We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Cap hit:
Patrick Sharp- $5.9M
Loui Eriksson- $4.25M
Radim Vrbata- $5M
TJ Oshie- $4.175M

Oshie and Sharp have two years left. The other two will be UFAs after next season.

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
Indeed. This is not the droid you are looking for.

Watched the game last night, completely forgot Sharp was on the Blackhawks because it took so long for the announcers to say his name.

Played 11 minutes, that is our lucky golden ticket to play with OV & Backstrom.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Postseason Careers:

Patrick Sharp- 126 GP, 42g, 37a, 79p (prorated 27g, 24a, 51p)
Loui Eriksson- 34 GP, 6g, 8a, 14p (prorated 14g, 19a, 33p)
Radim Vrbata- 42 GP, 8g, 10a, 18p (prorated 16g, 20a, 36p)
TJ Oshie- 30 GP, 5g, 4a, 9p (prorated 14g, 11a, 25p)

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
LOL...maybe they need to start giving him ice time given they couldn't barely dent a goalie on one leg?

When I saw him, his speed was a noticeable positive.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Postseason Careers:

TJ Oshie- 30 GP, 5g, 4a, 9p (prorated 7g, 11a, 18p)
Do Brouwer!

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Postseason Careers:

TJ Oshie- 30 GP, 5g, 4a, 9p (prorated 7g, 11a, 18p)

Nice work, but I think your Oshie prorated g number is wrong.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Now, show that post-season stats have predictive value for future post-season results.

I for one am fine with assuming that veteran players who have historically struggled in the postseason will continue to do so.

But you're certainly welcome to hold out hope for the likes of Brouwer, Green, Johansson, Nash, Oshie etc.

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
I for one am fine with assuming that veteran players who have historically struggled in the postseason will continue to do so.

But you're certainly welcome to hold out hope for the likes of Brouwer, Green, Johansson, Nash, Oshie etc.

I don't think any of us are going to be happy with our options unless we get the likes of Simmonds or Eberle for free.

Eventually we'll see a trade or signing we'll rant about until opening night.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Give evidence to support it. If you're going to base your entire assessment of players on their post-season boxcar stats, show that those post-season stats matter in the future. Show that they carry more predictive value than regular season stats or possession metrics or age, etc. I'd have no problem with you using them within a broader analysis. When you cite them solely, I want evidence that they matter more than the other metrics.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Give evidence to support it. If you're going to base your entire assessment of players on their post-season boxcar stats, show that those post-season stats matter in the future. Show that they carry more predictive value than regular season stats or possession metrics or age, etc. I'd have no problem with you using them within a broader analysis. When you cite them solely, I want evidence that they matter more than the other metrics.

I don't care about proving anything. Like I said, you're welcome to hold out hope that Brouwer, Johansson, Green, Nash etc will turn it around. Let's add an Oshie to the mix and subtract a Ward. What could possibly go wrong?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't care about proving anything. Like I said, you're welcome to hold out hope that Brouwer, Johansson, Green, Nash etc will turn it around. Let's add an Oshie to the mix and subtract a Ward. What could possibly go wrong?

I'm more concerned with whether or a Patrick Sharp or Justin Williams with be worth the cost than I am with Rick Nash's future production in the playoffs. Let's spend $5.9M in cap space and multiple future assets on a slumping 33 year old playing a very limited role in the playoffs and committing costly penalties. What could possibly go wrong?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Let's add an Oshie to the mix and subtract a Ward. What could possibly go wrong?
One doesn't really have to lead to the other, particularly given that Oshie makes about $2M less than Sharp for instance. There's certainly much that can go wrong on Ward's next contract, though, unless he does indeed settle for a discount.

My reasoning on Oshie would be that he would be afforded a lot more space in the Eastern Conference and along with the plum 1RW spot it would mean more production. I am kind of baffled by his lack of PPG production over the years (career high of six in his rookie season) but if he were to get Brouwer's spot on the PP I can't see how he wouldn't top that figure. He would be a piece that could actually maybe grow with them whereas the "reliable" veteran options really just seem like uninspired convenient stopgaps. I'm open to other younger alternatives, of course.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
One doesn't really have to lead to the other, particularly given that Oshie makes about $2M less than Sharp for instance. There's certainly much that can go wrong on Ward's next contract, though, unless he does indeed settle for a discount.

My reasoning on Oshie would be that he would be afforded a lot more space in the Eastern Conference and along with the plum 1RW spot it would mean more production. I am kind of baffled by his lack of PPG production over the years (career high of six in his rookie season) but if he were to get Brouwer's spot on the PP I can't see how he wouldn't top that figure. He would be a piece that could actually maybe grow with them whereas the "reliable" veteran options really just seem like uninspired convenient stopgaps. I'm open to other younger alternatives, of course.

I'll tell you how he doesn't get more than 6, he refuses to shoot! :laugh: :laugh:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I'm more concerned with whether or a Patrick Sharp or Justin Williams with be worth the cost than I am with Rick Nash's future production in the playoffs. Let's spend $5.9M in cap space and multiple future assets on a slumping 33 year old playing a very limited role in the playoffs and committing costly penalties. What could possibly go wrong?

Exactly.

Old declining players are not the way to go.

It would be a panic move and most certainly could backfire easily.

But at the same time guys like Oshie aren't what we need either.

I see alot of good young players playing big roles for both Chicago and Tampa. Thats where its at. Our own young players in Kuz, Bura, Wilson, Vrana, Bowey etc need to step in and get that TOI instead of a declining vet or a strong RS player who fades at playoff time.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Promoting players for the sake of promoting players is not something I'm comfortable with, either. If they step up and take that role via superior play, I'm all for it. But that shouldn't be plan A.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Promoting players for the sake of promoting players is not something I'm comfortable with, either. If they step up and take that role via superior play, I'm all for it. But that shouldn't be plan A.

No it shouldn't.

But if you acquire a vet making $$ on term then the young player will have very little chance of stepping in.

There has to be room and if you get a guy like Sharp/Eriksson then they are going to play in that spot no matter what. We don't need another Erat situation.

If there was a younger player that we could count on going forward it changes the dynamic.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
You can't always wait for players to step up and take spots. It doesn't always match contracts or fading vets. You have to sometimes deal with some growing pains and hope you've picked the right talent.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Eh, you can't force becoming the next Tampa Bay or Chicago. Those teams were also patient when they needed to be. There's no reason for Vrana or Bowey to be on the team next fall just because but that doesn't also mean that they won't be on the team in the spring if they're ready by then.

It's really Burakovsky in particular that factors into the 1RW search. Is he so far away from being an impact player that they need to go out and move assets to acquire "reliability"? Brouwer is the obvious player to move in or alongside any trade for a RW but that would still leave the lineup a bit questionable. Do 65 and 92 play on the same line? Is Ward back? Does 43 get top nine TOI? Where do 25/90 fit?

Generally, yes, I'd much rather they develop reliability. A large part of the problem there is that I think there's way too much emphasis put on structure and not making the wrong play rather than making the right/skilled play. It's obvious when watching their possession game what's been deemed important and what hasn't. It's hard to truly develop in such an environment to the point where Tampa Bay and Chicago are now.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
You can't always wait for players to step up and take spots. It doesn't always match contracts or fading vets. You have to sometimes deal with some growing pains and hope you've picked the right talent.

Well we did with Kuznetsov and I'd say that paid off in the end.

Burakovsky probably should have been a regular all season long but wasn't mostly because we had all kinds of vets clogging up the forward ranks.

I don't see why guys like Barber and Vrana can't step in and I certainly see Burakovsky taking big strides as long as we put him in the top 6 where he belongs.

I'd like to see Wilson, Bura and Kuz in the top 6. Ovechkin, Backstrom and MJ would be the others.

Just me tho. Put the kids in, stick with them and let them grow.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Might as well trade Carlson, Orpik, and Niskanen to clear room for Schmidt, Orlov, Djoos, Carrick, and Bowey while we're at it. And that Holtby fellow is blocking Grubauer. :sarcasm:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I don't see why guys like Barber and Vrana can't step in and I certainly see Burakovsky taking big strides as long as we put him in the top 6 where he belongs.
Tyler Johnson & Ondrej Palat both played two seasons in the AHL. Don't rush it. Don't force it. That's a hard plan to execute in practice when teams need wins and can't afford to wait until a player is ready. Cooper's usage of Drouin being a prime example.

Beyond the whole conservative NHL approach there's the matter of whether there is a competent AHL developmental approach as well but from a physical standpoint I don't expect either Vrana or Barber to be ready. Bowey maybe could be physically but I'd hope they don't go into next fall with either Carrick or Bowey at 3RD due to handedness.

I'd pencil in Galiev depending on their RW moves and desire to get Wilson moved up the lineup. I don't expect any other rookies with the team in the fall. Maybe later on as needed. None of them should be relied upon to the point where they have to scramble if they're not ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln