League News: 2014-15 Around the League III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
I don't have the time or inclination to look it up, but beyond the ones on the list, were there any young players that were eligible to be signed in that timeframe that would have fit the bill? I don't know how the timing works in regards to when teams and players can sign contracts and extensions or if there were limits on how long you could sign RFAs for.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
Feel free to point out players that could have been smartly locked up on the cheap.

I'll volunteer Moulson and Callahan, but you really wouldn't be saving all that much money. Boychuk made sense if you had a crystal ball.

There were some good players signed that offseason that would've made sense to lock up. Zajac is a possibility, Plekanec, Yandle, Hamhuis, Gaborik. Marleau's not on the list you linked to because he signed in mid-June, but he would've made sense too.

In 2011 you had guys like Weber, Parise, Thornton, Backes, Semin, Markov.

So there were plenty of players in that era that teams could've given back-diving contracts to, but chose not to.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
There were some good players signed that offseason that would've made sense to lock up. Zajac is a possibility, Plekanec, Yandle, Hamhuis, Gaborik. Marleau's not on the list you linked to because he signed in mid-June, but he would've made sense too.

In 2011 you had guys like Weber, Parise, Thornton, Backes, Semin, Markov.

So there were plenty of players in that era that teams could've given back-diving contracts to, but chose not to.

I'd put an end date on the party 7/2/2010 when the Kovalchuk contract was nixed.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I'd put an end date on the party 7/2/2010 when the Kovalchuk contract was nixed.

Possibly but why was that contract nixed, just because it was a back diving deal and the league had had enough or because it was an absurdly back diving deal? I'd argue the latter.

When did they actually put the rules in place, the last CBA, so after the lockout?

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011

The Bryzgalov contract was signed in summer of 2011. The last two years on that one were 2.25M and 1.25M. Also, the deal Kovy actually ended up signing still had some pretty significant bogus years in it. The last 6 years would all be illegal under the new rules. The really blatant stuff might have been over by then, but the party wasn't finished.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Possibly but why was that contract nixed, just because it was a back diving deal and the league had had enough or because it was an absurdly back diving deal? I'd argue the latter.

When did they actually put the rules in place, the last CBA, so after the lockout?

The new CBA had the 7 year term limit (8 for your own players) and reduced the year-to-year movement from 50% to 20%. However, as I pointed out on the previous page, the NHL had already investigated multiple deals (Hossa, Louongo) prior to the Kovalchuk deal and re-investigated them afterwards. An arbiter agreed with the league that Kovalchuk's deal was designed to circumvent the salary cap. Yes, it was the most egregious of those deals, but I also think it served as a warning shot to anyone who would try and pull those shenanigans again. The NHL now had shown that arbitration could side with them for the implicit purpose of the rules, rather than only the explicitly stated. Ehrhoff is really the only contract signed after Kovalchuk that fits the mold, and even then it expired for him before he hit 40. Maybe you could argue Weber's, but he was offer sheeted and the front-loading was more Philadelphia trying to screw over Nashville so they wouldn't match.

There really only are a handful of players who got the back-diving deals, and the results have been mixed. So far, Hossa and Zetterberg look like ideal scenarios (though recapture risk looms over both franchises). Kipper worked out pretty well for Calgary, though they never got a good team out of it. Luongo soured in Vancouver long before his contract expired. Kovalchuk cost the Devils a draft pick, and then "retired" out of his deal. Pronger has made it impossible for Philly to bank cap space (and should be a much bigger burden if the NHL followed their own CBA), though that was likely to happen anyway given that it's Ed Snider's team. Franzen might not ever play again, so we'll see if he ends up floating on Detroit's LTIR forever. Buffalo bought out Ehrhoff after paying him the bulk of his deal.

So looking at it all, only Chicago has really been able to convert the returns into a Stanley Cup. And most of these deals have had mixed results or worse.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
So looking at it all, only Chicago has really been able to convert the returns into a Stanley Cup. And most of these deals have had mixed results or worse.

The Kings have three players with contracts that are illegal by today's standards - Carter, Richards, and Quick. Admittedly they only signed one of those deals, but they're still saving a little over 3M/year with the illegal years.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The Kings have three players with contracts that are illegal by today's standards - Carter, Richards, and Quick. Admittedly they only signed one of those deals, but they're still saving a little over 3M/year with the illegal years.

All of those deals are long, but none of them are built to reduce AAV by tacking on years where the player is going to be retired. They're simply a more traditional trade of term against cap hit. It's a fundamentally different type of contract, and certainly not a circumvention of the salary cap or the CBA under which they were signed.

Not to mention Richards was demoted to the AHL.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
What's up with the Blackhawks playing Cumiskey and scratching Rundblad, Rosival, and Timonen?

Timonen is finished, and hasn't been effective in the limited minutes he's been given. I remember when half this board pitched a tizzy fit that the Capitals didn't acquire him.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Timonen is finished, and hasn't been effective in the limited minutes he's been given. I remember when half this board pitched a tizzy fit that the Capitals didn't acquire him.

Yep and this is also why the Hawks will be in the market for D this summer. On the AM drive yesterday listening to XM and they were discussing Timonen and that the Hawks (Quenneville) were not enamored with Runblad's play and that the Hawks could not move forward with just 4 d-men soaking up all the minutes next season.

Connor Carrick grew up around Chicago. He and Madison Bowey are both right handed shooting D-men with Carrick one year older. Who has the higher ceiling?

I'd might consider Carrick as part of a trade to the Hawks for Sharp. I'm not for moving our first round pick though. I could live with MAJO and Carrick for Sharp though.

2nd line of Sharp - Kuznetsov - Burakovsky

Though I'm sure Bowman and the Hawks would like to recoup the 1st round pick that they surrendered in the Vermette trade.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Yep and this is also why the Hawks will be in the market for D this summer. On the AM drive yesterday listening to XM and they were discussing Timonen and that the Hawks (Quenneville) were not enamored with Runblad's play and that the Hawks could not move forward with just 4 d-men soaking up all the minutes next season.

Connor Carrick grew up around Chicago. He and Madison Bowey are both right handed shooting D-men with Carrick one year older. Who has the higher ceiling?

I'd might consider Carrick as part of a trade to the Hawks for Sharp. I'm not for moving our first round pick though. I could live with MAJO and Carrick for Sharp though.

2nd line of Sharp - Kuznetsov - Burakovsky

Though I'm sure Bowman and the Hawks would like to recoup the 1st round pick that they surrendered in the Vermette trade.

If gmbm trades bowey for sharp he deserves to be fired imo

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I think posters can be forgiven for not making a mad dash for the Vrbata train.
Agree with that also. I would be for Oshie or maybe Eriksson.

Realistically, they're not one piece away. They are very many slight, subtle improvements away as an organization and they're not exclusively personnel-related. They need to become far more of a possession team before they can hope to have the sort of endurance necessary to make it all the way through. Counting on any forward in their 30's as the solution with a general status quo mentality will not change things much in the short-term.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Agree with that also. I would be for Oshie or maybe Eriksson.

Realistically, they're not one piece away. They are very many slight, subtle improvements away as an organization and they're not exclusively personnel-related. They need to become far more of a possession team before they can hope to have the sort of endurance necessary to make it all the way through. Counting on any forward in their 30's as the solution with a general status quo mentality will not change things much in the short-term.

I'd still rather a past his prime Sharp than a guy who's most impressive postseason type performance came in the shootout or a guy who you could best describe as an enigma.

But I agree that one player isn't going to change anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad