smith, etc... it's night and day. He might not be elite Crosby level Hockey IQ, but I'd say Hoffman is probably in the top 33% of the league, probably top 25% of guys who are smart with the puck on their stick. There is a reason he has great corsi and a high % of his points at even strength you know.

I would say Turris has a higher IQ than karlsson. (If were actually having this discussion, I think IQ is something very few of us here know how to measure) Karlsson is an absolute go getter. He's faster than 99% of te league. That's a big part of his game, he's not exactly cerebral with the puck.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

1. Karlsson
2. Stone
3. Turris
4. MacArthur
5. Ryan
6. Hoffman
7. Zibanejad

I disagree with some placements in your list but whats it say that all of them are forwards except Karlsson? We need some pmds who can think the game and play cerebral both defensively and offensively

Last edited:

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
I disagree with some placements in your list but whats it say that all of them our forwards except Karlsson? We need some pmds who can think the game and play cerebral both defensively and offensively

I think it says that he isnt independently evaluating hockey IQ.

Chris Phillips has incredible hockey IQ. It is why he has been so successful in the NHL for so long. Just because his body is no longer at a level where he can be effective for us, that doesn't mean his IQ has gone. And this is where it gets so difficult to evaluate.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I'm Drunk.

I'm getting there.

Ryan has some pretty high IQ I think. The difference is, Ryan has the skill do DO something with the space he is afforded. IMO Condra has some great hockey IQ too. always in the right places at the right times. He just doesn't have the skills to do much after receiving the puck.

I would say Turris has a higher IQ than karlsson. (If were actually having this discussion, I think IQ is something very few of us here know how to measure) Karlsson is an absolute go getter. He's faster than 99% of te league. That's a big part of his game, he's not exactly cerebral with the puck.

No way. EK is one of those players who sees and plays the game on a different level than anyone else around him.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I'm getting there.

Ryan has some pretty high IQ I think. The difference is, Ryan has the skill do DO something with the space he is afforded. IMO Condra has some great hockey IQ too. always in the right places at the right times. He just doesn't have the skills to do much after receiving the puck.

No way. EK is one of those players who sees and plays the game on a different level than anyone else around him.

He skates faster than everyone around him. (I'm not saying he has "low" hockey IQ. Just not as high as some would say. He super fast and has amazing hands for a defenceman. Which maybe gives off the illusion.

Like I said. He's a go getter. He's ferocious. He attacks you at top speed. But he runs around. Especially defensively. If you're a defenceman and you're running around sometimes like a chicken then that speak to your hockey IQ. I believe. If karlsson was as fast as I dono a slower defenceman. Could he rely on just his brain to play defence and to be aware and to always make the right decisions with the puck? I don't personally think so.

* and I get his speed is a big part of his game and you can't take it away. But were talking IQ. Just his head.

Datsyuk Crosby Lidstrom. (I know they're the best of the best but just example) take away some of their physical abilities, and they'll still be effective. By just their minds.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad