WJC: 2014 — Canada Roster Talk (Pt. IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beaker

In My Lab Goggles
Jun 4, 2007
In The Lab.
Awful rebound control, far too much movement and poor positioning. He didn't let any softies, but he sure was hard to watch. I was scared every time there was a shot on him. I can only imagine how the players feel in front of him.

Probably a lot better than how they feel in front of Paterson.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Laughton looked a lot better when he was with Horvat (a similar player but one that is more skilled than both Anderson and Gauthier).

Give him some decently skilled players to work with and his offensive play would improve. Hard to get going offensively when he's put with Anderson and Gauthier.

That's just something that I would do if I was Sutter.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Laughton looked a lot better when he was with Horvat (a similar player but one that is more skilled than both Anderson and Gauthier).

Give him some decently skilled players to work with and his offensive play would improve. Hard to get going offensively when he's put with Anderson and Gauthier.

That's just something that I would do if I was Sutter.

What's striking me so far with Laughton (including SSS) is his individualistic plays. I give him credit for effort and work on the PK in general but he doesn't use his teammates well so far I find.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
I think there will be made some changes up-front... we played basically 9-10 players in the third, so Rychel, Gauthier and Anderson will get split up somehow...

Hudon - Drouin - Laughton
McDavid - Petan - Mantha
Lazar - Gauthier - S.Reinhart
Leier - Horvat - Anderson
Rychel

Pouliot - Ekbland
Dumba - G.Reinhart
Pelech - Morrissey
Bigras

Fucale

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Horvat and Laughton both work well down low together they should keep that together, Gauthier looks akward lumbering around out there guy skates like gumby

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I think there will be made some changes up-front... we played basically 9-10 players in the third, so Rychel, Gauthier and Anderson will get split up somehow...

McDavid - Petan - Mantha
Rychel

Pouliot - Ekbland
Dumba - G.Reinhart
Pelech - Morrissey
Bigras

Fucale

So your plan is to put the guys who didn't, and shouldn't have played, with guys that were played?

Leave the guys who don't see much time together as the 4th.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
So far up front Mantha, Drouin, Lazar and Reinhart have stood out to me as having good tournaments. Guys like Petan, Horvat, Hudon, Laughton and McDavid have all had moments and shifts that show that they are able to pick their game up and contribute at a higher level.

Leier, Gauthier, Anderson and Rychel have all been less than impressive. Rychel moreso than the others, as he was expected to bring a secondary scoring facet in his game.

GuillaumeLetsundress*

i like when laughton got moved to horvat and mcdavids line, they worked well together. It was the first time i noticed laughton in a while. ekblad and puliout should stick together they look real good. hopefully reinhart with dumba will round out a very solid top 4

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
So your plan is to put the guys who didn't, and shouldn't have played, with guys that were played?

Leave the guys who don't see much time together as the 4th.

First of all, I think and hope they will get better, but mainly, they are gonna play anyway and it's better imo to try them with different linemates then let them play together as a 4th line. Idk, of course, maybe I'm wrong. I will cheer for any Sutter's line-up, and I wouldn't be opposed to leave it at what we saw in the third period, but I don't think it's likely. So I came up with my own silly suggestion. :D

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Dumba has been very uneven, but I still give the edge to Bigras, maybe not the worst in the tourney since I have not seen every team but it is hard to remember one good play he made so far.

Dumba is a very dumb undisciplined player he reminds me exactly of Phaneuf and that isn't a compliment. There is a reason why this guy was cut twice from this team in previous years.

Minnesota you were really out to lunch drafting this guy over Trouba that decision is going to haunt you for years.

bloggerfanthe*

McDavid - Petan - Mantha
Rychel

Pouliot - Ekbland
Dumba - G.Reinhart
Pelech - Morrissey
Bigras

Fucale

This might be the dumbest post in the whole thread. Why in god's name would you split up Mantha and Drouin? Because other guys are struggling? Sorry bud it doesn't work that way.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
This might be the dumbest post in the whole thread. Why in god's name would you split up Mantha and Drouin? Because other guys are struggling? Sorry bud it doesn't work that way.

I agree. Mantha and Drouin have more chemistry then anyone else on team Canada you don't split that up you give them more ice time.

neutral*

McDavid - Petan - Mantha
Rychel

Pouliot - Ekbland
Dumba - G.Reinhart
Pelech - Morrissey
Bigras

Fucale

Gauthier ahead of Horvat......?? God this kid is underrated

Lundface*

Poor Laughton straddled to dead weight like Gauthier all tournament. He has produced all year when paired with good players, not sure why he's stuck playing with guys who aren't good enough for this level.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Poor Laughton straddled to dead weight like Gauthier all tournament. He has produced all year when paired with good players, not sure why he's stuck playing with guys who aren't good enough for this level.

Agreed, he actually looks pretty good when he plays with players who know how to create. The problem I have with Gauthier is that he is being used exclusively as a fourth liner and a tiny bit for the PK. Why is he here if that's all he's going to do? He does not have the energy I seek in an energy player, and his offensive ability on weaker pairings is kinda non-existent. Other players are being used on the PK, such as Lazar.

Use Gauthier on PK more, use him in more of a pure shutdown role. Right now, he is superfluous at best.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Does seem odd to me that Gauthier isnt being used that much. Was he on for any of those goals right off the draw against the Czechs?

I said before the tourney with guys like Reinhart, Horvat, Laughton, and Lazar amongst others all on the team there isnt a need for a guy that only plays defensively. Now they arent using him and it really seems like a waste of a spot. If you bring a guy like that he should be killing every penalty but he isnt.

He hasnt done anything to make me say hes been terrible, but hes done nothing to say he deserves a spot either. If you go as the pure defensive center and dont get used in defensive situations whats the point?

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
My lineup:

Hudon - Drouin - Mantha
Lazar - Petan - Reinhart
Laughton - Horvat - McDavid
Leir - Gauthier - Anderson

Reinhart - Morrissey
Pouliot - Ekblad
Pelech - Dumba
Bigras

flip a coin on the goalies???

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
He had a terrible first two periods and should be nowhere near the PK.

Holy hell, what game were you watching? If it weren't for Pouliot's transition game - the whole game - Canada never would have gotten out of their zone. He was the only defenseman capable of making a tape-to-tape pass. That's without mentioning his work on the PP, which was stellar. He was dictating pace out there.

Pouliot's not an ideal PKer for a Canadian WJC team, but there's slim pickings on that front until Reinhart gets back, and he certainly hasn't hurt them.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
I haven't seen much of Jonathan Drouin (I'm in the States). I wasn't a fan of his......shall we say....demonstrative nature today. Is that his style or was today unusual? I understand he was frustrated (early penalty,etccc) but I was not impressed by his comportment ( is that the correct word? Lol)

Whileee

May 29, 2010
My lineup:

Hudon - Drouin - Mantha
Lazar - Petan - Reinhart

Reinhart - Morrissey
Pouliot - Ekblad
Pelech - Dumba
Bigras

I like this. :handclap:

Rychel has been the weakest forward, in my opinion.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Hudon - Drouin - Mantha
McDavid - Horvat - Reinhart
Rychel - Petan - Lazar
Leier - Laughton - Anderson
Gauthier

Pouliot - Ekblad
Reinhart - Dumba
Pelech - Morrissey
Bigras

Fucale
Paterson

I may have defencemen on their off side, I'm not sure. Just speculating on what Sutter wants with Reinhart back.

Can we please remove Rychel from Petan-Lazar? He's been an anchor.

MyNameIsNobody*

My lineup:

Hudon - Drouin - Mantha
Lazar - Petan - Reinhart

Reinhart - Morrissey
Pouliot - Ekblad
Pelech - Dumba
Bigras

6 hours ago

@NabilKarimTSN: Hudon looked to be favouring his right arm still as he walked to dressing room. Sutter says will play tomorrow #TSN #WJC2014

Hudon might not be ok...anyone has anything on this? will he play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad