League News: 2014-15 Around the League Thread 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Cody Eakin 15 for 23 in the dot last night, 65% faceoff. On top of that with the game winner and on ice at critical times against the Isles.

If only . . .

Those two McPhee trades (Eakin/Forsburg), changed the complexion of the Caps significantly and the team's future.

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Forsburg
Johansson - Kuznetsov - Brouwer
Laich - Eakin - Fehr
Chimera - Beagle - Ward

Burakovsky and Wilson would both be logging time at Hershey where they would be properly developing and our attention would be solely focused on fixing the 2nd line. Wilson would be slotted into Ward's spot after this season and Burakovsky into Brouwer's spot in another year. That's what having a plan would look like.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
I don't recall many being upset at the Eakin deal. It brought a much needed #2C for the first time in GMGM's time at the helm. You should be able to find good #3C without too much effort.

Forsberg was a desperate, job saving attempt and made zero sense. Depth at RW as justification was hilarious. That one will sting for some time.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
If ifs and buts were candy and nuts....

I know I'm late to the party on souring on GMGM, but people want it both ways with him. He got blasted for hoarding his nuts. Now he's getting blasted for moving a couple that ended up being productive NHLers. In retrospect the Caps ended up on the short end of the stick on both, especially on the Forsberg deal, but they did get some value from the Eakin deal. He was moved to address the specific issue you cite above. It just didn't work out long-term.

What if he moved all-in for Pronger and Pronger got hurt like he did? What would the lineup look like without Carlson/Alzner/Varlamov? (We'll have to use the value of Varlamov at the time. We know how that series of trades ended up)

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
If ifs and buts were candy and nuts....

I know I'm late to the party on souring on GMGM, but people want it both ways with him. He got blasted for hoarding his nuts. Now he's getting blasted for moving a couple that ended up being productive NHLers. In retrospect the Caps ended up on the short end of the stick on both, especially on the Forsberg deal, but they did get some value from the Eakin deal. He was moved to address the specific issue you cite above. It just didn't work out long-term.

What if he moved all-in for Pronger and Pronger got hurt like he did? What would the lineup look like without Carlson/Alzner/Varlamov? (We'll have to use the value of Varlamov at the time. We know how that series of trades ended up)

It's not a conflict of principles or any kind of hypocrisy. It was a horribly bad hockey deal and they criminally underrated Forsberg as a prospect (and Erat as a pickup) when most everyone here knew better.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
If Luongo prognosis not good, FLA GM Dale Tallon may trade for goalie. Trades are permitted post-deadline but player not playoff eligible.

I did not know that.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
If Luongo prognosis not good, FLA GM Dale Tallon may trade for goalie. Trades are permitted post-deadline but player not playoff eligible.

I did not know that.

I learned something new.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
It's not a conflict of principles or any kind of hypocrisy. It was a horribly bad hockey deal and they criminally underrated Forsberg as a prospect (and Erat as a pickup) when most everyone here knew better.
Maybe I was unclear. I wasn't arguing that the Forsberg deal wasn't a disaster. I was looking at McPhee's tendencies and people's criticisms of them in a broader sense.

I disagree with you, but we're probably steering the thread off-topic so I'll leave it be.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

But then again he got Carlson for Eminger. I'd say those even out.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
I stand corrected on trading after the deadline. It has to be a free agent signing, not a trade. My mistake.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
What a friggin idiot lmao
He's one of the most respected journalists covering the game. I definitely don't have the credentials to be calling him an idiot.

What's your twitter handle? Sounds like I'm following the wrong guy.

NoLookPass

Jan 16, 2014
Whats make the Eakin/Ribs trade worse is the fact that Ribeiro should have been sold at the following deadline. If GMGM realized he needed to sell at the time and didn't force the Erat trade and sold Ribs this team is a different (probably better) team because of it.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Whats make the Eakin/Ribs trade worse is the fact that Ribeiro should have been sold at the following deadline. If GMGM realized he needed to sell at the time and didn't force the Erat trade and sold Ribs this team is a different (probably better) team because of it.

And who was going to play 2C in the playoffs when they sold Ribs?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Using the miracle of 20/20 hindsight does it really matter...?

Yeah, it does. A team in playoff contention isn't going to sell it's 2C at the TDL unless it has a viable replacement or said player has said he won't resign. They wanted to resign Ribs, Ribs wanted to stay, Caps offered him a fair deal, and he took the money else where.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
The Eakin and Forsberg trades are apples and oranges. The Eakin deal was at a minimum defendable at the time it was made, and was arguably a pretty good deal for a position of need for the Caps.

The Forsberg deal was an instant disaster to anyone who knows anything about hockey prospect valuation and the TDL market.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Yeah, it does. A team in playoff contention isn't going to sell it's 2C at the TDL unless it has a viable replacement or said player has said he won't resign. They wanted to resign Ribs, Ribs wanted to stay, Caps offered him a fair deal, and he took the money else where.

I'm joking. Of course we know now since the Caps crashed out early and Ribiero walked for nothing they should have dealt him away at the deadline.

I mean heck knowing what we know now you could make a strong argument they should have traded the entire team away after the Habs loss. Can you imagine the haul they would have received...?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I'm joking. Of course we know now since the Caps crashed out early and Ribiero walked for nothing they should have dealt him away at the deadline.

I mean heck knowing what we know now you could make a strong argument they should have traded the entire team away after the Habs loss. Can you imagine the haul they would have received...?

My bad, thought you were the one advocating trading Ribs at the deadline.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Oops, thought they missed the playoffs that year, missed it by one. My mistake.

No worries. I think we would have made the playoffs last year if Grabo didn't get hurt. But if making the playoffs and flaming out in the first round meant McFail and Oates got another chance this year, I'd say last season was a huge success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad