Clune-Gaustad-Bourque
Nystrom

Weber-Josi
Volchenkov-Jones
Ellis-Ekholm

Rinne
Hutton

BOOOOOM!!

Make Clune the permascratch and I agree with the lineup. Nystrom isn't much of an improvement, but he is an improvement IMO.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
I have to say, while that isn't the sexiest lineup in the NHL the scoring depth is MUCH better than at the beginning of last season. Add a full season of Rinne, the defense coming along ... if Jones can take a stride forward this year and Ellis can play like he did late last year, wow, this could be an interesting season.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
Neal-Ribeiro-Stalberg
Wilson-Roy-Smith
Jokinen-Jarnkrok-Forsberg/Cullen
Clune-Gaustad-Bourque
Nystrom

Weber-Josi
Volchenkov-Jones
Ellis-Ekholm

Rinne
Hutton

BOOOOOM!!

I really think Cullen will center the third line and leave that right wing slot for Jokinen/Stalberg/Jarnkrok/Forsberg. Aside from that those lines look great and way better than I thought they would look going into camp. The thing is this team still isn't a cup contender and even if we make the playoffs will not be able to handle LA/Hawks/Blues/Sharks in the playoffs.

Nashville Transplant

Feb 28, 2013
Nash/LA
I really think Cullen will center the third line and leave that right wing slot for Jokinen/Stalberg/Jarnkrok/Forsberg. Aside from that those lines look great and way better than I thought they would look going into camp. The thing is this team still isn't a cup contender and even if we make the playoffs will not be able to handle LA/Hawks/Blues/Sharks in the playoffs.

News Flash: Sharks aren't gonna make the playoffs :)

WartracePred

Sep 29, 2009
Someone please tell me why Stalberg deserves1st or 2nd line minutes? He has speed. That's about all he's shown. He doesn't finish very often. Once he has the puck on his stick flying down the boards, he isn't strong enough to build a wall, shielding the puck before he shoots. He isn't strong battling for pucks along the boards. Doesn't pass exceptionally well. Not a set up guy. His shot is average, at best. Basically he's a skill guy who wasn't good enough for top 6 minutes in Chicago. He wasn't good enough for Trotz. And I'll be stunned if he's better than 6 other skilled forwards on the current roster. Neal, Smith, Ribiero, Wilson, Jokinen, Roy, & Jarnkrok are all better. I'd even say Bourque and Nystrom are a step head because they're more versatile. At least they're more physical and can battle for pucks.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Someone please tell me why Stalberg deserves1st or 2nd line minutes? He has speed. That's about all he's shown. He doesn't finish very often. Once he has the puck on his stick flying down the boards, he isn't strong enough to build a wall, shielding the puck before he shoots. He isn't strong battling for pucks along the boards. Doesn't pass exceptionally well. Not a set up guy. His shot is average, at best. Basically he's a skill guy who wasn't good enough for top 6 minutes in Chicago. He wasn't good enough for Trotz. And I'll be stunned if he's better than 6 other skilled forwards on the current roster. Neal, Smith, Ribiero, Wilson, Jokinen, Roy, & Jarnkrok are all better. I'd even say Bourque and Nystrom are a step head because they're more versatile. At least they're more physical and can battle for pucks.

Because rather than shooting, he will have a better chance if he has someone to pass to. Having Gaustad and Clune does not help when it comes to passing, therefore shooting was his only option. How about we try to use his speed to break in, then pass the puck back to Neal or Smith.

Also it wasn't that he wasn't good enough for Trotz, I truly believe that Trotz never was truly thrilled with the signing, therefore he misused him.

Privy

#ShutUpStu
Nov 25, 2011

Stålberg was misused by Trotz from the beginning. You could tell throughout the season that Stålberg was not happy, although he never said anything about it or caused any issues. He is not a 4th liner. He needs skill around him to produce. With his speed he will be able to carry the puck into the zone (no more dump and chase) and he'll be able to back up the defense with his speed. This will clear some room for his linemates.

Plus, we're stuck with him for a few more seasons. He will not produce with Guastad and Nystrom. That's not a knock on Stålberg, it's just a fact. He never should have been on the 4th line. Since he's here, we might as well give him a shot at doing what we signed him to do, score goals and create offensive chances. With his speed he's guaranteed plenty of breakaways a season. With the confidence of playing with skilled players he should be in a better mindset and perform better when closing in on the goalie. I can see him performing very well in Lavy's system.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I get it with stalberg, maybe he will be good. But I still think we have six better top six players than him.
I would rather see a top six of Neal, smith, jarnkrok, forsberg, ribeiro and Roy/Wilson. I would probably think jokinen could produce more than stalberg in top six role. If stalberg performs under lavi on a top 9 role then maybe give him a shot if one of the top six are in a slump.
But he has to earn it.

WartracePred

Sep 29, 2009
Stålberg was misused by Trotz from the beginning. You could tell throughout the season that Stålberg was not happy, although he never said anything about it or caused any issues. He is not a 4th liner. He needs skill around him to produce. With his speed he will be able to carry the puck into the zone (no more dump and chase) and he'll be able to back up the defense with his speed. This will clear some room for his linemates.

Plus, we're stuck with him for a few more seasons. He will not produce with Guastad and Nystrom. That's not a knock on Stålberg, it's just a fact. He never should have been on the 4th line. Since he's here, we might as well give him a shot at doing what we signed him to do, score goals and create offensive chances. With his speed he's guaranteed plenty of breakaways a season. With the confidence of playing with skilled players he should be in a better mindset and perform better when closing in on the goalie. I can see him performing very well in Lavy's system.

Again, his game didn't produce in CHI with skilled players. He wasn't happy with Quenville. He wasn't happy with Trotz. He's a one trick pony who can't process coaching criticism. The thing that bothers me most about the guy happened last year when the Preds were losing big late in the 3rd period. He was laughing on ice with one of other teams players. His teammates were visibly angry about losing. He didn't give a damn.

gela

Dec 26, 2013
Nashville
Again, his game didn't produce in CHI with skilled players. He wasn't happy with Quenville. He wasn't happy with Trotz. He's a one trick pony who can't process coaching criticism. The thing that bothers me most about the guy happened last year when the Preds were losing big late in the 3rd period. He was laughing on ice with one of other teams players. His teammates were visibly angry about losing. He didn't give a damn.

I'm not a Stalberg fan by any means, but he did produce at a 20 goal pace in Chicago, and he should be able to replicate that in an offensive system if he's not skating with Gaustad et al. Poile thinking he could produce at a higher rate was definitely misguided, but 20 goals for us is nothing to sneeze at. His defensive game was also leaps and bounds better as the year progressed, so while perhaps he doesn't have a "good attitude" for coaches (his rep for cursing at them in Swedish etc) I don't think he's uncoachable.

I didn't see that incident, but I don't know how much stock I would put in it anyway.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA

I honestly don't think he was, I think it was a matter of the Chicago fans being right wrt Stalberg; 1 20 goal season since he's been in the league is kind of damning, particularly with the amount of talent on the squads he was playing on.

braindead

Jul 14, 2005
The cookie spoke
I agree. He flopped on his own and he will flop under PL. Having a "offensive system" does not mean PL will be happy with what victor brings or will be able to get more out of him.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
He may be a flop, and may not do any better than he did, but going into camp, heck even the season you gotta give the guy a chance to do what you paid him to do.

Poile signed him for the offensive potential, but whether he deserved it or not Trotz never really gave him that chance. We've all said for years that one of Trotz's downsides is that he uses some guys incorrectly and makes some odd ball choices.

If Lavy comes in and sees the same thing, I expect to see Poile try and do some form of salary dump, or heck just buy him out at seasons end. If he does nothing he is just chewing up a roster spot.

However, you still gotta give the guy a chance to prove himself, and whether you like him or not, Trotz sure as hell didn't give much of any kind of chance.

SeventyOneTN

Oct 26, 2009
He may be a flop, and may not do any better than he did, but going into camp, heck even the season you gotta give the guy a chance to do what you paid him to do.

Poile signed him for the offensive potential, but whether he deserved it or not Trotz never really gave him that chance. We've all said for years that one of Trotz's downsides is that he uses some guys incorrectly and makes some odd ball choices.

If Lavy comes in and sees the same thing, I expect to see Poile try and do some form of salary dump, or heck just buy him out at seasons end. If he does nothing he is just chewing up a roster spot.

However, you still gotta give the guy a chance to prove himself, and whether you like him or not, Trotz sure as hell didn't give much of any kind of chance.

I don't buy the didn't give him a chance arguments. He was given a chance. I am sure he would have had better production on the first line, but with the minutes he did have he did very little. Things have to be earned. Maybe Trotz didn't do a good job of masking his inadequacies, but at the end of the day he wasn't very good.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
If Jones can just maintain that wc form, he will be awesome

If he were to maintain his scoring form over a full season wouldn't he have 113 points? :P

But yeah, if he can play as well as he did there, even scoring at a much lower rate (say, .49 PPG instead of 1.375 PPG, or 40 points), I think we're in for a treat just watching him alone.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I don't buy the didn't give him a chance arguments. He was given a chance. I am sure he would have had better production on the first line, but with the minutes he did have he did very little. Things have to be earned. Maybe Trotz didn't do a good job of masking his inadequacies, but at the end of the day he wasn't very good.

Well lets see, lets put Neal on a line with Gaustad and Clune for a good chunk of a season and lets see how he turns out. My guess is it wouldn't be a whole lot better than Stalberg did.

Its pretty odd to me that we get a guy like Neal and no one has a problem throwing him on the top line. Yet Stalberg needed to work up from the 4th line and earn it?

Am I a huge fan of Stalberg? Absolutely not. Do I think the guy really got a fair shake with Trotz and Co.? Definitely not.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Well lets see, lets put Neal on a line with Gaustad and Clune for a good chunk of a season and lets see how he turns out. My guess is it wouldn't be a whole lot better than Stalberg did.

Its pretty odd to me that we get a guy like Neal and no one has a problem throwing him on the top line. Yet Stalberg needed to work up from the 4th line and earn it?

Am I a huge fan of Stalberg? Absolutely not. Do I think the guy really got a fair shake with Trotz and Co.? Definitely not.

I think the truth falls somewhere in between what you're saying. He didn't deserve to be put with Clune and Goose but Neal is a proven top 3 forward in this league, Stalberg is not. He should've been on the 2nd or 3rd line and been getting 15 minutes or so a night. If he produced more, more minutes, if he didn't, reduce his minutes.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Ok let me ask this to those questioning where some have ranked Stalberg. And this is in no way to come to any player's defense, more curiosity than anything else. Looking through this thread, it seems the top 3 mentioned on the top line with Neal and Ribeiro are Wilson, Cullen and Stalberg. Yet Stalberg is the only one called out/questioned as to why does he deserve to be there. What makes Wilson deserve to be on the top line? Wilson is in a make or break it year and hasn't really done anything other than shown flashes of potential and that's it.

Personally I don't care who goes where as that's up to the coach, I just hope that Nystrom and Clune stay on the 4th line. Neither should be any higher than that.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Agree on Nystrom and Clune.

Hipcheck is going to hate me for saying this but I don't know why Nystrom has a roster spot. He doesn't hit like Tootoo, can't fight and is horrible on the backcheck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad