League News: 2014-15 Around the League III

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Fitting that we got Trotz as coach heh.

Watching the Hawks, GD Kane is out there seemingly endlessly. He would crush the turtle if we ever got a lead, had we eeked out 2 more game 7 coin flip games.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Sure but that's a separate issue aside from what they currently spend on D/G. I'd certainly love to move on from both players so that they can field more of a lineup that likes to play smart offensive hockey.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Tyler Johnson & Ondrej Palat both played two seasons in the AHL. Don't rush it. Don't force it. That's a hard plan to execute in practice when teams need wins and can't afford to wait until a player is ready. Cooper's usage of Drouin being a prime example.

Beyond the whole conservative NHL approach there's the matter of whether there is a competent AHL developmental approach as well but from a physical standpoint I don't expect either Vrana or Barber to be ready. Bowey maybe could be physically but I'd hope they don't go into next fall with either Carrick or Bowey at 3RD due to handedness.

I'd pencil in Galiev depending on their RW moves and desire to get Wilson moved up the lineup. I don't expect any other rookies with the team in the fall. Maybe later on as needed. None of them should be relied upon to the point where they have to scramble if they're not ready.

Forgot about Galiev. He certainly looked like he belonged in his brief showing.

While a guy like Barber is a rookie he is 21 and played against bigger college age kids.

I agree you can't rely upon them. But you can reasonably rely upon Bura and the kids who were here last year. But still its not out of the realm of possibility that Vrana or Barber make the team with an impressive showing in preseason.

Vrana's czech teamate Pastrnak looked excellent with the Bruins. More and more young kids are making an impact in the league these days.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Tampa Bay currently has ~$30M locked up next season in D/G.

Chicago has $22mil+ locked up in 3D+G (Keith, Seabrook, Crawford and Hjarlmszsjsjsskjn). Granted those guys for the most part are on excellent deals.

D/G is the most important component of a team. They represent 8 out of 20 skaters who get a sweater on a nightly basis. Thats 40%.

40% of a 70 mil cap is 28mil. Its not unreasonable to spend $30 mil on those 8 players.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Pens still look lost. Said they're letting Martin and Erhoff go and investing in wingers. Its a horrible year for UFA wingers as we all know and their top pairing is injury prone Letang and Maatta. Their other defensemen are rookies or very ordinary. Ticking off the years of Crosby and Malkins prime.

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
Pens still look lost. Said they're letting Martin and Erhoff go and investing in wingers. Its a horrible year for UFA wingers as we all know and their top pairing is injury prone Letang and Maatta. Their other defensemen are rookies or very ordinary. Ticking off the years of Crosby and Malkins prime.

If they miss the playoffs because of Rutherford, I'd be so happy. Guys a dam fool.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I love the direction the Pens are going. The only way it could get better is if they trade Geno.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm still interested in the offer sheet situations - would, say, Buffalo approach Haimlton with a 1st 2nd & 3rd worth offer sheet simply to screw over the B's? Not sure what they'd gain from it.

Buffalo would be hugely gambling on immediate improvement from the team. If Buffalo's first is coming back on an offer sheet to somebody, I'd strongly consider taking it. That could very well be a top 5 selection next season (if not #1/2).

Offer sheets to screw over a team really only make sense if you're doing what San Jose did to Niemi/Hjalmarsson. Sign one to an offer sheet just large enough that the original team has to make a decision and let one of the two go.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'm still interested in the offer sheet situations - would, say, Buffalo approach Haimlton with a 1st 2nd & 3rd worth offer sheet simply to screw over the B's? Not sure what they'd gain from it.

And why would the player sign it to be honest? I don't see the Sabres giving up high picks myself.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015...rs-antitrust-settlement-idUSL1N0YX2O620150611

The National Hockey league will permit fans to watch their favorite teams play outside their home markets, without having to pay extra for a league-wide bundle of games, as part of a settlement of a class action antitrust lawsuit.

The preliminary accord made public on Thursday resolves claims that the league, several teams, Comcast Corp, DirecTV and Madison Square Garden Co, used blackouts to limit out-of-market broadcasts of games.

Fans said this forced them to buy costly bundles of games they did not care about, rather than spend less to buy games "a la carte," if they wanted to want their preferred teams.

Under the settlement, the NHL will, for the next five years, offer a "Game Center Live" Internet package enabling fans to buy single-team packages for at least 20 percent below the cost of bundled packages.

The league will also discount "early bird," renewal and full season prices by an additional 17.25 percent for the 2015-2016 season, allowing a fan who now pays $159 for a game bundle to instead buy a single-team package for about $105.

The team defendants included the Buffalo Sabres, Chicago Blackhawks, New Jersey Devils, New York Islanders, New York Rangers, Pittsburgh Penguins, San Jose Sharks and Washington Capitals.

lol

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I hope they release pricing soon, so I can compare my options for next season. I like having access to all the games, but I watch the Caps far more often than any other team. If it saved me enough money I'd par it down (especially with blackout restrictions removed). Hockeystreams wasn't open for new members when I looked into it last season.

malyk

Apr 15, 2007
The City by the Bay
The question is still about blackouts. It ticks me off to no end to pay to watch the caps play, but then not be able to watch 20+ games because they are on nbc, nbcsn, or worst of all the nhl's own network.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I must of missed that part of the constitution where it says the government is allowed to tell you how to package your product.

Well aside from the fact that the government has always had some power to regulate business and commerce, this is a settlement of a class action lawsuit brought by fans, not the government. Which is ironic in relation to your comment because the pillar of most anti-government or pro-business philosophies is that the system should regulate itself via litigation, which is what is happening here.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I must of missed that part of the constitution where it says the government is allowed to tell you how to package your product.

Specifically Article 1, Section 8, Clause 3 of the U.S. Constitution gives Congress the power “to regulate commerce with foreign nations, and among the several states, and with the Indian tribes.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->